• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you're trying to defend this show and all, but the fact that you actually have to go out of your way to deflect claims like this is really sad. The casual homophobia that the anime fandom has is really off-putting sometimes and I wish people would think about the way they phrase their questions before asking them.

They're joking around so It doesn't bother me, but then again I'm not gay it might offend. I don't have homophobia but I have made it very clear that I don't go for shows with yaoi/yuri, so I guess asking me was a way to get a clear answer since the artstyle can be misleading. In fact the only yaoi homosexual pairing/shipping in anime I can currently recall that I was supportive from the get-go was Samumenco, since it was done with class.

Natsume is a pretty amazing show, if I can convince people to watch it my mission will be done.

In fact I'm going full-on psychoninja with Natsume and Great Teacher Onizuka. Mark my words people.

Branduil

I know you're trying to defend this show and all, but the fact that you actually have to go out of your way to deflect claims like this is really sad. The casual homophobia that the anime fandom has is really off-putting sometimes and I wish people would think about the way they phrase their questions before asking them.

I don't know if it's homophobia in this case as much as an acknowledgement that pandering to fujoshi(by way of boy-to-boy relationships with varying degrees of ambiguity) is a thing that exists in anime, as a counterpart to the otaku pandering in many other shows regarding girl-to-girl relationships.

cajunator

Banned
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8OSDUE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

dude... you totally gonna buy this.

already preordered :X

This brings back memories. the Japanese versions were partially diecast.

Why are people saying "anitwitter"?

Its a veeeery specific group of twitter (that Im very much a part of)

I'm just confused as to why there needs to be slang at all. Is it anything beyond people talking about anime on twitter? I think I may just be ill-informed.

Pretty much but it goes deeper. So much deeper.

The toys were always too expensive for my parents to get. And of course there was always the One Kid you knew who had all the cool toys and such and he would be hot shit to the entire class.

At least I also had the One Friend who had the power ranger toys I would always play with when I came over to their house. Ah to be nine years old again...

for me, it was the friends who had 1. Legos I didnt have 2. Power Rangers stuff 3. K'nex.

Articalys

I know I had this Power Rangers thing as a kid. Dunno where it is now; either stored in a box somwhere or gave it away to Goodwill or something years ago.

This hotel Internet is gonna drive me crazy. Ended up having to use my phone to watch anime. Anyways...

Haibane Renmei 10

Starting to notice how this show is deliberately slow paced. That's not a negative. In fact I am amazed about how well the show tells it story despite that. I am interested in what's going on and how it has progressed with its story. It's good and interesting. I hope the ending is worth it. The show is just building and building these characters but I am growing concerned that it's not gonna have that "whoa" factor when I get there. I hope I am wrong.

These last 10 episodes have been good. But it hasn't crossed into great/amazing yet.

Yuyushiki 2

i638BdhPFjM2j.jpg

i7WVBHhAIG3AK.jpg

Yuyushiki has the most freaking adorable ending credits.

I don't think you understand my question if you think there was any homophobia involved at all. This post is a bit misplaced. There is plenty of homophobia in the anime community, but not really in this thread.

Dang it only took me three episodes to bail the hell out.

What happened?

You made a wise choice shu just continues to be a whiny douche and then eps 12 (where it should have ended if a merciful god existed)happens and the show keeps going until the girls dead and i get sad as fuck.. It's like a nightmare with beautiful music.

Seriously I need to start reading reviews before i dive into a show!

Mik317

What is even guys.

No seriously...what the fuck just happened? Like I really enjoyed it but goddam. Like I never really knew what was truly happening and all of the "twists" actually got me lol.

Some things worth mentioning (spoilers)

- Mami V Homura was gdlk

-Kyuuby getting nuked and then at the end looking like he got the shit beat out him was rather cathartic.

- Have you ever loved someone so much that you became the devil?

- I think I enjoyed this more than the series if only because Madoka ironically wasnt the main focus. She is a rather weak lead IMO.

- I spent half the movie going...wait but that isn't how it happened in the show and then the movie began to explain. Thought that was pretty cool actually
Highly recommended. I enjoyed the series (outside of some ..."anime as fuck" moments I guess) but this was pretty damn good IMO.

You made a wise choice shu just continues to be a whiny douche and then eps 12 (where it should have ended if a merciful god existed)happens and the show keeps going until the girls dead and i get sad as fuck.. It's like a nightmare with beautiful music.

But episode 12 was pretty great in its hilarious insanity. It's the only good thing about the show.

Don't make that mistake again, trust the reviews. For example SAO, which is an amazing show through and through and never gets shitty.

edit: the amount of people jumping into the Toradora bandwagon makes me really happy. The more the merrier.

cajunator

Banned
Don't make that mistake again, trust the reviews. For example SAO, which is an amazing show through and through and never gets shitty.

edit: the amount of people jumping into the Toradora bandwagon makes me really happy. The more the merrier.

I wouldnt even be able to type that with a straight face.

Gazoinks

Mushishi 26 END

This is a really great series. Why did I stop halfway through? I have no idea! If you're not already (and I've seen a bunch of people catching up), you should definitely watch this show. It's poignant, beautiful, at times funny, frequently sad, and really good! I'll watch the special tomorrow.

Alright.

Ready?

All aboard the Friday hype train! Choo choo!

Syrinx

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy OVA 3

Wait, was Misa's attack a swastika? And was her and Sammy's dual attack really called "Pixie Pretty Sexual Coquettish Fire"?

Episode was a bit hard to follow through the first half. Only thing where I really knew what was going on was the side-story of Ryoko kidnapping Tenchi and Ayeka coming for him and such, but things became pretty clear over time.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Magical Girl Pretty Sammy OVA 3

Wait, was Misa's attack a swastika? And was her and Sammy's dual attack really called "Pixie Pretty Sexual Coquettish Fire"?
It's just a mashup of each of their attacks. Pretty Coquettish Bomber + Pixy Sexual Fire. The fact that Sammy draws power from kawaii/moe and Pixy Misa draws power from sexiness is elaborated on in the TV show. In fact, the OVA itself is pretty much a rough draft for what the TV show does more confidently on its own. Most importantly, Pixy Misa becomes a MUCH better character and steals scenes wholesale, while Sasami herself isn't a slouch either. By episode 3 you should see exactly what I mean.

What is even guys.

No seriously...what the fuck just happened? Like I really enjoyed it but goddam. Like I never really knew what was truly happening and all of the "twists" actually got me lol.

Some things worth mentioning (spoilers)

- Mami V Homura was gdlk

-Kyuuby getting nuked and then at the end looking like he got the shit beat out him was rather cathartic.

- Have you ever loved someone so much that you became the devil?

- I think I enjoyed this more than the series if only because Madoka ironically wasnt the main focus. She is a rather weak lead IMO.

- I spent half the movie going...wait but that isn't how it happened in the show and then the movie began to explain. Thought that was pretty cool actually
Highly recommended. I enjoyed the series (outside of some ..."anime as fuck" moments I guess) but this was pretty damn good IMO.

Haha yes! Another approval for Madoka Rebellion!

The Homura-is-a-witch twist and the ending got me too.

Gazoinks

Galaxy Express 999 8

Tetsuro's growing, good for him. He'll have windswept hair covering one of his eyes any day now.

Ryuz maybe you would have friends if you didn't kill everyone you meet. But your story was sad so I feel sympathy for you. And you're better now.

But come on Baron Clock was obviously a jerk. Dude sits around ominously swishing whine. Wears a monocle. Hangs out around windmills. IS NAMED CLOCK. No good.

Her backstory about mechanical bodies as fashion reminded me of that one episode of Kaiba. Or the other way around since this series came out over 25 years earlier. :p There's definitely an influence there though.

For good reason!

It was a good anime, but if Toradora had a needless twist at the end, After Story had an even greater one.

I really liked After Story's ending because it built towards that end literally from the opening scene and OP of Clannad. It made sense in the context of the story/world and we were given closure. It was satisfying.

Toradora's ending did not give closure nor did they build towards that undeserving and unneeded twist. It came from left field, was rash and impulsive. Just like every other decision made by the kids in that show. It was unsatisfactory.

cajunator

Banned
But not on AnimeGAF. The Toradora bandwagon is quite large itself outside AnimeGAF.

You know what anime doesn't get enough love? Air Gear and Kenichi. (even though both have cliffhanger endings. :,( )

Air Gear <3
I never finished it though. I bought it a long time ago SAVE edition.

But not on AnimeGAF. The Toradora bandwagon is quite large itself outside AnimeGAF.

You know what anime doesn't get enough love? Air Gear and Kenichi. (even though both have cliffhanger endings. :,( )

Considering how Air Gear becomes almost completely incoherent, it ending on a cliffhanger isn't so bad. Though it would be nice to see more of it animated just to find out how the hell any studio would tackle such visual nonsense.

I really liked After Story's ending because it built towards that end literally from the opening scene and OP of Clannad. It made sense in the context of the story/world and we were given closure. It was satisfying.

Toradora's ending did not give closure nor did they build towards that undeserving and unneeded twist. It came from left field, was rash and impulsive. Just like every other decision made by the kids in that show. It was unsatisfactory.

Hm? If I recall correctly the
incident with Taiga moving away was cleared up when she came back at the end. Granted when I first watched it I was still in 'wtf/facepalm' mode at the marriage proposal itself but calling every other decision made by the characters in the series as irrational is a bit hyperbole don't you think?

After Story's ending/resolution did give closure true but
pulling out the deus ex machina of resurrection of Nagisa and Ushio (and in addition with the time rewind) cheapened the growth of Tomoya. Sure he still remembered all of it, but you can essentially simplify the entire growth of half a season as a 'dream'. And yes said deus ex machina was hinted at throughout the series but it still doesn't give the excuse to nullify a main character's entire growth arc(s), plus it painfully showed the VN aspects of which the show derived from, if it wasn't apparent from the first season of Clannad, if one took a moment to do a quick analysis (Tears/Glowing Orbs you must collect to unlock best ending by solving each character's problems!)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You know what has a satisfying, complete, no-bullshit ending? Maison Ikkoku.

Video Girl Ai also wasn't a bad show from what I remember.

Air Gear <3
I never finished it though. I bought it a long time ago SAVE edition.

Considering how Air Gear becomes almost completely incoherent, it ending on a cliffhanger isn't so bad. Though it would be nice to see more of it animated just to find out how the hell any studio would tackle such visual nonsense.

Bunch of Air Gear love but no Kenichi love? :(

Air Gear was just fun to watch. The goal was clear from the start and the main character set out to accomplish it. It had some quirky characters that you grew to love.
Kenichi though. Man oh man. It is still to this day my roommates favorite anime. He loves comedy and stories about weak characters growing into badasses. Which Kenichi had in spades. I give it a watch every now and then. It's still really good.

Maison Ikkoku 18
Time passes pretty quickly in this. It's been over a year and there's 78 episodes left. I wonder if they'll keep this pace. Will it be 8 years of "will they/won't they?"

cajunator

Banned

I remember pics of the manga showing a complete shift in form and appearance of the show.
It didnt make much sense to me at all.

Bunch of Air Gear love but no Kenichi love? :(

Air Gear was just fun to watch. The goal was clear from the start and the main character set out to accomplish it. It had some quirky characters that you grew to love.
Kenichi though. Man oh man. It is still to this day my roommates favorite anime. He loves comedy and stories about weak characters growing into badasses. Which Kenichi had in spades. I give it a watch every now and then. It's still really good.

I liked parts of the Kenichi anime, but the fact a good chunk of the series is a giant training arc is kind of a turn-off for me.

Hm? If I recall correctly the
incident with Taiga moving away was cleared up when she came back at the end. Granted when I first watched it I was still in 'wtf/facepalm' mode at the marriage proposal itself but calling every other decision made by the characters in the series is a bit hyperbole don't you think?

After Story's ending/resolution did give closure true but
pulling out the deus ex machina of resurrection of Nagisa and Ushio (and in addition with the time rewind) cheapened the growth of Tomoya. Sure he still remembered all of it, but you can essentially simplify the entire growth of half a season as a 'dream'. And yes said deus ex machina was hinted at throughout the series but it still doesn't give the excuse to nullify a main character's entire growth arc(s), plus it painfully showed the VN aspects of which the show derived from, if it wasn't apparent from the first season of Clannad, if one took a moment to do a quick analysis (Tears/Glowing Orbs you must collect to unlock best ending by solving each character's problems!)

The thing was that it basically put all the characters back at
square one and diminished any advancement those characters had in the previous episodes. That end was basically the start of episode 1 all over again except this time Ryuji and Taiga knew who they liked
. And yeah what I said was a bit over the top but it was more to emphasize the point of how bad that last twist was.

I don't agree with the Clannad assessment at all. You say "well yeah sure he grew" but in your next sentence go "it nullified his growth". No it didn't. He
learned the lesson and understood that to love and lose is better then to have not loved at all with an emphasis on cherishing family
. Can you tell me that you were disappointed? Sure. You cannot say though that Tomoya
did not grow as a character and didn't learn that lesson. Because he did and they showed he did in literally in the same episode and the episode after

After Story's ending was not only better written and had more foresight, it also had a better and clearer message to tell the viewer then what Toradora gave.

Quasar

I eagerly await a possible new season.

Yeah. With the new OVA (and Mushishi gettinhg a second season) I really hope it happens.

The entire series of Natsume Yuujinchou gets a 9.5/10
Woofdawg seal of approval.

Yeah. I adored this anime. It was my anime of the year for last year. And my adoration for it think caused my issues with Mushishi, as I tried to watch it straight after but frankly would have preferred watching more Natsume.

Now of course I need to make a second rushed attempt at Mushishi so I can watch season 2.

I liked parts of the Kenichi anime, but the fact a good chunk of the series is a giant training arc is kind of a turn-off for me.

What my roommate pointed out was that after he would be taught something the show would put him in a situation where he applied what he learned that episode. It was a clever way to show that what he was learning each episode wasn't for nothing. And quite frankly I am inclined to agree with my roommate.

The thing was that it basically put all the characters back at
square one and diminished any advancement those characters had in the previous episodes. That end was basically the start of episode 1 all over again except this time Ryuji and Taiga knew who they liked

I can see
the time gap of Taiga's absence putting the relationship on hold or even setting it back a bit but not by a great deal as you state. Ami had already accepted Taiga/Ryuuji as she was getting tired of obvious attraction they were constantly denying. Kitamura is a no brainer as his growth had nothing to do with being romantically interested in Taiga. Minori I could see having lingering feelings but her character is already coming to terms during the end. Now as for Taiga and Ryuuji themselves, their affection had already been acknowledged by one another and since they are not Chuunibyou's Rikka/Yuta I'd say from where the series left off their relationship will grow and maintain a stable foundation.

I don't agree with the Clannad assessment at all. You say "well yeah sure he grew" but in your next sentence go "it nullified his growth". No it didn't. He
learned the lesson and understood that to love and lose is better then to have not loved at all with an emphasis on cherishing family
. Can you tell me you were disappointed? Sure. You cannot say though that Tomoya
did not grow as a character and didn't learn that lesson. Because he did and they showed he did in literally in the same episode and the episode after

After Story's ending was not only better written and had more foresight, it had a better and clear message to tell the viewer then what Toradora gave.

You kindly left out the
the deus ex machina
which bridged those two sentences.
Maybe resurrection I can be fine with but reverting the timeline back to the birth of Ushio but being able to retain all the memories from the 'alternate' timeline would seem like an extravagant/intense dream right? Forgive me on my use of the word 'nullify' as the closer term was 'cheapen' (though I did state this term first) to describe in the incident imo. It might just be me but 'dream-growth' doesn't really do it for me and feels really underhanded, no matter how much it was hinted at during the series.

Note that since we are dealing with time here, there is a difference of character growth from a time-travel focus than that of a singular instance of time-travel focus. The difference being the former allows a better ease of understanding due to being able to see the effects of repeated instances of time-travel (such as Steins;Gate and Madoka Magika) upon a character rather than a singular instance where a rational/sane mind would most likely dismiss it as a dream or something very similar.

cajunator

Banned
Full Metal Panic 20

The terrorist guy is wreaking havoc on an island.
Sousuke and his team are sent to fight and
cause his surrender but at the expense of severely injuring Melissa

wonzo

Banned
Nandaka Velonica 9

nandakavelonica9.jpg

They probably just realised there's only one episode left and I don't think even dumplings are gonna help ease the pain. :(

nandakavelonica9a.jpg

Puchimas!! 3

puchimasus23.png

the face of utter annihiliation

cnet128

Banned
Ha ha ha

Ha ha

I just put 18 shows from Spring on my Plan to Watch list. 2 of which I'll have to catch up on already (Mushishi and JoJo, and I still need to watch GBF).

Ha ha

Ha ha ha

I'm insane.

Welcome to my world.

(Well, actually I have more like 30 on my to-watch list, but you're getting there!)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Toradora Episode 10
I'm wondering if minori got the real metaphor or not behind the "wanting to show you ghosts" thing ryuuji was hinting at her, especially when its her own metaphor, as she did mention something about him "changing her life" or something. which is still pretty open-ended

phaze

Saint Seiya Omega 97(End)

. This arc was total ass on a lot of levels, too many to list, and the final fight doesn't even come close to Koga vs Abzu.

Unless you're a seriously diehard fan of all things Seiya, I wouldn't watch the Pallasite arc even to kill time. But everyone figured that out nearly a year ago already.

My childhood demands I get back to this eventually. ;_; Dropped it at episode 63 or so with the Libra Saint fight. Shame about the fights, Koga vs Abzu was one of the very few good ones in the first arc.

Fate/Stay Night 3-10

Glacial pacing and Shirou women troubles. Urgh His voice is so annoying it made me consider going dub for the first time.

Not sure why Zouken needed Sakura if he had Shinji to take over the family bussiness.

Ryuuroden

Oh great! Storys always collapse into incoherence. Just look at tenjo tenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom