• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milamber

Spoilers from the final episode of Girls und Panzer are starting to float around the Internet (thanks to this premiere on theaters; http://www.kadokawa-cineplex.co.jp/mito/news/detail.php?id=693).

... how sweet of you, guys, I just wanted to see the two episodes together on Monday without having to worry about things like this for once! >:-(
Oorai Gakuen Tank case iPhone 5 armor!?

MY MONEY IS HITTING THE MONITOR BUT NOTHING IS HAPPENING!

EDIT: Huh, I misread again. It's just a normal case from another company. No GuP branding.

EDIT 2: LOL, a Strike Witches branded binoculars. Perfect for spotting Witches panties.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
@AnimeNewsNet: News: Utena/Penguindrum's Ikuhara Reveals 'Yuri Kuma Arashi' #Anime http://t.co/xMFxzepNgP
Director Kunihiko Ikuhara (Revolutionary Girl Utena, Penguindrum, several Sailor Moon television series) presented brief footage from his new anime work, tentatively titled "Yuri Kuma Arashi" (literally, Yuri Bear Storm), in a discussion event on Saturday. The footage featured a bear that transformed into a girl. Ikuhara did not state how the project will be released.

The event was held in conjunction with the Revolutionary Girl Utena Art Exhibition in Tokyo. Ikuhara's last anime project, Penguindrum, premiered in 2011. A website for the "Kunihiko Ikuhara/Penguinbear Project" launched in 2012 with the tagline "Find out, without getting caught in that clear storm." The website has since promoted an upcoming manga adaptation of Penguindrum.

IT'S HERE

zeroshiki

When they cry 20-25

I resumed it after a 4 month hiatus and to my surprise it got a lot more interesting then the previous episodes I remember.

Pooya

Shinsekai yori - 25 END

that was a cool ending.

1vbqyv.jpg

Team Squealer for life :( that was a good speech.
Kiroumaru was a boss too :\

conclusion -> rats>>>>>>>>>>>>>humans

despite all of its problems I'm glad I watched the series, it was a good and unique sci-fi series, enjoyed following it all, pretty decent series, more so because of its plot and all the themes presented and not the execution, I rarely ever bother to think and speculate about some anime plot, this is one of them.

Taruranto

ShinSekai Yori #25

For some reason, i thought the ending was similar to PP, however, unlike PP, it actually worked because the show was infinitely better. I cared about the characters, i cared about their relationships and the villain and his motives were far more interesting.

MbHwaQA.jpg

wonzo

Banned
Sasami@Unmotivated 11

Damn, this was a really good episode. This is definitely one for all the hair sakuga and yuri fans to check out. While this series can be really uneven at times, it's episodes like this that make it worth it. Now I just need to wait for the BD's to fix up some of the "quality" and actually add in all the obviously missing animation!

@AnimeNewsNet: News: Utena/Penguindrum's Ikuhara Reveals 'Yuri Kuma Arashi' #Anime http://t.co/xMFxzepNgP

IT'S HERE
FUCK YES

sasami@ganbaranai - 11

Again another excellent episode.

Sasami-san%40Ganbaranai_-_11.jpg

With the powers of the moon , i'll defeat you !

Yuri : check
Drama : check
Gangaranai : not check
Misunderstandings : check
Glorious animated hair : check

Code:
R_thanatos has left the divine tele-channel

Jintor

Oh fantastic lol, Crunchyroll auto-charges you for a month subscription after the trial period instead of doing the logical thing and asking you if you'd like to give them money. Thanks Crunchyroll.

duckroll

Oh fantastic lol, Crunchyroll auto-charges you for a month subscription after the trial period instead of doing the logical thing and asking you if you'd like to give them money. Thanks Crunchyroll.

Isn't that how most "free trials" work? There's a reason why they require you to enter payment info even though it's "free"! ^^;

Jintor

Yeah, I know, I was just hoping naively I wouldn't get charged overdraft fees for the month before I dump some cash in my card account. Sigh

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Yeah thats how every free trial works.

Crunchyroll has sent me 3 free month trials over the last year and a half or so. I guess they really don't like me cancelling after a few months :(

duckroll

From the New World - Episode 24-25 (End)

R1TfaQl.jpg

Attack of the Moe

That was a really good ending. Ep24 was kinda spotty in direction and had some really questionable non-linear narrative techniques again, which didn't work well at all, but it did a decent job of setting up the climax. The final episode was a real punch in the gut. I think it did a fantastic job of summing up all the themes in the show in a way which leaves room for reflection, without being particularly judgmental about any particular point. It's a pretty solid conclusion which doesn't feel cheap or heavy handed or dumb. Emotionally it was very satisfying but not in a pleasant way.

If only the series had more consistent direction and production values, it could really have been something much more highly regarded. As it is, it remains a very experimental show with inexperienced staff, and while it has really strong highs, it also feels like it aims to be something it never really gets in reach of.

Either way I'm interested to see if Ishihama will continue to direct more things in the future, or if he'll return to animation instead. I just hope he doesn't get depressed and just fades away like Iso. :p

Jex

From the New World - Episode 24-25 (End)
[....]

Either way I'm interested to see if Ishihama will continue to direct more things in the future, or if he'll return to animation instead. I just hope he doesn't get depressed and just fades away like Iso. :p

He's just sleeping. You'll see.

SAIN SEYA OMEGA 46
Saint%20Seiya%20Omega%20-%2046_01.jpg

Such a delicious brofist...
Wooooaaaaaahhhhhh

raaaaaaaaahhhhh

Folloooooow the liiiiiiiiight !!!!

burn my cosmooooooooooooo!!!!

HArd to explain this episode otherwise ..it was hot blooded , full of seven sense and of cosmo burning with a little sense of self sacrifice.

Saint%20Seiya%20Omega%20-%2046_02.jpg

At last ? don't tell me....

And medea plans were trully perfect .. That's some planning lol. Our heroes were this close to suceeded yet so far..

i .... need to watch the next episode .

BluWacky

To what is probably absolutely nobody's surprise, a third Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha movie is officially on the way.

You may not know the answer to this, but does the second film cover the entirety of Nanoha As? If so, I'm not sure what they plan to cover in the third film - half of StrikerS? I'm not a fan of the franchise, just curious as to what people think they might adapt next.

survivor

Banned
Polar Bear Cafe 1

I can't believe I can relate to the real life problems of a panda. Panda's new job is silly. If these animals living on their own is normal in this society then why do zoos exist? Why do little kids get excited from seeing a panda lazing around when their neighbour can be a panda? Actually do little panda kids go to school?

I expected first episode to have bad pacing problems like most of slice of life anime that are literally about nothing, but this was a pleasant surprise.

sonicmj1

Shin Sekai Yori 25

The last few episodes may have been a little uneven, but this one goes out on top. It's an excellent denouement. It summarizes the themes of the series well, emphasizes the important points, and implies just enough about everything else. It was a great reminder of all the points where this show succeeded so well.

The production was too uneven for this show to be a masterpiece, but its ambition was realized well enough that it isn't a failure. It fills a niche that doesn't get too much attention in anime, so I'd feel comfortable recommending it to people interested in this sort of speculative science fiction.

------

It's interesting running some parallels between this and Psycho-Pass. Both shows focus on the difficulty of maintaining order in a society that can be so affected by human violence; on the flaws in a pervasive, controlling society that sacrifices the freedom of its citizens for the sake of perceived safety; on the blind spots and assumptions that can prove fatal to that stability. Shin Sekai Yori's successes in creating a rich, human cast would already put it above Psycho-Pass, but what is more impressive and more rare to me is how this show lets us see the flaws and conflicts on the terms of the world inside it. Nobody in Shin Sekai's new world is interested in philosophy for its own sake. The conflicts in the show are the practical results of people whose interests are at stake. Lectures and exposition are about things that happened or what people experienced, not about ideals and abstractions. Each moment is a real artifact of that world, that life. The show trusts us to interpret those moments and draw our own conclusions about how that relates to our own lives.

Psycho-Pass's world has no shortage of real flaws or conflicts. Its "rehabilitation centers" are worthless, its citizens are at turns apathetic or anxious, and there's a huge dissatisfied underclass with no voice or opportunity. Yet the conflict in the show is between an avatar of Freedom, an avatar of Justice, and an avatar of Order, who speak in old quotations about retribution, or societies as prisons, or what have you. Their personal ideals are interesting when it comes to their characters (and I like how Akane develops over the second half of the series), but their ways of thinking force rigid black-and-white dichotomies on the Sybil System, and keep the world from telling its own story.

Or I'm overthinking the simple truth that Shin Sekai Yori trusts its audience to understand things, and Psycho-Pass has no faith in its audience to understand anything not shoved directly in front of their faces.

DiGiKerot

You may not know the answer to this, but does the second film cover the entirety of Nanoha As? If so, I'm not sure what they plan to cover in the third film - half of StrikerS? I'm not a fan of the franchise, just curious as to what people think they might adapt next.

I've not seen the movie yet, but I've seen enough Twitter traffic on the matter to know that they get to the end of A's, albeit by chopping some plot lines out entirely.

Honestl, though, StrikerS has an awful lot of chaff in it - it's a really badly paced show. I kind of feel they could probably do that as a single movie as well, it they chose to do so. Even if they didn't, it probably needs a lot more work, structurally, that the first series or A's did.

There's so many weird Nanoha spin-off manga they could be adapting at this point, though.

sonicmj1

Squealer's speech at the end was really moving, game me Kunta Kinte vibes, and his fate was.. urg. I really enjoyed this series, but there are a few unanswered threads left unanswered.

I love how the show handles Squealer. He's a fantastic character.

Is R_thanatos doing a catch up rush on SSO before the season ends? Lol. I can't wait to watch ep50 tomorrow!!!! :D

YES... it was hard to not watch while it was airing but now i can embrace this feelign and BURN MY COSMO ...RAAAAAAAAAAGAHHHHHH

-------------
SAIN SEYA OMEGA 47

i don't have the words : pisces amor is trully an ennemy the serie deserved.... and i'm glad we got it , since this guy don't hesitate and keep his pseudo laid back attitude.. a total breath of fresh air for SSO.
Dat
fake
flashback.

Saint%20Seiya%20Omega%20-%2047.jpg

All this time , you were dancing in the palm of my hand ™
Medea is praise incarnate .... dat planning dat arrogance ... best evil woman of 2013 so far no doubt ..that's how you do things !! So tired of vilains 1 dimensionnal.. they better not wreck her backstory once the time comes.. this isn't even a case of luck or plot armor ... just pure planning and deception.. Glorious.

There's so many weird Nanoha spin-off manga they could be adapting at this point, though.

Adapt vivid in oav, serie , movie ( pick one choice )or nothing else

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I was thinking that maybe the Yuri in the title does not mean anything about lesbians and is just the name of the protagonist. Would make sense with the magical girl approach to name it as the main character.

Not that I don't believe Ikuhara won't find a way to include some homoeroticism...

Ultimadrago

Chihayafuru S2 4-10

karutajjjug.png
datqueenwqjyo.png

yumyumm7j5u.png
morelieky7k2w.png

Top-left: Karuta Kuma
Top-Right: Awesome Creeping Goddess Queen
Bottom-Left: Delicious Taichi salt over Arata's superior existence
Bottom-Right: Oe "? It has been decided by the committee that this name is not correct. After further consideration, unanimous judgement shall bring forth her official name, 'More liek MOE'" Kanade

Why hello again, karuta!

I believe it's the most popular manga of all time in America. Maybe.

If I recall correctly, Naruto is the only manga to sell better than Fruits Basket in the US.

IT'S HERE

Anime is saved again.

My hype levels are already rising just from reading that.

To what is probably absolutely nobody's surprise, a third Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha movie is officially on the way.

But there's only two seasons of Nanoha, so what are they going to do?

BluWacky

I was thinking that maybe the Yuri in the title does not mean anything about lesbians and is just the name of the protagonist. Would make sense with the magical girl approach to name it as the main character.

Not that I don't believe Ikuhara won't find a way to include some homoeroticism...

Well, it's apparently written with just the katakana for "yuri". It could mean anything at this stage. Until we can actually see the PV or have something more official about the context of all this it's very difficult to say anything constructive about it at all.

I've read a few Tweets on the content of the PV but I'm not confident enough to say exactly what was talked about other than there were two bears that turned into girls and lots of shots of panties (as opposed to "panty shots", if you know what I mean - one of the Tweets talks about a "storm of panties").

Ikuni's most recent tweet?

IKUHARA MY LOVE said:

How dare he sleep when he should be revealing everything to us -_-.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I've read a few Tweets on the content of the PV but I'm not confident enough to say exactly what was talked about other than there were two bears that turned into girls and lots of shots of panties (as opposed to "panty shots", if you know what I mean).
Either this is the Anime of the Forever or Ikuhara jumped the shark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom