• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Comedy is subjective and all, but you can appreciate the craft of a joke even if you don't laugh at it. Nichijou was king at non-sequitor comedy.

But of course.

The occasional sub-only release. Nichijou, this month's promo lead, is a sub-only, for instance. I don't recall that many though.

Counting the days!

Some of Nichijou's jokes are dreadful. They have loooooong sections with the robot girl and hakaze that are just bad joke after bad joke.

I'm also starting to wonder what some people are qualifying as jokes. Reading "bad joke after bad joke" makes me imagine of a constant exchange of dialogue, with no active character interaction that's slapped into the show. Times at the Shinonome household are rarely if ever like this. Simply because something "light and silly" happens doesn't mean it's a bad joke, unless you want to clarify yourself.

Ultimadrago

Or no info has been given out yet. I'll edit my post to prevent possible misleading.

Encouragement of Climb 3

goguh4zo18.png
goalstg.png

You go, girl!

Ultimadrago

Hell of a rescue battlecry!

has cajun surrounded himself with enough moe stuff that it begins to toxify through his skin?

doubt that.

His "moe capacity" must be maxed out.

Oh wow. you're right! I must check that out!

OMG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-adSKqI2CwE

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGHHHHHH

I'm so watching that!

Hidamari Sketch + NEET = Yurumates/Best group of NEET

cajunator

Banned
Encouragement of Climb 4

Cooking?!

climbingdfr16.png

But when are they going to climb that mountain?

Encouragement of Climb 5

I went camping twice. I hated it.

However, getting bit facts on anime-style is not shabby at all!

Oh man. I went camping a hundred times in boy scouts. Sometimes up in the mountains, sometimes with my family. Once I had a raccoon in the tent and my tentmate punched it in the face. I miss camping. Well sort of.

cajunator

Banned
I didn't see what you were saying this in reference to. Are you getting this one? It's the one I have... It's really nice.

Yes although I had to pay a stupid amount of money just now to get it.
Its actually really rare at this point unfortunately. Some crazy people on ebay were asking 400-700 for it.

My thoughts on the episode 21 preview for From the New World (Shin Sekai Yori).

DO NOT READ IF YOU DID NOT WATCH EPISODE 20 AND SEE THE NEXT EPISODE PREVIEW

I am guessing Maria and Mamoru are alive. I think Mamoru is horrifically mutated by the effects of Cantus slippage. Maria probably isn't doing so well, but I'm guessing few signs of physical mutation on her.

Humanity is fucked. I have no idea how Saki will get out of this. The only thing that could work is if the Fiend is killed somehow... actually I wonder. We saw a human attack another human, because the darkness obscured their vision and they thought that they were just attacking a false human. Saki is almost killed by a little kid, and mentions the kid -would- have died had he succeeded. So... why can't someone just take one for the team and kill the Fiend using their Cantus? Give him special glasses or do it during night so that the figure -could- be mistaken for something not entirely human. Then they can go through with the kill and die afterwards.

Of course that alone isn't enough. At this point only that and a total genocide of the Bakenezumi will suffice.

Ultimadrago

Dirty Pair: Project Eden

A fucking terrible movie and a collection of amazing music videos.

Basically everything I love about 80s anime and everything I hate about it all wrapped up in about a 1 hour time frame. A completely uninteresting, dull, nonsensical storyline that was honestly painful to follow wrapped around an absolutely amazing soundtrack with awesome scenes set to the tunes.

I guess it was worth my time but I would have been better off just watching the music bits on youtube.

WATTSMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Seriously, his initial introduction should be shown to the world.

BluWacky

There's no "might" about it -- it's definitely happening.

You misunderstand me. Of course there will be a PV at the screening, but Ikuni's own Tweets and the wording of the announcement are being deliberately coy by saying "there might be the first public screening of the PV for a new anime" :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
According to the Aniplex Q&A panel at Katsucon, the lack of a Nisemonogatari commentary on the US release was due to the contract with the licensor.

Yeah, I figured. I honestly would have rather they delayed it rather than drop it entirely, as it makes the release a bit pointless.

Or charged more I suppose, but I guess they don't think they could get away with a 400 dollar Nisemono set after the Bakemono set came out.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Did we? I really haven't paid attention. Regulus said we know absolutely nothing about it though.
DTL is talking about a video we got during the Feast of the Holy Innocents last year aka the Spanish-speaking world equivalent of April's Fools. It was fake.

Shergal

Sword of the Stranger (Some very light spoilers about the film, but be warned.)

So I finally got around to watching this one. Amazing action film, possibly the very best there is. BONES really are at a league of their own when it comes to exciting, thrilling action.
That said, I expected the film to be worse as a complete package, so it did surprise me that it was really enjoyable throughout.

Especially, I was pleased at the decent amount of good character acting animation. It's good that they don't disregard these aspects even if the film is clearly intended as a vehicle for fight sequences, I especially liked how they brought the character of Kotarou to life with lively and believable expressions.

The film takes a rather silly and over the top premise so seriously and presents the events in such a pompous manner that I'd normally just laugh at it, but the insane quality of the production and the tight script managed to surpass that barrier, and I ended up enjoying it a lot. It's very hard to not get sucked into a film when it opens with such an amazing action sequence set to some epic music.

fJFDXl0h.jpg

Neat establishing shot, gives the guy an aura of mysticism and lets you know he will be a main character right away.

The characters were interesting, as far as generic BUSHIDO WAY type characters can be anyway. Kotarou and the dynamic between him, his dog and Nanashi were well accomplished, enough to carry the film in between the action parts.

I especially liked this scene because it's simple and genuine, unlike most of the stuff relating to the story and side-characters. The little boy wants to learn to ride a horse, and the Byronic hero has nothing better to do, so he teaches him. It epitomizes the good aspects of the character interactions presented between our main trio, and this one felt executed with particular care.

The obvious poignant theme of the movie is about loyalty to authority against moral autonomy, but I really couldn't give a shit about this or the main plot due to two things:
-Its exploration is kind of lacking, and its take on it never goes beyond very generic samurai movie YAMATO DAMASHII stuff.
-I was too busy being awestruck by the action to care.

The clash between China and Japan was sort of just there, the differences in language being just a concern about verisimilitude rather than something serving a meaningful purpose. This, and the side-characters, were the weakest part of the film for me. Especially, fuck that monk, really. Fuck him.

But now let's get into the actual meat of the feature, the thing that makes it stand out and worthy of being watched: the production quality, more specifically the action animation.
There were some really nice backgrounds too, that helped setting the mood and give the film that super epic larger-than-life feel (along with the masterful BGM):

And finally, oh man... the action. Oh god I can't emphasize it enough. Not only we were gifted with Yutaka Nakamura's absolute masterpiece both in technical prowess and choreography, it was also complemented by animators of the highest calibre and a direction that really knew how to bring out the best of each sequence. Props to Masahiro Ando and his outstanding ability to direct the fights. They flow, their realism is really over the top in a way that makes it super thrilling, the camerawork is minutely considered and perfectly implemented, and overall they always give this sense of greatness, of adrenaline, that makes them an immense pleasure to watch.
Besides the obvious choice of Yutapon's final scene, the opener fight that presented Rarou really stroke my fancy because it also features the strongest points of the film (and the directing), and comes at a perfect time to hook you into the ~90 minutes of runtime ahead. According to Ben, it was animated by Hidetsugu Ito, so props to him.

All in all, this is a decent film, but a mind-boggling action flick that makes a very strong case for the power of animation as a medium that can take these sort of things way above live-action ever could, can or will ever be able to.

cajunator

Banned
Futari Wa Precure 12

A new villain appears. Best villain yet. She seems to be able to shapeshift and tries to trick the Precure girls into handing over Mipple/Mepple. I would just hand those annoying little shits over no questions asked. Wait that would end the world. Ok I guess I would be stuck with them then. Fuck.
Well anyway, Honoka's grandma seems to have prior knowledge about....something. Plus there are zombies and more asskicking. This show is lots of fun still.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
[Re: Cutie Honey] 3

Shit hit the fan, :sdburton happened, the world was on the brink of collapse, and just like that we got to the end of this. Yamaguchi-led GAINAX does a much improved job at this silly plot nonsense than the guys at Toei could afford with their meager Toei budgets, and the classic GAINAX flashbacks hit me like a tentacle hits a schoolgirl.

Woah, did I start watching Evangelion by mistake? Yamaguchi is indeed a vital part of the Rebuild project, but the amount of Annoisms in this episode make me reconsider my early position that he was too busy with the live-action Cutie Honey to even touch the animated sideshow. This was the last place I was expecting to find his favourite tropes in.

Wait a minute, are those the guys from Asuka Strikes? ANNO YOU BIG FAT HACK

There was one bit of Imaishi during this episode that looked incredibly out of place with the more grounded action that surrounded it. Super freaking weird to have it here, if you ask me.

===

[Re: Cutie Honey] FIN

Episode 1 - :7th with a side of :chet
Episode 2 - :wonzo
Episode 3 - :sdburton

Well, that was a thing GAINAX did once with Toei. I thought the Imaishi episode was the best one. You can tell how much the guy loves Go Nagai, plus his style just totally fits a silly super heroine show like this one. If you want to check this out I would recommend skipping episode two altogether, as there is very little to like in it beyond the naked women, of which there is plenty in the rest.

Verdict? I don't know. It's too inconsistent for me to label it anything. I'll give 3 pairs of tits and asses out of 5 because I'm a pussy and I'm way too tired to write anything coherent at the moment.

Should be a 4 at the very least!

Thanks for the impressions. :)

fertygo

Gintama 192 (End of stray cat arc)

Cats can't be more this badass

Best arc ever.

All in all, this is a decent film, but a mind-boggling action flick that makes a very strong case for the power of animation as a medium that can take these sort of things way above live-action ever could, can or will ever be able to.
Wow this such a exaggeration.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Futari Wa Precure 12

A new villain appears. Best villain yet. She seems to be able to shapeshift and tries to trick the Precure girls into handing over Mipple/Mepple. I would just hand those annoying little shits over no questions asked. Wait that would end the world. Ok I guess I would be stuck with them then. Fuck.
Well anyway, Honoka's grandma seems to have prior knowledge about....something. Plus there are
zombies and more asskicking. This show is lots of fun still.

Poisonyy really was one of the best villains from Futari wa. If anything I consider her to be the first legit villain they encountered as she actually got shit done. Pissard and that stupid oaf were just lame.

cajunator

Banned
Poisonyy really was one of the best villains from Futari wa. If anything I consider her to be the first legit villain they encountered as she actually got shit done. Pissard and that stupid oaf were just lame.

Yes. I quite like Poisony. The first intelligent villain of the bunch.

Ultimadrago

Sword of the Stranger (Some very light spoilers about the film, but be warned.)

I always have viewed it as a "love letter" to Japanese samurai/warrior films of old, so I was never bothered by the lack of depth in the tale. They are set with a rather simple structure, taking a step back. But I don't find that necessarily a bad thing. In that context, it pulls itself off well as an action film. You've shared before, but the bond between the main characters is still pleasant to view and was the most important relationship by the end of the day.

The bigger picture and conflict, as you've shared, didn't have too much priority in my viewing experience. However, you seem to feel moderately bothered (or strong on indifference) about the film's approach on the end on plot. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

13351548096245nf8b.gif

Shergal

I always have viewed it as a "love letter" to Japanese samurai/warrior films of old, so I was never bothered by the lack of depth in the tale. They are set with a rather simple structure, taking a step back. But I don't find that necessarily a bad thing. In that context, it pulls itself off well as an action film. You've shared before, but the bond between the main characters is still pleasant to view and was the most important relationship by the end of the day.

The bigger picture and conflict, as you've shared, didn't have too much priority in my viewing experience. However, you seem to feel moderately bothered (or strong on indifference) about the film's approach on the end on plot. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

I would feel bothered if I could. The plot is pretty mediocre, and I don't buy the "it's a homage" thing (though I have watched practically zero samurai flicks, so I may be wrong here).

The main three characters and their interactions are the most salvageable thing, and I really enjoyed that aspect of the movie.

But really, I came for action, and I got action. As I said in the other post, I actually expected everything besides the action to be much worse than it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom