• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

I could yet be wrong about Setsuna. Heero's allure for me is that he doesn't STAY emotionally dead. Toward the end of Wing, he's considerably more stable. That's why I like characters like Heero or Sousuke Sagara, because they start out the perfect soldier and become human.

Although I confess that in Wing, the main allure is really Zechs for me.

Branduil

Hyouka 5 (Rewatch)

And so I'm finally at the high point of early Hyouka. What an amazing episode. One should expect no less of Kyoani's SSS+ team: veteran Yoshiji Kigami directing, while K-On's ace Yukiko Horiguchi supervised the animation. This was the first (and so far, only) time they helmed an episode together, and my main question after watching it is: why the hell don't they work together more often!?

Kigami does pretty nice, solid storyboards overall. Not a lot in the way of fancy elaborated blocking or fancy camera angles like Ishidate or Takemoto, but they can really pack a punch, and when he does use those resources, it's always to great effect, like in the slanted cut of Oreki and Eru watching the sky.

Particularly, now that I come back to it after finishing the whole show, I find this episode is really filled with nuance everywhere you look. Little things like Mayaka being the one who notices the drawing of Hyouka's cover and picks up on its meaning, and looking at it with the face of an aspiring artist trying to learn, or Oreki being the one that gets the pun right away, going in line with his shitty wordplay antics. They also foreshadowed some stuff, like Satoshi's later development and relationship with Oreki in this sequence:

Here we see Oreki "stepping" into the light as he talks of becoming more rose-colored and abandoning his restrained ways, and the reaction from Satoshi is kinda strange and given importance by the directing, with that shading, scene composition and the traditional same-perspective shot for heightened tension. Later, on the festival arc, we get a complete explanation of his motivations and thoughts, but it's nice that they were getting at it this early already.

Another thing that's really noticeable now that I know the whole arc of the characters is the way Oreki changed his attitude when the possibility of his theory being wrong was brought up by his sister. Yuichi Watanabe (key animator for the episode) commented on something along those lines, but I think there's a bit more than just "acting differently around his sister" to it.
We see throughout this episode that Oreki has become invested into the mystery, and is constantly thinking about how Sekitani Jun's "super rose-colored life" relates to him and his mindset, particularly seen in one of the first scenes when he's in his bed thinking about it. So it's only natural that he gets upset and fired up when he's told that there's more to the story. This is a pretty good instance of character development, and it will show again in future episodes (particularly in 18): Oreki actually does get curious about stuff, especially when they relate to him directly (or he himself becomes emotionally invested in them). Finding out what happened 45 years ago became not just a favour for Chitanda, but something that had to do with him and his ideas about life, as is brought to foreground at the end when he's writing the letter.

There's something to be said about the animation in this episode. I think it even surpasses the animation for the opener. That's the power of Horiguchi for ya! Not only everything moves a whole lot at every turn, but the characters strike fun, varied poses, and make really nice expressions, displaying a more broad emotional range than in the previous episodes (although this was also allowed by the plot and nice script for ep. 5)

The animation added some great bits of characterization and created much richer situations and a broader, believable episode overall. I found this shot to be a strong example; as the characters get caught off-guard by Oreki's eagerness, they become quite excited, and we see their urge to rush into the library just in the animation, and details like Satoshi forgetting his bag for a second due to the hype. I wonder who animated it, maybe Chiyoko Ueno?
Another notable thing was everything to do with the young librarian, when she was reminiscing. Her characterization and thoughts were really brought up by the animation, and enhanced by the nice direction idea about herself interacting with the "flashback" in a sort of tacked-on manner that worked perfectly.
In contrast, her adult self's reactions were really, really restrained, and never deviated from that melancholic smile that shows a person who has already moved on and is left with just the bittersweet memories of the event.

The conclusion to the episode was really well done, it had more power than something like what was happening deserves, lol. The OST, the Oreki grabbing his knee and being exhasperated, the gradual realization by each of the members about what "Hyouka" meant, the quick cuts between Chitanda reading and the flashbacks with her uncle, the brief switch into visual-craziness mode with that powerful cut of the bunny being killed, the build-up by the OST- and at the end, the really nice trademark color palette change we've seen quite a bit already in the show:

Everything came together just for that scene, and now that I've rewatched it I'm even more convinced that it's one of the best sequences in the show.

Oh, and for what it's worth, Chitanda gets a little glimpse of characterization, albeit it's through standard exposition monologue, but I guess they needed to lay on the :firehawk somewhere lol.

I think I wrote much more than normally for this one, so apologies if it gets long and tedious; but I really loved this episode :D

Great post. Keep up the good work on the Girllock Holmes rewatch.

Articalys

So, I guess there was a posterboard at the Anime Mirai premier screening, with a bunch of messages and doodles from staff on it:
animemiraikfrqr.jpg
Detail and zoom-in on the sketches from Yoh Yoshinari, Tatsuya Yoshihara, and Shinichi Kurita.

(via @honnyaku_blog)

Chronoexe

Heartcatch Precure!

Episode 2

It seems then that either all or maybe most of the PreCure shows have the idea of the lead heroine being surprised by the amount of power they have by jumping up really high into the sky in their first battle.

Lastly, I'm not really a fan of how the Heart Seeds are produced or maybe more accurately, where they are coming from, haha. That whole scene could definitely also make some viewers think of the whole "Buy our toys!" idea.

Overall mostly a fun time and I look forward to the next.

I was thinking the same about the super jump, wasn't sure because I only watched Smile before but for me Doki doki confirm the gag.

And about the production of Heart Seeds I don't know what to think but later they change a little part of the animation.

Moonlight

Banned
Natsu no Arashi Episode 2

This is much, much more like it. I suppose I'm just a straightforward person, but my opinion of the show ballooned a great deal once the show began contextualizing its' premise. As an introduction to a series, I really can't see what this episode did worse than its' predecessor. The steady introduction of characters was rather deftly handled, actually. Introductions are smart and fairly natural, and the episode doesn't let itself get too hung up on one introduction or the other. It's unobtrusive, and manages to give you what you what you should understand about a character in a fairly strong way. The episode just felt much livelier, which is weird when you consider the last one involved overlapping time travel shenanigans, but while comparatively less mundane in premise, the execution of this episode was a lot more on the mark. If I'm making much sense, I'd say that while the first episode felt like a ten minute sketch stretched out to twenty two, events in this episode related to and progressed from each other in a much more natural way.

As an aside, I gotta say that I like the cut of that red-haired girl's (if they introduced her by name, I cannot recall) jib. The way that she played sunglasses guy was pretty great. I think I'm just fond of con artist characters in media in general, and she's no exception.

I don't even know why I'm so concerned with production quality here, because it's obvious there's not much to expect. Although that really didn't keep me from noticing some cringeworthy shots. There's a few scenes where it's like they're trying to go for this illusion of rotation and the way the objects are moving across the screen just seems really transparent. The movement of the clouds in the background is pretty jarring, as well. I think I'm getting used to how some of the character designs look, though. They're certainly not that attractive, but I guess I'm... adapting to how they look? If that's the right word for it. I'm trying very hard to keep stuff like that from bothering me, anyways.

Production complaints aside, this episode felt a lot more dynamic than the one prior, and definitely rekindled my interest in pursuing this show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Natsu no Arashi Episode 2

This is much, much more like it. I suppose I'm just a straightforward person, but my opinion of the show ballooned a great deal once the show began contextualizing its' premise. As an introduction to a series, I really can't see what this episode did worse than its' predecessor. The steady introduction of characters was rather deftly handled, actually. Introductions are smart and fairly natural, and the episode doesn't let itself get too hung up on one introduction or the other. It's unobtrusive, and manages to give you what you what you should understand about a character in a fairly strong way. The episode just felt much livelier, which is weird when you consider the last one involved overlapping time travel shenanigans, but while comparatively less mundane in premise, the execution of this episode was a lot more on the mark. If I'm making much sense, I'd say that while the first episode felt like a ten minute sketch stretched out to twenty two, events in this episode related to and progressed from each other in a much more natural way.

Bro, you've got to learn to live outside the box. Free yourself from the patriarchal nature of Aristotle and Freytag and learn to embrace life.

Or, to think of it in video game terms, think of it like the standard abilitease opening of Castlevania. lol

sonicmj1

I've been in Backlog Season mode since Fall. I finished Nadia and got through more than half of Goldfish Warning! in a little over two months. You can't blame me for not trying!

I watch 250+ episode of my backlog at this season, the best thing for my watching experience.

I watch less than half of those usually for the season to watch ongoing stuff.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm sad I'm the only one who posted impressions of Windy Tales episode 8, and I want more people to join in.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Do you ever try and watch a show and find yourself completely lost? Where did these characters come from? Why are people shooting at each other? Oh, this series is so bad I didn't even notice that I forgot to watch it last week.

cajunator

Banned
Do you ever try and watch a show and find yourself completely lost? Where did these characters come from? Why are people shooting at each other? Oh, this series is so bad I didn't even notice that I forgot to watch it last week.

Yup. Because I skipped an episode by mistake.

Haganai NEXT 8

I haven't watched many shows where it keeps getting progressively worse every episode. I want a dumb harem comedy with crude and awful jokes but it's not happening!

wonzo

Banned
Windy Tales 8

Yeah, kinda figured the baby in the photo's
looked like Jun
so I wasn't all that shocked when that turned out to be the case. I couldn't help but laugh at the deadpan look on Miki's face when everyone found out about the "first-kiss" and her following jealous glance at Yuriko and the text message exchange soon after. lol

trejo

Robo;Notes 19

So... it got real.

It's just a shame it had to happen 19 episodes in and once I was done caring, really.

Dynedom

I could yet be wrong about Setsuna. Heero's allure for me is that he doesn't STAY emotionally dead. Toward the end of Wing, he's considerably more stable. That's why I like characters like Heero or Sousuke Sagara, because they start out the perfect soldier and become human.

Although I confess that in Wing, the main allure is really Zechs for me.

Heero and Setsuna are both horrible Gundam protagonists.

duckroll

How would you even be able to live off of that?

It's not that hard if you consider that the job also means that you probably don't have time to eat out at expensive places, don't need a nice apartment because you're hardly home, and have no social life or free time so you don't have to spend money on those things either!

wonzo

Banned
Sasami@Unmotivated 8

sasami8.jpg

You know you've done fucked up when an episode of something ends up giving me MUSASHI GUNDOH flashbacks thanks to all the static scenes with lots of sound effects happening in the background, a clear indicator that this was missing a shitload of animation. Fuckin' SHAFT.

Dresden

from the new world 22 -

Well, maybe 23 will be good.

First episode in a long time where the overall flow of the story didn't satisfy anything, either. Not happy with where things went.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
from the new world 22 -

First episode in a long time where the overall flow of the story didn't satisfy anything, either. Not happy with where things went.

I thought it harkened back to some of the first arc episodes. Seriously though, this fiend is all kinds of fucked up.

EDIT: Also, jw. Maybe I don't know how death feedback works but why can't they have just one person sacrifice him/herself to kill the fiend?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Robo;Notes 19
w9uQXiV.gif

Obscenely illogical. There is no consequence to most of the events that occur good or bad, but now that Robo;Notes has sliced open its trash bag belly to spew its garbage story all over viewers I have been moved from a disengaged observer to find myself being drowned by its stupidity. Huge events transpire with no thought to their impact on the surrounding world.

The handling of the cast is atrocious. The story focuses on one at a time while the ignorable protagonist lingers on the edge of events without offering any real input or opinion. Not only are characters shoved out of the story for huge periods of time, but they also suddenly become different people to serve the grotesque structure the story is trying to build up for an unearned ending. It is impossible to keep track of what is going on, but if the show doesn't care I guess I shouldn't care either. If only it were that easy. The more I think about it the more I hate it. This was offensively bad.

Articalys

ANN corroborating the reports of Fairy Tail's upcoming anime ending with a clearer look at the announcement.
If the anime really is completely in the middle of a big arc, then I dunno what they've got planned.

cajunator

Banned
Futari Wa Precure 39

Nagisa and Honoka's teacher is getting married. The class makes her a present but on the wedding day, the Dark kingdom tries their shit again. Can the Precure stop them and save the reception hall and the teacher's gift? Of course they can, silly!

Dresden

sasami-san - 05

This show sucks, but I'm willing to watch more if there are more best girl-focused episodes, as in, Kagami. Remember when you chumps thought Black was the worst? Hah.

oxEVzq9.gif

Did you edit? I could have sworn I saw a gif before...

Yeah, I edited it out.

cajunator

Banned
Futari Wa Precure 40

Nagisa goes to Honoka's house for a sleepover.
This episode clearly shows why Honoka is the best girl.
This episode was also very :firehawk as the Precure girls think about what has happened to them and particularly with Honoka and
Kiriya.
Interestingly, the Dark Kingdom attacks while the two are asleep, leading to a battle in their dreams, which somehow works in their favor. We also see Nagisa in a fancy dress in the dream, which looks totally wrong. For the past couple of episodes, the Precure have been without
Porun
and still manage to drive back the Dark Kingdom. Their power has gotten much stronger to where they can drive back evil using their original Marble Screw.

/XX/

I had a sakugasm.
Indeed we had, man, indeed!

Oh god, is LWA going to get uploaded into Nico like Arve Rezzle?
Oh man, should I watch the inevitable gifs before getting to see the full package? So much hype and anticipation.
It seems that not for the moment, because there wasn't planned an streaming event for the short like there was for Arve Rezzle (http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv127233602)... and I expected to catch a glimpse of it on the event that just ended (http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv128116535) but it was talk-only.

I think I can wait a little more time!

リトルウィッチアカデミアいよいよ劇場公開... | Facebook said:
The wait is now over!
Little Witch Academia will be hitting the theaters tomorrow.
Please do come by the theater and check out our young animator's progress!
For further information please check the Anime Mirai website.

Trigger home page has also been updated with new illustrations.
And, yes they are done by our director Yoshinari Yoh!

See you at the theaters!
http://ja-jp.facebook.com/st.trigger/posts/427497190658890

If you say so, guys... :-(

I believe we foreigners won't have to be impatient much more. Anyway, good job everyone!

Uh... I... guess I can kinda see your point... I think... I get it...
There is a time for everything, my friend! Variety is the spice of life.

Jex

from the new world 22 -

Oh for fucks sake, pardon my language.

I'd really hoped that the folks making the show would be able to pull it all together and hold out for the final stretch. Perhaps the knowledge that their show has sold incredibly poorly has taken the wind out of their sales? Then again, the shows been extremely inconsistent since the beginning so that isn't a satisfying excuse.

Sometimes with ovas spaced apart.Though I usually always refer to my olde posts to jog memory of what happens.

Jex

Usagi Drop 7

HNNNNNNNNG.

Kind of bittersweet story this episode, leaning more on bitter than sweet. Is that actually how real Japan goes?
Men being mostly overworked to the point they can barely see their family, let alone properly communicate with them, and women that just think of how to settle down into a lifestyle that they're later going to regret, being unable to break free from it.
I ask because that's not the first time I've seen stuff like this depicted in Japanese media, and Usagi Drop particularly seems to be very grounded in reality.
On a sidenote, with regards to how long Japanese fathers spend with their children I've seen everything from 17 minutes per day to 1 hour and 39 minutes. See more here.

trejo

Tamako Market 8

There was some quality grandpa moe in this episode.

Still don't really see what the point of this show is or where it's going, if anywhere, but as long as we get some more amusing episodes like this one I don't mind watching, even if I usually forget what each episode was about by the time it's finished. Shy Azusa and brown Azusa are the two best girls.

Also, if
Dera gets back in shape
I swear to god I am dropping this show.

cajunator

Banned
Futari Wa Precure 41

Nagisa's big tournament day has arrived. This time the asshole dark kingdom decides to wait until the game begins to interfere. Nagisa and Honoka find themselves at the top of the school facing down
Juna
. As he attacks, something strange happens.
His powerful aura begins to go out of control and even Porun's extra power is not enough to turn it back, until the stones power itself reacts and finally turns him away
However this had a rather dangerous consequence, as the Dark Kingdom finally figures out that
the stones power was placed inside Porun
. Yeah this shit is getting real now.

Jex

By "more often", I guess I meant "all the time". Especially if they keep wanting to save money. lol

There's a (perfectly reasonable) belief that if you farm out too much of your talent and train other people too well they'll just be able to completely replace you, which isn't what any studio wants.

duckroll

There's a (perfectly reasonable) belief that if you farm out too much of your talent and train other people too well they'll just be able to completely replace you, which isn't what any studio wants.

I don't think firehawk is talking about studios though. I guess he's wondering why there aren't more Japanese "productions" which are actually animated entirely in South Korea or China. Why contract a Japanese studio at all?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Natsu no Arashi Episode 1
Completely forgot about this show and dropping it after about three episodes because I forgot about it. Pretty forgettable.

"WiiU has no games" troll.
Banned for the truth! It's a conspiracy!!!111

While the lewd avy month idea may have been a risky idea, it did get me thinking that it would be pretty cool to have a themed avatar for each month with animegaf. Like a 'Jojo' themed month with poses and all would be pretty boss. Just a thought. :)
Well I was thinking of an Easter one for Easter. A dashed outline of an egg with two Akari hair buns on either side.

Avatars always get changed for the worse.
That's why you stick to a character so people still recognise you.

I was thinking of changing it to this.
DO IT.

They usually have the best prices for the items they offer (new, off the shelves ones at least). However, be careful when ordering, since AmiAmi does not allow simple one-click cancellations. They say that they don't allow them at all, but I've heard stories where they have with a lot of loops involved. As long as you don't plan to cancel, they're one of the best.
They've put up a mysterious item with no images and no one online has the images either. It's a CD that comes with what they claim to be a limited edition Akari nendo.I dare not order it until I know what it is because it could literally be the same one.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yes, AmiAmi only does combined shipping for pre-orders of the same month (or currently available ones bought at the same time). Since one of the mentioned is set for May and the other for June, you'd have to pay shipping for each separately upon charge and I believe it will cost more.
For the first time I've been able to take advantage of combined shipping. This of course has the positive of saving me money on shipping. There is the negative that I apparently bought more than one thing.

How would you even be able to live off of that?
Live at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom