• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
May be open or half day since snow isn't scheduled to begin until evening.

Yeah, but do they really want everyone leaving at the same time? Especially after yesterday....

Just seems a little crazy with all the schools closed, DC gov closing at 1, metro closing announcements and no peep form OPM.

AXFd6SX.png

Badgerst3

Stuck in Stockton, CA. till Friday for work. Smells like dead/dying cows.

I shall be drinking Ballast Point Sculpin in your honor east coast snow breatheren.

Snowy pics when avail pls-

Nam jumped a bit
CZSrqV7WkAIMNKL.png:large

got some decent data pumped into it. we'll see if other models pick it up.

Hurricane Hunters out;

CZSpWHSWAAEZwyK.png:large

Yeah, but do they really want everyone leaving at the same time? Especially after yesterday....

Just seems a little crazy with all the schools closed, DC gov closing at 1, metro closing announcements and no peep form OPM.

AXFd6SX.png

lots of thunderstorm convection, moreso than the models had predicted at this stage iirc.

it's a good looking storm right now though.

Exis

Reston here, thankfully I work from home just gonna maybe try to get out early in the am tomorrow to get my Saturday workout in on Friday.

Yikes. One of the models has a new run that randomly heaves 12"+ at Boston. This is a gigantic shift and I would not call it at all credible without substantial reinforcement, but a reminder that a least some snow could make it up there. It's the same model that's been promoting more snow for NYC and has been exaggerating totals significantly for several days. Let's hope it turns into a further outlier.
Hurricane Hunters out;
How did they even have a plane and crew available? Has this always been the plan? Can't recall this happening much in the past.

Yikes. One of the models has a new run that randomly heaves 12"+ at Boston. This is a gigantic shift and I would not call it at all credible without substantial reinforcement, but a reminder that a least some snow could make it up there. It's the same model that's been promoting more snow for NYC and has been exaggerating totals significantly for several days. Let's hope it turns into a further outlier.How did they even have a plane and crew available? Has this always been the plan? Can't recall this happening much in the past.

They're always ready. I mean. If a Hurricane randomly popped up, you know they'd be there for it.

OPM needs to get their shit together and just close down. At LEAST do a liberal leave / unscheduled telework day. There is absolutely no chance of my ass getting on the roads tomorrow. Not after the massive shitshow that a single fucking INCH caused today.

They're always ready. I mean. If a Hurricane randomly popped up, you know they'd be there for it.
Damn right they would! Random stuff doesn't pop out of a vacuum like that, though. This also isn't the time of year I'd ever expect that. The fact they even have a budget for year-around operations is something of a surprise.

Not complaining that they're interested in using the aircraft for other storm missions! It's good! In fact, if that data is what fed the NAM I'm now more concerned!

General kudos that the computers can handle seemingly obscure data input like that, though.

OPM needs to get their shit together and just close down. At LEAST do a liberal leave / unscheduled telework day. There is absolutely no chance of my ass getting on the roads tomorrow. Not after the massive shitshow that a single fucking INCH caused today.

Announcement just came on the website.

Washington, DC Area
Applies to: Friday, January 22, 2016

STATUS: OPEN - WITH OPTION FOR UNSCHEDULED LEAVE OR UNSCHEDULED TELEWORK. 4 HOURS STAGGERED EARLY DEPARTURE - EMPLOYEES MUST DEPART NO LATER THAN 12:00 PM AT WHICH TIME FEDERAL OFFICES ARE CLOSED
Federal agencies in the Washington, DC area are OPEN and employees have the OPTION for UNSCHEDULED LEAVE OR UNSCHEDULED TELEWORK. Employees, who report to their worksite, should depart 4 hours earlier than their normal departure time, but NO LATER THAN 12:00 PM, at which time FEDERAL OFFICES in the Washington, DC area are CLOSED.

OPM with the mandatory early depart time that worked so well back in 2011 when what should have been a 45 minute commute home turned into a 9 hour nightmare where I legitimately thought I was going to die a few times.

Should have just closed.

OPM with the mandatory early depart time that worked so well back in 2011 when what should have been a 45 minute commute home turned into a 9 hour nightmare where I legitimately thought I was going to die a few times.

Should have just closed.

I go into work at 9. I will have to leave at 12. 3 hour work day. Guaranteed to be a very productive 3 hour period.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Lucky people. I live in Denver and we haven't seen more than a foot of snow in one storm in a few years.

I love snow, even like driving in it. Other people driving in it can GTFO though.

georly

Loudoun County checking in.

Well stocked. Just hoping we hold onto power.

More loudon gaf? Damn. <3

I'm basically in the you are fucked range of 24"+.

Frederick County here.

Insane how many nova gaffers there are. I had no idea! <3.

Went to grocery store at 10 pm. Literally ZERO bread. Zero Milk (one half gallon of silk left) and ZERO bottled water (except fiji water).

Fortunately i don't need bread or milk and already had water. Just wanted snacks and canned fruits.

Now to see if I have work tomorrow. I might just show up at 5 am and see how long I can last before I have to head home.

Announcement just came on the website.

Edit: Oh, I see OPM says noon. Okeedokee. 5 am to noon then.

Is the NAM drunk? Did the GFS get the same recon data? At this point the difference between "low splits and dissolves" and "low occludes and hang around an extra day" is pretty significant.
what is nyc looking like?
Great question! You'll get somewhere between 3 and 28" of snow. No really, this got a lot more confusing. A hurricane hunter aircraft went out for some data and the results spat up something that greatly disagrees with other preferred computer models. I do not envy anyone having to make anything like an "official" forecast there right now.
ZERO bottled water (except fiji water).
Blue collar community with a low population of hipsters confirmed. Good to be prepared for a winter storm, but not $3/liter worth of prepared. Edit: Wanted to say I'm not joking here. I'd rather melt and boil snow for water before paying that much.

More loudon gaf? Damn. <3

Insane how many nova gaffers there are. I had no idea! <3.

Went to grocery store at 10 pm. Literally ZERO bread. Zero Milk (one half gallon of silk left) and ZERO bottled water (except fiji water).

Fortunately i don't need bread or milk and already had water. Just wanted snacks and canned fruits.

Now to see if I have work tomorrow. I might just show up at 5 am and see how long I can last before I have to head home.

Loudon GAF is getting crowded! And yeah, did the second grocery trip today. No bread at all. Which is good, since I didn't need any. All the avocados were pretty shitty, though. Too firm to make good guac with. Picked up some scotch tape and mozzarella cheese.

Managed to get my flight out of DC changed to early morning. Good luck, DMV-GAF! I look forward to the pictures of the 5' wall of snow. I'm coming back Sunday evening and I wonder if the highways will even be cleared by then...

ScribbleD

I'm down for a foot and a half here in central NJ. Bring that shit on!

In before it gets downgraded to 2 inches like always.

mhayes86

Prince William Co., VA reporting in.

God damn Feds need to make an announcement whether offices are open tomorrow or not. Blaaaaah. Come on with this.

I sure hope they close since it will keep my job quiet tomorrow. I'm going in, but planning to bail out early. I was going to work on Sunday to finish a project, but a moratorium was put into effect as of this morning.

Edit: Fuck going out. I went out for groceries after work and people just don't give a shit. Nearly got hit by an 18 wheeler that didn't use a turn signal, and almost got hit by a driver that decided yielding to me and my fiancee walking across a parking lot wasn't in his best interest.

You know, I can sort of see what the NAM is up to. There's an ungodly amount of extra energy in the Gulf Stream to tap into that it sucks up and slams against the coast (and the Gulf of Mexico, which I'm assuming why the aircraft data is boosting things), but still, I cannot imagine it possibly being this this bad.
So is this some storm that we really don't know what's going to happen besides a shit ton of snow for DC.
Correct.

Loudon GAF is getting crowded! And yeah, did the second grocery trip today. No bread at all. Which is good, since I didn't need any. All the avocados were pretty shitty, though. Too firm to make good guac with. Picked up some scotch tape and mozzarella cheese.

Fairfax County here, right on the edge of Loudon. This weekend is gonna be a hell of a ride. Stay safe fellow nova peeps.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Managed to get my flight out of DC changed to early morning. Good luck, DMV-GAF! I look forward to the pictures of the 5' wall of snow. I'm coming back Sunday evening and I wonder if the highways will even be cleared by then...

Don't set yourself up for disappointment.

irriadin

I'm sitting here in northeast PA (Wilkes-Barre / Scranton area) and our local meteorologists are saying 1-4" of snow, but forecast.io is calling for 14-23". kinda a wide discrepancy!

I'm sitting here in northeast PA (Wilkes-Barre / Scranton area) and our local meteorologists are saying 1-4" of snow, but forecast.io is calling for 14-23". kinda a wide discrepancy!

Central PA (State College area) and it's the same thing. I'm in the 4-8" range with the local news and in some of the models in this thread, but others have me in the 10-16" range. So, I guess it will be a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom