• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So I guess you like Gary Stu protagonists except Kirito.

Code:Breaker protag's not a gary stu by any means. He's a jackass anti-hero who's incredibly entertaining because of just how seriously he takes himself when he's really just a cartoonishly angsty and insensitive nutcase. He's not perfect, or a prodigy, or universally admired by everyone.

duckroll

AKU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nVqnvKW.gif

Dead

well not really...yet
duckroll, did you know Kyoda has turned to songwriting!

Dude is co-writing a couple of the songs on Koji Nakamura's upcoming solo album.

Baby Steps 02

xb90VNKl.jpg

I feel like all the tennis stuff is pretty interesting. I like how this guy is trying to analyze how to play well and I like his hard work.

All the romance crap is pretty bad though. I have no interest in it and really gets in the way. Maybe that's why most sports show don't have romance cause the girls aren't interesting.

This still feels like a maybe.

duckroll

duckroll, did you know Kyoda has turned to songwriting!

Dude is co-writing a couple of the songs on Koji Nakamura's upcoming solo album.

ROFLMAO. Really? That's pretty cool. Hopefully his song writing is better than his script writing! :p

He's also storyboarded the Captain Earth ED, and he's storyboarding and unit directing the new Mizushima CG movie at Toei/Graphinica written by Urobuchi (rip!!!!!).

So I guess you like Gary Stu protagonists except Kirito.

Gary Stus are fine when they're fun like the dude from Mondaiji Tachi. Kirito is not fun.

That being said, neither is Ogami from Code:Breaker. He is an infuriating unapologetic asshole that significantly brings down the otherwise fun cast and ruins an alright premise.

Dead

well not really...yet
ROFLMAO. Really? That's pretty cool. Hopefully his song writing is better than his script writing! :p

He's also storyboarded the Captain Earth ED, and he's storyboarding and unit directing the new Mizushima CG movie at Toei/Graphinica written by Urobuchi (rip!!!!!).
Yeah heh, it's an album with a bunch of guest writers

http://www.nakamurakoji.net/

I think it's actually kinda cool as the dude must have obviously been a huge Supercar fan, and ended up working with the leader of that band like years later. Must be a dream come true for him lol

Quasar

Baby Steps 02

I feel like all the tennis stuff is pretty interesting. I like how this guy is trying to analyze how to play well and I like his hard work.

All the romance crap is pretty bad though. I have no interest in it and really gets in the way. Maybe that's why most sports show don't have romance cause the girls aren't interesting.

This still feels like a maybe.

The romance is the only reason why I'm watching, and I expect as it goes more sport heavy I'll drop it. Which is probably why the only 'sport' anime I've like (well aside from Chihayafuru) is Suzuka and that's because the sport was mostly just the backdrop.

The romance is the only reason why I'm watching, and I expect as it goes more sport heavy I'll drop it. Which is probably why the only 'sport' anime I've like (well aside from Chihayafuru) is Suzuka and that's because the sport was mostly just the backdrop.

I don't think Suzuka even qualifies as a sport anime. There's barely any attention paid to the sport aspect.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I just had a great idea that wouldn't work anymore because the time is passed.

What we should've done for April Fools was to all switch to QT "Is that your final dandy?" avatars.

Quasar

I don't think Suzuka even qualifies as a sport anime. There's barely any attention paid to the sport aspect.

Its about athletes, and some of the story is about their training and participation in said sport. It doesn't show endless scenes of people playing the sport though.

One Week Friends 01 - 02

Hey look I found my first spring anime I like. Spring 2014 isn't a lost cause it seems!

So far this show is doing an excellent job of depicting the concept of amnesia with both the warm and tragic feels. In particular
the scene where Fujimiya pleading to God in the diary really hit home for me in the
despair aspect.

Already a better amnesia story than Golden Time ever was, here's hoping no stupid ghost plot device shows up in the future.

Soul Eater Not! 01

Despite this being bland and boring, dunno I guess the whole world of Soul Eater somehow makes it watchable? Or I guess I'm just barely willing to watch this weekly.

Just to let you know, the attraction between the two is always there but those scenes are few and far in between (manga spoilers if you wanna read)
they do hook up and make a really cute couple thought. they're genuinely in love with each other but the grand focus is on their matches. their moments together tend to be outside of matches every now and again but matches make up a big portion of the manga. It still is a sports manga through and through, but the romance is cute and sweet and makes it better

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Captain Earth I believe. Although it's not English so much as Italian.

survivor

Banned
Atelier Escha and Logy 1
Well that was a pretty decent and relaxed anime. I never played any of the Atelier games and the only thing I know about them is that they are about cute girls and alchemy so I didn't have any ideas what sort of story I was getting. I was however told that it was Aria/Tamayura but with alchemy so that helped me set my expectations and it sorta didn't disappoint in that regard. It wasn't as good as Tamayura, but it did the job fine to keep me entertained throughout the first episode.

Also I don't know if battles are a big part of the series, but based on this episode I guess not? Since they only gave that random battle like 1 second showtime and it was in a montage. So this sounds like a good thing to me. Unless of course it was a budget/time issue then that's worrying.

So what's the best/worst English usage for nonsense this season so far?

Captain Planet looks like it might try to one-up Buddy Complex for bad terms. I can't recall if they said the names in engrish or not actually. But they do have terms like Salty Dog and Libido w/e.

Man now I'm doubting myself. I hope that at least one of them was engrish.

Jex

Just a quick reminder: Monday marks the beginning of another backlog season, because why not. I, along with anyone else who wants to participate, will be watching one or more of the following shows each week, one episode at a time.

The schedule is:

Monday: Spice and Wolf
Tuesday: Patlabor Movies
Wednesday: Kino's Journey
Thursday: Crest of the Stars
Friday: The Daily Lives of High School Boys

If you're interested in any of these anime, feel free to join in!
Nice. Although there aren't that many Patlabor movies!

Baby Steps 1-2

Manga reader, so far the adaptation is pretty meh. To be fair, I wasn't that crazy about the manga at this point either. The production is pretty lackluster though. Hopefully it'll get more engaging once we hit the actual tennis. I do like how they've presented Ei-chan's character, his normality is so atypical for the protagonist of a sports show.

Link Man

Banned
Hanamaru Kindergarten 5

i23bZPPnfDFK1.jpg

Nice reference for Mature there. And speaking of references, there were actually a couple for another well-known Gainax anime in this episode.

This show is just so cute, it really does work well as a balm for the soul. Kind of had a shitty night at work tonight, but watching this has lifted my spirits considerably.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Garzey's Wing 3 END

Is that true, self? NO ONE FUCKING KNOWS

Gibberish Gibberish Gibberish

Loner = interesting? My life style confirmed.

"Suddenly he's acting like a leader!" YOU JUST FUCKING NOTICED THAT NOW FUCK

Hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Did he just say shit? :lol not in my christian anime you don't!

THE REAL WORLD PEOPLE MAKE LESS SENSE THE FANTASY WORLD PEOPLE WTF you just know how to use 'energy' wut

Whhhhhhoooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaa eeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaa jesus these yells

CHRIS, USE THIS! *NOPE, GO FUCK YOURSELF*

god this show is bad

SHOULD I KILL HIM? dude you've been wasting fuckers the whole time and now you're having second thoughts on how to kill? Cry more.

wut

WUT

WHAT THE FUCK AT THIS ENDING

What a gloriously awful ride this had been.

Brynhildr 2

Lol, they seriously gave Kana a tsundere voice synthesizer? I always imagined a standard robotic voice, but I guess it's not moe if you sound like Ned from South Park.

The ejecting is understandably censored. Wonder if it will be clearer in the BDs. There's going to be a whole lot of beams of white once the gore gets more frequent.

Articalys

Atelier whatever ep.1

God damn it I don't need more shows -- at 16 now, with only 2 or 3 realistically being drop candidates -- especially since my free time is going to almost completely vanish very soon.

Also I spent the whole episode trying to figure out who Logy reminded me of, then when it ended I looked up his seiyuu (Kaito Ishikawa) and realized the answer was Ledo from Gargantia.

Jex

haikyuu - 02

This is so polished - and so shonen - that I can't help but love it. The inevitably good natured rivalry, the father figure senpai, the token male gaze bait/girl, it's all there and it's all so damn competently done.

Gave me senba flashbacks.

I don't think I can handle what ever appears to be a very well polished, but still familiar, sports shonen series, much like Firehawk12, and I'm not quite sure why. I watch plenty of other genre works and there not that different in terms of how they stick to their traditional characters and formulas. Perhaps it just because I'm naturally not that interested in sports, but that also seems unlikely. Hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom