• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
It has every precure in the lyrics and its supremely catchy. Im not sayin the Tomorrow song isnt fantastic cause it is. Its my second favorite.

Cool, I will try to join in for Patlabor. I picked up those heavy and thick DVD sets on Amazon last year for like 8 bucks each. They're still sealed lol :(

I watched and loved the first one, but I still haven't gotten around to the second one, so I'll probably join in for that one at least.

First movie is one of the best anime movies I've seen, so hopefully everyone who hasn't seen it yet will really enjoy that one.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I forgot to ask this last Sunday, but with the new Love Live season under way and HaCha several weeks old by now, have there been any changes in the CG dancing rankings between LL, Precure, and Aikatsu?

Love Live's is still dead last. Janky and the constant switching between 2D and 3D during performances still looks like crap.

Aikatsu's CG has gotten significantly better, but the faces aren't as expressive as Precure's and in some performances the characters' mouths don't even move. They're still really good in terms of realistically emulating the look of 2D animation in anime style.

This is basically what Aikatsu is capable of currently.

Precure CG went Super Saiyan with Hacha. It's so good now that some in-show finishers are now CG without breaking immersion. See: Cherry Flamenco, Macadamia Hula Dance, Popcorn Cheer. This season, Toei's opted for a less cel-shaded look that also uses more variable line width and better clothing/hair physics, and it's pretty damned impressive, especially in retrospective comparison to where it began.

Meanwhile, Pretty Rhythm is...........Pretty Rhythm.

Wasn't that the ending where they're being happy while a broadcast about people dying appeared during the credits?
I got a lot of RTs for that!
ipAfpQ7kzqEhY.jpg

Syrinx

I remember Love Live's OP from the two epiisodes I watched was ugly as shit. So choppy. Thought Crunchyroll was crapping out on me.

sonicmj1

Mahouka

Harem-action show characters, actually act like people? Seriously, has that ever happened? I mean, I entirely agree with you that they do not act like people, but that's pretty much par for the course in a lot of anime, unfortunately... though yeah, Mahouka is on the worse end of the scale for sure, no question. And it's a big, big problem and certainly is one of the many factors that ruin the show.

As for Miyuki, the best explanation I can think of is that since she's good at magic, clearly, they "compensate" for this -- this is, make the male hero's superiority over the female -- by having her act so incredibly stupidly around him. So yeah, I blame it all on sexism. The way she's depicted, as you describe, certainly couldn't be much more sexist; yeah, she has strong powers, and uses them sometimes, but she's obsequiously subservient to the male lead, of course. So yeah, she's strong, but don't worry, she's devoted to him and he's stronger too (as she points out constantly)! It gets incredibly hard to take, very quickly. I agree entirely on that point. (Though I do think that the incest element makes it a lot worse, too; it would still be bad without that, but that makes it worse.)

I actually came across some pretty convincing stuff relating to the basis of Tatsuya's character and his relationship with Miyuki. Since the basis has to do with his powers, I'll put it in spoilers.

The family name that Tatsuya and Miyuki go by, Shiba (シバ) is equivalent to the traditional Japanese spelling of Shiva, the Hindu deity. Tatsuya is based on Shiva, the god of destruction (his power to decompose anything, or to turn matter into destructive energy) and regeneration (his incredible healing power).

Miyuki is Shiva's wife, Parvati. She is beautiful, the ideal of feminine motherhood, and completely devoted to Shiva. They care deeply for each other. Some of the backstory implied in the first episode also parallels Shiva's history with Parvati and her prior incarnation, Sati.

It seems to me that there are a number of ways in which the parallels cease to hold, or at least hold more strongly for Tatsuya than his sister (for example,
Parvati is often presented as more powerful than Shiva, and the only one capable of keeping him in check
), but there's enough there to think the author had it in mind.

I can't tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ace of Diamond 27

Jesus that was some Oofuri level pacing. Literally spent an entire episode on one half of a total inning.

And it looks like next week is recap too. Great.

Syrinx

Okay, And Yet The Town Moves, I like you so far and all, but you really need to cut it out with these translator's notes and shit. I've seen like, four so far.

Gazoinks

Okay, And Yet The Town Moves, I like you so far and all, but you really need to cut it out with these translator's notes and shit. I've seen like, four so far.

Not as bad as Gintama!

Translator's note: Gintama is a popular comedy anime series based on a shonen manga by Hideaki Sorachi.

FMA: Brotherhood Rewatch 1-10

Hiromu Arakawa is absolutely amazing. The ability to create both FMA and Silver Spoon is astonishing. How many manga artists can go from an action fantasy tale to a story about farming life while upholding incredible quality.

This is what should be found as a DVD/BD extra on the retail discs. I really liked what Nozomi/Right Stuf did for the linear notes on The Irresponsible Captain Tylor DVDs.

Midonin

This is what should be found as a DVD/BD extra on the retail discs. I really liked what Nozomi/Right Stuf did for the linear notes on The Irresponsible Captain Tylor DVDs.
I noticed the same thing when I was watching To Heart recently. It's how things are done with modern manga releases, and it makes sense to do it for videos. Put the notes in a place where they won't interfere with the actual viewing experience.

I noticed the same thing when I was watching To Heart recently. It's how things are done with modern manga releases, and it makes sense to do it for videos. Put the notes in a place where they won't interfere with the actual viewing experience.

This is a good thing considering the amount of text from linear notes for Nozomi's releases. All the text probably wouldn't even fit on the screen otherwise.

Quasar

Watched the short film Harmonie last night.

Was pretty enjoyable. Actually wish it was a series.

I really wanted to know more about Juri and her dreams and all, just like the MC.

Do these Mirai short films ever get turned into bigger projects?

survivor

Banned
One Week Friends 2
Wow, this episode was a big improvement over the first and I liked it much more. It continued the warm and fuzzy feelings from the previous episode, but the last 5 mins of it essentially covered what I wanted to get out of the series and I'm really glad they went there pretty fast. Of course having not read the manga I have no idea how heavy the drama will be concerning the diary and her memories, but I sure hope the show covers similar scenes in the future.

In general while I'm fine with the idea of the two friends beginning their relationship anew each week and having different adventures in a laid back atmosphere, I like it more when the story explores Fujimiya's amnesia in a serious manner in a way that contrasts heavily with the show's overall warm feelings.

duckroll

How do guys feel about the anime of Code Breaker, and if you have read the manga do you think it's good?

Read a bit of the manga, felt it was total garbage. Hate the art. The anime was really enjoyable though. They hammed up the cheese factor, made it pretty funny, and focused a lot of the story on the bro factor of it being a bunch of guys with superpowers fighting evil. Like a Japanese X-Men. Really nice action and effects animation too. The fire and lightning stuff was great.

Syrinx

And Yet The Town Moves 2

Damn, Granny is one stone-cold motherfucker, how she got Hotori to work for her.

Lol she nailed a cop in the balls with a motor scooter. You'd think that he'd arrest the shit out of her considering all those infractions she was committing riding that thing coupled with the fact that she hit him with it in the balls, and yet he didn't. That's a righteous cop right there. She should be thankful.

Hototi's home life seems fun. I like how every time Yukiko starts to cry her brother just goes "Mom, onee-chan did it!". What an asshole.

cajunator

Banned
Some shows used to come with booklets explaining stuff. Azumanga daioh for example had a booklet explaining the jokes instead of cluttering the subs with it.

I've read the Code;Breaker manga. I mean I'm caught up with it. It's cheese bad and it has horrible writing, but I'm still attracted to it. The main guy is shone action gary stu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom