• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snaku

Banned
Loudoun county here, and my work is going around making sure everyone is still going to come in tomorrow. I swear capitalism has no regard for life or property.

Updated NY NWS 'most likely' and 'maximum potential' maps.

StormTotalSnowWeb.png
MaxSnowWeb.png

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Stay safe my fellow Marylanders.

If you have to drive, remember not to follow close and not to rely on your brakes at all. If you lose traction, use the gas to gain power back to turn instead!

Also I hoped you've all stocked up

bread-4.jpg

milk1.jpg

13-things-you-didn-t-know-about-yuengling

laoni

I'm an Australian visiting in Northern Delaware, right on the state line to Pennsylvania, basically. Current warnings I see for here are 1-2 feet of snow? What the hell are you even supposed to -do- with 1-2 feet of snow?!

#iamalreadydead

Loudoun county here, and my work is going around making sure everyone is still going to come in tomorrow. I swear capitalism has no regard for life or property.

That's some bullshit.

The area I live in is expecting 8-12 inches and my wife's employer expects her to go to work as well. Trust me, it's not essential that she is there, it's not an emergency room or something. Her boss's solution? "If you don't feel safe driving, I'll hire a car to bring you to and from work." As if it's the vehicle and not the conditions that make it unsafe.

Retro

Yep. I'm so dead.

(I'm in an apartment complex, so, I think they do the shovelling)

They'll clear the roads but you'll have to dig your car out, especially since the plow will push a mountain of snow against the back of everyone's car.

Also, remember folks: it isn't officially a blizzard without wind. That means whiteout conditions and blowing/drifting. You may get a foot of snow but that can drift up a LOT higher.

Fredericksburg, Virginia here.

Just got the call that my work is closed for today.

Guess too many people called out!

Too excited to go back to sleep, haha.

Selner

Moco here. Trying to work up the energy to go to work.

Rockville here. Very happy to have a garage, but I also have a relatively large, l-shaped drive way. Neighbor has a snow blower though. He usually clears everyone's driveways and side walks.

Nipo

Just got to work in DC. The Metro was nearly empty and it was the first time this week there were no delays on my commute. About 75% of the office stayed home so it should be a nice quiet day here.

I'm ready for the snow when i get home. I bought the humble bundle and plan to spend the weekend playing XCom for the first time.

Just got to work in DC. The Metro was nearly empty and it was the first time this week there were no delays on my commute. About 75% of the office stayed home so it should be a nice quiet day here.

I'm ready for the snow when i get home. I bought the humble bundle and plan to spend the weekend playing XCom for the first time.

I'm excited to go in to work for 3 hours...

laoni

They'll clear the roads but you'll have to dig your car out, especially since the plow will push a mountain of snow against the back of everyone's car.

Also, remember folks: it isn't officially a blizzard without wind. That means whiteout conditions and blowing/drifting. You may get a foot of snow but that can drift up a LOT higher.

Well, hopefully we won't need the car until the weather calms down... Boyfriend works in food service, so I'm -hoping- they don't open tomorrow, but, he's not entirely convinced.

This is a dumb question but...what do you mean by drifting? I'm sorry, literally the most snow I've seen before this is like, at a distance on mountains.

garath

Well, hopefully we won't need the car until the weather calms down... Boyfriend works in food service, so I'm -hoping- they don't open tomorrow, but, he's not entirely convinced.

This is a dumb question but...what do you mean by drifting? I'm sorry, literally the most snow I've seen before this is like, at a distance on mountains.

Drifting means the wind is going to blow the snow into massive piles far higher than the total accumulation. You could have a few feet piled up against a wall for example.

JasonS

Neo Member
I'm in Frederick, and the forecast amount seems to be creeping up. Could be as much as 3 feet, now. Still gotta to show up for work of course.

laoni

Drifting means the wind is going to blow the snow into massive piles far higher than the total accumulation. You could have a few feet piled up against a wall for example.

Ohhh, that sounds... mildly terrifying, given how much there's already going to be :|

Retro

The wind blows the snow around and against any standing structures where it can pile up much higher than the actual snowfall. Think of it like sand, how it blows into dunes... when it's snow they call it drifts.

Edit: here's an example;

georly

We're getting a forecast of 12-20" here in Kentucky...don't think I've ever seen that much snow at once lol.

The most i've ever personally seen was a foot and a half, I think. This will likely double that. My back is already crying in anticipation of the shoveling. I figure if I keep it up hourly, I'll be fine.

Today is a day where I'm so glad I can walk to work. As soon as snow starts falling I'm walking my ass home.

I'm hoping to be able to take some cool pictures today/tomorrow. The photography nerd in me is geeking out at the possibilities.

The most i've ever personally seen was a foot and a half, I think. This will likely double that. My back is already crying in anticipation of the shoveling. I figure if I keep it up hourly, I'll be fine.

It won't be enough. You will shovel a section and by time your done the previous section will be filled again. I tried to do the same in 2009-2010 and just eventually gave up.

Culex

Banned
For once being in CT pays off. For all the ass pummeling we get each winter, it's nice to make it to February and only have potentially 3 inches of snow.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in Frederick, and the forecast amount seems to be creeping up. Could be as much as 3 feet, now. Still gotta to show up for work of course.

I live in Frederick too. Work in the food industry so we're already slow seeing as how it is post new years I wonder if we'll close tonight...

Don't really want to go in to work and then have to walk home.

Jesus Christ.

I showed up for work this morning and no one was in the parking lot (and it is normally packed with cars). Free day off for under a half an inch of snow!

5SHO5TC.jpg

I moved from Maine to Memphis, TN this past summer so this is a new one on me.

Retro

...Hold me ;n;

That's kind of an extreme example, it ain't get that bad for us (I'm just a tad south of you) but it could drift 2-3 feet against cars and such. Depending on how your apartment is, you might have it drift waist deep against the door.

georly

It won't be enough. You will shovel a section and by time your done the previous section will be filled again. I tried to do the same in 2009-2010 and just eventually gave up.

Yeah, i've shoveled in snow like that, but that storm was also only for one night, so it was manageable. I doubt i'll be able to keep this up for nearly 48 hours.

My girlfriend just left for work, fully expecting to leave at 11 so she can get home before it gets too bad. I don't know why so many businesses are even bothering to call people in.

andycapps

Jesus Christ.

I showed up for work this morning and no one was in the parking lot (and it is normally packed with cars). Free day off for under a half an inch of snow!

5SHO5TC.jpg

I moved from Maine to Memphis, TN this past summer so this is a new one on me.

In Memphis that's considered the blizzard of the century.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom