• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

Spring mecha showdown, who will win?!

Hiraifaces is automatically disqualified.

Gargantia has the most interesting setting/incipit, but half of the cast his naked girls so it probably going to be haremshit.

Valvrave seems to most "balanced" but considering the writing staff it's pretty much guaranteed to be a trainwreck.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
http://www.gargantia.jp/#mechanic

Gargantia has several mech designs revealed so far. Most of them are worker mechs used by the people on the city fleet. The only combat mechs shown are Chamber (Red's mech), and Striker (a more advanced mech piloted by Red's superior officer).

I'll give the show that the non-combat mechs have much more pleasing designs than the Chamber, but something something doesn't matter because 3D.

duckroll

I've never liked the look of Gargantia's impish little encephalitis mechs--even if the designs were rendered in 2D, they'd still be the weakest part of the show from an aesthetic standpoint. I don't just find them ugly, but also at odds with the overall "look" that the 2D design elements are trying to establish. The few snippets of combat we've seen are downright garish. Ultimately what I see just makes me wish that Gargantia wasn't a mecha and instead something totally different =/

You bring up an interesting point, but one which could well be playing intentionally into the design of the show. The action scenes we've seen in the trailers so far are from the opening moments of the show I believe, where humanity is at war with a mysterious alien race. It looks garish and monotonous because it is a wide space of emptiness filled with nothing but soldiers and explosion.

In direct contrast, after Red is thrown into the wormhole, he finds himself on a planet filled with endless ocean, a blue sky, and a civilization built around peace and exploration. A world where children aren't made into soldiers, and the day to day life revolves around things other than life-or-death situations.

I'm fairly sure the art direction is deliberate in this case. Which is why it's also likely to be the least "mecha" of the three shows. Since the mech is only there as a means to an end - to show the difference between the main character and this new world he finds himself in.

cajunator

Banned
My current hopes are Gargantua > Majestic Prince > Valvrave

woah, what's with the hate for Gargantua's Mech designs? They look fantastic!

I dunno. I like Gargantia's mechs.

I don't like the Fafner look of the characters in Majestic Prince and Valvrave looks kind of boring.

duckroll

Spring Mecha Showdown Round II: Key Visual Comparisons

pqEzM9q.jpg

UDYiUUB.jpg

DvAdNHT.jpg

Jex

I don't know what's more surprising - that there's going to be three mecha shows next season or that I'm not really excited by any of them.

Sorry, duckroll.

7Th

Valrave is the only one that seems to take itself seriously, so
it will easily be the worst.

The robots in all 3 look pretty bad, tho. Even beyond the CG, the designs are completely interchangeable and that's a terrible sign.

JCG

I prefer the look of the Majestic Prince mecha, but I'm not sure about the actual show. People seem to be placing a few too many bets on the comedy being good enough to carry the whole thing. I'm rather undecided on Valvrave and Gargantia too, although for different reasons.

Hiraifaces is automatically disqualified.

Gargantia has the most interesting setting/incipit, but half of the cast his naked girl so it probably be haremshit.

Valvrave seems to most "balanced" but considering the writing staff it's pretty much guaranteed to be a trainwreck.

Ah, the wonders of snap judgments and all-around pessimism. Can't say I'm super-excited myself, but that's a little too bleak of an outlook. There are easy counter-examples and counter-arguments for every one of those statements.

In the end, I'll still give the three shows their chance and see what happens.

Valrave is the only one that seems to take itself seriously...

I don't think that's quite true, especially since Gen Urobuchi is writing Gargantia after all.

cajunator

Banned
You bring up an interesting point, but one which could well be playing intentionally into the design of the show. The action scenes we've seen in the trailers so far are from the opening moments of the show I believe, where humanity is at war with a mysterious alien race. It looks garish and monotonous because it is a wide space of emptiness filled with nothing but soldiers and explosion.

In direct contrast, after Red is thrown into the wormhole, he finds himself on a planet filled with endless ocean, a blue sky, and a civilization built around peace and exploration. A world where children aren't made into soldiers, and the day to day life revolves around things other than life-or-death situations.

I'm fairly sure the art direction is deliberate in this case. Which is why it's also likely to be the least "mecha" of the three shows. Since the mech is only there as a means to an end - to show the difference between the main character and this new world he finds himself in.

Gargantia and Valvrave also have the Cute. I'm gonna stick with those.

duckroll

There's all these ugly things in front of the mecha for Prince, 2/10.

Gargantia is clearly the winner here but Team Valverave will march forward.

Valrave is the only one that seems to take itself seriously, so
it will easily be the worst.

The robots in all 3 look pretty bad, tho. Even beyond the CG, the designs are completely interchangeable and that's a terrible sign.

I think we all know there's something a little wrong with a show if no one can even get the name right! :D

yami4ct

I really like Valvrare's visual,on the one hand, but on the other it just screams "Sunrise doing another bad modern gundam-style show" to me. Something about it is so damn self serious. I expect it to have all the problems of modern gundam and end up making me sad.

MP has terrible character designs, but it looks like fun. Love the videogame style mechs. Everything should be super over the top. For a super robot, beam spam show, that should work really well if done right.

I've already posted my feelings on Gargantia's mechs. I'm not a huge fan of the character designs, either. I like all the colors of that visual, and it has Sugita and an interesting premise so I'll give it a shot.

Jex

I love the Evas, but they aren't my favorite. I'm going to commit major blasphemy to my mecha love of Gundam and say Eureka Seven (The original) probably has my favorite mecha designs.

If I a child cant draw it then it's not a good design. Incidentally, this is why designs like Getter-1 are so appealing to me. Sometimes a design is far too complicated for it's own good.

yami4ct

I prefer the look of the Majestic Prince mecha, but I'm not sure about the actual show. People seem to be placing a few too many bets on the comedy being good enough to carry the whole thing. I'm rather undecided on Valvrave and Gargantia too, although for different reasons. .

If the comedy can't carry MP, for me, I expect the insane super beam spam style action it's shown off so far will. Love that stuff when it's not in a gundam show.

7Th

If I a child cant draw it then it's not a good design. Incidentally, this is why designs like Getter-1 are so appealing to me. Sometimes a design is far too complicated for it's own good.

The best designs are the ones that look specifically designed for the setting, tone and style of the story. Designs that are so closely tied to the show that you can't see them existing outside of it.

Dresden

All the mecha talk reminded me of transfunket.

Held last Sunday at a rusted-out civic center in Asakusabashi, the event crammed over 100 dealers into an area the size of a church basement for an afternoon of human-on-bot excitement. Proceed with caution—the content is not what you'd expect of your typical BotCon. The rare toys and comics were sorely outnumbered by the Etsy-level crafts and slash fiction. If you've ever wanted a Decepticon daruma, or fantasized about Megatron and Starscream grinding gears, then you've come to the right place.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Vuvuzela looks even worse there. Genki girls in seifuku, serious-looking bishounen in imperialist military garb, and some boring pilot guy with a look of solemn dedication on his face? The last mecha to have incorporated all of these elements and still be good was, uhh.........none of them.

Vuvuzela looks even worse there. Genki girls in seifuku, serious-looking bishounen in imperialist military garb, and some boring pilot guy with a look of solemn dedication on his face? The last mecha to have incorporated all of these elements and still be good was, uhh.........none of them.

Yeah, Vavavoom looks pretty generic as hell.

Dresden

I blame Jexhius for this.

Each Autrooper is assigned a Kiss Player partner by the E.D.C. These young women serve a very important purpose. In times of crisis, a Kiss Player will kiss her Autrooper, activating a power that lets her merge with the much larger robot, bestowing upon it enhanced combat and regenerative abilities. If the merge's time limit expires, the Kiss Player is disgorged from her partner unconscious, naked and covered in viscous fluid. It is so far unknown what a voluntary separation entails.

j4PQXwL.jpg

duckroll

Spring Mecha Anime Showdown III: Characters in their natural state!
(Actually I just wanted an excuse to post screens which I think best represented the tone of each of the 3 shows from their trailers.)

Majestic Prince:
5PbHahm.jpg

Gargantia:
YntMXBN.jpg

Valvrave:
ya10nrn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom