• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Gundam UC(Unicorn) Episode 6:Two Worlds, Two Tomorrows/The Sky and the Stars
5.jpg

Sinanju's growing arsenal makes it formidable and awesome to watch
Just caught this on PSN and the gundam fan on me needed to get out some thoughts.

The story picks up right where episode 5 left off. The Laplace Box's location has finally been revealed and the Unicorn and crew have been forced to flee from the Vist foundation into space, forming an uneasy alliance with the Neo Zeon separatists. This alliance between the Londo Bell crew and Zeon is where the bulk of the drama of this episode comes in.

In terms of Plot/Battle ratios, this episode clocks in much closer to episode 3 than episode 4. While that certainly makes it a less exciting episode, it gives the series some much needed story drive. Full Frontal's motivations are finally revealed and the pieces are setup for a massive confrontation for the box in the final episode. All the cards are finally laid out and that's a fascinating thing to watch, if not something that should have happened way sooner. The episode does that in the context of a much smaller story of distrust among the Londo Bell forces and the Zeons. It's actually quite gripping drama. Neither side has entered this alliance under their full volition. Throwing two groups that have spent months fighting each other into the same ship inevitably leads to questioning motives, arguments and escalating tensions. While I suspect this will feel to many as stalling for time in an OVA that desperately needs to get on with the point, it works for me. It creates something of interest to latch onto while the episode builds to a giant conflict that has to be saved for the finale.

This does lead to the main point where the episode fails. There's a lot of gundam BS politicking going on here, to varying degrees of success. Shuichi Ikeda pulls off a masterful performance as Full Frontal finally revealing his true goals. His years of experience as Char really come in handy here. He brings a charisma and air of intelligence to the speech that really help win you over. There's also a great speech given by the Nihel Argama's captain right before the deployment for the last battle. Where it doesn't work is, everywhere else frankly. Audrey's speeches and actions feel naive and forced. I'm not sure if it's her voice actress or the writing that lets the character down, but she just doesn't seem like a convincing character. I don't really believe in her or her dreams for the future, which is a problem as a large portion of the episode relies on you being on her side. There's also a lot of back room political mumbo jumbo stuff going on that feels like filler and is mostly a huge drag on the episode's pacing.

1362161828873_zpsbd9deb9c.png

Marida continues to prove why she's the best character

We also have the problems that have plagued Unicorn since the beginning, outside of Zinnerman and Marida the characters just aren't that great. Full Frontal and Angelo are really allowed to take center stage and chew scenery, but that isn't really enough. There isn't any development to those characters, just capitalizing on what makes them interesting already. None of the major characters, outside of Riddhe, get any sort of development at all. Banagher is still the half-timid, half-super determined gundam protagonist that changes whenever the story needs it and Audrey is the same wannabe political leader who doesn't really have any true ideas of how to solve problems. Riddhe is the only one who changes at all and it's crazy how much off screen development that character has gotten. It's an interesting turn for him to take, and it's one telegraphed by the end of episode 5, but it isn't one that happens naturally. You're given the trigger and the final change and left to draw your own conclusions on how he got there. It feels really lazy on the writer's part.

Where Unicorn really kills it, though, are the visuals and music. Holy crap is episode 6 a pretty thing to watch. From the battle at the beginning we are given tons of awesome particle effects, great lighting, amazingly choreographed mecha fights. It's just so captivating. Beam sabers actually crackle and spark in a way that I've never really seen a gundam show do. That first fight really cements the Sinanju as my favorite enemy MS of all time. I just adore the way that thing fights, moves, and all the combat options it has loaded on board. The mecha nerd in me goes nuts at just seeing it on screen. It's so much fun to watch.

1362161171883_zps174d2382.jpg

Something big is coming

The attention to detail brought to every moment is staggering. Nothing is left undone, even if it's minor and in the background. There are multiple scenes of mecha being constructed and stripped down to the skeletal frames. It's great to watch and just pour over all the detail put into these things. Everything is thought out and has it's place. It's just so visually well thought out.

The music is as un-subtle as ever, but I still really enjoy it. It brings a good bit of emotion to the smaller moments, and the bombast is perfect for the battle scenes. While I was disappointed by the lack of Sawano's trademark Unicorn theme, the battle themes he comes up with here work just as well. I feel like he's really grown as a gundam composer throughout making this. A lot of the beats he missed in scoring the early episodes are things he works with here. This is an episode he should have had the most problem with as so far his music hasn't worked well with the human drama scenes, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

1362161609936_zps306e0e6e.png

Screw the haters, Full Armor Unicorn is badass!

TL;DR Gundam UC 06 is more Unicorn, in both good and bad aspects. The massive war setup for 7 is super exciting, though, and I'm totally on board at this point. The buildup has all been for this and it's clear Sunrise is going to bring out the big guns for this last one. I really can't wait. It should be something to see.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So instead of checking any newfangled animays or anything in my backlog I spent most of my weekend rewatching Utena. A long post is to come, but, FYI: watching Adolescence Apocalypse with twenty-four hours of sleep deprivation can later lead to wacky dreams.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The Unlimited: Hyoubu Kyousuke 08:

Roman and Unlimited both vastly up their game in the same week? Wow. The animation boost and the presence of some semblance of thoughtful and deliberate direction did great things for what was shaping up to be an otherwise predictable flashback narrative. Kyousuke's not any less of a dick, but now I understand why he's a dick. This show's been a mess but I feel like my patience has been suitably rewarded and I'm kind of interested to see what happens in tomorrow's episode now. Don't let me down Manglobpfffffahahahahahah sure.

Shergal

Hyouka 7 (Rewatch)

You know, I remember this episode being substantially stronger when I first watched it; not to say it's bad, I think it's still really good, and especially the final stretch is grandiose, but I had this idea that it was one of the best episodes of the whole show... I'm finding myself liking 1 and 5 more on rewatch.

Alas, this is the first of Hiroko Utsumi's exploits in Hyouka, and a very good effort at that. She's one of my favourite directors at Kyoani, and she certainly stands out with her storyboards (she did episode 5 of Chuu2 which is probably the most salvageable entry along with 6, and K-On!! 13 which was somewhat unusual and out-there for the series, to note some good stuff she has done). Particularly, she handles the rhythm of the shots very well, and uses quick cutting to great effect. This time, it was mostly for gags, but this technique works well for more serious scenes like in episode 21, which she also storyboarded.
FkrabTl.jpg
6v245Pp.jpg

We're back to the dignified and amazing BG art after the dry episode 6.
Our characters go to an onsen this time, but it feels nothing like a typical anime onsen episode, and instead the whole thing is bathed in Hyouka's beautiful yet low-key atmosphere, which makes for a rather exciting watch. It's always nice to see the characters come into their own when there is no plot dictating their interactions, and I appreciate the first half of the episode for that.

But this time, unlike the previous episode, the mystery holds itself well because it actually is related directly to characters we see, and indirectly to Chitanda and Oreki. It's this multi-layered aspect of Hyouka's plots what makes or breaks them, and this time it succeeds easily. I, like Chitanda, am an only child, but I've never urged for a sibling so I can't say I completely get how she feels. If the show doesn't make it clear with all its rosy color palettes and big-scope music, Chitanda loves to idealize and romanticize things, and we had a nice counterpoint to that in this episode, both by the narrative at hand and Oreki's entry. The little things in relation to his sister we get from him in this episode, along with some later information, give us insight into how he has developed into the lifestyle we see by episode 1. It's only natural that he will retreat into the comfort of not even trying, when he was totally overshadowed since birth in every way by his sister. It's one of the subtler things in Hyouka, but the amount of sense it makes for our protagonist's backstory and personality is commendable.

0EfkweP.jpg
YKjtylv.jpg

I enjoyed the flamboyant imaginary segments for this episode, they worked well for depicting a typical summer horror story while never leaving Oreki's detached viewpoint.

If there's one thing to praise, it's the animation. Animation DO is really awesome, and this time it feels like the animation director Miku Kadowaki really went all out. Everything is moving at all times, and the characters make great and unpredictable expressions that further expand them and make them feel like actual people instead of amalgams of set poses. The character animation this time was nuanced while at the same time never stopping being funny and exciting. The "fanservice" part at the onsen was notable, and Satoshi dancing around the room near the beginning was really like him. But I think the highlight of the episode was the final sequence, animated by Tatsuya Satou. In fact, I loved that part so much on all levels that I think I'm biased towards its animation.
This is what Hyouka is all about: gorgeous backgrounds, appealing framing, classical music (the return of Air was welcomed with open arms), superb character animation, and the bitter-sweetness of it all. This sequence is definitely on my top 10 for the best scenes of the show, and probably top 5 even. The exaggerated contrast between Chitanda's little illusion of perfect siblings crashing down, all with same-perspective shot and dramatic shading, and the subsequent reconfirmation of it that keeps the dichotomy alive as her overjoyed face tells us to embrace the little things, speaks about her outlook on life, about Oreki's, and about Hyouka's encompassing theme. Wonderful.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hidamari Sketch Gets New Anime of Sae & Hiro's Graduation

Well there's the confirmation. I really hope this doesn't mean the end because Hidamari Sketch is one of few things keeping me alive.
Let's see if Shaft will sell out faster than KyoAni and do a Yuno in 3rd year season and introduce two new characters!

I think you answered your own question here. The viewer is not separate from the movie itself. We are active participants and thus are more able to fill in the blanks, of sorts, to the missing exposition you are looking for. I'm pretty sure you don't need to be told that
not running around the mountain on all fours and having shelter and running water
is pretty awesome. While the flip side is more separate to us and thus needed more exposition. My 2 cents :lol
Yes, but we're also talking about a movie here. I mean, the city
kills the husband/father, forces Hana to move to the country, and forces Yuki to turn into a "girl".
:p

That can easily be lampshaded anyways.
He went to live with their grandmother.
There. Done.
Speaking of which, did Hana even have a family? lol

The Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki
One of Wolf Children's blaring failings is the narration. It serves minimal purpose whatsoever.
I disliked it and converted into liking it as I was typing my explanation. It was a weird change of opinion. lol

It wasn't emotionally involving, but some handling of the family themes really hit the right spot. Moments that come to mind are:
The fight between Ame and Yuki, it's an escalation that, as a sibling, can attest builds quite naturally. A smaller touch that worked in the scene was Yuki actually asking Ame if he wanted to scrap.
This particular line really worked for the sudden escalation of that scene.
Did you cry? I hope I'm not the only one who didn't cry when watching this film!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wolf Children

At some point while watching this film I was thinking this is one of my favorite anime titles I've ever watched in my life.

By the end of the film I was honestly glad it was finally over because it was really starting to get pretty dull. The movie overstays its welcome by the end. Really felt like the last bit dragged so much longer than it needed to.

The most enjoyable parts of the film all revolve around Hana.
Everything involving her and the difficulties of being a single mother strikes such a chord that resonates like no other movie.
Nothing else in this film matches that emotional level that is there throughout the film and the parts of the film that don't involve Hana are the weakest parts of the film. I honestly couldn't have cared less about the children while watching this film.

In the end I'm not really sure what to think. I loved this film but I was left with something more and something different than what I got or what I was expecting after the first third of the movie or so.

Let's see if Shaft will sell out faster than KyoAni and do a Yuno in 3rd year season and introduce two new characters!

But that's exactly what I want! The series should only end once the last of the main cast graduates, and then Yunnochi and Miyako go to college and dorm together to be the greatest and cutest lesbian couple of all time.

Shergal

Speaking of which, did Hana even have a family? lol

It's kinda subtle, but the movie seems to imply that
she's an orphan, at least of mother. There are some out of focus shots of photos she has, and most of them are with her dad, and I think there was something implying the dad was dead too but honestly I can't be sure I'm not having delusions about that one.

edit: oh wait
that conversation about the funeral. Of course lol

Jarmel

Banned
she's an orphan, at least of mother. There are some out of focus shots of photos she has, and most of them are with her dad, and I think there was something implying the dad was dead too but honestly I can't be sure I'm not having delusions about that one.

They outright state the dad is dead and that is where the savings are coming from. As for the mother, they never bring her up or discuss her in any detail which I thought was weird.

zeroshiki

Since I was away last year when it premiered, I decided to look around for critical reception of Wolf Children and I found praise for it from 2 very unlikely sources.

Yoshiyuki Tomino (yes, that one) who is famous for being super critical of anime in general sang the praises of Wolf Children in some kind of event last year. His comments lavished praise on the movie and Hosoda saying "you could say a new age has started," "I feel blessed as a creator to be able to watch a work like this" and "it defies genre conventions".

On the other hand, Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki also watched with Tomino apparently but only left a short doodle that went something like "Wolf Children Ame and Yuki, always with Mother but..."

ipk2ovI4yUGk8.jpg

Suck it, Suzuki.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But that's exactly what I want! The series should only end once the last of the main cast graduates, and then Yunnochi and Miyako go to college and dorm together to be the greatest and cutest lesbian couple of all time.
Well, if they keep adding new characters, who is the main cast? lol
I know that the series is centred on Yuno - as evidenced by how each episode ends - but I almost think that the show could go on indefinitely if it just followed new students staying at the dorm.

But of course, they're not going to kill their main characters. As Mandoric suggested, if there is another season after this, there's no doubt that Sae and Hiro would just drop by randomly just because they can. lol

Not gonna lie, there were a few scenes that almost got to me.

My room was just dusty though, I swear!
I didn't even get close to that unfortunately. I really must have no soul or something. lol

I believe that quote already answers your question:

No.
Yay. You have no soul either!

No more new characters!
It turns out boys start staying at Hidamari!

Well, he's already watched the best Hosada film... so he's done!

edit: oh wait
that conversation about the funeral. Of course lol
They outright state the dad is dead and that is where the savings are coming from. As for the mother, they never bring her up or discuss her in any detail which I thought was weird.
Hrm, maybe the mother was just out of the picture (heh heh) as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ginga e Kickoff 35
ksheFP1l.jpg

First, it's "hungry" Kobayashi but not in the context of her being some kind of pervert. Weird.
Second, they had someone speak Spanish... and English! I know it's only a few throwaway lines, but it's better than Space Brothers. :p

h81kqZhl.jpg

Also, another Nadeshiko reference after all that time. So close to a Nadeshiko anime yet so far...

Y3EaBYLl.jpg

And hey, one of the weirder reaction faces that I've seen. She's both shocked but she also has a bit of the :3 grin. lol

Jarmel

Banned
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Last Dark is so utterly boring. I literally couldn't see through the entire film without breaks. There is nothing to it. There are a few good scenes that are animated fairly well and some of the camera shots are fairly cool but so much of this is a dud. The narrative is full of obvious twists that a monkey could figure out. Was I supposed to be surprised at half this plot? Was I supposed to care about these random characters that are more annoying than anything else? Was I supposed to be impressed by the CGI? The soundtrack is lifeless until the credits song which is half-decent. The worst thing anything can be is boring. It was like I was watching paint drying on a wall for two hours.

Atleast I saw titties. Seriously though, fuck you IG for wasting my time.

Jarmel

Banned
So I just saw some stuff from the Fate/Zero manga about Ryunosuke's lair.

I now understand why there were a bunch of black bars. I still think they should have animated it but then there would have been no way in hell that would have been aired on television.

Instro

Man all these bad reviews make me not even want to bother with The Last Dark.

So I just saw some stuff from the Fate/Zero manga about Ryunosuke's lair.

I now understand why there were a bunch of black bars. I still think they should have animated it but then there would have been no way in hell that would have been aired on television.

You just don't understand art!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom