• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

Japanese subs only.

It comes with some pretty neat extras though:
- Bonus disc with promo vids
- Booklet
- Film strip
- Nice box

wolfchildrenextras.jpg

It was inevitable, but still...

At least my money pile is happy!

Jintor

I wonder when Madman will release it here. The retail releases of the other movies they screened for Reel Anime are coming out, I saw Children Who Chase Lost Voices the other day as well as that Beserk movie.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Maybe... never watched. But One Piece and Digimon looks GROSS. Maybe they animate well, like these two movies. I loved how crazy it looks in motion. But character design wise, it looks pretty bad.
Why are you contradicting yourself? They are animated works, so how they animate is what matters and is part of how the character designs should be judged. They would not animate as well if the character designs were not suited to animation.

sonicmj1

Maybe... never watched. But One Piece and Digimon looks GROSS. Maybe they animate well, like these two movies. I loved how crazy it looks in motion. But character design wise, it looks pretty bad.

Does anything else matter? If it looks good in motion, I don't give a shit about stills.

Wandering Son 7

Blah blah this show does adolescent drama better than anything else blah blah.

This show does a lot of stuff really well with cutting between time periods and/or flashbacks. It's almost never disorienting (unlike Mouryou no Hako), which is a pretty great feat considering how much they do it, how brief the cuts often are, and how the show doesn't use a stupid flashback filter (like Hataraki Man does) to indicate those cuts.

Nitori relating his karaoke outing to Mako is the most obvious example of this, but a more subtle one is the intercutting of Tatsuki's encounter with Saori in the bathroom and her moping about said encounter at basketball practice. It's startling the ease with which the show moves that bathroom moment from present to past tense, and it lets them save the punchline of that scene to cut it with a specific reaction from Tatsuki.

iwz2yUF1TcVwu.jpg

It's important for the camera to start on Tatsuki here. It helps inform us of where we're going from this bathroom.
ijgU8I3A2sE7i.jpg

Basic transition establishing shot. Now we're at the gym. We hear the sounds of practice before this cut.
iGpgT3E1cPIoc.jpg

Here's the first part of their conversation, talking about Saori. So we've left the bathroom behind, right?

Wrong.
i0ABnsMOUfAzd.jpg
ibqpkDt0BAQ5v0.jpg

Saori's line in flashback continues from the first picture into the second, connecting them. Because they move between the scenes through closeups on Takatsuki, we know how they're connected. Then, they can cut back out to the 'present' basketball practice the same way.

It's a really well-directed show. I think some similar techniques get used in Fate/Zero as well, but it's been long enough since I watched it that I don't remember.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Why are you contradicting yourself? They are animated works, so how they animate is what matters and is part of how the character designs should be judged. They would not animate as well if the character designs were not suited to animation.
This is not a binary issue. They can be suited for animation and still be crap.

I'm sorry, as someone who grew up on it, that show is pretty close to garbage after a point. It started great. Through Duelist Kingdom and that battle city arc, it was a fantastic kids show. After that, it's the worst drivel imaginable. The sequel shows are even worse.
After the phenomenal battle city arc with the Ishtars, yugioh kind if fell apart, feeling the same and going to the virtual world with Noah didn't help.

Though I disagree with the rest, GX and zexal are really good series and 5ds has a strong cast, dungeon dice must be commended too.

Kurita

I'm sorry, as someone who grew up on it, that show is pretty close to garbage after a point. It started great. Through Duelist Kingdom and that battle city arc, it was a fantastic kids show. After that, it's the worst drivel imaginable. The sequel shows are even worse.
Early Yu-Gi-Oh was really good without the cards. The Capsule monsters game against Bakura was crazy.
Then Battle City is one of my fav shounen arcs ever. So good. The last arc where they go back to Egypt was cool, too.

Then I like to pretend that the spin-offs don't exist since Takahashi was not really involved.

DiGiKerot

I wonder when Madman will release it here. The retail releases of the other movies they screened for Reel Anime are coming out, I saw Children Who Chase Lost Voices the other day as well as that Beserk movie.

Probably when Funimation release it plus a month or two - it's a title they'll likely wait for the dub on. With Funi's current timescales on it, we're probably looking at Q4, or in the New Year if we're particularly unlucky.

Articalys

Incidentally, the reason why I didn't say much in the past besides news reports or other similar things is because once you say something stupid in this forum, it's going to get immediately preserved for posterity, and that's not something I'm fond of having happen continuously.

So I think I'm going to go back to my policy of largely keeping my mouth shut unless it's to relay information.

Kurita

Incidentally, the reason why I didn't say much in the past besides news reports or other similar things is because once you say something stupid in this forum, it's going to get immediately preserved for posterity, and that's not something I'm fond of having happen continuously.

So I think I'm going to go back to my policy of largely keeping my mouth shut unless it's to relay information.

Is it the reason why you don't post on the Mangas thread anymore?

I do not think theres ever been a time where Ive even considered having you on on a list of people who say stupid things.

Early Yu-Gi-Oh was really good without the cards. The Capsule monsters game against Bakura was crazy.
Then Battle City is one of my fav shounen arcs ever. So good. The last arc where they go back to Egypt was cool, too.

Then I like to pretend that the spin-offs don't exist since Takahashi was not really involved.
The problem with the sequels spin-off is that they introduce too many rules so many of them are stupid as hell . i don't care about how silly it looks because the synchro summons gave life to many good stratégies , but everything GX did was bad ...
There comes the point where it would have been great that they let go of the cards but it's a cash show and won't do that.

Easy , just post your anime impressions + your news and nobody will complain.
I don't agree with some impression i read , but i read them and i accept them as opinions.
The fear of "saying something stupid " should not prevent you from sharing anime impressions, especially here.

cajunator

Banned

Part of the fun is watching people dredge up your past posts.
Makes it more interesting.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Digimon: Our War Game

I loved that film. Back in the day, the first three Digimon films were released here in a single package. I still have that VHS somewhere, haha.

I'll go back to them once I finish my Digimon Tamers rewatch.

Edit: I see this post caused quite the commotion. Nice.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This:

is better than all you posted from OWG so far. I don't understand how you cannot see the difference in the art. though I see how your preference could be different than mine.
Did you seriously compare screenshots of Our War Game to promotional artwork drawn by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto?

P.S. Oh hey you are now a full member! Congrats!
The Karma Saiyuki
Keep on fighting the fight, Extol.
Smile Precure! 34

Boring episode. It's like they just sucked away all the energy from the show.
Episode 35 is the best.
Rinne no Lagrange 1

So, aside from my stated complaint, I thought this looked to be a pretty promising show. It obviously has NO compunctions with showing me Madoka's butt, having pants the girl like, four times in one episode (once by her own sister?), but I like the cut of Madoka's jib. She's an upbeat character, and hopefully I don't have to listen to her scream every twenty seconds the way Flit, Asemu, and Kio did. She seems hotblooded, even. The show seems to have a very light hearted feel, and where Rah Xephon sits on its ass posturing pretentiously in the hopes of being the next Evangelion, Rinne seems to basically flip off the idea of explanations to instead, you know, tell a story.

Safe to say that it is the best not- MSG mecha I'm watching atm.
You are gonna hate season two so much.
also none of these better have even remotely happy endings

i want all dead characters
You are basically asking for someone to post spoilers. I can see through your shenanigans.

...but watch Space Runaway Ideon.

Westlo

Vividred 1-5

Anime of 2013, this shit better be split cour.

Wow... peple like Hosoda's style (it's the guy that directed that episode of TTGL, right?)? I thought they were the same. Consider I'm talking about the guy who directed OP Movie 6 and Digimon OWG.

I always knew this thread was full of bad taste, but... that's too much. Shit is gross... OP Movie 6 strenghts aren't on the art, that's for sure. OWG looks like shite too, compared to the main series. Never watched Summer Wars.

cBCGb.gif

Jex

Wandering Son 7

This show does a lot of stuff really well with cutting between time periods and/or flashbacks. It's almost never disorienting (unlike Mouryou no Hako), which is a pretty great feat considering how much they do it, how brief the cuts often are, and how the show doesn't use a stupid flashback filter (like Hataraki Man does) to indicate those cuts.

Now, firstly, I seem to remember a lot of people saying that they found Wandering Son to be confusing when it aired which baffled me because, while it moved fairly fast it always did a good job of linking events and characters together.

Here's a quick question that I am not entirely sure of the answer to - do you believe that Mouryou no Hako is deliberately disorientating? Annyone who is currently watching the show is free to answer.

My own opinion is that Mouryou no Hako isn't aiming to confuse the viewer, it just doesn't bother to ensure that you can keep up with the reams and reams of plot-relevant information that is revealed each episodes. It assumes that you can keep up with the story and doesn't even bother to use a brief flashback to help you out. Which is a little harsh, but there you go.

Now, I think a few sequences are meant to be confusing, namely the book-intro's that a number of episodes have but those are more like puzzles which you should be able to solve by the end of the series.

I think that the best example of a work which very deliberately confuses the viewer is Perfect Blue. Some works don't meant to be confusing but are, such as Yami which is just throttled by terrible editing.

Maedhros

Not for my argument. I'm not talking about the animation (except in parentheses), but the character design. They characters look like shit compared to the originals. And that's it.

sonicmj1

Now, firstly, I seem to remember a lot of people saying that they found Wandering Son to be confusing when it aired which baffled me because, while it moved fairly fast it always did a good job of linking events and characters together.

Here's a quick question that I am not entirely sure of the answer to - do you believe that Mouryou no Hako is deliberately disorientating? Annyone who is currently watching the show is free to answer.

My own opinion is that Mouryou no Hako isn't aiming to confuse the viewer, it just doesn't bother to ensure that you can keep up with the reams and reams of plot-relevant information that is revealed each episodes. It assumes that you can keep up with the story and doesn't even bother to use a brief flashback to help you out. Which is a little harsh, but there you go.

Now, I think a few sequences are meant to be confusing, namely the book-intro's that a number of episodes have but those are more like puzzles which you should be able to solve by the end of the series.

I think that the best example of a work which very deliberately confuses the viewer is Perfect Blue. Some works don't meant to be confusing but are, such as Yami which is just throttled by terrible editing.

I think I basically agree with you. There are parts that are meant to be confusing, like almost every episode intro, but a lot of the flashback elements aren't well-connected in time and it just becomes sorta hard to follow. I think it may have been episode 3 where we had flashbacks inside flashbacks cutting around in different parts of the same location, and it was difficult to tell when things were happening. If it weren't for your excellent posts with their timelines, I would never be sure I had everything straight.

I think the show tries to limit how much it gives us specific times for the sake of pacing (its also rarely interested in making sure the viewer has processed all the information they're given) and its a much more ambitious work than Wandering Son, but that causes some trouble every now and then.

I kind of like the last two episodes of Mouryou no Hako. Even if they're still pretty dense, it feels like the show is sitting us down with Kyougokudou and telling us how we should be thinking about the stuff that has happened, and the stuff that will come. Having a good filter helps when you're getting so much information.

EDIT: The beginning of Wandering Son can be confusing, but that's not the fault of the direction. They're plopping us in the middle of a story that has clearly been in progress for a long time beforehand. It's pretty great that the direction gets the viewer up to speed as quickly as it does.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The one night I decide to go to bed early and this happens.

I mean, I couldn't have added anything substantive to the discussion anyway, but.......fuck

cajunator

Banned
Futari Wa Precure 26

The rudimentary CG in these past couple of episodes is completely awful. You could tell CG was brand new tech in animation at the time.
Once again, this whole post is full of spoilers so enjoy the censorship!
the Precure find themselves before the Dark King. One of his most powerful minions, a gigantic monster begins to attack them. He is way too powerful and they are getting the shit kicked out of them. However, he makes them istake of trying to damage the prism stones. The Dark King thusly destroys him on the spot for his carelessness. The King begins to draw the stones towards him after soundly defeating the Precure. However, the Queen of the Garden of Light appears (well its only fair that since the Dark King can go to the Garden the Light queen can infiltrate his own lair) and lends her power to getting the stones back. The Precure unleash a mighty Marble Screw blast that completely annihilates the Dark King. Or did it? With the King apparently gone, the stones are used to restore the Garden of Light and Mipple and Mepple say their tearful goodbyes. Nagisa and honoka return to Earth. Everything is restored to normal...
Except that there are 23 more episodes...
Something is clearly wrong with this picture.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Wandering Son 7

Oh God yes, I love where this is going.

They're not only appealing to the
NTR-loving me
, they're also doing it seamlessly without ever resorting to useless angsty-filled scenes, all the while portraying characters we already know well (or thought we did) in different ways.

Going by everyone else's impressions, I think it's safe to say that this show is a backlog season favorite.

Gintama - 116~118

Kamenashi wife was rather disturbing.
"...in the end, you played the Mega Drive too?"
Katsura and Gin-chan were amazing.
The "spouzer" scene was pretty funny, still I kinda expected someone to say
"its over 9000!"
When Otae was tied up and making that speech, Otae was pretty badass there and Otae vs Otohime was a "nice fight".
Michuko-san, Michuko-san, Michuko-san...Kagura and Kyuubei. <3
Such a sweet ending Otohime was really pretty at the end, dat
smile

Ultimadrago

Hataraki Man 7

If you work youself too hard, you'll run out of steam. The lesson is "Never try." Well, that or
quit
to attempt creating a more flexible environment for yourself. Shiwakawa went with the latter. Good on her.

Overall, I leave the episode with great indifference. It was definitely weaker than past episodes. Even for one focused on Hiroko's mindset towards work, it was dull. Shiwakawa's story had a different focus on the workplace, as Hataraki Man episodes usually promise, but it wasn't a particularly engaging one. Putting your heart into work versus the all-powerful hand of the deadline simply didn't make for a good episode here.

Jex

I kind of like the last two episodes of Mouryou no Hako. Even if they're still pretty dense, it feels like the show is sitting us down with Kyougokudou and telling us how we should be thinking about the stuff that has happened, and the stuff that will come. Having a good filter helps when you're getting so much information.

I would just like to point out that I hate Kyougokudou for having such an excessively long name.

/XX/

Oh and I guess I did play the shit out FIFA Road to World Cup '98. Y'know, the one with that Blur song (so badarse).
Oh, yes! And so much time spent tweaking the teams stats to the sound of 'More' by The Crystal Method (I think I still can hear it very lowly inside my head, anytime). Last game from the genre I played was FIFA 99 (that I also loved; fast as heck and direct play style with a lot of tricks to do... and magnificent "El Moro" Morientes on the cover!), and since then practically nothing else.

These are the days that I wish Hito were still an admin so that he could still force moe avatars onto people.
He should have forced you to not drop yours anymore! :-D

Hosoda has not yet been corrupted by overwhelming amounts of bad CGI.
Will you still be saying that after you see all the CG bicycles in Wolf Children? Lol.
Well, Mr. Hosoda's previously directed movies also had rather strange and even somewhat jarring cuts featuring 3DCG models on-scene (obviously and after all this time, Summer Wars was a step ahead on that sense).

That is not to say the techniques he has lately used to make grass so lively and with depth (for example) aren't cool at all! I remember seeing a report on what they did with animated vegetation image data, cloning and overall integration to make it look really good, but I don't remember where I saw it exactly (NHK WORLD's imagine-nation, perhaps?).

hey can you guys recommend me some really fucking depressing anime? i just watched all of Now and Then, Here and There and it wasnt enough for me. dont say Grave of the Fireflies either, thats too obvious
If not Grave of the Fireflies because it is too obvious, what about the thematically close Barefoot Gen?

Japanese subs only.
They should really just keep the packaging as is, add english subs and charge full price in the US for that. I would definitely pay it.
It was inevitable, but still...
The worst thing is that it was planned for this to include the English subtitles used on international releases for film festivals, as was first reported (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45246046&postcount=8168) but VAP, Inc., backtracked on it... and I keep wondering why...

BluWacky

I would just like to point out that I hate Kyougokudou for having such an excessively long name.

I find Kyougokudou as a character to be rather irritating. It's one thing for the author to self-insert - but another thing entirely to actually self-insert himself with his own name into the story, and then proceed to essentially lecture the audience on how much he knows about folklore and spirits etc. I get that the concepts of mouryou etc. need explaining to us - but it's like watching a textbook at times.

Naruto SD 46
tumblr_mih6gkhQSu1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mih6gkhQSu1qbxqfpo2_500.png

What series even? Anyway really funny episode dealing with open perverts v closet pervets etc, Sasuke is a casual pervert?
And he even shows up next episode, yes!!! Hopefully its not just some tease again
. Konohamaru, Naruto, and Master Jiraiya are all hilarious all around.

I just remembered Digimon Adventures 02 had that weird standalone episode that was almost entirely a shoutout to HP Lovecraft that I think was never brought up or remarked upon again. What the what.

Chiaki Konaka is what happened. Then he happened again for Digimon Tamers.

That episode was incredible.

Naruto SD 46
tumblr_mih6gkhQSu1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mih6gkhQSu1qbxqfpo2_500.png

What series even? Anyway really funny episode dealing with open perverts v closet pervets etc, Sasuke is a casual pervert?
And he even shows up next episode, yes!!! Hopefully its not just some tease again
. Konohamaru, Naruto, and Master Jiraiya are all hilarious all around.

Pretty sure that's Anzai from Slam Dunk.
Zocr6q6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom