• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

I have narrowed down your list to something more...realistic.
There's a greater chance of me skipping work than deadlift day!

Sean, how much are you guys expecting? 18+? I'm skipping back today because shoveling is going to be more than enough.

12-18 last I heard. I just can't miss deadlifts I love them too much. Plus my friend and I are going back and forth if he does reps of 405 front squat I might try reps of 405 deads. We'll see how randy I feel later.

Chucker

Got to the office, we had an email about our inclement weather policy. That's cute. We've got essentials, but my wife didn't pick up anything I can make chili with, so depending on how "employee focused" my company is, I may be able to snag some ingredients on the way home.

spyder_ur

I have to admit that after 7 years of living in the mid-South (Richmond, Memphis) and now being back in Boston after what we went through last winter, it is kind of funny to hear all these questions and prep.

I understand it though, and this storm is no joke.

My one recommendation for those living in cities though: Get outside in the heart of the blizzard and walk around a little bit, maybe during a lull. It's pretty breathtaking to see the quiet where previously only noise existed - the snow has a stunning muffling effect and cities can look serene and peaceful. It can be almost eerie at times.

That's one of my favorite things about big storms.

stanis

Banned
fuckin OPM still risking lives instead of just closing. Governor Hogan already declared a State of Emergency for the state of Maryland to keep people off the roads. OPM?

"NAH BRO YOU'RE GOOD! I'm sure metro won't die when everyone leaves at noon, leaving people stranded! That's never happened before!"

I work for md state govt, and we close at 1.

I was like bruhhh.

feds close at 12 why cant we

esms

I have to admit that after 7 years of living in the mid-South (Richmond, Memphis) and now being back in Boston after what we went through last winter, it is kind of funny to hear all these questions and prep.

My one recommendation for those living in cities though: Get outside in the heart of the blizzard and walk around a little bit, maybe during a lull. It's pretty breathtaking to see the quiet where previously only noise existed - the snow has a stunning muffling effect and cities can look serene and peaceful. It can be almost eerie at times.

I can definitely endorse this advice.

czolcznwkay1_ew.jpg

lol

Kazer

I plan on doing this sometime tonight or tomorrow. I'm pretty excited for the snow honestly, even if it does end up terrible.

Out here on beautiful Cape Cod, I say bring it on. I'm just hoping I can get a four mile run in before the weather turns too much (and yes, I run outside in winter). The only thing I ever worry about is extended power outages at this time of year (it's happened once in the 11 winters I've lived through on the Cape). Shoveling? Love it. Didn't get tired of it last winter.

I'd love to have a February like last year's. I can't imagine there'll be many more like it with global warming and all that.

gcubed

And that moment is probably the only moment you'll see white snow in a city.

WedgeX

Banned

My plan at some point during the storm is to make the trek from the Capitol Building to the Lincoln memorial. Going to be great.

Kazer

Are people who want this blizzard also ok with their power (potentially) going out?

Yeah. I've got beer, wine, two fully charged phones, a fully charged laptop to charge my phones if they die, candles, books and a deck of cards. Bring it on!

Same. Two charged Vitas, a N3DSXL, my laptop, two external battery packs, and my phone are charged up. Plenty of protein bars and snacks around the house. I'm sure I'll be ready for the power to come back on by the end of the weekend, but I'll manage.

Icefire1424

I do gotta hand it to everyone in this thread. The ongoing discussions have me practically craving Yuengling now. Will pick up some on the way home.

Quixzlizx

Accumulation totals aside, wind is going to be the biggest factor along the Long Island, Jersey, and Rhode Island coasts. GAF users living on those coasts could see sustained winds of 35-40mph for a brief period of time.

NAM_MSLP10mWind_ne_f28.png

I'm on the south shore of LI, so I'll be rolling around like a tumbleweed if I go outdoors tomorrow.

Speaking of potential power outages, I better go charge my 3DS and Vita. I think it's finally time to try and get back into steins;gate and Ace Attorney.

Retro

Alright, starting to get excited now, so I'll link to my obligatory "Some people get excited by weather, it doesn't mean we want people to get hurt!" disclaimer from last hurricane season.

Seconding this, if you can safely do so, give it a try. You don't get that sort of experience with anything but a heavy snowstorm, where everyone is off the roads and the sounds are all muffled by the snow, and all you can hear is the wind and echoing silence. It's super spooky.

Guys, guys, guys.

I have Yuengling now.

I am blizzard ready.

Requesting Thread Title Change:
Yuengling™ Presents: Northeast / Mid-Atlantic Blizzard '16

Rpgmonkey

The 2010 storm in Maryland/Baltimore was pretty intense, think I missed around an entire week of school from the disfunction it caused, haha. Kinda interesting that a similar storm is showing up almost 6 years to the date.

Shoveling that wasn't fun though, not looking forward to having to do that again. I don't think our power went out last time, hopefully it holds up here too.

Chucker

Last year I wouldn't have minded the power going out. Lily would have been almost 4, and understands why stuff happens, and we wouldn't have had Logan yet.

The power going out with a 5 month old will be NO FUN. Poor thing hates being bundled up as is. I'd assume she'll be way ornery if she needs to be bundled up 24/7.
Edit: Not to mention we're on well water, and don't have a gas stove.

Icefire1424

Seconding this, if you can safely do so, give it a try. You don't get that sort of experience with anything but a heavy snowstorm, where everyone is off the roads and the sounds are all muffled by the snow, and all you can hear is the wind and echoing silence. It's super spooky.

Agreed, motion carries. /Gavel. I live out in the boonies and do this fairly often, it's even more dramatic after dark. In my case I have a better chance of being hit by a snowmobile than a car though.

...also seconded.

fuckin OPM still risking lives instead of just closing. Governor Hogan already declared a State of Emergency for the state of Maryland to keep people off the roads. OPM?

"NAH BRO YOU'RE GOOD! I'm sure metro won't die when everyone leaves at noon, leaving people stranded! That's never happened before!"

Agreed, the snow is arriving a little early and I'll be driving home. Thanks opm.

coopolon

Leaving work now in Baltimore, looks like everywhere is closing around noon so hoping to beat that rush.

Sure hope my snowblower is woke king, never had to use it last year

BumRush

Times like these I'm extremely happy we bought a great generator and upgraded the electric to accommodate it on its own line.

Chucker

The tellers at my branch have been surprisingly busy.
Also every single person has asked "So, when do you guys get to leave?"

Come on upper management, get with it.

Thorgal

Might seem strange to some people living in those zones ... but i am jealous of you .

Haven't had a drop of snow this entire winter yet . only cold and wet :(

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Are people who want this blizzard also ok with their power (potentially) going out?

Not a problem in NYC. We don't lose power unless the entire grid is down, in which case there are much bigger problems than just some snow.

I'll take the max accumulation, please!

purg3

slept with Malkin
I'm not in the major snowfall areas, but our office is going to close early today to allow people to get home before it starts. We got a little snow earlier in the week and it pretty much gridlocked our downtown area.

kaskade

I am really happy the thread turned into half yuengling appreciation and half snowstorm.

I want a gaf tradtion everytime a big storm comes to the NE we buy a bunch of yuengling.

I do gotta hand it to everyone in this thread. The ongoing discussions have me practically craving Yuengling now. Will pick up some on the way home.

The check is in the mail. A hearty payout for all!

This shit is so silly

Snowmageddon 2.0. Brought to you by Yuengling. Yuengling, America's oldest beer.

That sounds like a damn ad that would go before Serial.

....yes.

..or this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom