• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sasami-san 03

Huh? Well, at least it's what I'd expect from Shaft. I wonder where it goes from here though. It's still weird hearing the brother's voice.

Jex

I've tried starting Gintama thrice now. I never get through the first episode without sleeping.

Hey, you should have come to us first. We'd have said skip the first episode. In fact, here's some healthy advice for tacking any really long running episodic series: it's okay to skip ahead if you're bored.
I'm liking what I'm seeing in these Gintama impressions, but man, the early episodes are nothing but mostly bad humor. Really hard to get into the series.

Stick with it or skip ahead. Man up. I'd say it gets pretty great once you get into the 20's.

Syrinx

Darker Than Black 26

Hot man-on-elephant love.....go onnnnnnnnn.

So this was kinda a side story about how Otsuka writes anime fan-fiction (complete with the above) and ended up encountering Hei and wrote about it, putting a secret pin number in her story by accident. Then she sees him in real life and identifies him based on his sexy...collarbones. Okay. Well everything works out in the end. Also, Yin has made frietnds with Kurosawa's assistant.

Just to make sure,
this all took place before Hell's Gate incident, right? Both Huang and Mao died in the process of that, and Amber's time power didn't go back that far.

Jex

Skipping Gintama episodes is even worse than skipping OPs and using the ignore feature.

Eh, there's some really flat episodes. Learn to cut the fat.
Haven't seen myself that series... but from what I've heard of the it, doing that skip (and taking into account how charismatic are the characters and all) would loosen the impact that contrast between the humorous and serious moments give, isn't it? I suppose having seen more facets of those same characters makes them more empathic...

I'd say you can skip episodic episodes most of the time as there's no character growth or plot carried over in general.

Thoraxes

Robotics;Notes - 14

No amount of foresight could've prepared my heart for this episode.

None I tell you.

Also Kona/Frau has always been my favorite, so just HNNNNGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH-

The robot stuff was scary, not to mention the brainwashed man who wound up dead in the Philippines shortly after. Shit is getting more and more real as we begin to get into the secret organizations. When the lid finally gets blown off it's gonna be real good.

Also, I love Frau. That was just plain adorable.

Bonus gif because it was great

tvBqSK9.gif

Heartcatch 49 spoilers:
I was referring to the girls literally gattaing, not gattai as a euphemism for :SDBurton.
Yes ..but you have to start somewhere ..hand holding , kiss on the cheek , kiss of the forehead or else before you gattai ..

A special mention should be made for those who haven't made the first step possible.

Eh, there's some really flat episodes. Learn to cut the fat.
Very hard to in gintama because the most serious arcs start with some silly premises.

The best way is to watch them all
I'd say you can skip episodic episodes most of the time as there's no character growth or plot carried over in general.

But the episodic episodes sometimes have crazy comedy ..again it's a dillema !!

Oh, we're doing this again?

Fine, I'll watch episode 2 of Utena if you watch ep 12 of Medaka Box Abnormal.

??? there is some crazy negociation going on here ...

ZetaEpyon

Hey, you should have come to us first. We'd have said skip the first episode. In fact, here's some healthy advice for tacking any really long running episodic series: it's okay to skip ahead if you're bored.

Stick with it or skip ahead. Man up. I'd say it gets pretty great once you get into the 20's.

Yeah I felt more or less the same about the beginning. It was OK at first, but after 20 or so I really felt it come into its own. Either that or it just finally really clicked with me.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Random Tamako Market question:

Shori's pony tail... is it being held in place by
pocky
? 'Cause in a couple shots it kinda looks like that's pocky in her hair...

Kagami

Queen's Blade Rebellion Premium Visual Book OVA - 'Seijo no Hanmon ~Shinkou no Tobira ha, Mata Hiraku ~'

It's weird watching this after Senran Kagura. Kobayashi Yuu voices the main character, Shigi, but she sounds nothing like her character in Senran. Instead she's a (mostly) prim-and-proper sounding nun.

No Ymir stripping? They skimp out on her too much.
I'm not specifically a huge Ymir fan but it still seems a little unfair how little time she spends naked compared to the rest of them.

Regarding the ending,
I'm glad they had Shigi actually carry through her words and burn the bandits to death. I always thought it was a little silly how characters like Melona and Erina talk as if they're vicious killers but manage to spend two entire seasons and six OVAs without killing anyone, at least directly. (They did lead a few armies.) I know they're playing a careful balancing act of characterization vs. turning off potential fans, but it feels goofy. If they want a franchise with pretty women fighters who never hurt anyone, the Queen's Blade world really isn't the one to do it in. The Ambition of Oda Nobuna suffered from that, too.

I also want to say, the bonus short animations on both these Premium Visual Book OVAs are way better than the those crappy Gynos Academy shorts on the first two seasons' BDs. I don't know why those turned out so bad, but not only did they have little actual animation, they didn't even match the character designs from the show. They look like some one-man doujin anime you might buy off DLsite. The Premium Visual Book bonuses, on the other hand, while very simple, look right and animate well.

Now that I've finished all the OVAs, it's finally time to start the Rebellion TV series.
With any luck I'll finish in time to do my 2012 AOTY votes.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Vivid Red 03
The episode are rather disappointing and as usual too much ass and crotch shot

Yes and loli ass In Your Face

Yuri, butt and crotch shots included.

Excellent.

OMG Don't tease me like that, Takamura!! There definitely needs to be an Akane and imouto docking scene. I need to see her in a Vividred outfit.

Like some have said, you might not like it because it's episodic but it's a damn fun show that doesn't try to hide what it is: A show about pantsless girls who are essentially gender bent versions of veteran pilots in propeller legs fighting aliens in a pseudo-WWII setting.

I love it, but it is an episodic character show, so if you don't like episodic TV then probably not.
If you don't like episodic shows at all, I'd also avoid Haganai that you were asking about, as well as IdolM@ster in case you were getting tempted by that discussion.

So tempting >< but I think I'll continue to avoid it for now, and just read my Milkie Strike books instead. In the case of IdolM@ster I was already avoiding it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Medaka Box Abnormal] 12

I was promised hilarity slash awesomeness, and all I got was... confusion? This was akin to watching a match of Calvinball, which in itself isn't a concept I'm against! I imagine I would appreciate the non-sequiturness of this episode had I kept up with Medaka Box to begin with, but if the rest of the battles in the so hyped genre shift are as non-sensical as this one then I don't see anything of the sort that tells me my dropping of this show in the beginning was unjustified.
I gotta admit I laughed at the opening and the following scene with whatsherface running late with toast on her mouth solely because it made me think this was gonna be a parody of GAINAX troll endings. It would have been less of a waste of time had they taken that meta approach.
Oh, we're doing this again?

Fine, I'll watch episode 2 of Utena if you watch ep 12 of Medaka Box Abnormal.
Your turn.

Jex

[Mouryou no Hako] - 1

Sorry guys, I've been really shit in discussing this series despite the fact that I'm the one who has always been pimping it. My apologies.

I'd really forgot how extraordinary dense this episode was in terms of sheer volume of ideas. It can be a real struggle to keep up in parts and I have no trouble admitting that I had to re-watch multiple parts of this episode to try and understand what the show was communicating. It really isn't like any other show because every scene tends to be crammed with important detail, for example a short scene between Yuriko and her mother might involve:

Visual symbolism: Dolls - implying the other, suggesting being forced into a role (in this specific case), loss of individuality, female role etc
Visual symbolism: mirror - reflecting duality, vanity, a decline into old age, failing as a human being, a kind of death
Discussions that touch on: authority, control, societal roles, ageing, adulthood, womanhood, purity, sexuality

all that on top of just the character and story developments. Phew. That's a lot to keep up with in a fast moving show. The real problem is that very little of what is going on is just window dressing, when the characters are dancing in the moonlight (with a weird motion blur filter on) the moon isn't just the moon, it obviously has some other meaning that you're supposed to get. You're not supposed to sit back and let it role over you - you're supposed to engage with the material and think about what it's trying to say. Very few works demand that of you.

I think firehawk12 's theme-side would get a big kick out of this episode (I don't know about the show as a whole). It really is a very literary work. I rarely make direct recommendations or pledges to people because I find it a bit presumptuous - it implies that I have a fairly serious understanding of their preferences and enjoyments which is quite hard to gauge from casual internet discussions. However, as I've had some (extremely) protracted discussions with him I feel that this kind of thing would be write up his ally. Then again, he could rip it to shreds. Who knows.

Jex

But that would mean reading the plot ahead of time which ruins the show.
You're talking about like, arcs. When I watched the series in large, regular chunks I came across the odd (purely episodic story) which didn't do anything for me and I proceeded to skip it. It was very easy to tell when it was an arc and when it was just a one-off thing.

Jex

Also, it's really hard talking about the show and knowing stuff and not dropping any hints or breadcrumbs.

Robotics;Notes 14

Shit finally got real! Best episode prominently starring best character! Frau is so awesome.

Only issue is the conflict ended too soon, but there does seem to be more to this sinister plot than a simple robot attack.

Syrinx

So according to Amazon, my Utena package is in Charlotte. But we've got icy roads 'n shit today around the area. Does UPS abide by the same "rain, snow, sleet, hail" creed that the postal service does?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So according to Amazon, my Utena package is in Charlotte. But we've got icy roads 'n shit today around the area. Does UPS abide by the same "rain, snow, sleet, hail" creed that the postal service does?
UPS trucks go out early in the morning.

Jex

Also, I'm an idiot because the point of backlog season was to watch stuff on the same day to engender a natural conversation around the work to occur but I am weeks behind arggggh

[Medaka Box Abnormal] 12

I was promised hilarity slash awesomeness, and all I got was... confusion? This was akin to watching a match of Calvinball, which in itself isn't a concept I'm against! I imagine I would appreciate the non-sequiturness of this episode had I kept up with Medaka Box to begin with, but if the rest of the battles in the so hyped genre shift are as non-sensical as this one then I don't see anything of the sort that tells me my dropping of this show in the beginning was unjustified.

I gotta admit I laughed at the opening and the following scene with whatsherface running late with toast on her mouth solely because it made me think this was gonna be a parody of GAINAX troll endings. It would have been less of a waste of time had they taken that meta approach.

Your turn.

You suck.

Give me a bit.

Syrinx

The nearby UPS distribution center is just a few miles down I-85, but trucks go out early in the morning.

I'm not actually in Charlotte now, though. Back home in Huntersville. It is listed as "out for delivery" though, so I wager there's a truck out there. Just with routes to make before it gets here, I guess.

Maoyuu 4

XDXMjaM.jpg

Is this :chet ?

Great episode with LOADSA economics and Demon Korbo being cute as per usual.
There appears to be a battle some time in the future, in which case I'll be waiting to see how they animate fight scenes.

cajunator

Banned
Like some have said, you might not like it because it's episodic but it's a damn fun show that doesn't try to hide what it is: A show about pantsless girls who are essentially gender bent versions of veteran pilots in propeller legs fighting aliens in a pseudo-WWII setting.

That makes it sound more fun than it actually is.
I'm not sure why I don't enjoy it as much as I should. They have cat ears and everything.

No skipping(except first two episodes)! No items! Final Destination!
That picture. I just woke up and seeing that nearly made my heart stop.

Azumanga Daioh 10

Poor Sakaki, all she wants is to pet a kawaii neko-chan. =/

Also, looking forward to seeing how the addition of Kasuga affects things.

Speaking of Kagura...

jOAnflnnHqTCL.png

Goddamn.

Now I think you understand my Kaorin drawing.
Sakaki is so cool! She is also determined to pet the cat.

Vividread operation - 03

New girl is kinda cool.. they certainly are rushing the introduction arcs to get done with it as soon as possible so we can have the whole team.

I guess that's alright.
I think the grandfather doesn't wish to return to his own body any time soon.

This show is quite colorful. I have enjoyed it a lot more than Strike Witches for some reason.

Speaking of TTGL, I got my $6 amazon DVDs on Wednesday and have just been continuously watching them non-stop.

TTGL will do that to you. Its soooooo easy to marathon.

For reference, this is the shot that sparked my curiosity.

07C15CCE-5C36-474E-AF7B-5EAECFFBC704-531-0000006455087075.jpg

You just wanted to post another picture of Shiori :p

cjkeats

Random Tamako Market question:

Shori's pony tail... is it being held in place by
pocky
? 'Cause in a couple shots it kinda looks like that's pocky in her hair...

haha I noticed that and had the same thought. Probably just a Pocky looking accessory.

Also, this is a Koyani show, it's "Rocky"
or is that Shaft? Or all anime?

cajunator

Banned
It really is impressive how KyoAni has a massive collection of cute characters at its disposal, and so easily creates more. Although they are starting to resemble each other.
They don't do colored hair much anymore so its getting a bit difficult to differentiate them.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
It really is impressive how KyoAni has a massive collection of cute characters at its disposal, and so easily creates more. Although they are starting to resemble each other.
They don't do colored hair much anymore so its getting a bit difficult to differentiate them.

Sadly bodly colored hair is becoming less and less common these days. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom