• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingbrave

Already? Dang. Wonder when it'll start here in nova. I'll go check in a bit (no windows at work ;_;)
ILkFW14.jpg

XMNxEE5.jpg

7J7awsv.jpg

It's snowed more since I took these. I had problems getting them uploaded.

MrDaravon

Also in Roanoke here, it's really coming down. Trudged across the street to the store at 6:30 this morning to grab a couple things before they likely close (coffee, donuts, chips...the essentials) and did a shovel around our car when I got back (we live in an apartment complex). It's been maybe an hour and I can't even tell that I shoveled anything at all. Should be a fun day.

Watevaman

I was planning on driving from Bluefield to Blacksburg today for a birthday celebration. No way in hell I'm attempting that now.

Yeah, my road isn't cleared so I can't even make it the 5 miles to 460 to see if that's cleared. I walked down my driveway and said "fuck it, staying in"

meow

Ah geez. Just getting caught up on this storm now, I'm supposed to catch a bus this evening from NYC to Philadelphia. Is that a bad idea? :/

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, I'm the only person from my section at work that showed up today. We only got like 1/8" of snow too, haha. Ah well... time to browse ebay all day!

laoni

That's kind of an extreme example, it ain't get that bad for us (I'm just a tad south of you) but it could drift 2-3 feet against cars and such. Depending on how your apartment is, you might have it drift waist deep against the door.

The apartment building is kinda weird (At least to me), we have to walk up a small flight of stairs to get in, at sort of halfway between the ground floor and the second floor, and the ground floor is sort of...half in the ground. So...might still be okay? We got a whole bunch of food/supplies yesterday so we shouldn't have to leave either way.

Another dumb question, after the snow's finished, well, snowing, about how long would the snow actually stay on the ground?

The apartment building is kinda weird (At least to me), we have to walk up a small flight of stairs to get in, at sort of halfway between the ground floor and the second floor, and the ground floor is sort of...half in the ground. So...might still be okay? We got a whole bunch of food/supplies yesterday so we shouldn't have to leave either way.

Another dumb question, after the snow's finished, well, snowing, about how long would the snow actually stay on the ground?

It's gonna be a while. Snow piles could last months. Possibility of another storm next week.

Kingbrave

Where is this? I'm right next to DC right now and have to travel back home to loudoun. Plan was to work til 11 or noon but uh.

Southwest Virginia. Right at the tip where Kentucky and Virginia and Tennessee meet. We call it the Tri-Cities. The Bristol Motor Speedway is nearby.

Mully

DC GAF may get a brief dry slot now according to some models. Even though certain forecasts have predicted 18-24+ inches for the DC metro area, it's probably smart to temper those expectations with a 14-24 inch event.

One thing I'll add about the forecasts when it comes to snow totals, is that they may be slightly conservative for most areas in the storm's range. It's a weekend storm so snow forecasts can be a bit conservative simply because there's less people walking around. According to my NWS Upton friend, one of the reasons why their forecasters went with 24-36" of snow for last year's bust was because it was a weekday storm. They believed it would have been better to scare people off the road than it would have been to be conservative only to have a nightmare 36" snow event with rush hour traffic.

laoni

It's gonna be a while. Snow piles could last months. Possibility of another storm next week.

Thanks to you and Retro!

I'm going to be here for 3 more weeks, so I guess there'll be plenty of time to play in the snow when there's not a crazy blizzard going on.

georly

Yeah, weather.gov is saying snow is going to start in an hour or so. Was really hoping to get more hours in at work. Bah. I should leave now-ish to be safe, I guess.

DC GAF may get a brief dry slot now according to some models. Even though certain forecasts have predicted 18-24+ inches for the DC metro area, it's probably smart to temper those expectations with a 14-24 inch event.

One thing I'll add about the forecasts when it comes to snow totals, is that they may be slightly conservative for most areas in the storm's range. It's a weekend storm so snow forecasts can be a bit conservative simply because there's less people walking around. According to my NWS Upton friend, one of the reasons why their forecasters went with 24-36" of snow for last year's bust was because it was a weekday storm. They believed it would have been better to scare people off the road than it would have been to be conservative only to have a nightmare 36" snow event with rush hour traffic.

I've literally never considered they'd lie to keep people safe. Makes sense. Meteorologists are the heroes we deserve. Willing to get yelled at for lying to keep people safe.

Retro

I think your outside apartment door and first floor windows might get some drifts against them, yeah. Depends on what way they're facing, if the wind blows the other way you might have LESS snow against it.

I'll echo what Inebriated said: depending on when it warms up it could be a while, but that's the grass and such. Roads in Delaware will probably be cleared by Monday, Tuesday at the latest. Major roads like 95 will be fine.

SeanR1221

Plan of attack
- work until 5
- quickly eat
- do some big ol deadlifts
- race home
- clear out garage
- get wife's car in garage
- play ps4/Mario maker all night.
- make chili tomorrow.

laoni

I think your outside apartment door and first floor windows might get some drifts against them, yeah. Depends on what way they're facing, if the wind blows the other way you might have LESS snow against it.

I'll echo what Inebriated said: depending on when it warms up it could be a while, but that's the grass and such. Roads in Delaware will probably be cleared by Monday, Tuesday at the latest. Major roads like 95 will be fine.

I forgot in my rambling to say we're on the third floor, so fortunately we won't have anything on the windows. I think there's a second door in to the building too, but I'm not sure on that one.

Seriously guys, thanks for explaining this all to me :D Snow is weeeeird.

georly

Thundersnow is the calling card of a bombogenesis system. Bombogenesis means when a system drops its pressure by more than 24mb in a 24 hour period. Areas west of DC could hear rumbles of thunder.

You're telling me I might get lightningsnow?

Guess i'll go play some FFXIII.

spyder_ur

Jesus Christ.

I showed up for work this morning and no one was in the parking lot (and it is normally packed with cars). Free day off for under a half an inch of snow!

5SHO5TC.jpg

I moved from Maine to Memphis, TN this past summer so this is a new one on me.

I taught in Memphis for a few years. I remember one day they canceled school due to an ice forecast. I was throwing a frisbee at the grassy park by noon. It was great.

Some forecasts for this to now hit Boston, but relieved it seems like it'll miss us. Who wants a weekend snowstorm?

Mully

Accumulation totals aside, wind is going to be the biggest factor along the Long Island, Jersey, and Rhode Island coasts. GAF users living on those coasts could see sustained winds of 35-40mph for a brief period of time.

NAM_MSLP10mWind_ne_f28.png

Retro

You're telling me I might get lightningsnow?

Guess i'll go play some FFXIII.

Well, like we said, it has to be a super intense storm for that to happen. It's really rare, I wouldn't hold your breath or anything.

Also, not every flash of light is going to be lightning, it very well could be transformers blowing. If it's kind of greenish in color that's usually what it is. We had an ice storm when I was in college in the Midwest that just wrecked the power lines, it was crazy watching the sky just pulse green. But saying we'll get that here either, of course.

Kazer

Just got to work in DC. The Metro was nearly empty and it was the first time this week there were no delays on my commute. About 75% of the office stayed home so it should be a nice quiet day here.

I'm ready for the snow when i get home. I bought the humble bundle and plan to spend the weekend playing XCom for the first time.

The red line was pretty packed for me this morning heading to Dupont Circle around 8:00am. Office is definitely empty though. Think I'll GTFO around noon.

BumRush

Plan of attack
- work until 5
- quickly eat
- do some big ol deadlifts
- race home
- clear out garage
- get wife's car in garage
- play ps4/Mario maker all night.
- make chili tomorrow.

Sean, how much are you guys expecting? 18+? I'm skipping back today because shoveling is going to be more than enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom