• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

God dang you. Why did you have to bring freaking Kiss Players back into my memory? I had repressed that already.

I....guess that means this needs to be posted.

250px-LegionRape1.jpg

Its name is Legion (レギオン Region), a new species of Transformer created when the Unicron-enhanced cells of the Decepticon leader Galvatron were spread throughout Earth's atmosphere in the year 2005. Fusing with various creatures and vehicles and wearing the face of Megatron, the vicious Legion army has converged on the city of Tokyo, the site of Galvatron's catastrophic impact.
They appear to have fluid-filled organic components and enjoy the taste of sweet, sweet Kiss Player flesh. They're kind of horrible.

From http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Legion

As a TF fan, folks. This is our shame. I must share it with all.

JCG

Vuvuzela looks even worse there. Genki girls in seifuku, serious-looking bishounen in imperialist military garb, and some boring pilot guy with a look of solemn dedication on his face?

All three shows appear to have "genki girls" of some sort though...and purely in terms of visual designs, I think none of the three MC types are that interesting to look at. As for the rest...well, we've known that it's got generic elements right from the start. The question is whether or not they'll do something decent with them. It's easy to assume they won't, but the information is still lacking.

DiGiKerot

God dang you. Why did you have to bring freaking Kiss Players back into my memory? I had repressed that already.

I....guess that means this needs to be posted.

I would have been much happier living life without knowledge of the existence of paedophile Megatron, thank you very much.

JCG

The best part of mech animes, its gonna be an emotional rollercoaster.

For whatever reason, I don't see myself sympathizing too much with him. Hmm...I wonder why?

I guess he'll somehow get enough determination to pilot the robot, which is positive yet also typical, but...I can see him being the worst character in his own show.

Doesn't necessarily matter a whole lot to me though, at least as long as a few of the other characters are fine.

Spring Mecha Anime Showdown III: Characters in their natural state!
(Actually I just wanted an excuse to post screens which I think best represented the tone of each of the 3 shows from their trailers.)

Majestic Prince:
5PbHahm.jpg

Gargantia:
YntMXBN.jpg

Valvrave:
ya10nrn.jpg

Valvesale looks to be the clear worst here.

duckroll

For whatever reason, I don't see myself sympathizing too much with him. Hmm...I wonder why?

I guess he'll somehow get enough determination to pilot the robot, which is positive yet also typical, but...I can see him being the worst character in his own show.

Doesn't necessarily matter a whole lot to me though, at least as long as a few of the other characters are fine.

Hey guess what, you're absolutely right! The shot of him screaming into the air is near the start of the trailer, and the trailer ends with a shot of him sitting in the pilot seat, eyes closed, clothes covered with blood stains, and then it does a dramatic zoom on his face as he opens his eyes with DETERMINATION! Then the mech powers up and glows gold as it draws its sword! OMG THE DRAMAZ! Lol.

Shergal

Jesus Christ that MP screenshot.
I'll bet on the mecha being good, but they'll also need to take a considerable amount of screentime relative to the characters, or else it's going to be really hard watching the show.

duckroll

Jesus Christ that MP screenshot.
I'll bet on the mecha being good, but they'll also need to take a considerable amount of screentime relative to the characters, or else it's going to be really hard watching the show.

Meh. I really do like the character scenes in the trailer. It seems very energetic and funny to me. :/

Anyway, I'm sure there'll be a lot of action, after all, the animation production is credited to both Doga Kobo and Orange. If it was just a few small action scenes, they would just be credited under the normal CG credits. The last time a TV show had the CG studio sharing production credit, it was Black Rock Shooter TV, and at least 1/3 of that show was action. I'm not saying it's going to be exactly the same here, but I would imagine their contribution has to be pretty substantial to be credited side by side with the 2D animation studio.

JCG

Hey guess what, you're absolutely right! The shot of him screaming into the air is near the start of the trailer, and the trailer ends with a shot of him sitting in the pilot seat, eyes closed, clothes covered with blood stains, and then it does a dramatic zoom on his face as he opens his eyes with DETERMINATION! Then the mech powers up and glows gold as it draws its sword! OMG THE DRAMAZ! Lol.

Yup, I figured as much. It's a rather transparent form of progression, as seen in many previous mecha series. Not enough to turn me off, but not particularly interesting either.

Leaving that angle aside...the Valvrave itself does seem a bit on the super robot side, doesn't it? Not so much in terms of design, but in apparent function and power.

It's got a sword, a golden super mode, various other weapons and so on. Even if the initial drama falls flat, the action might make things more tolerable. Or so I hope.

Articalys

Yeah, I think you'll have to be well over 60 and a pretty boring person if you never heard of the Zeon Empire in Japan. LOL.
You know, it kind of makes me think -- would it be fair to say that there are any sort of "generation gaps" in Japan for anime, or would it be meaningless to use a term like that? Does a similar concept even exist?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
All three shows appear to have "genki girls" of some sort though...and purely in terms of visual designs, I think none of the three MC types are that interesting to look at. As for the rest...well, we've known that it's got generic elements right from the start. The question is whether or not they'll do something decent with them. It's easy to assume they won't, but the information is still lacking.

The problem is that Vladivostok's promotional art is doing a poor job at visually communicating anything other than some very basic and obvious character archetypes, whereas Majestic Prince and Gargantia are at least managing to encapsulate their larger overall identities in some small way--MP looks goofy and lighthearted, Gargantia looks vibrant and optimistic. MP and Gargantia aren't going to be free of anime character archetypes, but they're doing a better job of conveying beforehand that they're not totally bog-standard, either. That Volvagia art just looks stiff, and in the absence of any kind of visual context to tie the characters together, they're pretty much the only thing you can analyze in the image.

Shergal

Meh. I really do like the character scenes in the trailer. It seems very energetic and funny to me. :/

Anyway, I'm sure there'll be a lot of action, after all, the animation production is credited to both Doga Kobo and Orange. If it was just a few small action scenes, they would just be credited under the normal CG credits. The last time a TV show had the CG studio sharing production credit, it was Black Rock Shooter TV, and at least 1/3 of that show was action. I'm not saying it's going to be exactly the same here, but I would imagine their contribution has to be pretty substantial to be credited side by side with the 2D animation studio.

It could totally be funny, especially with Yoshida writing the script. I'm just really averse to the designs.

What you say about production credits gives me hope, these Orange guys are really something and a show featuring extensive displays of work by them can only be good.

wonzo

Banned
Any surprise hits from the winter season or should I just keep watching Tamako Market and Windy Tales?
wb dude

Encouragement of Climb, Chihayafuru S2 and BAKUMATSU GIJINDEN ROMAN are really the only three new series worth watching from this season.

oh and i guess the Joshiraku OAD kinda counts too

e: forgot Senyuu and its incredible OP

duckroll

You know, it kind of makes me think -- would it be fair to say that there are any sort of "generation gaps" in Japan for anime, or would it be meaningless to use a term like that? Does a similar concept even exist?

I think it does exist. Using Gundam is actually a very useful example, because it's been around for over 30 years, but there are many different versions of it catering to different generation of audiences by reinventing the nature of the franchise.

cajunator

Banned
I think it does exist. Using Gundam is actually a very useful example, because it's been around for over 30 years, but there are many different versions of it catering to different generation of audiences by reinventing the nature of the franchise.

What audience does Gundam AGE cater to?

yami4ct

There is at least one kid out there who's perception of Gundam has been completely created and colored by Gundam AGE. I'm not sure how to live with that.

duckroll

What audience does Gundam AGE cater to?

It was designed to appeal to the youngest consumer demographic who like childish looking characters and toy-like designs with monster elements. Similar to shows like Digimon, Beyblade, Little Battlers, etc. The toys were also less about model building and more about gimmicks and interaction. They thought it could be a big media-mix hit. The kids didn't bite because they were already happy with stuff they're familiar with, and Gundam means less to them as a brand because they're well... kids. At least that's how I see the situation. So that shows there is indeed a generation gap.

There is at least one kid out there who's perception of Gundam has been completely created and colored by Gundam AGE. I'm not sure how to live with that.

Do you remember when you were a kid and there was garbage like James Bond Jr trying to get kids interested in more "adult" movie franchises? I feel this is no different. There will be no latest effects because as they grow up, they can then consume and possibly appreciate the older stuff which didn't interest them when they were younger.

Mature

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 1
So I've seen the first maybe... 10 or so episodes some 6 or 7 years ago. But now being at a point where I can kind of respect it more, this is an extremely solid first episode.

There's just a hell of a lot to digest, but the way it's written makes it so simple. There's not these long Urobuchi-esq expositions of how Nerv came to be or why the angels exist (or why a child needs to pilot a robot in the first place), it's all tucked away within personal conversation. Sometimes it's brilliant not to fill in the blanks. It leaves the audience slobbering for more. That's not to say it wont exist at some point in the show, but for a first episode this is very approachable. Shinji's reactions seemed pretty raw. I'd rather have a character who can repeat out loud to themselves that they must'nt run away than one that just represses himself to the detriment of those around. I don't remember disliking him the first time I saw him and that hasn't changed now. Though, again, first episode. Plenty of time for that to change.

The art and animation in here is, in a way, just wholesome to look at. The finer detail on the small things paint a grander picture of this sweeping scenario around them. It's something I recognize from other Gainax productions and one of their finer qualities. You can tell that the creative effort behind this had a pension to pay to this genre. The smaller bits of sci-fi and techno phraseology sprinkled throughout shows the title belongs to it's own fans. It's exciting, in a way. Like getting a postcard of a place you're about to visit.

So far so good. Onward and upward.

Narag

Jojo 22

GtUnxCBl.png

Not even going to put this in quote tags to better expose people to this pain. Also future wonzo av.

Didn't even mind the CG as it was visually consistent with the show's usual ugly as seen above. Cut where he vaults with the hammer was friggin' awesome though as was the one where Wham emerged from the horse. Fight resolution was so fucking good, worthy of best thing ever status.

survivor

Banned
Cuticle Detective Inaba and Hakkenden.
Detective show looks interesting, I will trust you on that one, DTL

I'm afraid that what you saw was what you got.
Here is a hoping the next season is better

wb dude

Encouragement of Climb, Chihayafuru S2 and BAKUMATSU GIJINDEN ROMAN are really the only three new series worth watching from this season.

oh and i guess the Joshiraku OAD kinda counts too
I wasn't that big on the first season of Chihayafuru, karuta just wasn't my thing. I will check out Encouragement of Climb since it's one of those short anime.

Oh and Joshiraku OAD was fucking ace, especially the second segment.

Ah what the hell, it's just 3 mins/episode, I will check it out.

Thanks for the help folks.

Narag

Is there anything you hate?

Apocalypse Zero
Gundam 00: A Wakening of the Trailbazer
Eiken
Yami whatever

Once upon a time Infinite Stratos was on that list but now I dream of a second season. Nowadays? It is precious to me, though I buy it with great pain.

Apocalypse Zero
Gundam 00: A Wakening of the Trailbazer
Eiken
Yami whatever

Once upon a time Infinite Stratos was on that list but now I dream of a second season. Nowadays? It is precious to me, though I buy it with great pain.

One day I will find someone who loves Eiken like me, and it will be the best day ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom