• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

Years ago I basically dismissed anything they produced out of hand because of THE MOE. I'm definitely planning a KyoAnithon some time this year
minus the Keyshit of course

I think Nichijou and Fumoffu are all you're missing, in all honesty. And of course K-on!, but I think I read you saying somewhere that it's not for you so hey.

Well, that confirms it. The best a LN show can hope to be is "Ok". Let's just use that as a new rule, haha.

Wasn't LOGH a LN? (I've never watched LOGH but it seems to be the go-to universally acclaimed show)

zeroshiki

Well, that confirms it. The best a LN show can hope to be is "Ok". Let's just use that as a new rule, haha.

Vampire Hunter D is retroactively considered one of the earliest examples of a LN :p

Wasn't LOGH a LN? (I've never watched LOGH but it seems to be the go-to universally acclaimed show)

There wasn't a concept of a LN when it first came out. Its considered a SF novel.

Branduil

Hyouka started as a LN, stopped and then restarted under a non-LN imprint. That's all there is to it.

And thus was born the legend of fat Mayaka.

iHZJ28b6WQraA.jpg

There should be a light novel about someone trying to make it big by writing a light novel and hoping it gets an anime adaptation, which would then also get an anime adaptation. It's like the worst anime of all time writing itself.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
There should be a light novel about someone trying to make it big by writing a light novel and hoping it gets an anime adaptation, which would then also get an anime adaptation. It's like the worst anime of all time writing itself.

Hackuman

wonzo

Banned
So basically a more metab version of that one episode of OreImo.

Branduil

Good shows based on Light Novels:

-Baccano!
-Fate/Zero
-Hyouka
-Kino's Journey
-Spice and Wolf
-Humanity Has Declined
-Toradora
-Kure-nai

That's all I can think of.

Alternatively, the worst recent trends in anime, and some of the worst, yet most popular shows have their roots in that insidious medium.

Narag

-Baccano!
-Fate/Zero
-Hyouka
-Kino's Journey
-Spice and Wolf
-Humanity Has Declined
-Toradora
-Kure-nai

Alternatively, the worst recent trends in anime, and some of the worst, yet most popular shows have their roots in that insidious medium.

Think Moribito and Saiunkoku Monogatari were based off LNs too. Thought Fate/Zero was considered actual novels rather than LN but might be thinking of something else.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
-Durarara
-Welcome to the NHK
-Bakemonogatari
-Katanagatari

And I guess Moribito counts.

(dont care who gets mad at this addon list)

CorvoSol

Gao Gai Gar 14

So, something really awesome here is that the entire team worked together to achieve victory. Yeah, Gao Gai Gar was the star, but at the same time, Volfog got plenty of attention, and Choryujin delivered a much needed blow.

Americans are jerks.

Oh, and BIG VOLFOG! SHOWTIME! vs. a Zaku.

zeroshiki

Added it to my backlog list so I don't forget. I'll look into it when I get some more free time.

Well, if you're actually receptive of show suggestions, you should also watch the Bungaku Shoujo movie :p Its a great light novel series and the movie is not bad.

Tamako Market 9

The anime just always feels just out of focus and all over the place. Why cant they concentrate on one idea and just do that that instead of a random assortment of boring issues that fail to be in anyway engaging or enjoyable. Mochizou's birthday was the most compelling aspect of the episode and its conclusion delivered becoming one of his most memorable moments thus far. The story with the insert song should have covered much more screentime as that character is far more intriguing than Anko or even Tamako. Outside of things dealing with Mochizou, it was just a pretty dull and lackluster episode

Instro

-Baccano!
-Fate/Zero
-Hyouka
-Kino's Journey
-Spice and Wolf
-Humanity Has Declined
-Toradora
-Kure-nai

Full Metal Panic

Narag

Well, if you're actually receptive of show suggestions, you should also watch the Bungaku Shoujo movie :p Its a great light novel series and the movie is not bad.

Noted! I'm generally open to suggestions such that I can broaden my experience with the medium. Also helps me see how my tastes align with other posters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamako Market 9

The anime just always feels just out of focus and all over the place. Why cant they concentrate on one idea and just do that that instead of a random assortment of boring issues that fail to be in anyway engaging or enjoyable. Mochizou's birthday was the most compelling aspect of the episode and its conclusion delivered becoming one of his most memorable moments thus far. The story with the insert song shoudl have covered much more screentime as that character is far more intriguing than Anko or even Tamako. Outside of things dealiing with Mochizou it was just a pretty dull and lack luster episode

Are you kidding me? The song was set up in the very first episode. The first episode! What more do you want?

---
Anyway, let's talk about crappy anime:

GJ-bu 9
tIasoLil.jpg

Hey look, it's a new girl!
Gotta rely on the whole sexy crossdressing joke at least once I suppose. And then a hair brushing gag.

Seitokai no Ichizon 8
8YRS5cUl.jpg

zJSrpSil.jpg

So the show/manga/whatever decided to call out the guy for his "harem plan", but somehow he twists it in a way to make "all the girls happy" honorable. And of course, when the girls all meet up, they become friends anyway so his "I'll make all girls happy" plan can continue!

I suppose I should commend it for getting as close to School Days as you can in 2013 anime.

Instro

Tamako 9

It's really compelling to see so many simple elements combine in such an elegant way, its been pretty common with this show so far and this episode really highlights that aspect. Very beautiful and enjoyable episode, getting a character piece on the father was unexpected and ended up being one of the best sections of the show so far.

Tamako Market 9

i1AlqzyHxmRhf.jpg

I didn't know being adorable was hereditary.

Really great episode, it showed off a side of Tamako's dad that I really wasn't expecting and it was absolutely sweet and heart warming.
I'm surprised they solved the song "mystery" this early. It seemed like it would be something amazing left until the very last episode. Oh well, I like how it was executed.

cajunator

Banned
Tamako Market 9

Really great episode, it showed off a side of Tamako's dad that I really wasn't expecting and it was absolutely sweet and heart warming.
I'm surprised they solved the song "mystery" this early. It seemed like it would be something amazing left until the very last episode. Oh well, I like how it was executed.

just about everything in Tamako Market is adorable.

CorvoSol

GTO 10

One of the best parts of this show, I think, is seeing Onizuka befriend the kids. Like, in this episode he takes on Tomoko, who is a little bit slow and has the lowest self esteem. She's in Junior High but plays with dolls, and Onizuka, being a super cool guy, sits down and plays with her. He goes to her parents' shop and puts in a good word for her.

This Onizuka guy is alright.

Jintor

Tamako Market 9

The anime just always feels just out of focus and all over the place. Why cant they concentrate on one idea and just do that that instead of a random assortment of boring issues that fail to be in anyway engaging or enjoyable. Mochizou's birthday was the most compelling aspect of the episode and its conclusion delivered becoming one of his most memorable moments thus far. The story with the insert song should have covered much more screentime as that character is far more intriguing than Anko or even Tamako. Outside of things dealing with Mochizou, it was just a pretty dull and lackluster episode

Tamako 9

It's really compelling to see so many simple elements combine in such an elegant way, its been pretty common with this show so far and this episode really highlights that aspect. Very beautiful and enjoyable episode, getting a character piece on the father was unexpected and ended up being one of the best sections of the show so far.

:dtl

fertygo

Gao Gai Gar 14

So, something really awesome here is that the entire team worked together to achieve victory. Yeah, Gao Gai Gar was the star, but at the same time, Volfog got plenty of attention, and Choryujin delivered a much needed blow.

Americans are jerks.

Oh, and BIG VOLFOG! SHOWTIME! vs. a Zaku.

this is the most awesome thing about GGG

They working together to kick enemy ass, the development team behind them always giving support too.. Its just make you feel want to cheer them.

I'm into Final episode 3 now.... all dat sakuga but its lacking HEART and energy that TV series have, maybe thing will improve but so far its disappoint me.

Shergal

Hyouka 9 (Rewatch)

I think this whole arc can be better enjoyed all at once, rather than one episode at a time. This one was pretty good by itself, but the talk about what happened in the movie is not very exciting.

Nevertheless, I think it's a step up from ep 8, as expected from the lauded Naoko Yamada. We're back to the maniacal detail of the earlier episodes, and I appreciate that since it's something I really enjoy about this show. Lots of shots focusing on Eru playing with the chocolates, little props on the background or simply a close-up of a character making a gesture. It really spices up what would otherwise be a very boring episode to watch.
lDMa5sl.jpg
pPydfBb.jpg
3GSZaz0.jpg

It was also a very Yamada episode, the two latter shots and Oreki's pose are some of her more recognizable trademarks.
To complement that even more, Chiyoko Ueno, one of the best sakkans of the studio handled the episode's animation and it shows in how rich and fluid it is throughout. They really captured each of the new characters' personalities with their body language and expressions. On that, I liked the difference in their perspectives. The first guy is simply straightforward, doesn't really have a solid theory about the movie, let alone what Hongou wanted, and projects his own ignorance into her with phrases along the lines of "I'm sure she didn't think that part through".
The props guy was a total monocle, lol. I wonder if he was supposed to be totally unlikeable, because that's how he comes off. He even got angry when Mayaka denied him the chance to show off his knowledge, what the hell!
Sawakiguchi was clearly the funniest of the three, and I liked her solution too. It's nice that they had Chitanda react the strongest to hers, considering what she says at the end of the arc about disliking deaths.
ttG949O.jpg
xVl2aos.jpg

Really liked some of the expressions in the episode.
There is a more than decent amount of thought put into how the character animation falls in line with their established personalities and/or character arcs; I was reading the Kyoani comments about this episode and one guy was speaking about how they made sure to make Chitanda's movements and expressions less like her usual ojou-sama side and more informal and lax, because she gets "drunk" in the episode. This is the type of attention to detail that brings results and a major thing that ultimately makes Hyouka's cast memorable. By the end of the show, most people who had been actively following it weekly had grown very attached to the characters, and I think the effort put into making them consistently "person-like" through narratively coherent animation plays a huge part in that. It's what makes me appreciate these early episodes so much; they're the baseline from where the totally amazing second half takes off.

Narag

this is the most awesome thing about GGG

They working together to kick enemy ass, the development team behind them always giving support too.. Its just make you feel want to cheer them.

I'm into Final episode 3 now.... all dat sakuga but its lacking HEART and energy that TV series have, maybe thing will improve but so far its disappoint me.

I like Final but Gai is sort of flanderized into COURAGE even though his character was pretty good in the tv series, the show blows its load with episode 2
Gai vs Mamoru is such a godly fight
, and it ultimately suffers from the same weird pacing of the tv series. The few highs are as high as can be but there's a lot of downtime between them that drags it down.

As to your original point, I remember being floored when they took the stock final fusion animation and added the extra stuff of the GGG folk piloting the Gao machines when the power was out for manual final fusion. Seemed like the show was handled with a lot of care. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BndA6AzEtDM

fertygo

I like Final but Gai is sort of flanderized into COURAGE even though his character was pretty good in the tv series, the show blows its load with episode 2
Gai vs Mamoru is such a godly fight
, and it ultimately suffers from the same weird pacing of the tv series. The few highs are as high as can be but there's a lot of downtime between them that drags it down.

That sounds disappointing :(
The TV series have beautiful ending

You right the pacing of OVA are weird, some of them feel like "welp, this feel like episode 20 of normal tv pacing"

Guess I just keep watching for GaoGaiGar final form and giant ass
Goldion Hammer

Yeah, that eps 2 was godly.

7Th

-Baccano!
-Fate/Zero
-Hyouka
-Kino's Journey
-Spice and Wolf
-Humanity Has Declined
-Toradora
-Kure-nai

Hyouka isn't classified as a Light Novel.

Think Moribito and Saiunkoku Monogatari were based off LNs too. Thought Fate/Zero was considered actual novels rather than LN but might be thinking of something else.

Moribito is also not considered a Light Novel.

Branduil

The classification reeks of marketing bullshit. There isn't any hard delineation of the supposed genre, just what some publishers label a segment of their output.

It's obviously marketing, it basically seems to be self-labeling to say "otaku please buy me."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom