• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

GeXrSAu.png
I dont want to ask for these shops to appear on here, but secretly I always really want them to. Brilliant as always.

Jintor

Oh, is it just their apps that don't work? Then CLIMBING AWAAAAAAAAAY

I just automatically assumed we were in the anime streaming ghetto for some reason

wonzo

Banned
Oh, is it just their apps that don't work? Then CLIMBING AWAAAAAAAAAY

I just automatically assumed we were in the anime streaming ghetto for some reason
Their apps are pretty terrible but I've always been able to use of them just fine on my iOS devices. I still don't think the PS3 one's available though unless you try a US PSN account or something so~

edit: I only just bothered to check the Guest Pass section so here's the three that aren't expired:

T44LN7T57XG
CJRWR878CPH
L4QPXLTXBX3

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Arashi no Yoru ni 22

Actually the ep ends up a bit on the dramatic side as its become increasingly difficult for Mei & Gabu to hide their friendship. In fact, Mei had a hard bit of growing up to do this ep as she was forced to confront the natural order of things rather than treating it as a problem to be solved. I just wanted something simple to watch tonight, didn't expect this kind of show to be setting up for some final resolution to things. Episode's ending cliffhanger looks to complicate the hell out of everything and the preview confirms that. What the hell? I didn't sign up for this, firehawk!

Oh hello! You're still watching this?

JCG

as for the podcast - Robert has some truth, but he misses the point of the on why Bandai failed in the main market place. Aniplex has the backing, has the tech, and has the product.

Aniplex also has a much smaller operation and seems quite content to sell much fewer copies of its more expensive titles on purpose, a couple of exceptions aside, thus winning or losing necessarily has an entirely separate meaning for them than for BEI. Then again, Robert openly acknowledged Aniplex is doing things better, especially compared to Bandai Visual rather than BEI itself, not just because they're aiming at a smaller collector's market but also because of their particular titles.

cajunator

Banned
Aniplex also has a much smaller operation and seems quite content to sell much fewer copies of its more expensive titles on purpose, a couple of exceptions aside, thus winning or losing necessarily has an entirely separate meaning for them than for BEI. Then again, Robert openly acknowledged Aniplex is doing things better, especially compared to Bandai Visual rather than BEI itself, not just because they're aiming at a smaller collector's market but also because of their particular titles.

Aniplex seems to license sure bets. The pick up very popular and large licenses.

duckroll

Aniplex seems to license sure bets. The pick up very popular and large licenses.

Aniplex usually doesn't pick up anything. They simply release Aniplex Japan titles which they either did not want to license to other companies in the US, or failed to get a licensing deal for them.

Narag

Mobile Suit Gundam 3

I really have forgotten some of the smaller details in this. It's like I can remember the major plot points but not so much in-between. It certainly doesn't help I haven't seen the movies in such a long while I can't remember what elements were cut to make them so I've actually no idea if I'm just not remembering or I'm experiencing content new to me.

What I took away from this ep:
  • Fraw Bow is pretty cute.
  • Mirai is pretty competent.

cajunator

Banned
Aniplex usually doesn't pick up anything. They simply release Aniplex Japan titles which they either did not want to license to other companies in the US, or failed to get a licensing deal for them.

Maybe licensing is the wrong word in their case, since they dont license like you said. But they somehow end up with the high selling stuff. In this case Im talking about the japanese company itself. they have a remarkable track record lately of huge hit shows. The Us division of aniplex has probably the easiest job in the industry. Oreimo, Fate Zero, Madoka Magica, Bakemonagatari, Sword Art Online, Nisemonagatari, Kara no Kyoukai...this stuff sells itself.

duckroll

Maybe licensing is the wrong word in their case, since they dont license like you said. But they somehow end up with the high selling stuff. In this case Im talking about the japanese company itself. they have a remarkable track record lately of huge hit shows. The Us division of aniplex has probably the easiest job in the industry. Oreimo, Fate Zero, Madoka Magica, Bakemonagatari, Sword Art Online, Nisemonagatari, Kara no Kyoukai...this stuff sells itself.

Yeah, that's part of why they don't want to license those out. If they feel they can make more money just releasing it themselves in the US because there's a locked in audience, why not? :)

Instro

Saint Seiya 46

A strange combination of ugliness and lengthy scenes of bizarre eye animation. I wonder if this is what duckroll was telling me about the other day in regards to Yuna getting bullied again, she has like 2 second scene of getting kicked into a wall lol.

Mobile Suit Gundam 3

I really have forgotten some of the smaller details in this. It's like I can remember the major plot points but not so much in-between. It certainly doesn't help I haven't seen the movies in such a long while I can't remember what elements were cut to make them so I've actually no idea if I'm just not remembering or I'm experiencing content new to me.

This is about how I feel about the show, despite having watched the whole thing. It's been over a decade since the last time I watched any of MSG, so I can remember some particularly memorable episodes and the general moments, but a lot of it is something of a blur.

Amura/Lalah/Char always feels like something that was built up so much more than it actually was within my memories.

One of these days I'll go back and watch this show again.

Shergal

Speak of the devil...

Girlock Holmes 3 (Rewatch)

A lot of shows will normally start picking up steam by the third episode of their run, and Hyouka is no exception, but what "steam" means for this series is pretty different from the normal usage.

Taichi Ishidate handled this episode, with Seiichi Akitake as AD. I normally would think Akitake's output is not really top game, but if there's one episode he did really well it's this one. Very solid expressions all around, especially Chitanda at the beginning, smoke-kun being flustered and by the end, Chitanda again trying to remember the past.
As for the directing, it was pretty tricky, fitting for an episode that amounted to sitting in a table and talking for the most part. Ishidate really abuses fancy framing of this sort in his shots.
cLoi0p1.jpg

There are many more like this during the whole episode.

The pacing of the episode is really deliberate, but I never felt that it was detrimental. He also managed to streamline some events by making good use of transitions, like this part:

With just two shots it wordlessly presents Mayaka's incorporation to the club, among some other stuff like the passing of time, layed over Oreki's monologue about tests and studying.

The imaginative parts explaining the mystery and stuff weren't really very imaginative, and didn't even feature much animation. Although it was effective for the type of retrospective explanation Oreki was giving to Mayaka. I liked the transition from Oreki's library to the school halls while his sister's voice was "reading" the letter though.

I always thought it was strange how uptight Japanese rules appear to be in cases like this, where a guy can go all rage due to some (from my viewpoint) tiny issue like smoking at school. Is this really that pronounced over there?
JZl2hM8.jpg
WDQDXDv.jpg

I'm a sucker for stuff like this.

The visual broadness of the show is starting to be clear around this point, with the use of changing color palettes to enhance or create an atmosphere, and the persistent switches between reality and imagination. The "srs bsnss"element of the directing is also something that goes on as the show progresses, and I like the moods it creates quite a bit. This entire shot for example wouldn't be out of place in the climax of a more ambitious show, but here the technique is used just to set a tone, perhaps of a larger scope than one would think the events depicted deserve.

Also, I discovered one new thing now that I rewatched the episode- are these guys preparing the quiz we later see in the cultural festival!? If so, that's awesome.

JCG

To some extent, but I think there's a bit of perspective bias here, since "very popular" among online fans doesn't automatically mean "very popular" in sales.

Maybe licensing is the wrong word in their case, since they dont license like you said. But they somehow end up with the high selling stuff.

Those are all great titles and top sellers in Japan, of course, but again...I doubt most of those anime you listed are really "high selling stuff" in the U.S. market, in terms of the purely absolute sales figures, even if they are still successful for the purposes of Aniplex's business.

It seems like "highly profitable" would be a more accurate description, as the general rule, since Aniplex doesn't really need to produce huge numbers of their expensive, limited edition Kara no Kyoukai boxes in order to make those "sell out" and meet their targets, even if they're almost certainly much smaller than the targets that companies like BEI used to deal with back in the day (and maybe still a little or a lot smaller than the targets used by Funimation or Sentai for some of their other shows today).

Narag

This is about how I feel about the show, despite having watched the whole thing. It's been over a decade since the last time I watched any of MSG, so I can remember some particularly memorable episodes and the general moments, but a lot of it is something of a blur.

Amura/Lalah/Char always feels like something that was built up so much more than it actually was within my memories.

One of these days I'll go back and watch this show again.

I was looking at the Amuro/Lalah/Char stuff the other day because I felt the same way about it. Scrubbing through the eps led to something of a "That's it?" reaction. Maybe it's built up more in the movies that I'm actually familiar with or maybe it's because it's the impetus of the more personal Char/Amuro rivalry that gets so much more play later on that it is retroactively made more memorable than it might be on its own.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If they bring it over? Good one firehawk!

Nice art on that Hyouka box btw.

I'm gonna have to go with Elementary School on this one.

Heh. Elementary: Toystory School.

No play (or real in Mao's case) bite will ever be as adorable as Miya's.

http://i.minus.com/i7gFnGzjRztoF.jpg

Best imouto.
Niiiishishishi~

Slowly but surely as it's better than most crap I pick to watch. It was a light feel good show and now I fear I'm going to end up terribly depressed by the end.
Umm... well, you'll get there. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom