• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

However the movie isn't ultimately about the kids. As Yuki states early on, the story is about the mother. In fact, I think some stuff about the kids should have been cut out and even more emphasis put on the mom. There's some plotlines with the mother that feel kinda left to the wayside.

It's about both.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Love Live 9

:SDBurton

Nico had about eight billion reaction faces this week, too.

Will get caught up on this tomorrow.

Hidamari Sketch Gets New Anime of Sae & Hiro's Graduation

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...tch-gets-new-anime-of-sae-and-hiro-graduation

Well there's the confirmation. I really hope this doesn't mean the end because Hidamari Sketch is one of few things keeping me alive.

Nice. I have hope that there will be more wideface seasons after Sae and Hiro's departure.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
New one tomorrow!
This week's was actually really good!

That's what people have been saying for weeks, but when I actually watch each episode, well........

I'll just down 'em both tomorrow alongside the last two weeks of the other Monday shows.

Narag

It looks like the original Mobile Suit Gundam TV series is finally getting a Blu-ray box set release this summer.

43 eps? hd doan's island

That's what people have been saying for weeks, but when I actually watch each episode, well........

I'll just down 'em both tomorrow alongside the last two weeks of the other Monday shows.

At any rate, it's better than the other eps if you want a different sort of comparison.

Theonik

I was worried it was going to get caught up in the general election stuff there for a while or even just the day to day idol stuff. Talk about unfounded fears.
This is Kawamori. He probably planned all this out to more effectively troll us all.

Jarmel

Banned
It's about both.

I disagree with that. Much of the stuff about the children revolves around the mother and her reaction to it. The stuff with Ame isn't that particularly interesting by itself but rather how it pertains to Hana. For example,
the tension when Ame goes into the river is non-existent without the way Hana found Wolf-Man's body
. Even the stuff with Yuki has parallels with Hana.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
At any rate, it's better than the other eps if you want a different sort of comparison.

I know what you meant, I'm just being difficult!

kizPNzy.gif

this gif just because.

Shergal

Maybe. They'd have more time to work with if they cut out the extended furry fantasy opening.
Even though it was good.

I think it's true that Wolf Children scratches many more themes and narratives than it's healthy for a 2-hour film, but by not going incredibly in-depth with them it is able to perfectly combine everything into a seamless whole. I think it was duckroll who pointed out many things in which the movie reflected "how life is", like the restrained and, at first glance, sudden ending; or the way the montages are placed respective to
Yuki's understanding of the events
. Going with that idea, I find that WC deftly captures that feeling of inconclusiveness in life in how it treats the various subplots. It seems kinda :firehawk now that I think about it, but Hosoda has always strived for realism, and especially that "raw"-feeling realism I like so much about the animation and art in his movies.

Moonlight

Banned
Maybe. They'd have more time to work with if they cut out the extended furry fantasy opening.
Even though it was good.
If you'll forgive the obtuse analogy, that's like cutting out the first ten minutes of Up. Understanding how they fell in love, experiencing the life they build together adds absolutely necessary emotional context for not only
the scene where he dies, and Hana's immediate despair, but much of her actions and drive throughout the rest of the film. There's a few moments in the film that have her consult the shrine with his driver's license that wouldn't be nearly as meaningful without the context that the opening provides. How the film develops their relationship in those first twenty minutes sets the table for making Hana's love of her children and her sense of loss so convincing.

Instro

Sasami 8

Kind of a weird episode, because you can tell they ran out of time/budget after putting in a lot of work on the first half of the episode which had some really awesome sakuga.

OceanBlue

I think it's true that Wolf Children scratches many more themes and narratives than it's healthy for a 2-hour film, but by not going incredibly in-depth with them it is able to perfectly combine everything into a seamless whole. I think it was duckroll who pointed out many things in which the movie reflected "how life is", like the restrained and, at first glance, sudden ending; or the way the montages are placed respective to
Yuki's understanding of the events
. Going with that idea, I find that WC deftly captures that feeling of inconclusiveness in life in how it treats the various subplots. It seems kinda :firehawk now that I think about it, but Hosoda has always strived for realism, and especially that "raw"-feeling realism I like so much about the animation and art in his movies.

This captures something I appreciate about the movie as well. It doesn't attempt to beat me over the head with one major theme or message. The characters' lives don't feel constructed or framed in order to create an argument. These things have their place and are great for other purposes, but what I got from Wolf Children was a natural, well-told narrative.

Eh, I can't think of a better way to describe it. Basically, I feel that Wolf Children doesn't attempt to engage too much in themes. I don't know much about literary analysis, so sorry if this sounds silly, lol.

Edit: I guess the way you've put it is the best way to describe it: "WC defly captures that feeling of inconclusiveness in life on how it treats the various subplots."

Branduil

I disagree with that. Much of the stuff about the children revolves around the mother and her reaction to it. The stuff with Ame isn't that particularly interesting by itself but rather how it pertains to Hana. For example,
the tension when Ame goes into the river is non-existent without the way Hana found Wolf-Man's body
. Even the stuff with Yuki has parallels with Hana.

The point is, I think, that if there's a "main character" in Wolf Children, it's the family itself rather than any single individual.

cajunator

Banned

Jarmel

Banned
The point is, I think, that if there's a "main character" in Wolf Children, it's the family itself rather than any single individual.

If that's the case then there are problems with the way that
the fight between Yuki and Ame isn't resolved.

Branduil

With brothers and sisters, stuff like that usually is. Especially at that age. Hell,
we don't even see the reaction of Yuki to her brother just up and leaving.

Well, I think part of that was that
they live in different worlds now.

Jarmel

Banned
Well, I think part of that was that
they live in different worlds now.

It just doesn't feel natural. I mean
unless you absolutely despise your brother or something of that nature, you don't just never talk to him again or pretend he doesn't exist. Even a quiet scene with the two staring at each other and coming to terms with the other's choice would have been adequate. I could understand if both of them were in their twenties or thirties but fights at that age are generally resolved within 24 hours.

Branduil

I wonder if duckroll would be willing to sacrifice all of AnimeGAF to go back to the days when ricebowls were the only flaw with Magi.

zeroshiki

unless you absolutely despise your brother or something of that nature, you don't just never talk to him again or pretend he doesn't exist. Even a quiet scene with the two staring at each other and coming to terms with the other's choice would have been adequate. I could understand if both of them were in their twenties or thirties but fights at that age are generally resolved within 24 hours.

Actually I think its the opposite. With siblings, especially at that young age,
fights are resolved by it just disappearing. The parties never touch on the issue again and they go on as if nothing happened.

Jarmel

Banned
Actually I think its the opposite. With siblings, especially at that young age,
fights are resolved by it just disappearing. The parties never touch on the issue again and they go on as if nothing happened.

That is true to a certain extent however,
in terms of the movie, that is really the last scene that we have of the two interacting. If the movie is about the family as a unit then there should be some sort of scene tying them together. What is left is the implication that the two never resolved their differences.

OceanBlue

Do the two really
come to accept the other's choice though? Ame, in the end, abandons his humanity to live in the wild. Yuki might have realized that she doesn't need to hate her wolf side as much as she does, or she might have just been happy at finding another human who accepts her as a human instead of a wolf-human monster.

I understand what you mean that it feels weird for two children to be so serious on an argument like this, but nothing really suggests that they became more understanding or closer by the end. Hana is really the only one in the end who accepts that the human side and the wolf side of the two children are both okay. That's why they live in two different worlds. At least, that's how I interpreted the end of the movie.

Edit: I guess my point is that any sort of resolution between the two would've felt unnatural for me. Although I don't feel too happy that they don't reconcile at the end, they don't really reach a point where they can come to accept their differences because, until the very end of the movie, they're moving farther away from each other. I think that, if they were to reconcile, it would probably happen after they were older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom