• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
First I've heard of it. I'm hardly an initiate when it comes to staff names, but a little google-fu is telling me you're referring to the creator of Code Lyoko (of all things). This guy's working with Watanabe..?

Yeah, that's him. I worry about his influence primarily because of his track record--he's worked on several Satelight projects helmed by Kawamori, he was Symphogear's art director, and perhaps most grievously, was heavily involved in the creation of Basquash!. He seems like a dangerous combination of bad ideas and gaudy aesthetics and, while I'm hopeful that Watanabe can rein him into a more tasteful realm, I still fear for Space Dandy due to his involvement. Hopefully my fears end up being unwarranted.

wonzo

Banned
Folktales from Japan 47

folktales47.jpg

Another interesting set of short stories. The first one was really silly as as I really don't see how bits of wood that can make someone fart would ever work in the roundabout way that it did but the same could be said of most of this series. The second was about an angry old stepmother tormenting her sons wife and the third about a pair of idiot brothers trying to catch a star so they can cook some food. The later two stood out mostly thanks to the great art direction which is easily the biggest thing going for this series. Yet another good series that people don't watch and then complain about the lack of anything this season. ._.

wonzo you know I have too much experience with wonzoism and the ways of wonzo to ever click on a wonzo link, wonzo.
Well, that's what I get for putting effort into my posts for once. ;_;

Narag

Yeah, that's him. I worry about his influence primarily because of his track record--he's worked on several Satelight projects helmed by Kawamori, he was Symphogear's art director, and perhaps most grievously, was heavily involved in the creation of Basquash!. He seems like a dangerous combination of bad ideas and gaudy aesthetics and, while I'm hopeful that Watanabe can reign him into a more tasteful realm, I still fear for Space Dandy due to his involvement. Hopefully my fears end up being unwarranted.

Oh that reminds me, more Symphogear this year, right? I'm in because it stands a chance to actually be decent if they learned from the first season. Might even know how to manage a walk cycle now.

Dresden

Yeah, that's him. I worry about his influence primarily because of his track record--he's worked on several Satelight projects helmed by Kawamori, he was Symphogear's art director, and perhaps most grievously, was heavily involved in the creation of Basquash!. He seems like a dangerous combination of bad ideas and gaudy aesthetics and, while I'm hopeful that Watanabe can reign him into a more tasteful realm, I still fear for Space Dandy due to his involvement. Hopefully my fears end up being unwarranted.

I wouldn't worry too much. It's Watanabe, I'm sure he'll do a good job and maybe we'll get a really solid, well-planned Bones show for once. It'll be like Igarashi making a show with Enokido or something.

duckroll

My God. What are you even saying? Thomas Romain is an artist. He's an art director and concept artists who handles mostly background designs and layouts. He's very talented, and one of the few creative staff at Satelight who actually does his job really well. Dangerous combination of bad ideas and gaudy aesthetics? What? Basquash's backgrounds were REALLY nice looking too. It's one of the most appealing parts of the show.

https://plus.google.com/photos/104379489189811288070/albums?banner=pwa

Come on, son. :(

Articalys

My God. What are you even saying? Thomas Romain is an artist. He's an art director and concept artists who handles mostly background designs and layouts. He's very talented, and one of the few creative staff at Satelight who actually does his job really well. Dangerous combination of bad ideas and gaudy aesthetics? What? Basquash's backgrounds were REALLY nice looking too. It's one of the most appealing parts of the show.

Also he's buddies with Dai Sato now!

Narag

Well, I lied and watched the first episode of Inferno Cop before I posted that post. That was certainly a thing.

Only a true work of art could so handily ascend the boundaries of language on a quest to communicate pure feeling to the audience.

First episode wasn't really indicative of what Inferno Cop becomes: good.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Only a true work of art could so handily ascend the boundaries of language on a quest to communicate pure feeling to the audience.

Sounds like a Kubrick film, I hope firehawk is watching Inferno Cop.

Caesnd

I wonder if there's a reason as to why Romain specifically mentioned Dai Satos love for Dead Space and TWD?

Well, probably not, but speculation is interesting.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oh that reminds me, more Symphogear this year, right? I'm in because it stands a chance to actually be decent if they learned from the first season. Might even know how to manage a walk cycle now.

If they can get walking down there just might be hope for no more disappearing limbs and torsos.

If that's the case, here's how I got off track: ANN lists him as the original creator for Basquash. I assumed that if he was only the art director for that he'd be listed as such since he's specifically cited for art on several other series, so there seemed to be the implication there that he was also involved with other production aspects like scenario creation and character design that ended up being really bad.

The truly important thing for everyone to take away from this conversation is that Basquash is terrible and no one should ever watch it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I still haven't yet figured out the underlying pattern of "things my precious Canadian darling firehawk likes in his (HER?) audiovisual media soup," but as far as I am aware neither Kubrick nor Inferno Cop fall under: Terrence Malick movies, David Simon shows, progressive gender politics, rigid sci-fi space opera tropes that remind him of his youth, GAYGAYGAYGAYGAY, or rose-tinted nostalgia goggles that look forward and backward at the same time.

It also has to be new, apparently.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sounds like a Kubrick film, I hope firehawk is watching Inferno Cop.
Wafuu~~~

Welp, I expect firehawk12 to get on this show ASAP
lol, damnit.

I still haven't yet figured out the underlying pattern of "things my precious Canadian darling firehawk likes in his (HER?) audiovisual media soup," but as far as I am aware neither Kubrick nor Inferno Cop fall under: Terrence Malick movies, David Simon shows, progressive gender politics, rigid sci-fi space opera tropes that remind him of his youth, GAYGAYGAYGAYGAY, or rose-tinted nostalgia goggles that look forward and backward at the same time.
2001 is the purest of pure science fiction! Everyone loves a Space Baby. lol

It also has to be new, apparently.
Airing on a weekly schedule, specifically. :p

---

Not that I like the ANNCast, but when they do get guests, at least it's interesting:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2013-02-27

Former Director of Marketing Robert Napton joins Zac and Justin for a long, in-depth talk about the closure of Bandai Entertainment USA and the long, strange and sudden odyssey the company went through in its final years.

This episode chronicles Robert's journey through early anime fandom, his time with Image Comics in the 1990s, his early days in Bandai's fledgling manga division and his eventual rise to Director of Marketing through the company's shutdown in 2011. You really don't want to miss this episode.

sonicmj1

O, how'd that turn out?

Seems like it's going okay so far. He's through the Black Rose arc a little more confused for the wear. I'm looking forward to when he starts the final leg of the journey.

He's a dirty Nanami-lover, though.

I don't believe you.

I can't blame you for being skeptical after the first episode, but the show finds the right balance of taste and absurdity by episode 3. It's not high art by any standard, but it usually gets a chuckle from me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Things My Precious Canadian Darling Firehawk Likes in His (HER?) Audiovisual Media Soup sounds like a light novel series that will soon be getting an anime adaptation.

I'm watching Kubrick on Wikipedia, just how mad are you?

duckroll

http://repotama.com/2013/02/46825/

So, is anyone excited to find out what the character designs in the Aku no Hana anime look like? Well too bad! They have announced that they won't be releasing the official character visuals for the anime until the first episode starts airing. LOL. Are they trying to hide a wonderful surprise or a terrible shock? Mysteries.

Those who attend the early screening of episode 1 on March 20 will be able to see it first though. I wonder if anything will leak...

The PR spin on the announcement also states that they are using rotoscoping to capture the vivid expressions of the characters and to better portray the scenery of the setting. To this end, they are actually filming on location in the city of Kiryu, where the manga takes place. Weird.

Haven't we known that Tamayura 2 was going to be a Summer show for ages now?

Nice to see that they're rebroadcasting the first season for the spring, though.

Maybe, but I guess it has a start date now.

Branduil

So, is anyone excited to find out what the character designs in the Aku no Hana anime look like? Well too bad! They have announced that they won't be releasing the official character visuals for the anime until the first episode starts airing. LOL. Are they trying to hide a wonderful surprise or a terrible shock? Mysteries.

Those who attend the early screening of episode 1 on March 20 will be able to see it first though. I wonder if anything will leak...

The PR spin on the announcement also states that they are using rotoscoping to capture the vivid expressions of the characters and to better portray the scenery of the setting. To this end, they are actually filming on location in the city of Kiryu, where the manga takes place. Weird.

Their refusal to show us anything only makes me suspect the worst.

cajunator

Banned

Maybe, but I guess it has a start date now.

Well, this is going to be fascinating. Whether that is good or terribly bad remains to be seen. but I expect a spectacle!

wonzo

Banned
So Gonzo uploaded another PV for their Anime Mirai project RYO a few days ago. It still looks kinda assy which is to be expected from a Gonzo series, really.

Hiding the actual character designs doesn't give me much confidence in this. I'm kinda worried now. :(

ohbaudelaire.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom