• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
fuuuuuuck @ the hair in ZeXal. Whoever's responsible for character design now just doesn't grasp the method to Takahashi Kazuki's madness.

Don't they just make up the rules to the game as they go anyway in Yugioh?

Only in the Duelist Kingdom arc, which was the very first in the original Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters. The rules are kind of sketchy with stuff like the Egyptian God Cards in later arcs but for the most part actual rules are followed.

I'd really be interested to know how the ZeXal kid beats secretly swapping your soul out with the soul of the best duelist in the history of mankind.

Already mentioned but here's a visual representation:

LyUMpWK.jpg
Tso8Vwp.jpg

uAbDAG6.jpg
oc3zDgY.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aoi Hana / Sweet Blue Flowers 1-3

http://www.abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2013-03-08-12btupb.png

One thing I really like about this show is that its not filled with comedy or disguising the character's sexualities. They're obviously lesbians and that's great. On the downside the show seems pretty mellow with very little sense of drama. But it's Takako Shimura and she can do no wrong. Nothing wrong with some nice simple girls love every now and again.

Come back when you finish the series and you and I and haly can have a bitch fest about Aoi Hana and Shimura. lol

CorvoSol

Gundam 00 12

"I cannot become a Gundam."

BWAHAHAHAHA. I'm sorry, whoever it is that asked me why I didn't like Setsuna when I love Heero and Sousuke. He might be functionally similar, but good grief you never heard Heero or Sousuke say crap like this. BAHAHAHA. OF COURSE YOU CAN'T BECOME A GUNDAM YOU DOLT.

Also, this entire episode was basically if a teenage me had scripted the Arab Springs and I'd gotten all of my dialogue from GAF threads about it. "When religious devotion goes too far, this is the inevitable result!" Tee hee.

And furthermore, the whole episode felt like a shittier version of the winds of the homeland arc from FMP!, what with the depressing return to the homeland in the middle east, the Gauron figure raisin' heck, and the traumatic flashbacks.

Setsuna F. Seiei is the worst Sousuke Sagara ever.

cajunator

Banned
Heartcatch Precure 03

OK. This show is FUCKING ADORABLE.

I'm really enjoying this a lot already. The character designs really fit the style and make the show quite lively. I loved the art style of futari Wa Precure but I appreciate that Precure is not afraid to try different styles and ideas. Desertrians > Zakenna >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Akanbe.
I also think I can see why Regulus loves Erika so much. she is perfect.
Also was that another future Precure? Nobody confirm or deny I'm just wondering out loud.
One more thing. The soundtrack in this show is ABSOLUTELY GLORIOUS.

Ultimadrago

Windy Tales 9

I love how Nao casually speaks about
her father breaking his leg
before talking about her first motorcycle ride. Ha! It was another good episode, as expected. It's the first time that we get some real input from Nao's parents. Her experience with her father on the motorcycle even
helped her improve her wind control abilities.
A positive experience with a loved one while having a new perspective on scenery perhaps gave her a new appreciation for the wind.

A part of the show I haven't brought up yet that I really like are the facial expressions. The art style is novel, but along with that comes new novelties. Smiles, smirks, squints, concern and befuddlement are all portrayed very well while never being "over-the-top" or "WACKY". Of course, I find nothing wrong with those two elements inherently and they can work well to characterize a world as well (though I haven't seen it pulled off well too many times), but Windy Tales' approach makes for a real sweet spot in dialogue and interaction. It changes tones effortlessly without causing whiplash.

Nao's father
not giving up motorcycle driving initially
was quite believable. He does have his drifting doubts. However, it wouldn't be simply a
bike he would be giving up, but an emotion/feeling/experience in his lifetime.
This episode also gave us a good look at Nao's parents and it was a very satisfying one. Exploring or sharing hobbies and new experiences with loved ones is potentially a satisfying portion of any relationship. Nao's father does this with Nao
and his wife
making a full circle of involvement towards the shiny investment! There's plenty of room for shared thoughts on it and even how it distanced and strengthened the family bonds.

I may have said this already, but this show is my favorite from this backlog season's selection.

CorvoSol

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 12

MASTER ASIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can now trace a lineage of Swaglords from the days of Simon back to Master Asia.

It reads as follows:

And Master Asia swaggat Domon Kasshu.
And Domon Kasshu swaggat Kamina.
And Kamina swaggat Simon.
And thus, all the days from Master Asia unto Simon the Digger were like, eight years or something.

And the Gods of Swag looked down and saw that it was good.

Syrinx

Revolutionary Girl Utena 29

So...this was a pretty major episode for Juri, and it leaves me wondering what role, if any, she'll play in the final 10 episodes.

During her duel with Utena, Utena cuts the pendant with the picture of Shiori off her neck, leaving the chain and pendant shattered. It appears that this was Ruka's intention all along, as he could tell that her holding onto that love for Shiori was destroying her. After this happens, Juri forfeits the duel.

So what really is going to happen with her now? It seems that she has gotten was she was looking for, and that she really doesn't need End of the World anymore. She seems at peace with herself now.

Interesting scene at the end, though. Juri is reciting a letter she's writing, presumably to Ruka, and while she says it, Shiori is following her into the school. And Juri asks who he was hoping to help by doing what he did. I'm honestly having a bit of trouble putting this part together. From what I could tell, Juri is implying that it wasn't just her Ruka was trying to help, it was also Shiori. As if Utena cutting the pendant off of Juri not only freed Juri from her clinging to Shiori, but it also freed Shiori from Juri's painful love. And that by freeing them from each other, they've thus come to a sort of peace with each other. I think what's giving me this impression is that Shiori is basically walking behind Juri at the same pace she's walking, after already catching up to her. Juri isn't really ignoring her, and Shiori isn't begging for Juri's attention...and yet they're walking together. What's kinda throwing me off is that Shiori is walking behind Juri instead of next to her. Like there is that distance between them even though there's that desire to remain close. But if that's the case, have they really been freed from each other? Maybe that's what Juri meant by "I hope those feelings reach her", implying that the what Ruka set in motion isn't complete. Possible new theory: Juri is done with Shiori, and Shiori wants to stay close to her again now that she realizes Juri isn't torturing herself over her anymore, so she follows behind Juri, hoping she'll notice her and pay mind to her. And that Juri says "I hope those feelings reach her", hoping that Shiori can come to peace herself as well.

That'll be something to talk about when I'm done, for sure.

Steroyd

Chihayafuru S2 - 09

Wow this episode had quite a bit of padding of repeating the same scenes in the second half, I understand what they were trying to convey, but it didn't half feel like a lazy episode, ending lost all impact but that might be due that they used the IT'S RAINING trope that every other anime always uses.

Ultimadrago

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team - A Battle with the Third Dimension (10 minute OVA)

For a main series not extremely focused on jam-packed action, this OVA sure is all about it. From start to finish the 08 team found in an unexpected scrimmage. It's most definitely not the most intense you've seen (not even from the particluar series). However, if 2D Sunrise mecha action is what you seek, it's here. There's even Michel writing in that old diary again!

Hey Narag, I read the first few chapters of Black Company. Stopped when I realized I didn't remember ANYTHING that I just read. I need something that's fast-paced from the beginning with a more straightforward writing style, or I won't be able to retain anything and have to reread parts multiple times.

I appreciate the recommendation though.

Ultimadrago

Windy Tales 9

That's sort of what this episode is about too, tying into larger themes about aging that have run through the entire show. When you're an adult, you can theoretically do whatever you want. But the older you get, the more entrenched you get, the more other responsibilities limit that freedom, until you're buying a motorcycle just to feel alive and capable again.

I liked how the end played out. It was cute.

Aye. As you've stated, the show has kept true to this theme more than once, especially with the elements of wind control. That takes me back to the previous episode 7 when Ryuouko speaks about taking the power seriously. It's a rather easy parallel to training hard and mastering while you're young. Mastering for the "power of good" aside, it would help the gang make the most out of their abilities in their youth while they can still enjoy it most. A complete polar opposite to Taiki's village
where male wind manipulators must risk their life while under the owning of such power

Windy Tales 9

As someone who grew up with a motorcycle obsessed dad who would go through this never ending cycle of buying a bike only to sell it a few months later, I can confirm they completely nailed the incredibly excited husband trying to convince the very annoyed wife that buying a new bike was totally the right thing to do.

Hah. I've never seen a situation like this, but I could imagine that Windy Tales did a good job showing how it'd play out. The way the characters interact simply works very well every time.

Theonik

Heartcatch Precure 03

OK. This show is FUCKING ADORABLE.

I'm really enjoying this a lot already. The character designs really fit the style and make the show quite lively. I loved the art style of futari Wa Precure but I appreciate that Precure is not afraid to try different styles and ideas. Desertrians > Zakenna >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Akanbe.
I also think I can see why Regulus loves Erika so much. she is perfect.
Also was that another future Precure? Nobody confirm or deny I'm just wondering out loud.
One more thing. The soundtrack in this show is ABSOLUTELY GLORIOUS.
You haven't heard shit yet! *Avoid titles and stuff spoilers etc.

CorvoSol

MSG 0080: The War in the Pocket 1

This show is so 80s.

GEDDIT? BECAUSE IT WAS MADE IN 1989, BUT IT IS ALSO SET IN UC 0080, AND ALSO BECAUSE IT HAS CHARACTERISTICS OF THINGS MADE IN THE 80s!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom