• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

So the latest Twitter rumors from today's Hidamari Sketch Nippon Budokan Festival event are that the next anime project will be about Sae and Hiro's graduation. No confirmation for anything about it yet, but that's what's people are saying.

sae19gqujm.png
hiro16e6uct.png

...*sniffle*

It's just an owl wearing one of those rasta hats.

Haha

Theonik

Vividred Operation 08
A very notable lack of butts this episode I guess losing tomato-chan does hurt it somewhat! A fairly solid episode regardless.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
So the latest Twitter rumors from today's Hidamari Sketch Nippon Budokan Festival event are that the next anime project will be about Sae and Hiro's graduation. No confirmation for anything about it yet, but that's what's people are saying.

Here's hoping I get the drama triangle I've been waiting for!

LordCanti

Wolf Children

I was a little afraid of where it was going when
he was shown in wolf form post-coitus
but by the end I had forgotten that (and my relief that I watched the movie alone) and enjoyed one of the best anime movies in years.

The best moment of the movie for me was probably
Yuki's revelation that she was a wolf, and his revelation that he'd known all along. It's a shame that there wasn't any further payoff on their relationship, unless I missed him in any of the photos at the end.
Other than that, I was pretty moved by
Ame's show of gratitude to his mother at the end, and how it reached her even though she obviously doesn't speak Wolf.

Mamoru Hosoda is definitely coming into his own as a director, and I'm looking forward to many more movies of his to come.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Wolf Children

Lived up to the hype.

In both ways. One scene in particular pegged the needle in a way I didn't expect!

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Hey guys, I'm wondering if there are any new anime I should watch. I was specifically looking for perhaps a mystery?

I tried watching Psycho Pass, which I found to be semi-decent but quit after like 12 episodes.
Watched Hyouka and quit after 3 episodes because it felt too cliched and annoying, if it gets substantially better afterwards - do tell.
Other shows I watched lately (and disliked) are Tsuritama (lasted four episodes), Kokoro Connect (watched them all for some reason) and SAO (lasted six episodes).

Milamber

Hey guys, I'm wondering if there are any new anime I should watch. I was specifically looking for perhaps a mystery?

I tried watching Psycho Pass, which I found to be semi-decent but quit after like 12 episodes.
Watched Hyouka and quit after 3 episodes because it felt too cliched and annoying, if it gets substantially better afterwards - do tell.
Other shows I watched lately (and disliked) are Tsuritama (lasted four episodes), Kokoro Connect (watched them all for some reason) and SAO (lasted six episodes).

Wolf Children

Jex

Wolf Children

[...]

Mamoru Hosoda is definitely coming into his own as a director, and I'm looking forward to many more movies of his to come.

Oh god, don't say that! That's the kind of thing that gets said just before directors have a heart attack and die.

Theonik

Hyouka does pick up later though ymmv and a lot of people would argue it's good from the start.

Branduil

Hyouka gets better.

Also, try From the New World.

Jex

Wolf Children

Lived up to the hype.

In both ways. One scene in particular pegged the needle in a way I didn't expect!

I thought that those of us who had already seen the movie in cinemas and not-so-subtly hinted at the existence of that sequence!

Steroyd

Doki Doki Precure - 05

LOL at that CSI level of figuring out who Cure Sword is.

Fairly standard introduction of Cure Sword to the rest of everyone, yet it looks like she's going to take the loner role for a while.

DiGiKerot

Is Tiger & Bunny : The Beginning worth watching?

I really enjoyed it when I saw it. I have a few misgivings regarding suggesting it as a replacement for watching the TV show first - there's a few things about the first episode at least that I thought the TV version handled better, but there's just as much the movie does better as well. The new content is pretty plentiful, and whilst there's obviously no tension when it comes actually dealing with the new villain given the movies placement in the franchise timeline, they game him a neat gimmick and they managed to avoid doing anything that felt like it was retconning the TV show.

If you like the TV show, it's absolutely worth a watch.

Kurita

I really enjoyed it when I saw it. I have a few misgivings regarding suggesting it as a replacement for watching the TV show first - there's a few things about the first episode at least that I thought the TV version handled better, but there's just as much the movie does better as well. The new content is pretty plentiful, and whilst there's obviously no tension when it comes actually dealing with the new villain given the movies placement in the franchise timeline, they game him a neat gimmick and they managed to avoid doing anything that felt like it was retconning the TV show.

If you like the TV show, it's absolutely worth a watch.

I'm up to episode 10, will the movie spoil me?

DiGiKerot

I see, thank you!

Well, I should expand a bit - the first third / two-fifths of the movie is a recounting of the fist two episodes of the TV show, with a few bits of new content thrown in here and there. The rest of the movie is new content following on from there, set before the beginning of the third episode.

Defuser

Blood-C : The Last Dark

skyzy1v.jpg

Nothing from my mind can express how terrible this movie is. Not a single thing make any sense, it doesn't answer any questions from the TV series. The new characters are terrible and for the sake of being there, plot twist are cliche and can be seen from a mile away, the CGI is fucking ugly and doesn't goes well with the 2D. Fights between Saya and the old ones are anticlimatic which the TV series action is better. Production I.G wasted alot of production on this turd and got away clean. In other words, it lived up to the Blood-C name. Duckroll would enjoy this.

CorvoSol

So I've come to decide that the reason I don't like Setsuna F. Seiei in these initial episodes of Gundam is as follows:

1st, and most irrational, he looks like Shinn Asuka. Thankfully, he's better behaved. But Shinn's design, which I once found cool, is pretty sullied by his memory.

2nd, and more concrete, he killed his own family. This sets him a great deal apart from Sousuke Sagara, whose mother died trying to save him, and whose comrades in the Mujhadein were slaughtered by Gauron. I don't feel any pity at all for Setsuna knowing he's gone and done this.

3rd, and most important on my list: while he behaves, to a certain extent, like Sagara and Heero Yuy, he doesn't talk like them at all. Sousuke was oblivious of everything other than killing, and it showed when he spoke in comical and endearing ways. Heero only spoke when he had to, and judging from flashbacks its because he'd been a right monster before hand. Setsuna, on the other hand, spouts the kind of garbage I expect I put into character's mouths when I was fifteen. "Why do you deserve to pilot a Gundam?" "Because I exist!" I mean, REALLY, he's so, so utterly melodramatic when he DOES talk.

He also will suffer the entire show from being compared to Sousuke, and will never get out of that shadow for me. This goes back up to the top in "irrational" since I've already said that child soldiers who know mean mercenaries isn't unique to FMP but I'll be damned if it isn't hard not to compare the two all the same.

All the same, Setsuna isn't the Gundam pilot I hate. I dislike him, but he, unlike Shinn, has the good sense to keep his mouth shut most of the time, so as not to rile me up. His being quiet does wonders for his character's standing in my eyes.

No, the Gundam pilot I despise for Gundam 00 is Teria or whatever the hell his name is. In addition to looking as much like a lady as possible, he acts like Quistis Trepe on steroids, and is such an entitled, self-righteous douchebag that I can't help but hope he betrays the group and dies in the process. Purple haired douchebag looks like a lady is what I call him in my head, and if this were Gundam AGE he'd have died by now.

In fact, the good news about Gundam AGE is that as long as the character you hate isn't named Asuno or Galette, they'll be dead in three episodes anyway.

Maedhros

Don't continue Hyouka.
Try Space Bros.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

skyzy1v.jpg

Nothing from my mind can express how terrible this movie is. Not a single thing make any sense, it doesn't answer any questions from the TV series. The new characters are terrible and for the sake of being there, plot twist are cliche and can be seen from a mile away, the CGI is fucking ugly and doesn't goes well with the 2D. Fights between Saya and the old ones are anticlimatic which the TV series action is better. Production I.G wasted alot of production on this turd and got away clean. In other words, it lived up to the Blood-C name. Duckroll would enjoy this.

Blood-C continuing to shit away on the Blood franchise. I really enjoyed Plus. I figured the movie would suck but I had no idea it'd actually suck more than the series itself.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
DokiDoki Precure! 05:

get owned by the realization that you don't radiate perfection so powerfully that other people are helplessly drawn to you by sheer magnetism, Mana

I'm going to relish every second of IDOL CULTURE in my precurez. Except we're probably going to hear Makoto's shitty idol song thirty times over the course of the series, and usually the same ten-second soundbite. I wonder if they'll do what Yes! Precure 5 did at one point when it had a monstrous leap in quality for a single episode just because the episode was pimping the hell out of Urara's CV single :lol And what's up with that stiff 2D dancing? Makoto couldn't even win an Aikatsu battle with those moves.

It's just shocking how blatantly DokiDoki is Fresh 2.0. So much IDOL CULTURE, everybody's playing ridiculously fast and loose with their secret identities, MotWs calling their attacks, an insufferable baby mascot that just fucking ruins everything. I mean, for all I know this is future Yotsuba Town, after it's exploded from a charming suburban family-oriented community to a gigantic metropolis where Yotsuba Corp. has consolidated all of the financial power and driven the shopping district out of business (which means that all of the Fresh kids' parents lost their jobs. fuck)

I guess that this is just for SDBurton and Narag's mind to be blown, but
you know that restaurant that Love takes Setsuna to to introduce her to the joys of the human experience? Mana's dad's restaurant. They're even both houses that have been converted into eateries. BOOM

Lest I forget, this episode was also loaded with absolutely superb :wonzo.

jAvuM3S.jpg
tGN2pL9.jpg
vEep0Iu.jpg
sMrWzD0.jpg

2KTytyp.jpg

And here's Mana's unintentional yandere face. good

Try Accel World it is a superior and more refined take on SAO, the writer really improved.

Kurita

Space Brothers and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Jex

skyzy1v.jpg

Blood-C: The Last Dark appears to be the anti-Wolf Children. While every post I read about Wolf Children has been overwhelming positive every post I've read about The Last Dark has been extremely negative. Looks like Production I.G. really can't make anything good anymore.

Except that you folks appeared to kind of like Cyborg 009, I suppose.

BluWacky

Space Brothers and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Neither of those are mystery anime, though.

I would second Branduil's recommendation of From the New World, which is a fantasy thriller/horror with a fair element of mysterious goings-on.

For a straight mystery show, assuming you've not seen it, then Mouryou no Hako definitely fits the bill - it's recent and very few people have seen it so I have no compunction about recommending it, especially as it's also very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom