• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiKerot

...isn't that the anime everyone complains about having terrible production qualities in here? :-|

The production on that show is a mixed bag - some of it actually looks pretty great, which just makes some of the horrific perspective failure and composition issues all the more obvious.

I see, thanks

When you look through all the other things Tokuma Shoten deal with, in terms of anime releases, you're essentially just looking at Ghibli movies and Ghost in the Shell. You can probably see why they'd assume things are worth perhaps more than they actually are!

cajunator

Banned
I just found a Komugi figure I have been wanting for about 190 bucks. It is normally listed for much more so I jumped on it. Probably a mistake but its Komugi. Lets see if I got screwed over or not.

Jintor

Yeah, but Madman have the entire Ghibli and GiTS catalogue bought up lock, stock, and barrel. Maybe there's more to it than just that...

Steroyd

Unfortunately a Yotsubato anime doesn't seem likely :(

It's too bad because if KyoAni made it it would be one of the most amazing things ever.

We'll always have that fake .gif someone made.

i66hpdmXM1ZrH.gif

This hurts so bad. :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
HeartCatch PreCure! 19

http://i.minus.com/iZlAEad5M3wvH.gif

I almost forgot just how good this show is. Some great and charming animation mixed in with some pretty well written personal; conflicts. Great stuff really but I can't say I'm looking forward to
another fucking mascot... unless that means a new PRECURE?!?!!
doki doki

Also I don't think I remember the girls using that power ever again in the show.

DiGiKerot

Yeah, but Madman have the entire Ghibli and GitS catalogue bought up lock, stock, and barrel. Maybe there's more to it than just that...

GitS licensing is weird, though, in as much as every GitS production thus far has been made with heavy involvement of Western money from the outset - this goes all the way back to the original Ghost in the Shell movie, where Manga Entertainment was a major investor in the production, and continued into SAC when Manga and (specifically the US branch of) Bandai Entertainment were also investors on the production committee, tying up foreign rights from their origin. I'm kind of curious to see how ARISE pans out in this respect.

Ghibli stuff has been more than proven to be worth the money in terms of licensing. It's the closest anime has to a global house-hold name on a studio-level (by which I mean, discounting Pokemon).

Dennou Coil is kind of just this weird thing they produced once without foreign investment.

Jintor

GitS licensing is weird, though, in as much as every GitS production thus far has been made with heavy involvement of Western money from the outset - this goes all the way back to the original Ghost in the Shell movie, where Manga Entertainment was a major investor in the production, and continued into SAC when Manga and (specifically the US branch of) Bandai Entertainment were also investors on the production committee, tying up foreign rights from their origin. I'm kind of curious to see how ARISE pans out in this respect.

Ghibli stuff has been more than proven to be worth the money in terms of licensing. It's the closest anime has to a global house-hold name on a studio-level (by which I mean, discounting Pokemon).

Dennou Coil is kind of just this weird thing they produced once without foreign investment.

fair enough

zeroshiki

From The New World - 02

This rabbit hole runs deep (゜o゜;)

I can't say I feel bad about that little shit who got err... disappeared but I get the feeling its not as simple as that.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
From The New World - 02

This rabbit hole runs deep (゜o゜;)

I can't say I feel bad about that little shit who got err... disappeared but I get the feeling its not as simple as that.

The manga portrays these events in a different manner. There, they make it pretty clear that...
It is as simple as that!

(Not really a spoiler. It's something the manga would show you at this point.)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Holy shit, is that an accurate description of the comedy? If there is any way to turn me off from ever watching the show, that description does the job.
To be fair, Nichijou is very hit and miss, and the misses are what I was talking about. It does have good segments like the aforementioned House of Cards scene. As the ability to even talk about comedy is under dispute, what makes this inconsistent nature worth mentioning is that the misses all exhibit similar failings, and steps to make them stronger are easy to think of. Like I said, it has a really bad habit of going for wild reactions just for wild reaction's sake while also thinking that if some is good, more is always better. Some skits REALLY overstay their welcome this way and become tiresome as a result.

True. Galaxy angel is awesome but even it has over the top moments. Shit, even Excel Saga is nonstop insanity. What the fuck do people expect from comedy? You want comedy to be over the top! Otherwise its just that stupid highbrow hipster comedy deadpan shit that few people like (except Sarah Silverman. shes alright)
So you don't like humor that would be missed by a five year old. Noted.

Damn, now I kinda want to go back to my Daria av. JUST FOR YOU.

DiGiKerot

True. Galaxy angel is awesome but even it has over the top moments. Shit, even Excel Saga is nonstop insanity. What the fuck do people expect from comedy? You want comedy to be over the top! Otherwise its just that stupid highbrow hipster comedy deadpan shit that few people like (except Sarah Silverman. shes alright)

The problem with that is that, when you end up with a show like Tamako Market, I end up being in discussions with people regarding whether or not the show is actually funny. Because, you know, there's not a joke unless SOMEONE IS SHOUTING ABOUT IT, as far as anime goes, and I kind of like a bit of dry, understated humour every now and again.

duckroll

Woah, Ando worked on this? The things you find while staff whoring!

Different Ando. 安藤正浩 is an animation director at ACGT. 安藤真裕 is the action animator and famed director of Sword of the Stranger associated with BONES. You can tell the difference because the BONES Ando pretty much never does animation direction. Instead he upgraded from animation to storyboards and actual direction.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The problem with that is that, when you end up with a show like Tamako Market, I end up being in discussions with people regarding whether or not the show is actually funny. Because, you know, there's not a joke unless SOMEONE IS SHOUTING ABOUT IT, as far as anime goes, and I kind of like a bit of dry, understated humour every now and again.
Worse is when Person A does something silly/absurd and Person B is then obligated to explain exactly why it is silly/absurd every time and this is never acknowledged by Person A so you immediately start this over.

Thinking of Yuri Seijin Naoko-san in particular here. Contrast to something like Hare nochi Guu where there is actual back and forth, even if one is trying to fuck with the other at each step.

sonicmj1

Worse is when Person A does something silly/absurd and Person B is then obligated to explain exactly why it is silly/absurd every time and this is never acknowledged by Person A so you immediately start this over.

Thinking of Yuri Seijin Naoko-san in particular here. Contrast to something like Hare nochi Guu where there is actual back and forth, even if one is trying to fuck with the other at each step.

Can't say I'm much of a fan of the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure approach to comedy. It actually mars one of my favorite Nichijou sketches (the principal and the deer).

As hot-blooded as the action in that sketch is, the stuff I find the most amusing are the circumstances around it.

Jintor

Can't say I'm much of a fan of the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure approach to comedy. It actually mars one of my favorite Nichijou sketches (the principal and the deer).

As hot-blooded as the action in that sketch is, the stuff I find the most amusing are the circumstances around it.

I just couldn't stop laughing at the idea that the principal for reasons entirely unexplained inexplicably suplexes an (equally inexplicable) deer

It's just... man. Laughing at the utter absurdity of the situation in an otherwise normal setting.

duckroll

I think my favorite type of comedy in anime is the inappropriate-person/action-repetition type of gag or skit. When someone does something or says something completely inappropriate or out of place, and then everyone tries to ignore that person by continuing their conversation or activity normally, only to have the person do/say it again, and again, and again, and at some point I just lose it. Obviously execution is key here, but when done well, nothing makes me laugh harder.

cajunator

Banned
I think my favorite type of comedy in anime is the inappropriate-person/action-repetition type of gag or skit. When someone does something or says something completely inappropriate or out of place, and then everyone tries to ignore that person by continuing their conversation or activity normally, only to have the person do/say it again, and again, and again, and at some point I just lose it. Obviously execution is key here, but when done well, nothing makes me laugh harder.

I have a habit of blurting out "sandwiches" at work. Its a ridiculous thing to say at random but for some reason I just started saying it one day. Now its like my catchphrase. I got the nickname " alien".

DiGiKerot

I have a habit of blurting out "sandwiches" at work. Its a ridiculous thing to say at random but for some reason I just started saying it one day. Now its like my catchphrase. I got the nickname " alien".

Suddenly, your Takane-favouritism is starting to make a lot more sense...

Novid

Banned
Maybe Oz dealt with anime better conserning how they started out - but then again it doesnt explain the UK. I tend to think that OZ dont care much about the content because their animation business is a bit weaker than the rest of the west. Or it could be that they are the only other media companies that allow Aberigonals and Asians to work in said media unlike in the US and sometimes UK.

Novid

Banned
Speaking of which, with all of the connections in history Nawlins have to the French and so on, how come it doesnt have stronger presence in the US dubbing industry?

cajunator

Banned
Speaking of which, with all of the connections in history Nawlins have to the French and so on, how come it doesnt have stronger presence in the US dubbing industry?

Probably because houston is a much larger population area to gather talent from that is only 4 hours away.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
has cajun surrounded himself with enough moe stuff that it begins to toxify through his skin?

Nah, his skin's much tougher than any outside toxin could fight against. ^^;

Now if I consumed as much moe cuteness as cajun I'd be labeled a biohazard.

cajunator

Banned
Its kind of funny because all my coworkers either smoke or drink heavily to deal with stress. I just indulge in Cute and it melts away the stress of life. Thats how I cope.

Novid

Banned
I think that Polar Bear Cafe is more popular than what the Oricon ratings take into effect. Sadly, nobody will be intrestested in the states unless the animals start cursing up a storm.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dirty Pair: Project Eden

A fucking terrible movie and a collection of amazing music videos.

Basically everything I love about 80s anime and everything I hate about it all wrapped up in about a 1 hour time frame. A completely uninteresting, dull, nonsensical storyline that was honestly painful to follow wrapped around an absolutely amazing soundtrack with awesome scenes set to the tunes.

I guess it was worth my time but I would have been better off just watching the music bits on youtube.

Ultimadrago

Things like jokes or gags still have a basic structure to them (writing & execution) thus giving us a chance to analyze and discuss why we may find it funny or unfunny. The fact that someone may not change their views is irrelevant as you'll never know until you actually try and discuss it.

Where was the discussion and analyzing?

To be fair, Nichijou is very hit and miss, and the misses are what I was talking about. It does have good segments like the aforementioned House of Cards scene. As the ability to even talk about comedy is under dispute, what makes this inconsistent nature worth mentioning is that the misses all exhibit similar failings, and steps to make them stronger are easy to think of. Like I said, it has a really bad habit of going for wild reactions just for wild reaction's sake while also thinking that if some is good, more is always better. Some skits REALLY overstay their welcome this way and become tiresome as a result.

Oh finally, here's some.

I always find the term "hit and miss" an odd keyword in discussion for Nichijou because I have trouble finding a comedy that "hits" (I'm guessing this means "Makes me laugh hard") on all or 99% of its more obvious, overt "gags." Yet the show in particular gets the phrase tacked onto it plenty. The exclamations are key to Nichijou's approach to exaggerating reactions to everyday events. In questioning and taking familiar events at crazy value in a normal ending. I wouldn't want it any other way (generally speaking, as there are rough and overly long skits) and I don't believe having everyone keep the volume down would necessarily make for a stronger work. If the type of reactions aren't working for someone, it's an understandable that it will only grow more as the show goes on. Having it stand as the majority makes it even more applicable to being an unresolved pattern for the viewer. Touching the possible solutions aside, it would be optimal to have more of a variety in the focus of skits besides only volume and "intensity". It works great in terms of what the show revolves around, but bettering a possibility to find different cogs of a skit to focus definitely wouldn't hurt. That would mean turning down the volume and finding a different way to display the events that doesn't involve "freak outs" every time. Nichijou doesn't involve that every time, but there is a lot of shouting.

To go on the other end of the spectrum I find Daily Lives of High School Boys has a worse time handling its type of monotone everyday humor well (regardless of same director and more, it struggles to be as good as even earlier Gintama, which excels in that very tone, many times). It also has underwhelming exclamations many times which I don't find cleverly nuanced usually, but simply flat. Yes, you can have a flat loud joke, but you can also have a flat level-tone joke (or more) just as easily.

All this said, there are a few skits that I find do stick around longer than I feel needed. The "Book Smash" is the first one that comes to mind. Some really did hold the clock in terms of execution and do cause for an active desire to be walked off-screen. I don't recall enough to shake many sticks at, but it is present and hampers on the scene itself and time for different scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom