• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pokemon B/W Adventures in Unova 05

bms1RLq.jpg

It's an Eevee. It's in a team full of all the other evolved Eevee forms. It's a girl. It's given the option to evolve into something. WHAT WILL IT BE!

yami4ct

I'll never really get the Destiny hate. It was mediocre for a Gundam series. There are a lot of bad Gundam shows.

As bad as Gundam can get (00 S2+Movie, SEED+Destiny, Wing, Char's Counterattack, F91, AGE), Destiny is the worst for me. It takes the already mediocre SEED and makes it worst. It gives us one of the worst protagonists in gundam history. It takes characters who already aren't great in SEED and somehow makes them more unbelievable and annoying. It's a perfect shitstorm of bad. AGE is the only Gundam that can give it a run for its money.

JCG

The problem is that Vladivostok's promotional art is doing a poor job at visually communicating anything other than some very basic and obvious character archetypes, whereas Majestic Prince and Gargantia are at least managing to encapsulate their larger overall identities in some small way.

I won't deny that. While I'm not fully sold on either series yet, they do have slightly better premises and more effective ways of highlighting the interesting parts in the promotional material.

The last time I remember a mecha ending an episode with this shot, we ended up with Gundam SEED Destiny.

Based on the PV, I'm thinking the episode will end with the guy already in the pilot seat.

Thankfully, there also seems to be no chance of a previous protagonist suddenly hijacking the show away. Shinn wasn't a great character, but he got worse once Kira returned.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I imagine you to carry a paranoia towards unfamiliar OVAs, possibly scrubbing them cautiously before actually watching them.

Maybe it's time for some good old exposure therapy. It's been a few months since the last time I organized a weekend simul-watch anyway.

Instro

Do you remember when you were a kid and there was garbage like James Bond Jr trying to get kids interested in more "adult" movie franchises? I feel this is no different. There will be no latest effects because as they grow up, they can then consume and possibly appreciate the older stuff which didn't interest them when they were younger.

Hey shut up I liked that show as a kid.

yami4ct

Based on the PV, I'm thinking the episode will end with the guy already in the pilot seat.

Thankfully, there also seems to be no chance of a previous protagonist suddenly hijacking the show away. Shinn wasn't a great character, but he got worse once Kira returned.

Unless............Valvrave is secretly a Gundam SEED show and Kira jumps in to hijack it halfway through. It is a Sunrise show. Jesus Yamato needs his dues.

wonzo

Banned
I wasn't that big on the first season of Chihayafuru, karuta just wasn't my thing. I will check out Encouragement of Climb since it's one of those short anime.
Fair enough.

Oh and Joshiraku OAD was fucking ace, especially the second segment.
brofist

Ah what the hell, it's just 3 mins/episode, I will check it out.
Don't forget to check out the JAM PROJECT OP as it's exclusive to NicoNicoDouga.

Also the HxH 2011 anime's gonna cover the Chimera Ant arc so keep that in mind!

DiGiKerot

I'll never really get the Destiny hate. It was mediocre for a Gundam series. There are a lot of bad Gundam shows.

From my point of view, it's because Destiny started really promising, and progressively crumbled more and more under the weight of the fan-pandering as the staff clearly re-wrote and re-structured the story to appease the expectations of a certain portion of the fanbase.

The original broadcast version of the last episode, where the popular characters stomp the newcomers into a fine paste without so much as breaking into a sweat, was an absolute joke.

yami4ct

Spring Mecha Showdown IV: Let's see the robots in action!

Valrave:Eh, looks OK at best. Kind of like the beam effects. Not going to undo the hyper-serious BS the show will be probably filled with, though.

Gargantia:Dear god, the mecha designs somehow look even worse on screen. Sugita's going to have a tough time saving that.

Majestic Prince:Yay!

JCG

Spring Mecha Showdown IV: Let's see the robots in action!

Valvrave: Not too bad, at least in that shot, even if I'm not a fan of the green effect.
Gargantia: It's...acceptable, I guess? I'd like it more without that halo and when used on land rather than in space.
Majestic Prince: Best of the three. Really like the way Orange is handling the CGI here.

Unless............Valvrave is secretly a Gundam SEED show and Kira jumps in to hijack it halfway through. It is a Sunrise show. Jesus Yamato needs his dues.

It would be very amusing, in a twisted way, though I think taking Majestic Prince screenshots out of context will be the closest we'll ever get to that.

duckroll

Wouda thunk Gargantia would look the least shit after the PV. What a sad time we live in.

Don't be too sure, that's just the character animation and art! Honestly I think we're looking at:

Best character art in the show - Gargantia
Best mecha art in the show - Majestic Prince
Safest and most generic character and mecha art - Valvrave

wonzo

Banned
lol, I completely forgot there was a HxH anime.
I can't really blame you after the first couple of eps, lol. It's been pretty good since the Hunter Exam ended, especially the Yorknew City Arc which was fantastic. They've also done a great job with greed Island thus far too!

Kurita

I can't really blame you after the first couple of eps, lol. It's been pretty good since the Hunter Exam ended, especially the Yorknew City Arc which was fantastic. They've also done a great job with greed Island thus far too!

Hmmm... I might check the York Shin City Arc animated.
Which episodes cover it?

Narag

AKB0048 Next Stage 23

IW2Zjc4l.jpg

Cajunator on the right.

Exactly the kind of stupid I signed up for when I first started watching yet thought I'd never get. so good. Macross comparisons were apt and I definitely prefer this part of the show to the stuff like the election.

Show related in general, I think this show handles a larger cast better than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom