• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The art is angel Beats isnt very good but thats not the point. the point is I enjoyed that ugly show for different reasons than the artwork. Like simoun is butt fucking ugly to look at but I enjoyed it immensely for the characters and story in it. Theres more than one way to enjoy a work. there are different levels to enjoy a work.

It isn't very good, but it isn't bad. It's average level.

Plus, as I said, it was funny, which is what is expcted of a comedy. Therefore the show was good.

Are you seriously shtting on Ume Aoki's impeccable art?

I am trying to find a better answer than "lol". I can't.

wonzo

Banned
I get that the others might have been afraid to speak up because she was an upperclassman but the whole thing was framed as some kind of great debate about manga quality and I was sitting there confused. There's absolutely no question which side is correct. To take the other side is taking forced "objectivity" to an absurd level.
And yet we have the same debate in almost every single thread. Funny that.

I miss wonzo's old Angel Beats avatar.
I might just bring it back when I start watching Angel Beats again...
for the third time.

zeroshiki

Angel Beats is bad, guys. The art is bad, the animation is bad, the story is bad and it has that goddamn spotlight coming out of inside everyone's clothes.

Jintor

I got it wrong again, ugh, the arc I was thinking of was the eighth child arc of Adventure. With Myotismon. It was the premier of Angewoman as well. Very few shows stick out like that moment has done to me. Part of it is because they aired it in like two large marathons. It was made out to be a huge event and that was awesome.

Yeah, man, that's the Tokyo Arc I was originally talking about! :D

Branduil

Anti-intellectual really isn't the appropriate term to use here.

What's a better term for stop-trying-to-say-some-things-are-better-than-others?

You should really watch Humanity Has Declined, a Seiji Kishi show that

a) is actually funny(for the most part)

b) isn't an aesthetic nightmare from which I can never wake

iM02EzZwLdMy7.jpg

iTNHpAX7p2Wzy.jpg

yami4ct

Yeah, man, that's the Tokyo Arc I was originally talking about! :D

Yeah, that arc is AMAZING. Legitimately one of the best kid show anime arcs of all time.

Also, it had a ton of Satan and 666 references that somehow made it through 90's kids TV censorship. How cool is that?

Branduil

Yeah, that arc is AMAZING. Legitimately one of the best kid show anime arcs of all time.

Also, it had a ton of Satan and 666 references that somehow made it through 90's kids TV censorship. How cool is that?

It also somehow talked about divorce on both Japanese and American kid's television.

yami4ct

It also somehow talked about divorce on both Japanese and American kid's television.

Yep. That arc just had some really cool themes that even as I kid I had fun thinking about. Well 'cool' and 'fun' are the wrong terms, but you get my point.

Like I said before, the way Fox Kids made it a huge event was just awesome. Even now, they rarely do that on kids shows. You don't see them hype up an awesome arc and than play it back to back to back over a couple weekends. It was so cool.

Articalys

I haven't watched a Digimon anything in years -- I know I watched the first three and liked them, then either got bored of it or grew out of the target age range or just never bothered with the fourth series onward or something. I have no idea what season they're even up to now.

Berserk - Golden Age Chapter II - The Capture of Doldrey

Sooo gooood! <3 Berserk. I really hope they will continue with this project beyond The Golden Age arc. Can't wait for the next movie.

They've gotten better with the CGI tech they are using, it definitely makes the big battles more alive.

CorvoSol

Rinne no Lagrange 1

So, aside from my stated complaint, I thought this looked to be a pretty promising show. It obviously has NO compunctions with showing me Madoka's butt, having pants the girl like, four times in one episode (once by her own sister?), but I like the cut of Madoka's jib. She's an upbeat character, and hopefully I don't have to listen to her scream every twenty seconds the way Flit, Asemu, and Kio did. She seems hotblooded, even. The show seems to have a very light hearted feel, and where Rah Xephon sits on its ass posturing pretentiously in the hopes of being the next Evangelion, Rinne seems to basically flip off the idea of explanations to instead, you know, tell a story.

Safe to say that it is the best not- MSG mecha I'm watching atm.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
What's a better term for stop-trying-to-say-some-things-are-better-than-others?
Communist.

Haha, ok, maybe artistic egalitarianism, but "anti-intellectualism" is an actual thing and it doesn't have to do with this subject. From what I can tell Pizzaroll just coopted it to inflate his own ego.

I haven't watched a Digimon anything in years -- I know I watched the first three and liked them, then either got bored of it or just never bothered with the fourth series onward or something. I have no idea what season they're even up to now.

Digimon ended with Savers. Everything else afterwards is nothing but a mere imitation.

Thoraxes

Rinne no Lagrange 1

So, aside from my stated complaint, I thought this looked to be a pretty promising show. It obviously has NO compunctions with showing me Madoka's butt, having pants the girl like, four times in one episode (once by her own sister?), but I like the cut of Madoka's jib. She's an upbeat character, and hopefully I don't have to listen to her scream every twenty seconds the way Flit, Asemu, and Kio did. She seems hotblooded, even. The show seems to have a very light hearted feel, and where Rah Xephon sits on its ass posturing pretentiously in the hopes of being the next Evangelion, Rinne seems to basically flip off the idea of explanations to instead, you know, tell a story.

Welcome bro. It's a fun show.

I haven't watched a Digimon anything in years -- I know I watched the first three and liked them, then either got bored of it or grew out of the target age range or just never bothered with the fourth series onward or something. I have no idea what season they're even up to now.

The fifth series, Savers, is highly worth watching. The sixth, Xros Wars, starts out slow but picks up quite a bit in its second half.

The seventh series, Xros Wars The Young Hunters Who Leapt Through Time, should be avoided like the plague.

Rinne no Lagrange 1

Cousin.

Narag

Gundam AGE 26

YEUM4ZCl.jpg

Yeah, it's from 00 but so what? It's how I feel right now!
I knew Woolf's death was coming because the god damn OP tipped me off a few eps back. Gruesome death too which is just a twist of the knife. Yet another spark of life from Flit albeit a brief one as Woolf's faded and once again it's tied to his time on the Diva when younger. I feel bad for Asemu at this point. His best friend betrayed him, his father doesn't particularly care for him past fulfilling the Asuno family role (which kills me given how happy he and Flit look together when younger in the ED), and now he's lost his current paternal figure. I wouldn't call him the best character but he's certainly the most complex so far as he's being weighed down by expectations, trying to live up to his father's impossible life, and reconciling stuff internally involving Zeheart. Shit sucks but it's what one signs up for when watching something Gundam.

yami4ct

Gundam AGE 26

I knew Woolf's death was coming because the god damn OP tipped me off a few eps back. Gruesome death too which is just a twist of the knife. Yet another spark of life from Flit albeit a brief one as Woolf's faded and once again it's tied to his time on the Diva when younger. I feel bad for Asemu at this point. His best friend betrayed him, his father doesn't particularly care for him past fulfilling the Asuno family role (which kills me given how happy he and Flit look together when younger in the ED), and now he's lost his current paternal figure. I wouldn't call him the best character but he's certainly the most complex so far as he's being weighed down by expectations, trying to live up to his father's impossible life, and reconciling stuff internally involving Zeheart. Shit sucks but it's what one signs up for when watching something Gundam.

Ah, good times. I remember when AGE had promise. When it looked like the stank of the first part of the show had been all but washed away. Things were looking up. If they could have kept that up, if they could have stuck the landing. *sigh*. Still, I will say Part 2 is legitimately good and Woolf is an awesome gundam Super Pilot.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Communist.

Haha, ok, maybe artistic egalitarianism, but "anti-intellectualism" is an actual thing and it doesn't have to do with this subject. From what I can tell Pizzaroll just coopted it to inflate his own ego.
I'm pretty sure artistic criticism and the things that surround it would fall under the subject, no?

But sure, paint caricatures of me. You're falling back to your old ways.

Sadsic

hey can you guys recommend me some really fucking depressing anime? i just watched all of Now and Then, Here and There and it wasnt enough for me. dont say Grave of the Fireflies either, thats too obvious

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm pretty sure artistic criticism and the things that surround it would fall under the subject, no?
It helps to know what things mean.

hey can you guys recommend me some really fucking depressing anime? i just watched all of Now and Then, Here and There and it wasnt enough for me. dont say Grave of the Fireflies either, thats too obvious
First, why? Second, Violinist of Hameln.

yami4ct

If you haven't seen Casshern Sins, that'd be a good start.

Narag

Ah, good times. I remember when AGE had promise. When it looked like the stank of the first part of the show had been all but washed away. Things were looking up. If they could have kept that up, if they could have stuck the landing. *sigh*. Still, I will say Part 2 is legitimately good and Woolf is an awesome gundam Super Pilot.

I don't even mind the first part as it's the same old stuff but simplified. Second part is legit thus far which is a shock. Can't wait for the trainwreck from here on out, I guess, but at least I got half a good show so it wasn't a total wash.

As far as the Super Pilot thing goes, it's not what he said, but this is how I'll remember
Woolf's final words
. Gundam AGE spoiler: :lol :(

yami4ct

I don't even mind the first part as it's the same old stuff but simplified. Second part is legit thus far which is a shock. Can't wait for the trainwreck from here on out, I guess, but at least I got half a good show so it wasn't a total wash.

As far as the Super Pilot thing goes, it's not what he said, but this is how I'll remember
Woolf's final words
. Gundam AGE spoiler: :lol :(

I try to think about AGE like I think about 00, the good parts in isolation. I try to ignore anything but Season 1 of 00 and Part 2 of AGE.

Black Rock Shooter made me feel quite sad. so sad that i actually didn't finish it.

yami4ct

The ToonamiGAF watch of that was hilarious.
Everybody bled to death

If it weren't for that thread, I probably would have never finished that show. It was like group therapy. That show is so utterly, oppressively depressing at every turn. It's a good show, but damn does it make you hater yourself and everyone that's a part of it.

Narag

I try to think about AGE like I think about 00, the good parts in isolation. I try to ignore anything but Season 1 of 00 and Part 2 of AGE.

I think I go about 10 eps into the second season of 00 before it angers up my blood. Also I hate flowers now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom