• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Do the two really
come to accept the other's choice though? Ame, in the end, abandons his humanity to live in the wild. Yuki might have realized that she doesn't need to hate her wolf side as much as she does, or she might have just been happy at finding another human who accepts her as a human instead of a wolf-human monster.

I understand what you mean that it feels weird for two children to be so serious on an argument like this, but nothing really suggests that they became more understanding or closer by the end. Hana is really the only one in the end who accepts that the human side and the wolf side of the two children are both okay. That's why they live in two different worlds. At least, that's how I interpreted the end of the movie.

Perhaps not accept but understand. Even then, there is a timeskip of sorts and after years, you're telling me that the two can't see eye-to-eye at all? Again, unless you hate your brother, which I never really got that perspective from the movie, you might not agree with what they're doing but at a certain point you have to let go of it.

They may not be closer but they certainly wouldn't be that detached either.

zeroshiki

That is true to a certain extent however,
in terms of the movie, that is really the last scene that we have of the two interacting. If the movie is about the family as a unit then there should be some sort of scene tying them together. What is left is the implication that the two never resolved their differences.

I thought the
fight
was resolved rather clearly.
Yuki used to be able to beat the crap out of Ame but this time she "lost" because she's effectively lost her wild side. They've both chosen the path they want to go on and that was that. It didn't have to end with both of them embracing each other in tears. I thought there was an understanding built and nothing more really needed to be said.

I get what you're saying about it not being "neat" though. And
it does feel build that they basically ended their relationship at that. But that's life, really.

duckroll

Wolf Children is about Hana, she is the main character. Hosoda has made this pretty clear from the beginning. Yes, it's a movie about a family, but the only reason for that is because he wanted to tell a story about the struggles and triumphs of a single mother.
The movie starts with the moment she first meets the father of her children because that is the beginning of her journey to becoming a mother. The movie ends with her being content that she has raised the children to a point where they can look after themselves enough to be part of the world they want to be.
I think it's pretty clear that Hana is the narrative arc of the film, and the children are only a large part of the film because they are such an important part of her life. Do not be tricked by the narrator. The narrator is not the main character. The narrator is simply the person who is telling Hana's story, and she happens to also be in the story herself.

Jarmel

Banned
No, it isn't. Not all family relationships go smoothly.

I have a sister, grew up with a cousin who is like a brother, and have seen the interactions with multiple friends. I would definitely say it is.

Unless your brother is a drug addict, is stealing money from the family, or some other extreme circumstance.

Jarmel

Banned
Is this the part where we claim our anecdotal experiences are universal.

We're talking about something being natural, anecdotal experiences are the only thing a person can rely on.

Wolf Children is about Hana, she is the main character. Hosoda has made this pretty clear from the beginning. Yes, it's a movie about a family, but the only reason for that is because he wanted to tell a story about the struggles and triumphs of a single mother.
The movie starts with the moment she first meets the father of her children because that is the beginning of her journey to becoming a mother. The movie ends with her being content that she has raised the children to a point where they can look after themselves enough to be part of the world they want to be.
I think it's pretty clear that Hana is the narrative arc of the film, and the children are only a large part of the film because they are such an important part of her life. Do not be tricked by the narrator. The narrator is not the main character. The narrator is simply the person who is telling Hana's story, and she happens to also be in the story herself.

That's essentially what I got from it as well.

OceanBlue

Wolf Children is about Hana, she is the main character. Hosoda has made this pretty clear from the beginning.
[...]
The movie ends with her being content that she has raised the children to a point where they can look after themselves enough to be part of the world they want to be.

I didn't understand
how the end of Yuki's story fit if Hana was supposed to be the main character, because it just seemed so detached from Hana that I couldn't find how to link the two. Looking at it as Hana's growth as a mother and how her children become extensions of her development makes a lot more sense to me.
I guess I also agree that Hana is the main character.

Jarmel

Banned
I didn't understand
how the end of Yuki's story fit if Hana was supposed to be the main character, because it just seemed so detached from Hana that I couldn't find how to link the two. Looking at it as Hana's growth as a mother and how her children become extensions of her, makes a lot more sense to me.

What I got from that is Yuki ignoring the advice of her mother and telling someone else her secret. She also is diverging from Hana's advice. Both of the children are making decisions for themselves and who they want to be.

Lain

Chihayafuru S2 Episode 1

I'm sure I'll regret starting to watch it before it's done, but I couldn't resist anymore.
Great first episode, Kana's scheme to grab the first years was spot on.
The scene where everyone realizes how greedy Chihaya is killed me and also the message exchange with Porky was humourous.
I'm a bit doubtful about what this Sumire girl can bring to the show on the karuta side, but we'll see.

Oh, the show has a great ED and a nice OP.

A big titted curvy schoolgirl. Gotta have these.

more like Lard Lad amirite

QLY6il.jpg

Branduil

I didn't understand
how the end of Yuki's story fit if Hana was supposed to be the main character, because it just seemed so detached from Hana that I couldn't find how to link the two. Looking at it as Hana's growth as a mother and how her children become extensions of her development makes a lot more sense to me.

Well, you could look at it as
Yuki showing her independence by voluntarily revealing her secret instead of keeping it hidden like her mother wanted.
It's not as blatant as Ame's story but it's still there.

On a side note, I think it's kind of funny how
big of a deal keeping it a secret is, but both people in the film who find out someone they like is a wolf-person are just like "whatever, I don't even care."

OceanBlue

What I got from that is Yuki ignoring the advice of her mother and telling someone else her secret. She also is diverging from Hana's advice. Both of the children are making decisions for themselves and who they want to be.

Hmm, I didn't consider that Yuki was
diverging from Hana's advice. I guess her leaving home for middle school is the culmination of her becoming mature enough to decide where she belongs herself.

Well, you could look at it as
Yuki showing her independence by voluntarily revealing her secret instead of keeping it hidden like her mother wanted.
It's not as blatant as Ame's story but it's still there.

On a side note, I think it's kind of funny how
big of a deal keeping it a secret is, but both people in the film who find out someone they like is a wolf-person are just like "whatever, I don't even care."

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense and I think that's how we're supposed to look at it. I'm kinda sad I didn't see it at first. :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
We're talking about something being natural, anecdotal experiences are the only thing a person can rely on.
The rift between them was already there, as both had diametrically opposed viewpoints on how they should live their lives. The fight didn't come from nowhere, and didn't do much but cement that rift as shown in the respective outcomes with Yuki crying in the bathtub while Ame showing a wilder side.

The conflict that needed to be resolved wasn't between the two, though, but of Hana's own acceptance of the divergent paths her children could take.

Bringing this back to the point at hand, rifts do form between family, even if it's just a matter of becoming distant rather than a dramatic break.

Jarmel

Banned
The rift between them was already there, as both had diametrically opposed viewpoints on how they should live their lives. The fight didn't come from nowhere, and didn't do much but cement that rift as shown in the respective outcomes with Yuki crying in the bathtub while Ame showing a wilder side.

The conflict that needed to be resolved wasn't between the two, though, but of Hana's own acceptance of the divergent paths her children could take.

Bringing this back to the point at hand, rifts do form between family, even if it's just a matter of becoming distant rather than a dramatic break.

I agree on the bolded, and that's ultimately why I thought the movie was focused more on Hana rather than the family as a unit. That scene was there to illustrate to Hana about
the different roads her children would take rather than the emotions between Ame and Yuki themselves.

Articalys

So, should we just make this thread into the Wolf Children OT and turn the current Wolf Children OT into the general anime discussion thread?

Branduil

So, should we just make this thread into the Wolf Children OT and turn the current Wolf Children OT into the general anime discussion thread?

Both threads would just become about Wolf Children since it's the only anime most people want to talk about right now.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

There is never any insight into the perspective they have of one another though. I guess that's what I find lacking.

duckroll

It's a jetpack knee simulator

It kinda does feel that way. It's really funny how most of the good offensive gameplay involves basically dash sliding right into enemy fire, and then doing that funny looking bouncing evade move and going slow-mo in mid-air to snipe a few heads, before dash sliding the fuck out of the area, recovering energy, and then repeating the same thing again. Lol.

Branduil

There is never any insight into the perspective they have of one another though. I guess that's what I find lacking.

Siblings often take each other for granted, they don't necessarily think about their family in the detached way that "perspective" implies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Futari wa Precure Max Heart 10:

Luminous' plastic shit thing orbits the fucking earth when she's not using it? The hell? I have an inordinate love of orbital weapons in fiction but that's still really really stupid and weird.

jbug617

Banned
Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu: Finale OVA 4
This family is messed up. All of the effort they put in is ridiculous. I would never thought this show would end up like this.

Well you should watch it, because every other season is greater than the first.

I have them on DVD just didn't get to them yet.

Ultimadrago

The Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki

I largely appreciated the visuals in the film. The background art was swell as was the animation. I haven't bothered with The Girl Who Leapt Through Time nor Summer Wars. But I have seen Omatsuri Danshaku to Himitsu no Shima, (a long time ago) so I'm at least a bit familiar with Hosada's character designs. They are created for expressive animation and it shows again in this film, especially in the wolf children. Several cuts in the film, as well, stood out in a positive way (usually scenes involving direct relationships whether between Hana and her mate, the children and Hana, Ami and Yuki, so on).

One of Wolf Children's blaring failings is the narration. It serves minimal purpose whatsoever. I wouldn't even say it gave needed direction to the narrative. Even the moderately light amount it had (in relation to the entire film) was excessive. I see where someone would come from comparing it to Wall-E's opening, but it does not reach that level of credit. The context of each film makes the light/no dialogue work to completely different ends, Pixar's work not having vocal narration of any sort (again, only regarding introduction). The biggest issue is, it wouldn't take extremely complex steps to fix.

Then there's the computer-generated vehicles which are still unsightly while being many in number and the first-person scenes were not welcome. There are thankfully only
of those, though. In contrast, the latter part of the scene where the second one resides,
riding down the hill
is one of the better moments in the film. I believe some of the greenery used computer-generated features as well, but these actually worked well. It's unfortunate that the not-so-good stuff popped out.

It wasn't emotionally involving, but some handling of the family themes really hit the right spot. Moments that come to mind are:
The fight between Ame and Yuki, it's an escalation that, as a sibling, can attest builds quite naturally. A smaller touch that worked in the scene was Yuki actually asking Ame if he wanted to scrap.
This particular line really worked for the sudden escalation of that scene.

Secondly,
when Ame leaves Hana in the parking lot, the first thing she says is "I haven't done enough yet." Well, it's something along the lines. The selflessness/(selfishness?) of a good mother and the guidelines of "a mother's job never being done" affected Hana's immediate reaction to his leaving. She gets out of it really quickly, which is a slight issue, but the film goes on for long enough without delving into that shift. The point is that despite all that she already did to get good into her children's stomachs and raise them right, she still desired to give more. She knows it can't be that way forever and the audience knows it can't be that way forever. Nonetheless, it's a decent cap near the final minutes that naturally progresses from her struggles ranging throughout the film.
Dabbing on the music, it definitely adds to some of the better scenes. (Here's where I bring up the
winter
scene again).

Since I've read multiple Ghibli comparisons, it's worthy to note that this is still better than Ghibli's past five or so odd films. It had a major concept of family and dealt with the intertwining relationships decently.

Andrew J.

Wolf Children

Goddamit. Now I have to watch (or re-watch) everything else Hosoda has ever made. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is like forty bucks on Amazon. Used! Fuck.

Moonlight

Banned
Wolf Children

Goddamit. Now I have to watch (or re-watch) everything else Hosoda has ever made. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is like forty bucks on Amazon. Used! Fuck.
This just reminded me there's a copy of it for like twenty five bucks at a local anime store, I think I'm gonna bite next time I start shopping.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman 08:

Wow, that actually was really good. Hopefully next episode solidifies that this is some kind of turning point.

Red Loincloth Seibei is a true man, and this episode makes it pretty clear that he's putting said loins to, uhh, pretty good use, even if some of those kids are adopted.

Articalys

Anime based on cellphone games continues.
The anime studio Gonzo is producing a television anime adaptation of the GREE mobile social game Zettai Bōei Leviathan (Absolute Defense Leviathan) for an April 6 premiere. The game is a role-playing game set on Aquafall, a fantasy world abound with water and greenery, and populated by dragons and fairies.

Meteorites suddenly bring forth evil creatures that threaten all living things on the planet. The fairy Syrup (voiced by Kana Hanazawa) assembles the Aquafall Defence Force, with three girls of the dragon clans as recruits. The story follows Syrup and the dragon girls Leviathan (Saori Hayami), Bahamut (Eri Kitamura), and Jörmungandr (Ayana Taketatsu) as they work together to battle enemies and grow up.
http://leviathan-anime.net/

wonzo

Banned
InfernoCop Fact File 10: "Khnum-Khufu"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwH3sxrwGTs
Good to know I'm not the only one following these VITAL FACTS about the INFERNO COP CANON!!!

Fell asleep midway through Hidamari Sketch s1. Should I persevere?
It's worth it, just keep in mind Season 1's comparatively weak when compared to the other seasons outside of a few eps and the specials.

Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman 08:

Wow, that actually was really good. Hopefully next episode solidifies that this is some kind of turning point.

Red Loincloth Seibei is a true man, and this episode makes it pretty clear that he's putting said loins to, uhh, pretty good use, even if some of those kids are adopted.
I knew you'd see the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom