• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 04

mBF2heq.jpg

D'aww.

More economics, more time jumping around, more silly character moments. Still liking what I'm seeing.

Nafe

Operation Luscious Legs and Ravishing Rumps

Episodes 1-3

UoWSZZ5.jpg

I liked this girls design the best from the concept art that I had seen and it turns out she's this shows mysterious girl who works alone type.
I like her scarf too.

I actually think the show looks not too bad with it's character designs and backgrounds and I like the shows general happy and fun atmosphere that it tries to present. Even when things seem serious it usually changes it around to something more amusing. For example, in the first episode with the girls grandfather
it looked like he might have been killed or seriously injured but he entered the body of a stuffed animal to become the shows mascot type character instead. While not very realistic, the way they just kind of crammed his body into the freezer was kind of funny too.

It did also seem to have this more amusing self awareness in regards to some of the tropes of the genre's such as when Aoi transformed damaged the aircraft carrier and she apologized and commented about paying for the damages.

I think the transformation sequences are pretty slick and the fights seemed to have pretty good action and animation to them. I think my favorite part is when the girls do their vivid docking combos, as I actually really like the designs there and their over the top attacks are pretty cool.

I don't mind shows having some fan service and the more subtle or quick shots of the girls behinds don't really bother me but when they're literally stuffed into the camera for a few moments or there's that shot focusing on something between the girls legs it's pretty off putting and just feels like they're trying too hard. The former feels like a street entertainer doing some wacky antics to try and get your attention, where the latter feels like that same person being right up in your face yelling "look at me! look at me!" Even some of the attack names such as "Naked Impact" make it feel like the show's trying too hard in the fan service department.

I'm kind of hit and miss with the shows story though. The premise actually sounded like it could be okay in the first episode and the pacing and energy, combined with the fights actually made me like the first episode overall. The second I found to be a bit more boring as things seemed more predictable like they were just checking boxes and it didn't have as much of that energy or self-awareness I found. Even the big plot twist of
"I don't actually like tomatoes"
felt kind of a let down because of how it was presented I'm not sure if it was supposed to be another joke on the types of things these shows have done in the past or if it was trying to actually play things straight and serious. This third episode I thought was a bit better and it was actually kind of funny how quickly things moved in the latter half such as Saegusa saying to Akane that she wanted to help out and she quickly responded with pretty much a "Sure! What the heck! Here's your key." haha.

Also, maybe it's just me but the main girl Akane is voiced by Ayane Sakura, who does the voice of Marii in Joshiraku and since they both represent the "Red" coloured person in each of their respected shows, a couple of times I thought of Marii when listening to Akane talk. I thought Saegusa's seiyuu was familiar too but it turns out I haven't watched anything she's been in so I guess she just reminded me of someone else.

I guess we'll see if things get more serious but right now it looks to be another Mahou Shoujo type show with a fun laid back attitude with some hopefully cool and visually pleasing fights.

Shergal

Vividred Operation 3

Despite the retarded pace of the second half, this still manages to be very entertaining in a cheesy self-aware way. People may give Takamura shit for his fan-service priorities, but he sure knows how to make a show enjoyable to watch.

Also nice animation as always, I wonder if they're going to bring Kouno to make the rest of the henshin sequences, and if she's going to keep working on the show after they've been all introduced.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Goldfish Warning!] 01 OR The Be Papas Marathon of Madness 01 OR How Regulus Found This Image While Perusing Old Ghostlightning Articles and Decided To Watch Everything In It Because He Has Gone Mental
cLggeCll.png

Oh great she's one of those.
That was really fun. Very little of the eponymous goldfish that's not even gold, but that's a minor complaint in an incredibly charming opener of an episode! Not only do we have an ojousama falling from grace and then restoring it by doing what's right, but also shoujo drama and tons of Junichi Sato funny faces! I love those!

P.S. Yurika-sama can go get run over by a herd.
P.P.S. Proof that panty shots have always been a disease afflicting anime.

Metrotab

Banned
[Mouryou no Hako] - 1

That's a lot to keep up with in a fast moving show. The real problem is that very little of what is going on is just window dressing, when the characters are dancing in the moonlight (with a weird motion blur filter on) the moon isn't just the moon, it obviously has some other meaning that you're supposed to get. You're not supposed to sit back and let it role over you - you're supposed to engage with the material and think about what it's trying to say. Very few works demand that of you.

Shit, that's what I've been doing actually. Especially because of all the visual wonder this show produces (that moon scene being a prime example). I'm extremely bad at artistic analysis though, so it'd probably fly over my head anyway. Are you gonna do a short exposition on each episode as you rewatch it? I'd be pretty interested in that since I like learning about symbolism in art.

Shergal

People hate on fanservice because of cultural conditioning- notice how the only fanservice widely hated (or even spotted) is sexual fanservice. The prejudice is more against sex than pandering to your fanbase.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm sure that, at a rate of an episode a day, I can finish this epic in about six years.
No, I mean the chart. It actually disproves its own assumption that these connections are always relevant. Some are important, while some are tenuous, and neither are really predictive. It's also important to remember that "Be-Papas" was a specific collaboration between specific people.

That said, Goldfish Warning has the same person doing the music as Sailor Moon.

cajunator

Banned
[Goldfish Warning!] 01 OR The Be Papas Marathon of Madness 01 OR How Regulus Found This Image While Perusing Old Ghostlightning Articles and Decided To Watch Everything In It Because He Has Gone Mental

That was really fun. Very little of the eponymous goldfish that's not even gold, but that's a minor complaint in an incredibly charming opener of an episode! Not only do we have an ojousama falling from grace and then restoring it by doing what's right, but also shoujo drama and tons of Junichi Sato funny faces! I love those!

P.S. Yurika-sama can go get run over by a herd.
P.P.S. Proof that panty shots have always been a disease afflicting anime.

I can understand staff whoring a bit. Once you sample something, you might try to associate it with other things, and those elements become the glue to your addiction. So if a staffer works on a particular thing you highly enjoyed, you might seek out similar projects they spearheaded. However, this doesnt take into account the quality of the project itself or the genre, and for me there are just too many variables that enhance or hinder enjoyment of a series to worry about the staff that made it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
No, I mean the chart. It actually disproves its own assumption that these connections are always relevant. Some are important, while some are tenuous, and neither are really predictive. It's also important to remember that "Be-Papas" was a specific collaboration between specific people.
I don't think it's trying to prove any correlation of anything between the shows listed so much as just following the footprints of a few select individuals in the industry. Indeed, Be-Papas was a magnificent thing that will never be repeated, but it's still fun to know what happened to some of its individuals as time went on.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think I've come to the conclusion that I would be more open to Psycho-Pass if it wasn't dealing with the same concepts and themes as From the New World. It is so heavy handed and moronic in comparison. Also, none of the stuff in episode 14 of PP made sense to me. If that main enforcer guy has a Crime Coefficient that can go so high why doesn't he ever set off the street scanners?

Steroyd

Medaka's Rabbit - 03

DeYtKUH.gif

Episode merely setting the building blocks to the community, and different applications to their powers.

Also, none of the stuff in episode 14 of PP made sense to me. If that main enforcer guy has a Crime Coefficient that can go so high why doesn't he ever set off the street scanners?

I think it's a combination of the Psycho pass scanners plus an identification system, because he's part of the MWSPB (or whatever), he gets a free pass. All the enforcers have such a high PP that they technically shouldn't be able to walk the streets ever again.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
My massive Strike Witches folder is a true testament to my love of legs and butts among other things.

*salute*

People hate on fanservice because of cultural conditioning- notice how the only fanservice widely hated (or even spotted) is sexual fanservice. The prejudice is more against sex than pandering to your fanbase.

I fully agree with you. I've never found it annoying, I've never been embarrassed by it, and it is always welcome.

Nafe

I hate how hating on fan service is the new thing. More legs and butts plz.

I really don't mind some fan service, as I said. I even actually like some! It's really more just the extreme's some go to. For example, when you have a male character falling on top of a female character at some impossible angle and her clothes just magically explode off of her and he slips his hand under her bra. You may think that's great but to me it just comes across as really dumb.

I don't think it should really bother you either. I don't mind if you like fan service and don't hate you for it or anything. It doesn't bother me because your liking it doesn't really affect my potential disliking it. My potential disliking shouldn't really affect your liking it. You can like or dislike whatever you want.

Utena's here! ...Damn, it's all cold.

Hopefully you enjoy it. Maybe icarus will start posting in the thread again as well. Oh yeah, if you're still looking for shows to watch as far as "backlog" then watch Sailor Moon Stars! ;)

Syrinx

I envy you so much. I'll reach you in around five seasons of Sailor Moon!

It's not the radass looking Japanese blu-ray set. Just the Student Council Saga, eps. 1-12 on DVD.

And shamefully, I haven't yet watched Sailor Stars. Imma go hide in the corner.

Hopefully you enjoy it. Maybe icarus will start posting in the thread again as well. Oh yeah, if you're still looking for shows to watch as far as "backlog" then watch Sailor Moon Stars! ;)

I think I'm going to do a whole rewatch of SM around May or June (or at least most of it), and then watch Sailor Stars, and then maybe watch the reboot if it doesn't look like shit. Or maybe even if it does look like shit. I still need to decide that.

cajunator

Banned
I envy you so much. I'll reach you in around five seasons of Sailor Moon!

Sailor moon has been a lot more enjoyable than I thought it was gonna be. However, it takes at least half of the first season to get ANYWHERE. Those first few episodes were tough. Once the senshi start to show up of course it begins to get completely awesome.

*salute*

I fully agree with you. I've never found it annoying, I've never been embarrassed by it, and it is always welcome.

I think fanservice is alright, but I dont fap to it, so it kind of doesnt have a point for me other than comedy. I'm pretty much broken.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think it's a combination of the Psycho pass scanners plus an identification system, because he's part of the MWSPB (or whatever), he gets a free pass. All the enforcers have such a high PP that they technically shouldn't be able to walk the streets ever again.
I was under the impression that enforcers were people who had regained some level of control. If they are walking around with numbers shooting off the charts that seems kind of nonsensical even by the standards of this show.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I do have to agree that the chart is quite misleading considering Chiho Saito and Yuichiro Oguro are not listed at all, the first one for obvious reasons.

Shergal

I think fanservice is alright, but I dont fap to it, so it kind of doesnt have a point for me other than comedy. I'm pretty much broken.

I'm in the same boat, except I don't even expect comedy in it. I just have become so desensitized to it over the years that I don't even react to it in any way whatsoever. It's just there.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Content doesn't have to necessarily induce sexual titillation in the viewer for it to be considered fanservice. Nintendo are the masters of that, for instance.

Syrinx

I think you should have fans before you're allowed to do fanservice. Anime that solely serves as fanservice strikes me as pretty pointless.

Course, this is a guy who watched a fair amount of Girls Bravo, so make of that what you will. But at least that show had a good amount of "WTF?" going for it.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I really don't mind some fan service, as I said. I even actually like some! It's really more just the extreme's some go to. For example, when you have a male character falling on top of a female character at some impossible angle and her clothes just magically explode off of her and he slips his hand under her bra. You may think that's great but to me it just comes across as really dumb.

It is dumb (so are a lot of things in anime). It's more the general hatred of seeing sudden breasts and butts that I'm disappointed with - not the implausible situations from which they sometimes arise. That said, my favorite types of fan service is just the kind that offers you glimpses here and there due to the camera's positioning rather than the boy falling on girl types.

I don't think it should really bother you either. I don't mind if you like fan service and don't hate you for it or anything. It doesn't bother me because your liking it doesn't really affect my potential disliking it. My potential disliking shouldn't really affect your liking it. You can like or dislike whatever you want.

So, you've resorted to talking sense eh? You know this is an anime thread, right?

Shergal

Content doesn't have to necessarily induce sexual titillation in the viewer for it to be considered fanservice. Nintendo are the masters of that, for instance.

Exactly, but the only type of fanservice that constantly gets shit from audiences is the sexual one, hence the problem not being with catering to your customers but more with lewd things.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

You should stop saying this. We all have different levels of testosterone, libido, and sexual interest. Personally, I'm highly affected by things, others less so, and some not at all. It doesn't mean you're broken. If you are happy with yourself then there's no reason to worry about it!

cajunator

Banned

True. There are many kind of fanservice. I was personally referring to the sexual kind. Obviously I go quite nuts for other kinds of fanservice.

It is dumb (so are a lot of things in anime). It's more the general hatred of seeing sudden breasts and butts that I'm disappointed with - not the implausible situations from which they sometimes arise. That said, my favorite types of fan service is just the kind that offers you glimpses here and there due to the camera's positioning rather than the boy falling on girl types.

So, you've resorted to talking sense eh? You know this is an anime thread, right?

Classy fanservice is an unfortunate rarity. I think its more fun than all out blatant fanservice.
I think thats why Zettai Ryouiki is so effective with people. Or why half dressed is a more sexy idea than fully nude. There is probably a scientific explanation for all this.

Thoraxes

Kamina and Simon sucks. All about Kittan.
I really wish they gave Kittan more time earlier on. He was so cool.
Just yesterday arrived my Super Robot Chogokin - Gurren Lagann so I re-watch ep 8, 11 and 25

Everyone likes Kamina but I like Simon more. Nia ;___;

;___;

I love everyone. For me there's no bad characters. Simon's development all the way to the end was awesome, and I even liked Nia.

It's the one show I don't even care about having blind fanboyism for. I fucking love it.

Nafe

Yeah, I guess over time through my impressions and comments it will come across what I find acceptable. I don't really mind busty girls for example but sometimes they are too big I agree. I also agree with you that sometimes teases can be a whole lot better than full reveals.

Haha, right, my mistake. Well, I thought about putting a smilie at the end of my sentence so as to show that I wasn't trying to be rude or anything but it looks like you understood just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom