• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Light Novels as a concept didn't even come into being until the 2000's. It really was just a classification meant to signal to people that the stuff is much simpler than a standard novel. Its basically a step removed from manga and/or cellphone novels.

Good shows based on Light Novels:

-Baccano!
-Fate/Zero
-Hyouka
-Kino's Journey
-Spice and Wolf
-Humanity Has Declined
-Toradora
-Kure-nai

That's all I can think of.

Alternatively, the worst recent trends in anime, and some of the worst, yet most popular shows have their roots in that insidious medium.

Isn't 12 kingdoms a LN , too ? because i think it deserve to be on this list .

Narag

Light Novels as a concept didn't even come into being until the 2000's. It really was just a classification meant to signal to people that the stuff is much simpler than a standard novel. Its basically a step removed from manga and/or cellphone novels.

I had no idea cellphone novels were a thing.

Dresden

Basically the YA genre in the west, warts and terrible writing and all. YA has also become a content farm for movie and TV adaptations, and very occasionally, there's some good here and there.

Jintor

I really want to learn Japanese to discover if LNs are inherently terrible or it's just the translations that are terrible.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Light Novels are basically the next step up from fan fiction.

In the majority of cases, I'd rather read fanfiction than Light Novels because at least the terrible ones are humorously terrible.

I remember learning of their existence in an anime but I can't even remember what show it was now.

zeroshiki

I really want to learn Japanese to discover if LNs are inherently terrible or it's just the translations that are terrible.

Well, not that I'm an expert or anything but alot of them are at their core very shallow and trite. Fan translations just exacerbate the whole thing with mistranslations, poor vocabulary and shitty grammar.

I tried reading the Haganai LN and it bored me because it really did feel like an anime episode in text form. The other ones I've read (Bungaku Shoujo, Maria-sama ga Miteru) have been pretty good.

They are and its as bad as what you're imagining.

Jintor

How well-written can something like Oreimo or Infinite Stratos really be?

My primary exposure was the Haruhi LNs which i read the fan-translations of and the Toradora ones which I glanced through. Frankly, the Haruhi LNs I think are decent (the official translations anyway) but could be better if you gave them to a better rewriter (
i.e. me
).

The thing I like about LNs (and other pulp-level literature) is that it makes me think even I could write something that might one day sell to people who would buy it for money.

Narag

My primary exposure was the Haruhi LNs which i read the fan-translations of and the Toradora ones which I glanced through. Frankly, the Haruhi LNs I think are decent (the official translations anyway) but could be better if you gave them to a better rewriter (
i.e. me
).

The thing I like about LNs (and other pulp-level literature) is that it makes me think even I could write something that might one day sell to people who would buy it for money.

Break into that YA market and retire young.

For some reason I typed die young initially which makes me think I'm either tired or I have some sort of subconscious grudge against you. Perhaps both.

zeroshiki

This is one thing I don't like about the internet revolution. Everyone gets a voice! There's a reason stuff don't get published. While the publishing world has its faults, alot of the stuff that do get rejected are just not good.

Have any been adapted into anime?

Vampire Knight? Its pretty awful.

Jintor

Break into that YA market and retire young.

For some reason I typed die young initially which makes me think I'm either tired or I have some sort of subconscious grudge against you. Perhaps both.

Awww, i wuv you too narag.

This is one thing I don't like about the internet revolution. Everyone gets a voice! There's a reason stuff don't get published. While the publishing world has its faults, alot of the stuff that do get rejected are just not good.

Sturgeon's Law is in full effect everywhere!

wonzo

Banned
I can't even begin to imagine just how bad something would have to be to get rejected given some of the shit that gets published nowadays.

Narag

I can't wait until my self published novel turns out to be the most poorly written thing ever.

Get friends to read it and give you criticism, get someone to proofread it, and you'll be a leg up on so many others out there.

I've read enough fanfiction.net stories and self published book teardowns to last me ten lifetimes. What I need is something even worse than the above.

You can apparently get wonzo to help too, cosmic.

CorvoSol

Rin-Ne no Lagrange S2 10

Weeeee-heeeell. That got out of hand quick. I knew Moid was up to nothing good. You can only sit there with a Brock face for so long before SOMETHING comes out about you.

Holy heck, though. Bro is CRAAAAZY.

Waaaaaah. Just as I was starting to like Google Video!

Jintor

I would love to know the percentage of writers who plot out everything intricately beforehand vs the seat-of-their-pants writers who just trial-by-fire everything

cajunator

Banned
Both movies were awful.

Koizora is super famous though.

Never said they were any good!

GJ-bu 09

TLu6SOn.jpg
SLCvzZI.jpg

Your weekly dose of hair brushing and fetish play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom