• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm covering some of your comments with spoilers just in case. We don't have the same spoiler policy as other TV show threads in here.

Which one? Maria or Shun?
Both.

It's clever thinking.
It's not the act of creating wind, it's the act of forcing away the poison gas, that impresses the villagers.
Isn't that a pretty obvious thing to do?
This is explained.
As the young boy says, Yakomaru's forces retreated at sunrise to lull the villagers into a false sense of security - these are people with only rudimentary battle skills, as Saki herself says. The humans are exhausted and not properly on their guard. By sending the monsters in through the canals - which the humans aren't expecting - they gained the element of surprise again.
Maybe because we've only seen things from Group 1's perspective were we see them block arrows, stop explosions, make whirlwinds, fly, create fire etc. I find it hard to believe that they didn't have the rudimentary abilities required to defend themselves.
Who's to say they won't? They've only just established that the queerats are using a Fiend for certain. When have they had time to come up with a plan? At least with the previous Fiend they weren't also the target of a co-ordinated attack by a large army of suicidal sentient rats - who have actually done most of the damage thus far, rather than the Fiend. They are just not prepared for the situation.

The doctor talks as if it is impossible, they talk about leaving the women behind to die, the last scene is about them running away leaving another person to die. At no time do they make anything of an effort to think of any way to slow down or injure the fiend.

Jintor

Fair enough.

God Nichijou is hilarious. I've only had less than a dozen skits I skipped due to boredom. Which is admittedly a higher hit rate than Lucky Star, but I don't think I've laughed as hard before.

Is there a list somewhere of its EDs after it switches to the second cour? I get the feeling that they're changing, but I don't know what the songs are. A few sounds familiar.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think that the guy who made Pro Dark is still active so there'll probably be a fix at some point. If not, no big deal, I guess.

At least the NeoGAF User Highlighter greasemonkey script seems to still override the official user highlighter for those who find the blue unpleasant, so you can still either change it to the color of your choice or, if you want it gone completely, just change the color to #f1f1f1, which is the normal background color for posts.

edit: oh wait, forgot that posts alternate in color. I'm testing it right now, still doesn't look bad.

apparently it was only for a month so I wouldn't worry about it

How does he keep dodging death? This is at least two normally-would've-been-permas for Tomat now.

Ultimadrago

God Nichijou is hilarious. I've only had less than a dozen skits I skipped due to boredom. Which is admittedly a higher hit rate than Lucky Star, but I don't think I've laughed as hard before.

One part of me wants to slap your hand hard, while the other part wants to brofist you hard!

Is there a list somewhere of its EDs after it switches to the second cour? I get the feeling that they're changing, but I don't know what the songs are. A few sounds familiar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichijou

Wikipedia has a full drop list.

Smile Precure! 25

LmsR02S.jpg

Beach episode! ish. I am amused at how the villains basically decide what to do based off what is being aired on television. I bet that TV is the ultimate villain since it always leads them to where the Precure are. I wouldn't mind seeing more combo artes too.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I vote "sakuga" be bannable or turned into "******".

Jintor

This teacher dude who is love with hilariously dojikko sensei is awesome

I also love the way skits tie together. Like the Igo Soccer student also being Sukurai-sensei's brother, or the stained glass remaining up the top of the classroom ever since that dumb little skit about Yukka being unable to get into the classroom without anybody noticing. Also now there's crows everywhere for some reason or the other?

Ultimadrago

I vote "sakuga" be bannable or turned into "******".

"Sasukega"

This teacher dude who is love with hilariously dojikko sensei is awesome

I also love the way skits tie together. Like the Igo Soccer student also being Sukurai-sensei's brother, or the stained glass remaining up the top of the classroom ever since that dumb little skit about Yukka being unable to get into the classroom without anybody noticing. Also now there's crows everywhere for some reason or the other?

The show has quite a number of tie-ins and silent references (on past events) shown within skits and between them. See how many you can find!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Fair enough.

Skipping skits on your first watch of Nichijou is a terrible, terrible thing.

=(

Hipira-kun 08

So, meteor smashes the sky, becomes a plant that hatches little babies that start eating everything, then out of the hole in the sky comes a giant vacuum cleaner that eats all these babies saving the day!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
The awesome thing about animating tiles (or similar repeating patterns) is that when in motion they sort of create an illusion by not moving at all. Look at the floor when she's running towards the camera. The background is in motion but the tiles are stationary. Kinda cool.

Branduil

The awesome thing about animating tiles (or similar repeating patterns) is that when in motion they sort of create an illusion by not moving at all. Look at the floor when she's running towards the camera. The background is in motion but the tiles are stationary. Kinda cool.

It's an old trick often used in video games prior to 3D.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I always find the term "hit and miss" an odd keyword in discussion for Nichijou because I have trouble finding a comedy that "hits" (I'm guessing this means "Makes me laugh hard") on all or 99% of its more obvious, overt "gags." Yet the show in particular gets the phrase tacked onto it plenty. The exclamations are key to Nichijou's approach to exaggerating reactions to everyday events. In questioning and taking familiar events at crazy value in a normal ending. I wouldn't want it any other way (generally speaking, as there are rough and overly long skits) and I don't believe having everyone keep the volume down would necessarily make for a stronger work. If the type of reactions aren't working for someone, it's an understandable that it will only grow more as the show goes on. Having it stand as the majority makes it even more applicable to being an unresolved pattern for the viewer. Touching the possible solutions aside, it would be optimal to have more of a variety in the focus of skits besides only volume and "intensity". It works great in terms of what the show revolves around, but bettering a possibility to find different cogs of a skit to focus definitely wouldn't hurt. That would mean turning down the volume and finding a different way to display the events that doesn't involve "freak outs" every time. Nichijou doesn't involve that every time, but there is a lot of shouting.

To go on the other end of the spectrum I find Daily Lives of High School Boys has a worse time handling its type of monotone everyday humor well (regardless of same director and more, it struggles to be as good as even earlier Gintama, which excels in that very tone, many times). It also has underwhelming exclamations many times which I don't find cleverly nuanced usually, but simply flat. Yes, you can have a flat loud joke, but you can also have a flat level-tone joke (or more) just as easily.

All this said, there are a few skits that I find do stick around longer than I feel needed. The "Book Smash" is the first one that comes to mind. Some really did hold the clock in terms of execution and do cause for an active desire to be walked off-screen. I don't recall enough to shake many sticks at, but it is present and hampers on the scene itself and time for different scenes.
I'm not really talking about volume as much as pacing or punctuation. When properly employed you can have high intensity, but comedy shouldn't be P90X where it just keeps going and going for its own sake. An example of this is the Somen Lady bit where it just keeps going Additional Line to EH? to Additional Line to EH? and on and on. I mean, had those reactions been placed more smartly, they would have been much funnier. Another one is the Manga Paper Freakout which is almost like a case study on why conjunctions are good instead of putting full periods on every clause, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom