• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how you can like Summer Wars but think that Our War Game looks bad.

This:

summer_wars_artwork_02.jpg

is better than all you posted from OWG so far. I don't understand how you cannot see the difference in the art. though I see how your preference could be different than mine.

wonzo

Banned
OK so let's put it in a more easy way that no one would ever be able to oppose:

Digimon sucks as an animated show/movie/whatever. Games are good though (at least the one I played on PS1 was).

On the other hand, Summer Wars is a great movie. Stop comparing them please.
But OWG is pretty much the same thing but way better.

Dunno why you guys all act so surprised. I've heard the same sort of comments about the designs in Hosoda's One Piece movie. Maybe he's just a hack after all?
Sounds like another case of the almost incurable Bad Taste™.

Jintor

Of course Summer Wars looks better, it's almost a decade later in execution

I love Digimon's dub. The mix of comedy and shonen-ness is amazing, and the dubbers are just fantastic.

Risette

A Good Citizen
This:

is better than all you posted from OWG so far. I don't understand how you cannot see the difference in the art. though I see how your preference could be different than mine.
That's not how the movie looks. All of Hosoda's animated works have detail-light and clean animation character designs like OWG.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Did I not answer correctly (I made a brief answer at the bottom of last page)? It's pretty much what Cajun said.
Heh, ok. I guess by keeping that line you prevent yourself from getting into these kinds of ears:

BmHgA8I.jpg

Because then it would be all over for you.

fertygo

This:

Dude, Summer Wars not even look like that in actual movie.. just took any screenshot, its Hosoda-fied.

yami4ct

I honestly think, as a kids show at least, the first 2 seasons of Digimon and Our War Game are pretty good. They're way more fun than they have any right to be. I can still go back to Our War Game and have a good time with it. I think it has a really interesting plot and some pretty good pacing. It creates a good sense of tension throughout.

As for anything post that, Digimon might as well not exist. I've not seen anything past that weird armor/human egg fusion series stuff, but anything post OWG becomes increasingly hard to watch, even as a kids show. I may check out whatever the new show is when nick brings it over, though. Who knows? Could be fun at least.

wonzo

Banned
This:

Why are you comparing promo art to screens from an actual movie? The promo art for SW looks almost nothing alike to the actual film outside of the character designs.

Because Digimon characters are awful looking.

THANK YOU

But OWG is pretty much the same thing but way better.

Of course Summer Wars looks better, it's almost a decade later in execution

I don't understand: if you agree why all this drama?

But this is what the movie looks like:

Still better than the OWG screens.

And seriously, Digimon fans: raise you standards.
There's so many better shows than that.

I honestly think, as a kids show at least, the first 2 seasons of Digimon and Our War Game are pretty good. They're way more fun than they have any right to be. I can still go back to Our War Game and have a good time with it. I think it has a really interesting plot and some pretty good pacing. It creates a good sense of tension throughout.

As for anything post that, Digimon might as well not exist. I've not seen anything past that weird armor/human egg fusion series stuff, but anything post OWG becomes increasingly hard to watch, even as a kids show. I may check out whatever the new show is when nick brings it over, though. Who knows? Could be fun at least.

Tamers was legitimately amazing. And Savers was a very well executed series with an engaging plot.

It's just Frontier that drags everything around it down by virtue of existing.

But you should definitely watch Tamers. It's legendary.

fertygo

And Summer Wars is great movie, screw you haters.

Hogoda still on clean sheet at making bad movies.

Tamers and Saver were good.

smh, hating on Tamers.

And Savers becomes full on hot blooded shounen.

yami4ct

Tamers was legitimately amazing. And Savers was a very well executed series with an engaging plot.

It's just Frontier that drags everything around it down by virtue of existing.

But you should definitely watch Tamers. It's legendary.

Frontier is the one that I was thinking of that I couldn't stand. That was the last one I've seen.

As for Tamers, I've seen it. It has some interesting ideas, I just think it lacks some of the heart and wonder the original 2 seasons and OWG had. I just didn't enjoy it as much.

cajunator

Banned
Haven't seen OWG, but
in terms of style. I love Hosoda's work and movies, but the TV series digimon art is at least distinctive. The character design in Summer wars and TGWLTT is nothing to write home about either.

And seriously, Digimon fans: raise you standards.
There's so many better shows than that.

Not really. Even all this time later, few kids shows can reach the same lofty heights as Digimon.

Digimon Adventure, Digimon Tamers and Digimon Savers are all among the best shows aimed at those audiences, and I would say they even stack up against plenty of other shows. If someone doesn't like Digimon Tamers, it can only mean a horrific lack of soul on their part.

Branduil

I don't get it. So Steam Boy looks better than Akira? Really?

Hosoda has not yet been corrupted by overwhelming amounts of bad CGI.

Haven't seen OWG, but

in terms of style. I love Hosoda's work and movies, but the TV series digimon art is at least distinctive. The character design in Summer wars and TGWLTT is nothing to write home about either.

Angel Beats induced blindness strikes again. :(

Haven't seen OWG, but

You're a true bro, cajun.

Not really. Even all this time later, few kids shows can reach the same lofty heights as Digimon.

Digimon Adventure, Digimon Tamers and Digimon Savers are all among the best shows aimed at those audiences, and I would say they even stack up against plenty of other shows. If someone doesn't like Digimon Tamers, it can only mean a horrific lack of soul on their part.

Beyblade, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh are great kids series. Honestly it would bedificult for me to compare actual kids show whit kids show from when I was kid, because my vision changed, but objectively, digimon weren't better. It would be your usual kid show, nothing more, nothing less.

Angel Beats induced blindness strikes again. :(

Are you hating on Angel Beats? you wouldn't want to do that would you?

yami4ct

Why is Digimon getting so much talk now, anyway? Seems like an odd point of discussion. I mean, not that I'll complain. It was a formative part of my anime development as a child/adolescent, but it's not something I'd really think to bring up.

For me, Digimon definitely peaked with OWG. It had other great things, but OWG was the best ideas, fights, and story they really had in them.

cajunator

Banned
You're a true bro, cajun.

Beyblade, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh are great kids series. Honestly it would bedificult for me to compare actual kids show whit kids show from when I was kid, because my vision changed, but objectively, digimon weren't better. It would be your usual kid show, nothing more, nothing less.

Im not taking sides here in particular, just calling it like I see it.
and what I see is digimon TV art that looks more pleasing than the movie artwork.
Who gives a shit anyway? Its art. you either like one or the other more. Its style choice in this case.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If I might ask, what's this image from? Best I can tell from searching, it has something to do with LoL.

edit: never mind, figured it out with a bit more searching. Ashe from LoL, I think.
Yeah, you solved it. As far as I know it's just some random piece of fan art. She is the inferior ice queen but Sejuani is too good for this thread.

Risette

A Good Citizen
That Angel Beats screenshot is actually painful for my eyes to focus on. It'd only be worse if it was a bright green of sorts.

yami4ct

I'm sorry, as someone who grew up on it, that show is pretty close to garbage after a point. It started great. Through Duelist Kingdom and that battle city arc, it was a fantastic kids show. After that, it's the worst drivel imaginable. The sequel shows are even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom