• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I can think of a number of mystery anime:

- Dragon Age
- Mass Effect
- Eureka Seven AO
- Blood-C The Last Dark

Unfortunately the mystery in all of those cases is why they were ever made in the first place. :(

Kyon

Banned

- Dragon Age
- Mass Effect
- Eureka Seven AO
- Blood-C The Last Dark

Unfortunately the mystery in all of those cases is why they were ever made in the first place. :(

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2 tbh

DiGiKerot

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2 tbh

But, unlike most of those other things (well, Eureka AO is probably an edge-case, in that I know a bunch of people who like it), Milky Holmes 2 was actually pretty entertaining, admittedly in an incredibly stupid way.

Jex

- Dragon Age
- Mass Effect
- Eureka Seven AO
- Blood-C The Last Dark

I think I can solve all these mysteries, even though I am sure you already have.

The Dragon Age and Mass Effect anime were both created for the same reason - as part of EA's general multi-media approach to pushing their IP's out into a ton of other mediums e.g. graphic novels, books and so forth with the idea that this will create a long-lasting property that can generate revenue via a variety of sources. Anime fans and video game fans have to cross over at some point, so why not exploit that demographic?

Eureka Seven AO was clearly created to give Eureka Seven fans the follow-up they deserved after that poorly received movie.

Blood-C The Last Dark was created to steal money from the Japanese government and to troll the extremely small number of people who actually enjoyed the TV series.

Instro

From the New World 22

Caught some negative commentary about this ep the other day, but I can't say I understand why. It was certainly a slower paced episode, setting up further developments as they search for this new weapon, but I didn't have any issues with what was happening. Although the sense of smell thing was over the top. The direction and visuals remained consistent with previous episodes, so there was no drop in quality there.

I feel like
that they are being lead into a trap, like Yakomaru wants them to find this weapon so he can use it against them. He must be aware of what it is at least. I'm not entirely convinced that Kiroumaru is on their side either. Also, how the hell did Inui escape from the rats during his mission if their sense of smell is that good. Finally, I'm quite convinced that this tunnel system is a pretty similar environment to the one seen in Saki's dream from episode 16. If what we saw this week was only the tip of the iceberg, then it wouldn't surprise me if it begins to mirror that dreamworld even more next week.

Hunter x Hunter 69
tumblr_mj3g1i2rNG1qii6huo1_500.gif

Well that was a fun episode. Really impressed with the power of the opponent and then making the actual premise behind Greed Island and its secret known to the people involved. Im surprised the characters didnt have lasting reactions towards that. Addition, flying? will we soon finally get nen beam blasts? Please?

Favorite moment:
Gon being completely blasted out of his shoes when he took the hit and right back up begging for more, I bet he'll be able to catch and throw it back by end game I hope, and ultimately, Killua too. Wonder if Hisoka and Bisky can do likewise, no way they can lose, hopefully

Also playing the One on One Match Electron Avalanche Remix I think in this episode is easily one of the best songs in the whole anime, it always pumps me up for this anime, so ready for the next episode.

cajunator

Banned
Hey guys, I'm wondering if there are any new anime I should watch. I was specifically looking for perhaps a mystery?

I tried watching Psycho Pass, which I found to be semi-decent but quit after like 12 episodes.
Watched Hyouka and quit after 3 episodes because it felt too cliched and annoying, if it gets substantially better afterwards - do tell.
Other shows I watched lately (and disliked) are Tsuritama (lasted four episodes), Kokoro Connect (watched them all for some reason) and SAO (lasted six episodes).

If you like bizarre mysterious stuff you might like Shin Sekai Yori/From the New world

Jex

A troll of a troll.

Well, watching Blood-C left me with the distinct impression that the writers hated you, and me, and Fred, and babies born five seconds ago and well, in general, everyone. It should come as no surprise that they seek to disappoint us at every turn.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
R_thanatos, instead of being super productive this week I've spent this weekend watching various Slayers stuff and listening to Slayers songs.

I'm holding you responsible. ;P (I'm exaggerating, as I run "Give a Reason" in the background).

Dresden

From the New World 22

I feel like
that they are being lead into a trap, like Yakomaru wants them to find this weapon so he can use it against them. He must be aware of what it is at least. I'm not entirely convinced that Kiroumaru is on their side either. Also, how the hell did Inui escape from the rats during his mission if their sense of smell is that good. Finally, I'm quite convinced that this tunnel system is a pretty similar environment to the one seen in Saki's dream from episode 16. If what we saw this week was only the tip of the iceberg, then it wouldn't surprise me if it begins to mirror that dreamworld even more next week.

(ep22) http://i.imgur.com/mUPndIN.png

cajunator

Banned
R_thanatos, instead of being super productive this week I've spent this weekend watching various Slayers stuff and listening to Slayers songs.

I'm holding you responsible. ;P (I'm exaggerating, as I run "Give a Reason" in the background).

That song is fantastic. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing this. I dare call that music inspirational.

Jex

So Jason never completed his Nekomonogatari Kuro post and never even bothered to explain why.

He's dead to me.

Kurita

Dinner ep.1
Everyone has secrets or dreams they can't tell anyone else. Nevertheless, we work and live everyday like any other day. Ezaki Motomu is no exception, a chef whose skills prove as top class, but whose personality is sometimes problematic to those around him. As the culinary master the most important equation to him is "Ingredient x Cooking method = Taste". No less, no more. He believes that things like relationship, love, and tradition are without substance and therefore completely unnecessary. However, it was not long before Ezaki was one day appointed to be a chief chef at a famous Italian restaurant.
The renowned restaurant "Roccabianca" run by owner Tatsumi Saori is a restaurant that is booked with reservations 3 months ahead of time. The 40 available seats are always occupied by regulars, ranging from office workers to culture ambassadors, all making frequent visits. "Roccabianca" is a restaurant that was opened by Saori's father and chief chef Tatsumi Hideo, a culinary charisma who came to be known as the pioneer in Italian food in Japan. Such a restaurant is not to be left unmentioned in the media, of course, and Fuji TV's "Iron Chef Japan" gives Tatsumi an offer to appear on the show. Saori goes to meet the producer of the show at the studio. After their meeting, her restaurant employees are well convinced that Tatsumi belongs on the show. Things take a turn for the worst, however, when Tatsumi suffers a subarachnoid hemorrhage. The operation is a success but there is no telling when he will regain consciousness.
Owner Saori continues to operate the restaurant even without her father, under his will. However, empty seats begin to appear. Saori feels that the restaurant is in threat of closing down and decides to take on a new chief chef. She had heard rumors about a Japanese chef who had earned an apprenticeship at the world famous restaurant "Tereza" in Italy, where her father Tatsumi had once worked as well. And that man was no one other than Ezaki himself.

Yaaaaay, another drama revolving around food. Don't know if this will be better than Hungry! but we'll see.
Not much to say about this first episode, we just get to learn about the restaurant's issues and all that stuff. The new chef seems badass even though he will start working in the next episode. His personality clashes with the restaurant's own standards so it will be interesting to see how this evolves.
The whole crew has their own personnal issues that were introduced in this first episode, I'm really curious to see how this can influences the restaurant's life.
I have just one problem, I can't stand when they speak Italian... And that's coming from a guy whose mother is from Italian descent. I just don't like the language, same goes for Spanish, Portuguese... Welp.

It was good, will watch the entire series.

Oh and the main girl is beautiful. She has super interesting pictures on Google (Kurashina Kana).

Novid

Banned
when i review wolf children - i can never give a perfect score. the reason is obvious. Kon's last movie is still out there waiting to be finished.

Fate/Stay Night 1 - 12

I guess it was alright. Some episode or rather some moments were just plain baffling or odd. Dont think I really found any significance or enjoyment to them trying to make it some type of harem or sort affair with everyone living and eating his food, or walking in on Saber in the shower, or her wanting him to lay his head on her lap etc. Outside of that some decent action at times. Really like the Emiya Shirou Shinji stuff going on for this first half. Really liked both alot. Additionally, Issei is good as well.

Coming to this after Fate/Zero most of the action feels a bit underwhelming or even the noble phantasms just a bit on the underimpressive side, poor Excalibur. Decent dub, no special features on the blu ray :(

cajunator

Banned
Fate/Stay Night 1 - 12

I guess it was alright. Some episode or rather some moments were just plain baffling or odd. Dont think I really found any significance or enjoyment to them trying to make it some type of harem or sort affair with everyone living and eating his food, or walking in on Saber in the shower, or her wanting him to lay his head on her lab etc. Outside of that some decent action at times. Really like the Emiya Shirou Shinji stuff going on for this first half. Really liked both alot Additionally, Issei is good as well.

Coming to this after Fate/Zero most of the action feels a bit underwhelming or even the noble phantasms just a bit on the underimpressive side, poor Excalibur. Decent dub, no special features on the blu ray :(

well thats a better reaction to the show than people normally have.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
30 minutes into Blood-C: The Last Dark:

Wait, is that
the dude from xxxHOLiC? I know that CLAMP loves cross-series cameos, but really? In this
?

Andrew J.

No, the Gundam pilot I despise for Gundam 00 is Teria or whatever the hell his name is. In addition to looking as much like a lady as possible, he acts like Quistis Trepe on steroids, and is such an entitled, self-righteous douchebag that I can't help but hope he betrays the group and dies in the process. Purple haired douchebag looks like a lady is what I call him in my head, and if this were Gundam AGE he'd have died by now.

Vowels was never my favorite, but he takes some hits to his ego and develops into a more likeable character eventually.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Um, did you watch the TV show?

Well, sure, but I'm fairly certain that he didn't make an appearance unless
the fox familiar was him. I've only seen two or three episodes of xxxHOLiC and that was several years ago so I really know nothing about his abilities or overall role in the CLAMP-verse

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Did you forget the role he played in the TV series?

See above. I didn't forget about
the dog
, but either I forgot that he revealed his identity or (more likely) just didn't make a connection with the name when he revealed who he was because I have minimal knowledge of
xxxHOLiC

jbug617

Banned
Fate/Stay Night 1 - 12

I guess it was alright. Some episode or rather some moments were just plain baffling or odd. Dont think I really found any significance or enjoyment to them trying to make it some type of harem or sort affair with everyone living and eating his food, or walking in on Saber in the shower, or her wanting him to lay his head on her lap etc. Outside of that some decent action at times. Really like the Emiya Shirou Shinji stuff going on for this first half. Really liked both alot. Additionally, Issei is good as well.

I enjoyed the movie more than the series.

Jex

[JoJo's Bizarre Adventure] - 20 & 21

I know this is going to sound extremely odd but I almost wish that episode 20 wasn't quite as great as it is. The problem is that I have now had a taste of what the show could look like with an average amount of skilled animators working on it. The rest of the series now feels much worse by comparison and the episode that proceeded it looked especially bad even though, in all fairness, it was about average for the show has a whole.

While most viewers of the show, myself included, have praised David Production for making a very enjoyable series despite obvious budget problems. Still, as episode 20 demonstrated, the show is far more enjoyable when it looks less like a crappy motion comic. This, I feel, is fairly obvious because action is a genre that generally avoids skimping on the animation because they know that it will severely hinder the enjoyment that one can get from the work. Therefore most action shows don't look anywhere near as cheap as JoJo's but I had kind of gotten used to it looking crummy. Perhaps it was just Stockholm syndrome but I had resigned myself to this reality, Now, however, I am stuck with this beautiful vision of a very different kind of production. One with exciting cinematography, average character animation, good looking effects animation, actual lighting and consistent character designs:

JoJocompira1_zps77853235.jpg
JoJocompira2_zpsda2a210e.jpg
JoJocompira3_zps76ff7a87.jpg
JoJocompira6_zps74eb4952.jpg

It's a little sad that the animation only had to rise to the level of being average to actually shock me. I mean, it's not like it ever looked great in the vein of this.

Of course, for whatever reason the show does not resemble this episode at all. What it generally looks like is this:

JoJocompira8_zps0dff1700.jpg
JoJocompira9_zps13226d5b.jpg

JoJocompira7_zpsf54768ed.jpg

rather than:

JoJocompira4_zps4aada933.jpg

Don't even get me started on the next episode preview. Dear god.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
DokiDoki Precure! 05:

I guess that this is just for SDBurton and Narag's mind to be blown, but
you know that restaurant that Love takes Setsuna to to introduce her to the joys of the human experience? Mana's dad's restaurant. They're even both houses that have been converted into eateries. BOOM

Wat? Waaaaaaaaaaaaat? :O

CorvoSol

GTO 5

Video Games, Crestas, and Sexual Harassment. All in a day's work for Great Teacher Onizuka! But can our hero, GTO, defeat his greatest challenge yet? The PTA? Find out next time on GTO ball Z!

Judging by all the extremely positive impressions around here it seems that Wolf Children is going to easily top the Anime of the Year thread.

Remember, people outside of animegaf have a say as well. Anything could take it, especially when the year isn't even a third over yet.

duckroll

Now that most people have seen Wolf Children I guess it would be timely to bring up Aya Suzuki's work again. She's the British-Japanese animator who worked on The Illusionist before heading to Japan to work on Satoshi Kon's ill-fated Dream Machine. After that she stayed on to work on Wolf Children and Miyazaki's upcoming movie, before joining Madhouse's segment in the Anime Mirai project.

According to Japanese fans, she is responsible for animating all the action in the second half of Death Billiards, so when we eventually get to watch it, that'll be something to look out for. Meanwhile, we can take a look at her work on Wolf Children in the form of layouts she posted a while back on her blog as part of her portfolio:

Source: http://ayasuzuki.blogspot.com/

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well, sure, but I'm fairly certain that he didn't make an appearance unless
the fox familiar was him. I've only seen two or three episodes of xxxHOLiC and that was several years ago so I really know nothing about his abilities or overall role in the CLAMP-verse
Well, if you know how xxxHOLiC ends then the appearance was obvious in the TV show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom