• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsionBolt

You may not know the answer to this, but does the second film cover the entirety of Nanoha As? If so, I'm not sure what they plan to cover in the third film - half of StrikerS? I'm not a fan of the franchise, just curious as to what people think they might adapt next.

The Movie 2nd covers A's in a re-imagine-y kind of way. The plot is rearranged and edited to suit the movie format, but the ending is almost exactly the same. The same approach would work well enough for StrikerS, since the only plot-relevant episodes are 1 and 17+ anyway, but they'd have to cut a lot more fluff.

From the New World 25 (end)

Ending was much better than I expected. Putting all that stuff at the start and then just revealing everything, flashbacks, and insights into the world at hand, history and science, really did well to close much of the stuff out for me.
Didnt think we needed to go all the way with the romance bit :( why couldnt they both still love Shun, and for Shun, why couldnt he come back to society and stuff, would have been best ending moment ever

I guess the writer did succeed into providing new insights into how to treat each other and the concept of human rights as a whole.
Didnt like how on trial the people were all happy and joyous, as it felt odd, or were quick to even dismiss him as human, though it seemed hinted at for awhile that the bakanezumi were close to being humanoids
tumblr_mjnjctfVGK1rysobqo1_500.jpg

Favorite part of the series was definitely the two time periods, everything was funner and more suspenseful then, and a larger cast led to funner events things and personality insights. Current arc was alright. Satoru highlight of the whole anime just kept getting better and better and started out pretty well too, skilled, and I liked Shun too. Honorable mention to Inui and Kaburagi.

8 / 10. Guess Ill pick it up whenever Sentai releases it, wonder if it will get a durb.

SAIN SEYA OMEGA - 48

Breaking news ... a woman that spend her time betraying others will Always betray you.
This is like a rule of common sense ..

Take a look at this guy :

Saint%20Seiya%20Omega%20-%2048_01.jpg
Saint%20Seiya%20Omega%20-%2048_02.jpg

No freaking way ... of course !! You were on the front seat to see her betray everyone including her husband ..what make you think she won't be able to betray her brother ?

i can't even believe he didn't prepare at least something in the very little chance something will went wrong .. no back-up plan ? silly boy.

I'm getting tired of this darkness thing they better not use this plot device for the next season otherwise i'll be angry.

Episode was cool, anyway

Narag

Jojo 24

oVBoq9Ql.jpg

Cars looks so much better without that damned headwrap.

sH779qjl.jpg

Submitted for approval by BGBW's Union Flag Watch.

So good. So ugly. holy fuck at the cliffhanger too

Actually felt a little misled by the OP for change too.
Just assumed the being in the rising sun was Santana returned later on due to the long hair. Nope!

Syrinx

Well, it's apparently written with just the katakana for "yuri". It could mean anything at this stage. Until we can actually see the PV or have something more official about the context of all this it's very difficult to say anything constructive about it at all.

I've read a few Tweets on the content of the PV but I'm not confident enough to say exactly what was talked about other than there were two bears that turned into girls and lots of shots of panties (as opposed to "panty shots", if you know what I mean - one of the Tweets talks about a "storm of panties").

Ikuni's most recent tweet?

How dare he sleep when he should be revealing everything to us -_-.

What's the difference? Does the former just mean they aren't wearing pants?

SAIN SEYA OMEGA 49

Delicious battle animation

Delicious !!

i HAVE NO WORDS ..i need the finale ..i would make a gif but i can't do something less than 5mb .so i won't post them...
dammit

BEAUTIFULL

Syrinx

Exactly.

PS Syrinx, yes, you should watch Penguindrum if you enjoyed Utena.

I should. Maybe in a few weeks though. I just took a heavy dose of Ikuhara in its most distilled form. Need to take a little break from that.

Question: Sailor Moon and Utena were in the 90s right? And so if Penguindrum was 2011...what was he doing all that time in between?

BluWacky

I should. Maybe in a few weeks though. I just took a heavy dose of Ikuhara in its most distilled form. Need to take a little break from that.

Question: Sailor Moon and Utena were in the 90s right? And so if Penguindrum was 2011...what was he doing all that time in between?

A lot of surfing.

More seriously, he wrote a couple of manga (The World of S&M, with Chiho Saito, and The Outcast and the Bride with Asumiko Nakamura), collaborated on a novel (Schell Bullet, with Mamoru Nagano) and occasionally popped up in unexpected places - for instance, he did the OP for Nodame Cantabile.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

He did the storyboards for Diebuster episode two, Soul Eater episode twenty-nine, the opening for Nodame Cantabile, and the one for Sweet Aoi Hana.

He also worked on the manga The World of S&M with Utena character designer Chiho Saito.

Articalys

The bizarre light-novel-to-anime adaptations with ridiculously long titles continue.
The May issue of Kadokawa Shoten's Monthly Shōnen Ace magazine is announcing on Tuesday that an anime adaptation of Takeru Kasukabe's Ore no Nōnai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Come o Zenryōku de Jama Shiteiru (My Mental Multiple-Choice Power Is Completely Ruining My School Romantic Comedy) light novel series is in the works.

The story centers around Kanade Amakusa, a boy cursed with the mental power of "absolute multiple-choice" — a pair of orders will suddenly appear in his mind with no warning, and he is forced to make a choice which will become his reality. For example, he would have to choose between going nude from the waist up or the waist down in school. Due to the perverted nature of many of the orders he has to follow, he has been infamous for his crazy behavior among the neighbors.

One day, while in school, he is given a choice: 1) A beautiful girl will fall before him or 2) he will fall from the rooftop in female clothes. He chooses option 1, and a blonde girl named Chocolat falls before him.

Branduil

This OVA needs to come out on BD. I really hope they don't do something horrible like only release the movie a la Gunbuster.

That would be a terrible insult. I really can't imagine stuff like this looking better on bluray:

iTQRceKs3HPuA.jpg

Not to mention the completely butchered story.

/XX/

Previously I was determined to say that it was a shame a work that relied so much on the brisk paced continuity and progression of an underdog story had precisely to lose its momentum like this until now, but I realized every character, important or not, is so fun to watch, and all make for such a good entertaining conductive thread of the plot action that I didn't mind much at the end of episode 11 why the delay happened.

However, one thing is revisiting and keeping up with all the additional information in the meantime and another is trying to maintain fresh that feel of an accomplished an enjoyable experience that each episode left after its first viewing, that can't be replicated well with just long-term memories when the characters interactions and associations are the basics for it, and also present the core of a story... it is a thing of the moment. Because of this, continuing a series like Girls und Panzer within short and regular intervals is (I think) clearly preferable.

Anyway, a fine penultimate episode, and the instrumental 'Panzerlied' (accompanied by marching sound effects) for its closing moment really gave a powerful impression! Another good addition to the soundtrack I was waiting to hear and deliver on the series itself (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45579918&postcount=14166), and it did!

What I'm reading in Spanish websites is that panties imagery is the new rose imagery.
Panties are the new spinning 'fruit of life'... that is something I can certainly get behind!

More seriously, he wrote a couple of manga (The World of S&M, with Chiho Saito, and The Outcast and the Bride with Asumiko Nakamura), collaborated on a novel (Schell Bullet, with Mamoru Nagano) and occasionally popped up in unexpected places - for instance, he did the OP for Nodame Cantabile.
I'll take the opportunity to link again the cool music composed for Schell:Bullet (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30219016&postcount=16081)... who knows, maybe after Ghoticmade Mr. Nagano is interested on affronting a new VERY long animated project! ;-)

JJBA 24

I was impressed that at least, at some point in time, Lisa Lisa was pretty good
Since Joseph is out of steam, maybe she can awaken and deliver the final blow, though I would be impressed if somehow, Joseph felt empowered by the memory of his friend, learning his past, and then through some unknown means just found it in himself the power to do one more ultrapower ripple to defeat cars. Would be amazing

That one scene had so many colors I couldnt even tell what was going on but it did look amazing. However, I honestly have no clue what can even happen next if the next episode is the last one.
How can they over power him powered by the stone? They cant train and stuff in one episode

Cant wait to see the ending.

Syrinx

A lot of surfing.

He did the storyboards for Diebuster episode two, Soul Eater episode twenty-nine, the opening for Nodame Cantabile, and the one for Sweet Aoi Hana.

He also worked on the manga The World of S&M with Utena character designer Chiho Saito.

World of S&M, huh? Sounds...intriguing.

Kurita

Polar Bear Cafe 1

I can't believe I can relate to the real life problems of a panda. Panda's new job is silly. If these animals living on their own is normal in this society then why do zoos exist? Why do little kids get excited from seeing a panda lazing around when their neighbour can be a panda? Actually do little panda kids go to school?

I expected first episode to have bad pacing problems like most of slice of life anime that are literally about nothing, but this was a pleasant surprise.

ONE OF US

Shergal

From the New World - Fin
What a great finale. Why oh why, couldn't the average SSY episode have been like this?
The pacing was perfect, which contrasted heavily with the issues the final arc had; it looked not just good, but great, and the direction was tight and charged with meaning. More than that, it resolves every important issue, has a good emotional range and leaves you thinking about a lot of stuff, something I find this finale accomplished better than any other episode in the show.
I for one am both happy and sad that
Squealer was redeemable, and much more noble than any of those filthy Cantus monsters. His tragic demise, and the horrible fate he suffered serves to accentuate who is truly the "beast" in this story. The trial scene was so good, the irony between that and the previous conversation at the cage was really powerful.

I do have a minor gripe with the episode, and it has to do with the revelation
about queerats being non-Cantus humans. It's something any attentive viewer will have realized since episode 4, and did not warrant the overblown delivery with Saki Eyes™ and bombastic OST. In fact, the whole speech Satoru gives about the circumstances that led Cantus users to do what they did was already too much. It's a minor gripe since the sequence worked well anyway, but a more understated approach might have been better, creating subtle confirmation and making it all the more depressing. Saki's "conversation" with Squealer at the end was masterful in this vein.

On the whole, I have to say that From the New World was a worthwhile ride. The mediocre episodes far outnumber the truly great ones, but the core concept was fresh and strong, and you could see on the screen that Ishihama really wanted this project to be more. It is a shame that so many factors worked against him.
Hopefully, he doesn't lose his motivation and directs again to give us a truly great project, because he is absolutely capable of doing so. Maybe if he gets a better budget+schedule, and a less demanding source material to adapt (or, you know, he could just go original), the experience he has surely gained as a full supervisor on SSY won't go to waste.
Notable people involved in the show have to be Nobutoshi Ogura on storyboards, Takashi Kojima on key animation, and of course Ishihama himself whenever he was on the position to draw storyboards. Hopefully these three will collaborate more in the future :D

As a side note, I'm yet again listening to the full New World Symphony. What a great piece. Classical music + anime is always a winner.

cajunator

Banned
To what is probably absolutely nobody's surprise, a third Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha movie is officially on the way.

I love how the movies are continuing Nanoha A's and completely ignoring that StrikerS exists (for now)
Because fuck StrikerS.

Lesbians? Bears?

...Hype.

I should prolly watch Penguindrum, huh?

Yes. You really should. Ikuhara has something for you...
Also Ringo is one of the cutest, most insane female characters you will ever see.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwGI7liBFf4

Who doesn't like penguins?

Me and my roommates love penguins. We have about 20 plushie penguins around the house. Penguins make the world better.

May watch for the first few episodes before the gimmick gets old and I start hating myself for starting it.

This actually seems like a creative take on the genre. It could end up being absolutely hilarious. I don't remember if there was ever a harem show with that sort of idea. If there was I probably missed it.

Even though it may be another winner like Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?

Mondaiji gave us KuroUsagi. what will this new show bring? Hopefully Chocolat is really cute. But that's what I hope about everything.

Jex

[From the New World] - Finale

Well, everyone who doesn't already know can breathe a sigh of relief because this series ends very well. This doesn't redeem the series is any way because, as whole, the work is still very flawed. And ambitious. And messy. But when it works, it works and this finale really hit it out of the park in terms of concluding everything in a fitting manner. I couldn't have asked for it to wrap up anyway other way.

Squealer for President!

DiGiKerot

I love how the movies are continuing Nanoha A's and completely ignoring that StrikerS exists (for now)
Because fuck StrikerS.

Has there been any indication as to what the third Nanoha movie is going to be? Because, whilst there's certainly a significant time skip they could cram things into, the Nanoha franchise as a whole certainly doesn't ignore the existence of StrikerS, as it's what most of the media-mix productions are span directly off.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal 49

KFPnYSsl.png

So :wonzo it hurts.

zzz MAGICAL ALIEN POWERS BECOME A SAINT SEIYA CHANGE YOUR NEXT CARD IN YOUR DECK TO WHATEVER YOU NEED SAVE THE DAY AND NOT HAVE EVERYONE DIE how boring

cajunator

Banned
Hopefully more cute stuff like the LN turned anime GJ-Bu...

ibpxI1rI4T03t6.png

DON'T POST THAT WITHOUT WARNING ME FIRST!
I just woke up. My heart does not need that kind of stress right after awakening.
I still love you for posting it

Has there been any indication as to what the third Nanoha movie is going to be? Because, whilst there's certainly a significant time skip they could cram things into, the Nanoha franchise as a whole certainly doesn't ignore the existence of StrikerS, as it's what most of the media-mix productions are span directly off.

I'll just say I wish they did keep ignoring Nanoha StrikerS.

Jex

Ikuni's most recent tweet?

How dare he sleep when he should be revealing everything to us -_-.

What's the deal with Ikuhara and his super secret series revelations anyway? I'm kind of annoyed by these very deliberate, hype-driven marketing schemes because they work on me far too well.

DiGiKerot

I'll just say I wish they did keep ignoring Nanoha StrikerS.

The actual, conceptual things which happen in StrikerS are fine, though. It had Some Good Ideas. It has Some Good Characters. The only real problem with it is that they completely bodged the pacing and crammed absolutely everything what's interesting about it into what ended up being a smidgen less than the last third of the series, resulting in things which really should have had more than enough time to develop being completely squandered.

It's absolutely nothing which couldn't be fixed with some judicious retconning and re-editing, which is much of what these movie adaptations seem to be about.

Because fuck StrikerS.

StrikerS is the series that would benefit the most from a movie. Imagine taking most of the boring training stuff out and making the best parts about the series better. That would probably take a while though considering the best parts of StrikerS was the last quarter of the show.

cajunator

Banned
The actual, conceptual things which happen in StrikerS are fine, though. It had Some Good Ideas. It has Some Good Characters. The only real problem with it is that they completely bodged the pacing and crammed absolutely everything what's interesting about it into what ended up being a smidgen less than the last third of the series, resulting in things which really should have had more than enough time to develop being completely squandered.

It's absolutely nothing which couldn't be fixed with some judicious retconning and re-editing, which is much of what these movie adaptations seem to be about.

They're too old too. The cuteness is gone :(
Part of the fun is cute girls doing fucking badass things.

Cardfight!! Vanguard Asia Circuit ep 89 (eng dub)
tumblr_mk4l40jmFv1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mk4l40jmFv1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Team Battleweeds (good voices)ought to have lasted more than one episode as the two were really good personalities and so passionate about the environment and just plants in general. Excellent word play and etc on plants all throughout. Deck had interesting cards for the Neo Nectar clan like the Muskateers and the Lily of the Valley cards.
Kamui had a fantastic showing, Perfect Razor FTW!

Instro

From the New World END

Very good. The final episode had this sort of melancholy atmosphere. It's a pretty thoughtful approach to many of the themes and characters presented in the story. It's both hopeful and regretful in tone, and doesn't make any bones about presenting the goods and evils of both sides of the conflict.

From the New World 25 (end)

Ending was much better than I expected. Putting all that stuff at the start and then just revealing everything, flashbacks, and insights into the world at hand, history and science, really did well to close much of the stuff out for me.
Didnt think we needed to go all the way with the romance bit :( why couldnt they both still love Shun, and for Shun, why couldnt he come back to society and stuff, would have been best ending moment ever

Oh DTL. Well, at least you can assume that
they're carrying on and living together for his sake at least as much as their own.

Because fuck StrikerS.

Subaru validated StrikerS' existence, but to some degree I wish I'd never seen the original cast show up and try to be active in the same way but with bigger guns/lasers/etc. (Except Signum and Vita, because Signum and Vita.)

Jex

[From the New World] - Overall

While I would never deny that this series is a mess I might still recommend to someone depending on the circumstances. If you're interested in an extremely good science fiction story there really isn't many works in the medium of anime that are going to tickle your fancy. This series really manages to escape the well known anime/manga tropes that tend to bog down most other science fiction works. For this I greatly commend the director, Ishihama, Masashi, for making such a serious work. He made very little to attempt to play to the traditional otaku fanbase and this shows in the dismal sales that the series achieved.

It's pretty rare these days to encounter such a well thought-out sci-fi story that truly picks a strong idea that it wants to explore without: getting bogged down in a lot of nonsense or focusing too heavily on action or having awful characters or for treating the topics that the story explores like black and white issues. From the New World is remarkable in how it deftly avoids falling into all these popular traps. As some have already said, just take a look at Pyscho Pass to see how a work can flounder terribly by succumbing to such problems. In the end what it comes down to is that From the New World treats it's core concept with respect and treats the audience like adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom