• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Just a quick reminder: Monday marks the beginning of another backlog season, because why not. I, along with anyone else who wants to participate, will be watching one or more of the following shows each week, one episode at a time.

The schedule is:

Monday: Spice and Wolf
Tuesday: Patlabor Movies
Wednesday: Kino's Journey
Thursday: Crest of the Stars
Friday: The Daily Lives of High School Boys

If you're interested in any of these anime, feel free to join in!

Dresden

baby steps - 02

Guess I'm dropping this one. There's nothing interesting about this - it's a bland looking show with bland leads and nothing to hook the viewer outside of the promise of romance, but I'm not really interested in that aspect when the people involved are so dull. The girl has some potential assuming that the show goes through with her ambitions of going pro, but my guess is that it takes a backseat to main guy's struggles, anyways.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
one week friends 2

shit is gonna go all KEY rip my heart out eventually eh? ;_;

But its soooo adorable. im so sad in advance :(

ibluCoIXXS3zLq.gif

iWE9t4Mc1r835.gif

D'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!! :3

Ended up dropping Baby Steps, just uninteresting and ugly artwork, while not really having a story that makes it worth following or being anything entertainment wise, probably what I would consider worst of the season, though somehow still sticking with Daimidaler until it gets too ecchi.

Hey guys, so I just finished Sword Art Online in one day. Yeah, it's a mixed bag like everyone says it is. Still, watching anything that's as idealistic as SAO was makes you wonder about the possibilities and riles you up emotionally. Poorly written, but made me think about life in general...almost reminded me of 5 Centimeters per Second (I know not everyone is a fan of this).

Kind of surprised such a disappointing anime was able to do that. Really upset that it didn't meet its potential at all.

Anyone want to recommend other anime that has high stakes but with an actual well-written romance and story in general? I think I would gravitate towards that stuff more now that I think about it.

Fate/Zero has excellent writing, characters and an underlying heartbreaking romance story within it. Cannot recommend this enough.

If you haven't, watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Another high stakes story. While romance isn't as key as say SAO, it's still there sprinkled throughout the show and becomes an important force to push the lead character.

If you want a good story about love, not necessarily romantic kind but family-wise, watch The Eccentric Family and Kyousougiga (TV). For the latter make sure you watch the 2013 version.

While a bit on the cheesy side at times, I also recommend Romeo X Juliet . It's a fantasy interpretation of the timeless tale but the romance in it is fairly well done and also heartbreaking. When i say fantasy btw I mean specifically it's a bit more King Arthur-like in its presentation, but it happens to have magic and pegasus.

If you don't mind reading, I'd recommend the Berserk manga to anybody. Arguably the best manga around a big driving force for the lead is love. It's also fairly long (though not over and slow to update) and again it has high stakes.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Just a quick reminder: Monday marks the beginning of another backlog season, because why not. I, along with anyone else who wants to participate, will be watching one or more of the following shows each week, one episode at a time.

The schedule is:

Cool, I will try to join in for Patlabor. I picked up those heavy and thick DVD sets on Amazon last year for like 8 bucks each. They're still sealed lol :(

The schedule is:

Spice and Wolf and Kino's Journey are both on my backlog, so I might as well join you on those.

cnet128

Banned
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 2

Tatsuya so OP. I hope we get an explanation next episode of what the hell actually happened at the end there, though judging from all the talk about how wordy and expository this series loves to be, I probably don't have anything to worry about in that regard.

After all the disparaging talk I've read around here about the show's casually-accepted discrimination elements, though, I was pleasantly surprised to see in this episode that the Discipline Committee President is firmly against this discrimination based on ability and taking steps to combat it. It was also nice to have confirmation that the "Weed" moniker is considered the insulting nickname it sounds like, not a neutral or (god forbid) official term.

The schedule is:

Hmm, not sure how much I'll be able to participate due to not necessarily being able to watch a show on its designated day, but I guess I'll try for Kino's Journey at least .I wonder if there would be any interest if I started a separate thread for an anime book club kind of thing, where we would watch through just one show at a time - that would allow for some more flexibility in viewing schedules, allow for longer shows than the "backlog season" format does, and collect relevant discussion in a place where it wouldn't get lost amidst all the other discussion that goes on in this thread.

Syrinx

The schedule is:

I might do Nichibros but I'm not sure yet.

sonicmj1

Hmm, not sure how much I'll be able to participate due to not necessarily being able to watch a show on its designated day, but I guess I'll try for Kino's Journey at least .I wonder if there would be any interest if I started a separate thread for an anime book club kind of thing, where we would watch through just one show at a time - that would allow for some more flexibility in viewing schedules, allow for longer shows than the "backlog season" format does, and collect relevant discussion in a place where it wouldn't get lost amidst all the other discussion that goes on in this thread.

If you can find a format that works for it, I'd definitely participate.

wmlk

Fate/Zero has excellent writing, characters and an underlying heartbreaking romance story within it. Cannot recommend this enough.

If you haven't, watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Another high stakes story. While romance isn't as key as say SAO, it's still there sprinkled throughout the show and becomes an important force to push the lead character.

If you want a good story about love, not necessarily romantic kind but family-wise, watch The Eccentric Family and Kyousougiga (TV). For the latter make sure you watch the 2013 version.

While a bit on the cheesy side at times, I also recommend Romeo X Juliet . It's a fantasy interpretation of the timeless tale but the romance in it is fairly well done and also heartbreaking. When i say fantasy btw I mean specifically it's a bit more King Arthur-like in its presentation, but it happens to have magic and pegasus.

If you don't mind reading, I'd recommend the Berserk manga to anybody. Arguably the best manga around a big driving force for the lead is love. It's also fairly long (though not over and slow to update) and again it has high stakes.

I get this strange idea that I have to watch the rest of the series if I watch Fate/Zero. From what I hear, FSN is not as good as Fate/Zero.

That has been on the top of my list for a while, though. I like watching anime that's already completed since I can go at my own pace (which usually means watching the entire season in one sitting :p), and if it's a series then I want all of it to be good.

Narag

I get this strange idea that I have to watch the rest of the series if I watch Fate/Zero. From what I hear, FSN is not as good as Fate/Zero.

lol no, ignore DEEN F/SN and instead wait for the ufotable adaptation after watching F/Z if you absolutely must. Could just watch F/Z and be done with it.

Articalys

I forgot to ask this last Sunday, but with the new Love Live season under way and HaCha several weeks old by now, have there been any changes in the CG dancing rankings between LL, Precure, and Aikatsu?

cajunator

Banned

The schedule is:

solid choices for backlog.

That has been on the top of my list for a while, though. I like watching anime that's already completed since I can go at my own pace (which usually means watching the entire season in one sitting :p), and if it's a series then I want all of it to be good.

Avoid FSN. its far inferior to FZ. not to say I wasnt a fan cause I definitely am because I love anything with Saber in it but you will be better served waitung for ufotable adaptation.

Eusis

Cool, I will try to join in for Patlabor. I picked up those heavy and thick DVD sets on Amazon last year for like 8 bucks each. They're still sealed lol :(
Mother fucker I missed that.
Avoid FSN. its far inferior to FZ. not to say I wasnt a fan cause I definitely am because I love anything with Saber in it but you will be better served waitung for ufotable adaptation.
I'd like to check out FSN... as a visual novel. Preferably I'd want the Vita one brought over by Aksys or whoever's willing, it seems the barriers for bringing those over are cracking a bit and that's one of the more high profile ones.

As for the anime, yeah, FZ has my interest due to being an original anime creation AND being very highly regarded. Don't care to see the prior adaption.

Shengar

The schedule is:

I might join for Kino no Tabi only.

Gazoinks

The schedule is:

In for at least S&W and Nichibros, maybe Patlabor and CotS as well depending on schedule stuff.

Rider x Waver, the greatest love story ever told.

Truth

I was thinking more along the lines of Kiritsugu x Albino chick, but yeah that too. One of the few yaoi pairings I think is canon. As to having to watch the other series to get it, yes and no. They do a massive infodump in the first episode which is like 40 minutes long. Pay a lot of attention as this is crucial for the rest of the series. If you're still confused you could always google the basics of the holy grail war and how it works, but they did a decent job explaining it.

Mature

And Yet The Town Moves 1

This is the second maid cafe show I've watched, the other being the (shitty) Maid-Sama!, which at the very least this show has to be better than.

Wasn't huge early on with the whole concept of "maiding up the maid cafe" (really, that seemed like a classy place. I'd go there.), but I did think the part where their teacher tracked them down to the cafe was funny. Liked when she was doing that faux-clumsy routine and he was like "How do you confuse coffee with soda? Coffee is brewed in a coffee maker. You did that on purpose, didn't you?", and then giving her the lecture about her absurd behavior and how dangerous soda-related pranks are. The contrast between his stick-in-the-mud attitude and the atmosphere they were trying to create was entertaining.
Sugita's Moriaki is a thing of beauty.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I forgot to ask this last Sunday, but with the new Love Live season under way and HaCha several weeks old by now, have there been any changes in the CG dancing rankings between LL, Precure, and Aikatsu?
I dunno, but HapCha's ED CG is actually pleasant to look at, unlike some previous Precure EDs.

Actually upon looking at things a little more closely, she might have just ended up that way due the the anime original ending to tie up the OVAs loose ends. Thought I read it borrowed elements from the third and fourth novel to help close it out but unsure if that was taken.
Oh, I'm sure it was done because of lazy, stereotyped writing -- 'we need to do something to get the MC to want to win, so how about the main heroine gets captured' or something. That doesn't excuse it, though.

I was scrubbing through the eps just to see what was what and laughing at those.
Yeah, they're great. :)

Mahouka 1

I just can't.

It's a shame, because it seems like Madhouse is actually doing a decent job of things. The first part may be slow-paced or inefficient, but I like the feeling of the school's airy blues and whites, and the fight in the dojo is undeniably excellent. There's very little cheating in terms of showing what's happening, and even the little way they keep it going in the background during Miyuki's conversation with the teacher is clever. If the material were decent I'd at least stick around for a while.

The problem is that the story is standard light novel dreck, down to the overpowered "stoic" protagonist, the absurd discrimination that goes almost without comment in the school, and particularly Miyuki, who I absolutely can't stand. Even if they weren't siblings, she'd still represent all the things I hate about this kind of story.

Personally, unless a tale sweeps me off my feet with a grand display of sincerity, absurdity, and hot-blooded machismo (see: Jojo, Ben-to, Giant Robo), I like it when stories are about people. They can be in any kind of world, and we can learn a lot from the setting, but the characters are what take us from a story's beginning to its end, and I feel I can draw more from tales about characters that act like humans than not. Humans are complicated, sometimes contradictory, subtle, imperfect, and interesting. When I watch how characters in a good story act in situations I've never experienced, I learn a little more about the world. They don't waste my time.

In stories like Mahouka, I don't feel like I'm dealing with people. The characters are flat types, and they exist so someone can draw them and sell merchandise with their face on it. The stories have complicated and unusual settings so Cool Things can happen to the Awesome Protagonist that men want to be and girls want to be with. But those cool things don't matter because nothing in the entire world of the story has anything to do with how humans act.

Like, what the hell is with Miyuki? Even though her brother is the picture of stoic apathy, she's like a whimpering child whenever he's around, hanging off his every word for scraps of affection, immediately deferring to anything he says. That's not love; it's subservience. Are we expected to believe her prologue justifies it? It's creepy, and it's just the worst example of how every single one-note character in this episode behaves.

Not for me. I'm done.
Harem-action show characters, actually act like people? Seriously, has that ever happened? I mean, I entirely agree with you that they do not act like people, but that's pretty much par for the course in a lot of anime, unfortunately... though yeah, Mahouka is on the worse end of the scale for sure, no question. And it's a big, big problem and certainly is one of the many factors that ruin the show.

As for Miyuki, the best explanation I can think of is that since she's good at magic, clearly, they "compensate" for this -- this is, make the male hero's superiority over the female -- by having her act so incredibly stupidly around him. So yeah, I blame it all on sexism. The way she's depicted, as you describe, certainly couldn't be much more sexist; yeah, she has strong powers, and uses them sometimes, but she's obsequiously subservient to the male lead, of course. So yeah, she's strong, but don't worry, she's devoted to him and he's stronger too (as she points out constantly)! It gets incredibly hard to take, very quickly. I agree entirely on that point. (Though I do think that the incest element makes it a lot worse, too; it would still be bad without that, but that makes it worse.)

FMP The Second Raid 13 END

Normally I find Chidori's slapstick violence a tad annoying, but here her frustration with Sousuke mirrors my own, so it's very cathartic.

Christ, Gates is an asshole.

Why hasn't that Lamda Driver-powered punch ever been an attack in Super Robot Wars? The Arbalest needs a boss-killer, aside from the Uruz team attack.

Denouement was sweet, although it's bullshit putting off the romantic development further.

This series was a major tone shift, not just from Fumoffu! but even the first season. The comedy/drama balance was shifted hard, and to the show's detriment. The latter half especially was quite a slog to get through, without even much action to leaven up the relentless drumbeat of glum introspection and existential dread. I was even looking forward to seeing Gates appear, for fuck's sake. If Film Crit Hulk is right about one thing, it's this: Don't drag out the Refusal of the Call. It just kills the pacing and annoys the audience.

The sad thing is, the show really nailed that stuff when it actually got around to doing it. The comedy was as funny as anything from the past seasons, and the finale had some of the best Real Robot style action scenes that have ever taken place in Earth's atmosphere. I just wish the balance had been struck to feature those strengths more.

If the light novels progressed further in this same direction, I don't know that I feel particularly bad about the animated adaptation just leaving off here.
The direction the LNs go after TSR basically makes TSR look like happy fun comedy hour... and that's only a slight exaggeration. It gets very dark very quickly, and I thought that the plot got completely stupid as a result. I'm glad there isn't more anime, because the story completely fell apart after S1, sadly. It's really unfortunate, because S1 and Fumoffu were so great... why couldn't it have stayed good? But no.

Went on more anime sightseeing today:

And just because it was on the way:
That's really cool. I didn't realize that even the Kanon school is a real building... it definitely would be interesting to see all that stuff in person, for sure!

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 2

Tatsuya so OP. I hope we get an explanation next episode of what the hell actually happened at the end there, though judging from all the talk about how wordy and expository this series loves to be, I probably don't have anything to worry about in that regard.
Indeed.

After all the disparaging talk I've read around here about the show's casually-accepted discrimination elements, though, I was pleasantly surprised to see in this episode that the Discipline Committee President is firmly against this discrimination based on ability and taking steps to combat it. It was also nice to have confirmation that the "Weed" moniker is considered the insulting nickname it sounds like, not a neutral or (god forbid) official term.
Do you mean the student council president? She does oppose the discrimination, but as I said in my long post,
she only wants slow change, not anything that'll have any kind of negative impact on "course one" students. Conservative stuff. And everyone is fine with that, except for those in league with terrorists. Ugh.

Arjuna makes Ferngully look subtle, and its total inability to maintain a scientific basis for its claims severely undercuts its message despite touching on many actual and important issues.
Ferngully scared me in the theater as a kid, and I've never tried to watch it since...

survivor

Banned
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 2
This episode has been really frustrating to watch. There are some moments of brilliance in the show where I think this is the sort of romcom that I enjoy, but then I get the predictable unfunny comedy scenes and I wonder why am I even watching this. While the story is still in its characters introduction phase and nothing of the potential drama has been shown, I'm a big fan of the way its presenting itself whether in its crazy colouring style or the visuals employed for a lot of the scenes. I just wish they would use less of the comedy scenes that are extremely boring to look at and just heavily contrast with the show's regular look.

There is also this cool scenery shot of the sky that I really liked. At this point, I almost wish the director would just fill the entire episode with stills of the sky and backgrounds similar to it, but since the story has been constricted to the apartment, it's hard to do.

cnet128

Banned
Captain Earth 2

Hana is best. Does anything else matter?

Well, I guess there was also DAT PUNCH. And dat cathartic defiance of authority.

Dresden

haikyuu - 02

This is so polished - and so shonen - that I can't help but love it. The inevitably good natured rivalry, the father figure senpai, the token male gaze bait/girl, it's all there and it's all so damn competently done.

Gave me senba flashbacks.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure: Battle Tendency

Amazing! Epic! Manly tears! Ect.

Sugita did an amazing job as Jospeh but since he was basically channeling Gintoki its kind of hard for it not to be amazing lol.

Now time to watch Stardust Crusaders with the rest of GAF!

cnet128

Banned
Do you mean the student council president? She does oppose the discrimination, but as I said in my long post,
she only wants slow change, not anything that'll have any kind of negative impact on "course one" students. Conservative stuff. And everyone is fine with that, except for those in league with terrorists. Ugh.

No, not the seitokaichou, the fuuki-iinchou. What's her name...*looks it up*...Watanabe Mari. The one who reprimands people for using the "Weed" moniker and wants to take Tatsuya under her wing to show that it's possible for second-class students to have authority over the elites. That's the kind of positive attitude I can get behind.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Baby Steps 2

Damn man. That ending. Dude got run over by a mack truck there. Also - I only have a few balls, so I don't want to lose any.

Still really enjoying this show. That new guy with the terrible eyebrows is terrible though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom