• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Friends aren't really readers, so they probably wouldn't give a good critique. Relatives are reading it, though.

You'll be fine then. I bought one kindle daily deal because i thought the premise sounded interesting. I don't even think the thing had been proofread. All sorts of typos, grammatical errors, etc. Doesn't help it was dumb as shit either.

Dresden

I've read enough fanfiction.net stories and self published book teardowns to last me ten lifetimes. What I need is something even worse than the above.

Sounds like 'urban fantasy' is the thing you're looking for.

She’s a Lollipop Doll, one of a gang of girls who take their manga and anime a little too seriously. They all want to grow up to be Sailor Moon and Cherry had the magical skill to do it. Last time I saw her, she was in High Gothic Lolita drag, radiating rough sex and looking all of twelve years old.
I put in Cherry Moon’s name and get a link to a Web site. Click on the link and there she is, in perfect Sailor Moon drag, a rhinestoned cell phone in one hand and a pink teddy bear backpack in the other. She looks even younger than she did before I went Downtown. When I left, she could pass for twelve or thirteen. Now she looks like she’s eleven, tops.
I click the enter button and go to her site. It’s the same thing inside. A pretty little girl’s pretty little diary, full of gossip about her cool friends and the neat things they do together. Plus pages and pages of pictures of her in maybe a hundred different Gothic Lolita outfits, everything from Shirley Temple pinafores to pirates to a kimono-clad vampire with fake fangs. It’s a pretty convincing little girl’s site, only Cherry is about my age. If I didn’t know her better and know that this was all an act, I’d think she was retarded.
One of the Lolitas walks over to me. She barely comes up to my chest.

What comes out of this mouth of Lolita in a pink ball gown and yellow ribbons isn’t a cartoon squeak, but the voice of a thirtysomething bar chick who’s had too many late nights and smoked too many un-filtered Luckies
I’ve never been chewed out by a fourth grader before. It’s all I can do to keep from laughing. She must see it in my face because the next thing I know, she’s snapped out a white furry-handled tanto knife and is pressing it under my chin hard enough to break the skin.

Narag

:lol I'd read that on a friend's recommendation. Didn't think it was too bad but it was so urban fantasy it hurt as it hit the usual notes (that I've seen) of brooding protags, everyone being too clever or witty, and so on. Most interesting part was the end in the author's bio where I found out he was a fetish photographer or something complete with an online gallery.

Branduil

She’s a Lollipop Doll, one of a gang of girls who take their manga and anime a little too seriously. They all want to grow up to be Sailor Moon and Cherry had the magical skill to do it. Last time I saw her, she was in High Gothic Lolita drag, radiating rough sex and looking all of twelve years old.
i9HmsNOdhrqml.jpg

Dresden

I forgot about Stormdancer for weeaboo-related bludgeonry.

"That is more than fair." [...] "Ameterasu bless your kindness, sama."
"I want for nothing. Thank you, sama."
"He slew Boukyaku, young sama. The sea dragon who consumed the island of Takaiyama."
"Honor to you, great sama."
"What is Raijin song, sama?"
"Forgiveness, sama."
"Apologies, sama."

"These cloudwalkers were men of the kitsune clan, hai?"
"I have no doubt of your success. The man who stood beside my father as he slew the last nagaraja of Shima will not be trouble by a simple thunder tiger, hai?"
"You must keep it secret." [...] "It is a gift, hai, but it is not one to be squandered..."
"The solitude is pleasant, hai?"
"I can get into the trees, hai."
"Just deck-hands on a sky-ship, hai?"
"Sama, please. Enough for one day, hai?"

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That's it, I quit reading forever.

let's forget that I haven't read a book for pleasure in years

Kagami

Friends Club RAGE
u8FyDIsl.jpg

This show is slowly entering SAO territory for me. I mean, it's as asinine as OreShura, but the self-awareness is not doing it any favours... because that means the author is aware that it's all bullshit but refuses to do anything about it because he needs to pimp more books. That's not honesty, that's veiled contempt for the audience on the scale of Kawahara.
Man, you gotta let go and accept this is an episodic sitcom, not a dynamically progressing love story. :p

Branduil

LOL this is almost as good.

I couldn’t fabricate a plausible lie on the spot, so I told her a part of the truth. “It was about this sword, actually,” I said, jerking my thumb back to the hilt. “Da stole it from him long ago, but in a way it’s more like he brought it home. It’s an Irish sword, you know, but this bloke had it in his private collection, and it didn’t seem right, him being British and all.”

“He’s British?”

“Aye.” I felt ashamed for pushing the widow’s buttons like this, but I couldn’t afford to keep talking all night with a decapitated body in the street. Her husband had been in the Provos during the Troubles and was killed by the UVF, whom the widow had always assumed, rightly or not, to be puppets of the British.

“Ah, well then ye can bury the bastard in me backyard, and God damn the queen and all her hellish minions.”

“Amen,” I said, “and thank you.”

“Not at all, me boy,” the widow said, and then she laughed. “Ye know what me Sean used to say, God rest his soul? He said, ‘A friend will help ye move, Katie, but a really good friend will help ye move a body.’ ” She cackled hoarsely and clapped her hands together. “Not that I can help ye move a big bugger like that. D’ye know where the shovel is?”

For those of you wondering about Fairy Tail going away:

Fairy Tail manga creator Hiro Mashima noted on Thursday that although this week's issue of Kodansha's Weekly Shōnen Magazine said that the anime is ending, "it's actually not over yet. I can't say more than this, but I hope you watch the rerun starting in April and wait for the day I can announce some good news." He added in English, "Anime is not the end. Don't stop believing."

Source

That's it, I quit reading forever.

let's forget that I haven't read a book for pleasure in years

I'm pretty much the same. I mean, I forced myself through a few recently, but they weren't fun. In fact, the only book I've ever liked is Ender's Game.

And this is why I'm very likely a shitty writer.

Branduil

I'm pretty much the same. I mean, I forced myself through a few recently, but they weren't fun. In fact, the only book I've ever liked is Ender's Game.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to write books if you don't like reading them?

Reading is so much fun for me, I can't understand you guys. I would be so sad wihtout my books.

zeroshiki

Not reading books shouldn't be some kind of badge of honor, guys. It should be met with sheepishness and some kind of vague promise to work on reading more.

Dresden

Eh, reading isn't some intrinsically valuable activity that makes you a better person or something. That's sewing or poker.

zeroshiki

Eh, reading isn't some intrinsically valuable activity that makes you a better person or something. That's sewing or poker.

Reading has been endowing people with the ability to be snooty to others since the middle ages. By god, I won't sit back and let it stop now.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to write books if you don't like reading them?

I guess I just have trouble visualizing other people's made up worlds, yet when it comes to my own, they're really vivid and I just feel the need to put them down on paper even if it's pointless.

Damn, that must sound arrogant as hell. I don't know, there's probably more to it than that. I did originally want to write for visual mediums, but I just kind of hovered over to novels since that's something I can do on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom