• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Mahou Yuugi ONA+OVA

This started cute but unremarkable, then got pretty strong at the tail end. Managed to be pretty meta and showed it had some interesting ideas that could have been properly developed were it not just an ONA.

Pretear 1-13 END

s59TLim.jpg

5 Yayoi KYAAAAAAs out of 5
Actual score: 4/5

One of the more transparently shoujo anime I've seen since Fushigi Yuugi. While that in itself is fun, Junichi Satou helped make it a joy to watch with all his usual touches.

I told you guys to watch Pretear!
Well at least you liked it. The way Himeno initially reacts when they tell her what "preating" is. Its so mahou shoujo it hurts but its really great despite being short.

Madoka Rebellion Blu-ray landed in UK ladies and fellas.

http://imgur.com/a/jzJUp

NH16KAp.jpg

That looks so great packagewise. I wonder how the Us version looks.

I don't, I have a TV with a built-in DVD player (I think it's the Toshiba 19DL502B2 - 19" High Definition LED TV, I'll have to check) - other option would be to use my parents' DVD player, but I have no idea what the model/brand is.

I used to have a built in DVD-TV as well. That was the root of my anime viewing woes for a while since that built in player really wasnt very good. Had immense difficulties even watching some discs and some did not play AT ALL. I literally had to watch some 90s and 00s discs on my computers drive because that was the only device that could play those cheap discs! I dont recall others having this problem but most maybe had standalone better players. Im kind of curious how well modern players handle those old warped and flawed discs.

DiGiKerot

That looks so great packagewise. I wonder how the Us version looks.

That is it - or at least the LE version - basically. The Aniplex (Japan) version with the English subtitles is the only version of the movie in print anywhere, they're just selling quantities of it directly in the US through a couple of retailers. This doesn't mean you can't get a copy shipped to the UK from the US or Japan, though! I'm waiting for one myself...

cajunator

Banned
That is it - or at least the LE version - basically. The Aniplex (Japan) version with the English subtitles is the only version of the movie in print anywhere, they're just selling quantities of it directly in the US through a couple of retailers. This doesn't mean you can't get a copy shipped to the UK from the US or Japan, though! I'm waiting for one myself...

I already ordered it then. It was like 95$ on Rightstuf. Kind of crazy for a movie but its collectible.

RiggyRob

I used to have a built in DVD-TV as well. That was the root of my anime viewing woes for a while since that built in player really wasnt very good. Had immense difficulties even watching some discs and some did not play AT ALL. I literally had to watch some 90s and 00s discs on my computers drive because that was the only device that could play those cheap discs! I dont recall others having this problem but most maybe had standalone better players. Im kind of curious how well modern players handle those old warped and flawed discs.

I've never really been bothered about having a region free DVD player before - Studio Ghibli films have been released in the UK and there's the internet for everything else. But the original series of Fullmetal Alchemist and the complete collection of Futurama (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F77MAC2/?tag=neogaf0e-20) is making me consider getting one...

I already ordered it then. It was like 95$ on Rightstuf. Kind of crazy for a movie but its collectible.

I'm still thinking about whether to get this or the standard edition while I'm waiting for my next paycheck. I do really like that box as well and I did get the LE for the previous movies, so...

Nordicus

Gintama 22

Well now, it has definitely been a while since a recurring character was introduced. Sa-chan made an impressive entrance, but can she keep the jokes fresh?

8t7JyYU.jpg

That's just natto, you nutter

hisashiburi animegaf

so I guess I should say what I've been watching before I start asking questions

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia (aka Dusk Maiden of Amnesia)

Coming to the end of this now. After reading the manga in like a day and a half (which I adored with every fibre of my being) I've been watching the anime, which I also love. Really like how they captured Yuuko's personality. It's a bit less bleak/dark at times than the manga but they do the humour really well. And again, Yuuko is amazing. I would encourage you to read/watch this if you haven't.

Bakemonogatari

Senjougahara. All that needs to be said.

Golden Time

I put off the last few episodes (when it all started going to shit) until the last episode came out and I knew it was a happy ending. wasn't disappointed. Koko <3

Nisekoi

Big fan of the manga and been enjoying Shaft's work on the anime.

P.S. Onodera sucks, Chitoge is best girl.

Hyouka

Finally watched this and loved it. Pity we didn't get more of the what-would-undoubtedly-be-adorable romance, but still.

Hanasaku Iroha

Only a few episodes into The Adventures of Ohana's Shitty Life, so I need to get back to this, but I'm enjoying it.

-----------------------------------------

Now that that's out of the way, what adorable/fluffy romance/slice of life shows are coming out this season? I have a Crunchyroll sub, for what it's worth.

cajunator

Banned
Full Metal Panic 21

So this has turned into
a hostage situation

I cant say I didnt see this coming a million miles away but its still entertaining.
Im sure Sousuke and Mr Flirty have a plan.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic 21

So this has turned into
a hostage situation

I cant say I didnt see this coming a million miles away but its still entertaining.
Im sure Sousuke and Mr Flirty have a plan.

You know you love Kurz. He's perhaps the most kawaii cast member there is.

CorvoSol

So I was going to go and start a Hummingbird but the fact that "Gunbuster" is titled "Top wo Nerae!" instead of "Aim for the Top!" and "Giant Robo" is "Chikyuu something something" instead of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" is too stupid for me to endorse with my presence, so I'm just not gonna do that.

Narag

So I was going to go and start a Hummingbird but the fact that "Gunbuster" is titled "Top wo Nerae!" instead of "Aim for the Top!" and "Giant Robo" is "Chikyuu something something" instead of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" is too stupid for me to endorse with my presence, so I'm just not gonna do that.

Did they weeb up hummingbird too??

CorvoSol

All I know is I typed in "Gunbuster" to add to my library and instead of getting "Gunbuster" "Diebuster" or "Aim for the Top!" I got "Top wo Nerae!" 1 and 2. Should've known things were gonna go south when I started the account and it asked if I wanted to link to MAL.

cajunator

Banned

Oh no dont tell me the infection is spreading :(

But I knew Gunbuster first as "Top wo Nerae" so I dont mind that one.

Jex

Natsume Yuujinchou: Whole Series Review

I've been pushing off this series for a while now. Partially was because when I first put it into my list I was going on a romcom anime binge so the premise didn't sound too interesting. In fact around this point I also decided to largely ignore Mushishi, a very similar anime in terms of setting and execution. I'm glad I picked it back up as it was infinitely enjoyable in a very particular sense: tranquility. And not only tranquility, it managed to do this while keeping things interesting and having some amazing character interactions. Let's get down to it.

Natsume is only 'similar' to Mushi-Shi in the sense that it's also similar to Mononoke and other shows featuring some kind of spiritual detective. Also Mushi-Shi is one of the best anime ever made.

TheRancor

Hummingbird allows you to change the title language from either canonical, romanized or english.

GxoYkQy.jpg

Gbraga

What is this hummingbird thing? A way to track your backlog?

EDIT: Seems like it is. I really need to google before posting.

I'll give it a shot.

CorvoSol

Oh no dont tell me the infection is spreading :(

But I knew Gunbuster first as "Top wo Nerae" so I dont mind that one.

Honestly it was the weebifying of Giant Robo that stopped me. "The Day the Earth Stood Still" is a reference to a science fiction movie. Why would you suddenly weebify that?

Hummingbird allows you to change the title language from either canonical, romanized or english.

GxoYkQy.jpg

Oh, well, that's better. It'd've been nice to have English as the default.

TheRancor

So i changed the language but when I search for stuff some of it still has weeb'd up titles.
It acts a little weird at times, for example when the title language is set to canonical, it's Gunbuster vs. Diebuster. When it's english it's Top wo Nerae! Gekijouban. lol

cajunator

Banned
What is this hummingbird thing? A way to track your backlog?

EDIT: Seems like it is. I really need to google before posting.

I'll give it a shot.

You have a choice of MAL or Hummingbird. HB used to be better because it could import a MAL list if you already made one but in your case it wouldnt matter much.

First Crunchyroll simulcast announcement for the day: One Week Friends. Sundays at 9:00am PDT.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/04/03-1/crunchyroll-to-stream-one-week-friends-anime

---------------------------------------

Puchimas S2 ep.4

SFXJCRh.gif

Looks pretty cute. I recognize the art style somehow.

Gbraga

You have a choice of MAL or Hummingbird. HB used to be better because it could import a MAL list if you already made one but in your case it wouldnt matter much.

I like MAL's design, I think I'll go with that.

I'll probably forget about it in two weeks and stop updating my page though, but it's worth a shot.

Gbraga

i mean I'm not complaining. if it's anything like the latter half of seishun forget! then that's a good thing

but it's not available in ireland so :(

What, the Crunchyroll stream? I just use the US version, it's much better than the brazilian catalogue, and I can still use portuguese subtitles when available.

What, the Crunchyroll stream? I just use the US version, it's much better than the brazilian catalogue, and I can still use portuguese subtitles when available.

I use the U.S. one from time to time (used it for idolm@aster and tora dora which i totally forgot to mention for some reason) but it's a hassle and usually i'm just not bothered to turn on the chrome app i use.

which probably says everything about me but meh

Gbraga

I use the U.S. one from time to time (used it for idolm@aster and tora dora which i totally forgot to mention for some reason) but it's a hassle and usually i'm just not bothered to turn on the chrome app i use.

which probably says everything about me but meh

I just leave it on all the time, it doesn't affect other sites if I just set it to crunchyroll, so no reason not to.

Articalys

Full sales list for March 24-30:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=1155

Updated Winter 2014 Vol. 1 Rankings, new series/changes in bold:
*7,417 *1 Mikakunin de Shinkoukei 2014/03/19 [BD/DVD]
*7,200 *1 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren 2014/03/19 [BD/DVD]
*6,446 *1 Nisekoi 2014/03/26 [BD/DVD]
*5,917 *1 Saki Zenkoku-hen 2014/03/19 [BD/DVD] 2014/03/19 [BD/DVD]
*5,813 *1 Noragami 2014/03/26 [BD/DVD]
*4,418 *1 Witch Craft Works 2014/03/26 [BD]
*4,095 *2 Seitokai Yakuindomo* 2014/02/19 [BD/DVD]
*3,611 *1 Super Sonico the Animation 2014/03/19 [BD/DVD]
*3,398 *1 Maken-ki! 2 2014/03/28 [BD/DVD]
*2,959 *1 Wake Up, Girls! 2014/03/28 [BD]
*2,768 *1 Sekai Seifuku ~Bouryaku no Zvezda~ 2014/03/19 [BD/DVD] [&#9679;]
*2,691 *1 D-Frag! 2014/03/26 [BD/DVD] [&#9679;]
*2,555 *1 Sakura Trick 2014/03/19 [BD/DVD]
*1,977 *1 Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha. 2014/03/28 [BD/DVD] [&#9679;]
*1,742 *1 Saikin, Imouto no Yosuga Chotto Okashiinda ga. 2014/03/26 [BD/DVD] [&#9679;]
*1,141 *1 Buddy Complex 2014/03/26 [BD]

No data whatsoever (never charted):
**,*** *0 Onee-chan ga Kita 2014/03/22 [BD]
**,*** *0 pupa 2014/03/28 [BD/DVD]

A [&#9679;] symbol indicates partial data, usually meaning only BD numbers.
As a reminder, some of these might be boosted by event tickets and other bonuses, so wait for the rest of the volumes to see the series' true strength.

Couple other things:
- The Eccentric Family final average is 1,649 across seven volumes.
- Love Lab true calculated final average is somewhere around 2,700-2,800 across seven volumes; see something's post at the link for the explanation on this.
- Miss Monochrome averages 1,479 for both its BD volumes, which were released simultaneously.
- Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu BD-Box sells 2,610; less than the other two seasons' boxes, but mostly because they didn't release on BD singles ever while this one did.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Madoka Rebellion Blu-ray landed in UK ladies and fellas.

http://imgur.com/a/jzJUp

http://i.imgur.com/NH16KAp.jpg
I would buy this if there were any other options than Rightstuf. Oh well. lol

SYD 02 13 -end-

Lol.

I enjoyed s2 quite a bit, but like I said before, I'm in dire need of just a few ovas to round things out relationship wise. I don't think I can take another season... unless they pump the budget or something
I hope it did well enough for them to do their weird manga pack-in deal again. Who knows.

Still, one of my favourite anime endings in a while.

Midonin

On that note, InuNeko isn't actually starting today. A special pre-show with the voice actresses aired where regular episodes will air next week,

cajunator

Banned

As a reminder, some of these might be boosted by event tickets and other bonuses, so wait for the rest of the volumes to see the series' true strength.

Couple other things:
- Love Lab true calculated final average is somewhere around 2,700-2,800 across seven volumes; see something's post at the link for the explanation on this.
- Miss Monochrome averages 1,479 for both its BD volumes, which were released simultaneously.
- Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu BD-Box sells 2,610; less than the other two seasons' boxes, but mostly because they didn't release on BD singles ever while this one did.

Mikakunin! :D
*bouncesssssssssss

I would buy this if there were any other options than Rightstuf. Oh well. lol

I hope it did well enough for them to do their weird manga pack-in deal again. Who knows.

Still, one of my favourite anime endings in a while.

Whats wrong with Rightstuf?

Couple other things:

Mikakunin outselling Nisekoi and Kyoanus's shit.

OmakeGifAnime-MikakunindeShinkoukei-Episode3-YaySunset_zps12250a07.gif~original

That show is really a pleasure to watch. Im so glad it sold well.

This gives me hope for season 2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom