• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Revolutionary Girl Utena 32

Do I actually feel...sympathy for Nanami? Or is it just more disdain for her brother?

Nanami's trying to figure out what to do with herself now, what she wants, where she belongs, etc. She ends up going to see End of the World with Touga, who tries to sex her up along the way, but Nanami says no. Then she challenges Utena to a duel, and loses, and she's still stuck with these questions. Above all, she doesn't want to be just another in the swarm around her brother, which is what she had become. Though she sure loved torturing herself listening to all those girls call, begging for him.

I might be done for tonight. Maybe I'll read Sailor Moon or watch hockey or something.

Notlikethis.jpg

e_i

Wolf Children Ame and Yuki

Well, I saw the end coming but
I think Ame is kind of a dick to his mother at end. Way to respond dude. He doesn't even talk that much in the movie. I thought the mother had died in the fall, but Ame saves her, so I guess he's not that bad, but he should have said something to her at the end.

For a season that's supposedly really terrible with nothing to talk about you guys sure do still post a lot, haha...

I've gotten up to the whole Yu-Gi-Oh! conversation a few pages pack and, this is sort of a broad question I know but how does something like a Yu-Gi-Oh! tournament work in reality anyway?

Trading Card Games sort of come across as the first "Pay to Win" type of game in that someone could have a much easier time or chance of winning simply because they spent more money getting the better/more powerful cards than someone else.

Trading Card Games are expensive but usually fundable.
At high level tournaments players will not be influenced in their deck choice by the cost of the cards.
Most of the time the travel expenses will outweigh the cost of the deck you are playing.
I assume it is not very different for yugioh as anything else would be frustrating in competitive play.

e_i

Kotoura-san episode 9

I really wish
her mother would get rid of the "I'm going to rip your face off" face. Poor Moritani, couldn't save the girl--who is the girl that was in the class I think.

Vividred Operation episode 9

My HEART!
You're Himawari's bitch now, Wakaba!
Seriously, Wakaba/Himawari are very cute couple. Squeee!

Nafe

I think the only thing money would get someone is more access to cards, but still that doesnt mean they could necessarily have a well balanced deck or one that could well against the various other decks out there.

Eh, there's a lot of strategy and luck involved that extends beyond "buy more cards". Though yeah, having better cards does help. It all depends on your deck, whether you want to pursue a specific strategy or balance it out with multiple ones taking into account many situations. Some of them can be pretty deep.

Disclaimer: the only TGC I was big on in real life was the Pokemon one back in the day. I've only played a few video games of Yu-Gi-Oh and never the actual card game.

It's my understanding that legit Magic the Gathering players don't really buy much. They plot out their deck before buying anything, then basically spend some 60-70$ on booster packs and buy the individuals they need at $10 or so a pop. Then stick with that specific deck until a new generation. Cheaper than gaming, ultimately.

Trading Card Games are expensive but usually fundable.
At high level tournaments players will not be influenced in their deck choice by the cost of the cards.
Most of the time the travel expenses will outweigh the cost of the deck you are playing.

Ah, okay thanks. I suppose I maybe should have added the disclaimer in case it wasn't clear that I haven't really played any TCG. I tried Magic out quite a few years ago as it was so popular but only played a few games or matches and didn't stick with it.

I guess there's things like needing magic or whatever to summon your monsters or their special moves right? Balance makes sense then as you don't want a bunch of monsters and no magic to summon them/use their powers or have a bunch of magic with no monsters.

Having specific decks could be like having a main in a fighting game or something and maybe knowing your opponent and what kind of cards they use could allow you to pick a kind of counterdeck you made up for their general type of strategy. Okay.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
For a season that's supposedly really terrible with nothing to talk about you guys sure do still post a lot, haha...

I've gotten up to the whole Yu-Gi-Oh! conversation a few pages pack and, this is sort of a broad question I know but how does something like a Yu-Gi-Oh! tournament work in reality anyway?

Trading Card Games sort of come across as the first "Pay to Win" type of game in that someone could have a much easier time or chance of winning simply because they spent more money getting the better/more powerful cards than someone else.

A card's rarity (and, therefore, its secondary market value) is usually based primarily on its power. TCGs aren't always prohibitively expensive (I was a tournament-level Pokemon TCG player when I was a kid even though I was broke as fuck), but when I played Yu-Gi-Oh years ago it was definitely called a rich man's game. I stopped playing Yu-Gi-Oh with real cards years ago, but during my high school days, cards that could singlehandedly fuck up your opponent's entire strategy like Raigeki, Mirror Force, etc. went for far more than your average high school player could swing. I actually had a rich friend who PAID me to order him a Mirror Force off of ebay for some insane cost.

Of course, all TCGs have an element of luck, but decks that are designed so meticulously that any card can synergistically benefit from any other card in some manner are usually able to negate the influence of luck to an extent, essentially making battles about the quality of deck construction. The Yu-Gi-Oh TCG seems to strongly encourage highly-specialized deck construction these days with entire booster sets devoted to cards that all fall under a certain theme like Elemental Heroes, Gladiator Beasts, Lightsworn, Six Samurai, Ancient Gears, etc. and there are always powerful cards for each of these "themes" that are rare, expensive, and necessary for a deck based around that theme to be competitive.

I think that the thing that made me stop playing Yu-Gi-Oh once and for all was that in my freshman year in college, I spent a shitton of money making a Cyber Dragon deck which was immediately followed by a friend creating a deck whose sole purpose was to shut down my entire strategy. I should really sell all of my cards, I haven't touched them in like seven years :lol

Shergal

Hyouka 11 (Rewatch)

This episode was really great on all levels. It seems like most efforts go into the closers for each arc, since so far 5 and 11 have been the two best episodes in my book.
There's so many stuff worth talking about this time.
tZTJSEl.jpg
odmsyuJ.jpg
For starters, the very noticeable change in the color palette. For the whole episode it's grey and washed out, symbolizing Oreki's downfall pretty adequately. There's a lot of shading in the episode too, especially on Oreki's eyes; it gets progressively more intense until the scene where he's walking on the street with a pitch-black tone clouding his whole upper face. It's interesting that the shading sort of fades away at the end when he is conversing with Chitanda, gives some closure to his arc (and 11.5 will further expand on this).
This episode makes me really appreciate Chitanda. For example, both Satoshi and Mayaka just came in, beat on Oreki and went away (especially Satoshi, damn you!). Later, when Oreki hurries Chitanda to do the honors of crushing him again, she seems to get what was going on with him and instead asks him for a walk. That's a pretty nice detail, and of course her take on the mystery is the most important of all because it addresses the true problem. It's what ticks Oreki off for realizing he had been played, rather than just thinking he went full retarded and got it wrong.
The little faux interplay they had at the end was pretty neat as well. They do have a lot of chemistry together.
The "puppets" part was just wonderful. The decision to use those puppets for depicting how pitiful Oreki was feeling about himself is commendable.
Ok8jdDS.jpg
3hK7XWK.jpg

I like the contrast between these two. In his mind, depicted by the typical illusions Hyouka has us accustomed to, Oreki is the master detective, he gets the spotlight and solves the case to the backdrop of everyone's applause. But really, who is that "everyone"? The second shot tells us how Oreki was feeling about the reality of the situation at the time. He didn't give a shit about people liking his solution, because that's what not what he signed up for and he doesn't want the script to be his.
These and some other things (like the stopping of time and ambience just before this part) seem to signal his return to the shell he was in by episode 1, defeated and isolated. It's probably the only truly good thing about this whole arc, seeing him go far down and then back up in 11.5.

As for the second half, it focuses mostly on Oreki and Irisu. There was some really good storyboarding going on too, gotta praise Eisaku Kawanami for directing the episode.
OEPL8Bm.jpg

I quite liked their conversation; it was again, framed completely from the outside but this time there was no 180º switch, just build-up for Oreki's disappointment and anger, and the framing built-up in tension accordingly.
zTdfLXp.jpg

This is the shot where Oreki inquires about talent vs hard-work again, obviously speaking about him more than anything else. Considering what the rest of the episode is telling us, I find the low angle and the spotlight deliciously ironic here, and quite similar to the previous scene I mentioned.

The final scene of Irisu was pretty nice as well. We don't see her eyes, and thus we miss the expressions she was making, but the focus on her body (and lower face) convey her feelings perfectly. A stone-cold character like her probably doesn't make very expressive faces at these times, and derailing our attention to more telling tidbits of character was a good call. She probably felt a bit like an asshole after that comment from Hongou and how easily Oreki's sister figured out her true motives (which she probably wasn't comfortable with because he obscured them from her at first).

Last but not least, I can't praise the animation enough this time. Kayo Hikiyama debuted as animation director, and she did a damn great job. She's a promising youngster at Kyoani, this episode was filled with expressive faces, nuanced movement and tension thanks to her and the animators. I really liked the last part between Oreki and Chitanda, animated by Ryouhei Muta. He did a great job with Chitanda's reactions and body language (swing the hair... lol).

Hyouka seems like a show that pays special attention to the finale of the arcs, and the last episode of the show itself is also insane. Incidentally, this is the post I am most satisfied with since the one for episode 5. Maybe I can judge how much I enjoy each episode by the effort I put into writing these posts after watching?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
*sigh* I guess with everything that had gone down in the show up til that point something like that just wasn't that shocking. Maybe I'm a jaded fuck.

Now, how things are going to go resulting from this...well...maybe then meltdowns will be in order.
Maybe I'm just the Miki to your Kozue!

Articalys

Apparently this is TBS's international flyer for upcoming spring series Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. (My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected.) That's one hell of an "official" English title...

w6dNxdg.jpg

(It also confirms the show as one-cour, for what it's worth)

(via @WTK)

Lain

Psycho-Pass 20

YES! Finally I could watch Akane do what I wanted her to do for a long while: nice detective work.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Apparently this is TBS's international flyer for upcoming spring series Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. (My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected.) That's one hell of an "official" English title...

It's like some weird fusion of the OreImo and Chooney logos.

I also desperately need an "is" between Comedy and SNAFU. That's going to bug the shit out of me!

cajunator

Banned

w6dNxdg.jpg

(via @WTK)

I will watch this.

Accel World EX 02: Vacation
Who was the random girl that kept getting screentime but no speaking lines?

Since this is season 2 stuff spoiler , i'll spoiler the answer to your question.
Don't read it's Accel world S2 spoiler ( that is if another season get annonced one day )

The girl is actually ash roller IRL identity. It's complicated stuff but let's just say that she (real person) is a girl (shy personality) and the Player is a boy (ongoing and vulgar personality) the reason for this is know ( at the time of the oav , only sky raker knows about it ) and will be revealed in S2

Rofl this is strangely accurate but it seems your imagination in term of pairings hasn't surpassed the team at marvelous interractive ... they choose even better !!

Syrinx

Revolutionary Girl Utena 34

Hooooooolllllllyyyyyyy shit.

Wow. The play by the Shadow Performers left me totally feeling that Anthy was the evil character in this whole thing. I was like "Dude....." Her pleasant smile as her eyes remained closed freaked the fuck out of me while that play was going on.

But then...Utena dreams of the night she met the prince. And everything became clear. Anthy was not evil. In fact, she was even more of a tortured soul and a tragic character than I had known. She was the eternal thing that the prince showed Utena that night. She had been condemned to an eternal life of suffering and anguish as punishment for sealing away the prince who protected all of the girls. Though in reality, she was just covering for him, so he wouldn't have to go and risk his life anymore, for a bunch of people who had taken him for granted and just assumed he would be there and do the dirty work.

When Utena vowed to become a prince, it wasn't because she was so impressed by the prince she met that night. It was because she wanted to be Anthy's prince. To save her from her eternal anguish.

Man, that's it for tonight. But I'm...I can't wait to finish this series. This is something else.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How could you think to leave me out of a Shimura bitchfest?? I'm not dead, you know!
It's true! Sorry! :(

I just remember Haly being a defender
of the manga
. lol

http://i.imgur.com/w6dNxdg.jpg

(via @WTK)
God damn, that short girl looks exactly like the girl on OreShura.

Nafe

Thanks for your reply as well Mad Pierrot.

I've actually got another question pertaining to the latest episode of Tamako Market and it might be more just to jog my memory. While it might not be as aesthetically pleasing to some, I'm going to spoiler my post as a courtesy to any readers who haven't seen the episode yet as some of the details might be considered spoilers.

Okay,
I guess I was thinking more on the time frame since Tamako's mother passed away and how the song was revealed seemed a bit strange to me. It's been a plot point that Tamako was wondering about the song for some time as the record shop fellow was trying to help her find out what it was. She was humming it and so was Dera this episode, to which he replied he picked it up because he heard her hum it so many times now.

When Tamako's father heard her he told her to be quite which she was confused over. Did he never really hear her hum the song before? She seemed to be open enough about it, so you think he would have told her to stop other times he had heard her sing it and it would have come across as more of a song he appeared to not like. Maybe it happened before and I've simply forgotten.

The whole Mochi day events reminded the Dad of Tamako's mother and he started to sing the song. He never sang it again until all these years later until he heard Tamako? Again, it seemed like he would have heard her before and she would have had a chance to then hear him and find out about the song. I don't know, that part just came across as kind of strange to me with how it was done but maybe I'm forgetting something that was mentioned in an earlier episode.

Okay, so I've watched about 3 1/2 episodes of Shana II and this is awful so far. I'm pretty sure that I read that this first half is just JC Staff filler garbage, so could I just skip over this shit to get right to the good stuff again and what episode does it go back to the main story?

Lain

Mondaiji 9

Asuka entered the scene like a boss, and the fairy that sported her same pose was so cool.

So next episode is the last one? It's a bit sad. I'm going to especially miss the awesome end of episode art.

CorvoSol

GTO 13

OH MY GOSH IT'S A SPIRALING VORTEX OF CREEPY.

Okay, so, creepy slasher stalker guy who is totally planning on date raping Ms. Fuyutsuki tutors the daughter of some like, politician or something, and she makes him lick her foot. CREEPY. This is the weirdest, creepiest arc ever, man. Like, are people in Japan really this, I dunno, messed up?

Revolutionary Girl Utena 34

Hooooooolllllllyyyyyyy shit.

Wow. The play by the Shadow Performers left me totally feeling that Anthy was the evil character in this whole thing. I was like "Dude....." Her pleasant smile as her eyes remained closed freaked the fuck out of me while that play was going on.

But then...Utena dreams of the night she met the prince. And everything became clear. Anthy was not evil. In fact, she was even more of a tortured soul and a tragic character than I had known. She was the eternal thing that the prince showed Utena that night. She had been condemned to an eternal life of suffering and anguish as punishment for sealing away the prince who protected all of the girls. Though in reality, she was just covering for him, so he wouldn't have to go and risk his life anymore, for a bunch of people who had taken him for granted and just assumed he would be there and do the dirty work.

When Utena vowed to become a prince, it wasn't because she was so impressed by the prince she met that night. It was because she wanted to be Anthy's prince. To save her from her eternal anguish.

Man, that's it for tonight. But I'm...I can't wait to finish this series. This is something else.

Yeah 34 was a great episode.

CorvoSol

MSG 00 13

See, and then Setsuna is cool because he says jack all in this episode. Still some Junior High Me level writing: "Where is your God now!?" "BREAKING NEWS!" "This all happened 'cuz the UN intervened."

Narag

Hey Narag, I read the first few chapters of Black Company. Stopped when I realized I didn't remember ANYTHING that I just read. I need something that's fast-paced from the beginning with a more straightforward writing style, or I won't be able to retain anything and have to reread parts multiple times.

I appreciate the recommendation though.
It was worth a shot! If I come across anything like you described, I'll pass it along.

That's why Kaiba was so good. Yugi probably just stole his grandpa's cards.

Articalys

Oho, so that upcoming Maken-Ki OAD is going to have a a bit of a staff shakeup from the TV series. Some of the new replacements are Hiraku Kaneko (Seikon no Qwaser, Manyuu Hikenchou) as director, and Akio Takami (Upotte, Ladies vs. Butlers, Kanokon) as character designer. Oh, and the new studio is Xebec. I guess that explains why they're promoting this as having more sex appeal and fanservice than the TV series (well, besides the fact that they can get away with more on a direct-to-video thing anyway)...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Futari wa Precure Max Heart 11:

I watched this so that everything else I watch tonight will feel vastly more entertaining by comparison.

Just once I wish that the show would have one fucking lacrosse game that doesn't play out as a metaphor for whatever conflict is occurring in that episode of the show. This one was basically babby's first teamwork moral. I also don't think I've ever mentioned how amused I am at the fact that the animators are too lazy to animate the goalkeepers at all, so whenever someone scores a goal, the ball just whizzes past the immobile keeper into the net, who then looks shocked as if Goku had thrown it into the net at the speed or light or something.

This episode also made me realize that Sato's great score actually ends up working against the show more often than not because there's such a glaring disparity between the sort of profundity that the music tries to impart to events and how horribly inane and stupid said events are that it only serves to ratchet up the absurdity. If ever there was a Precure that was perfect for Takanashi, it would have been this one.

Now for this episode in TOEI QUALITY:

QqfXJyIl.jpg

Branduil

w6dNxdg.jpg

(via @WTK)

Oh boy, I can't wait
ibgbZ6aNMgG3pJ.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom