• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Barzul

What's the highest count of people you've seen in one scene in-game so far?

Maybe like 40-50 and I'm counting animals and stuff.

No matter what I change, I can´t mantain a solid 30fps even with all settings to Medium, NO AA, SSAO, on a GTX 760. Sure, it stays at 30 when I´m roaming around a deserted place, but as soon as I get into a battle, or even just going a small village the fps already drops to 25-20.

Even if I overclock it, it doesn´t give me ONE fps more. It´s like, exactly the same.

Are you using the latest drivers?

Ambition

No matter what I change, I can´t mantain a solid 30fps even with all settings to Medium, NO AA, SSAO, on a GTX 760. Sure, it stays at 30 when I´m roaming around a deserted place, but as soon as I get into a battle, or even just going a small village the fps already drops to 25-20.

Even if I overclock it, it doesn´t give me ONE fps more. It´s like, exactly the same.

Really? I don't have any of those problems. My game stays consistently locked at 30FPS with HBAO+ and mix of High and Ultra. Only thing that's off is Motion Blur since I find it pretty ugly.

660ti reporting in.

GeForce GTX 660ti (+400mHz memory overclock, +150mHz boost clock)
i7 920 @ stock speed, 2.8gHz
6GB DDR3 RAM.

Everything maxed out/turned on except:
Hairworks off, Foliage Distance High, Shadow Quality High.
Locked 30fps, no dips.

I am a happy, happy man.

parabolee

a few questions...

1. I have a 980, 8 megs of RAM and I5 2500K oc'd to 4.5. I thought bringing hairworks MSAA down to 2x makes it look worse even tho you gain performance.

2. Is the NVIDIA FXAA that much better than ingame? I heard you lose something by not using ingame AA

3. grass density medium. no real difference from high to medium and worth the fps increase?

I ask these questions because with everything on ultra except draw distance and shadows on high, the game runs at 60FPS. So not sure why I should turn anything else down...

1. I think it acts funky on AMD GPU's. But on my 980 the visual difference between the default and 2x is honestly tiny. But the performance gain is about 10fps!

2. I think forcing FXAA in the Nvidia panel causes the game to use both AA methods at the same time. Either way, the AA looks better to me with FXAA turned on.

3. If you are not seeing any drops at high, then by all means use high. Without comparing screen shots I can not tell the difference between high and medium. And with medium I maintain 60 fps even in a fight with a pack of 6 wolfs with HairWorks on. So it's worth it to me.

Has anyone gotten DS4Windows profiles to work with this game? I've noticed that my touchpad setup doesn't work.

Works fine for me. I use the touchpad for saving Shadowplay videos.

That was supposed to have been fixed with the patch :/

Definitely not. I'm still getting constant crashes when going into my inventory.

I've heard that setting the FPS limit to unlimited fixes it but... nope.

This is probably the most unstable game I've ever played in my life. Seems to crash just by looking at it the wrong way. Which is a shame because otherwise it's fantastic....

daninthemix

Definitely not. I'm still getting constant crashes when going into my inventory.

This is probably the most unstable game I've ever played in my life. Seems to crash just by looking at it the wrong way. Which is a shame because otherwise it's fantastic....

Out of interest which version you running? Steam, GOG Galaxy or just the game from GOG? I wonder if running it from a client affects stability.

Majukun

so..first i was not using gog galaxy..then i decided to use it to download the patch.
it canceled the icon on the desktop and now every time i start the game i have to pass thrugh gog galaxy..any way to go back to the drm free version?

WetTreeLeaf

Neo Member

I was having the same issue, but the fps limit to unlimited did fix it for me. Hasnt crashed once in 10 hours of playing.

Akhe

Weird...I don't have this problem.

Gtx 760 2gb
i5 4670
12gb

Buburibon

Fellow Titan X owner eh? What worked for me was limiting the power target in my overclock to 105% (instead of the previous full-on 110%), combined with "prefer maximum" performance. I can now go into the inventory and stay there as long as I'd like. Haven't had a crash in 3 hours since.

Deadstar

I have an old video driver. Would updating to one of the latest give me any performance gains? I have a 780 and want to use hairworks but I'm getting a ~20 fps drop when I use it. I've got my settings on high and haven't really tweaked anything else other than turning the shadows down. Any way to have hairworks on without the 20 fps loss?

Also, I've read some of you guys are getting constant crashes. I haven't had one crash so I am hesitant to upgrade if it will cause issues. I'm also playing the GOG version.

Helznicht

A lot of guys on here are getting 60fps @ 1080p. Try 4k and see how you fair? I'm still struggling to maintain 30fps on my Titan X.

I have a 970, 1602 with dynamic sampling, everything ultra except shadows and no noodle hair, running SweetFX with SMAA. Locked the FPS at 30 and have not seen a dip yet. I have not made it to a big city yet and that may change things. I tried 4k, but could not tell a difference scaling down to 1080p, so I left it at that.

I stretched for 60fps by pushing back settings, but the foliage just looks poor at lower levels of res. The extra detail in the foliage textures at the higher resolutions really help to keep them from looking like cardboard cut-outs. Also, the motion blur does help with the 30 fps smoothness feel, so it could be worse. My only complaint now is I wish Nvidia would support Super Sampling in a borderless window instead of just full screen, it would let me get rid of vsync, which makes controls feel a bit more sluggish (which is already kinda unresponsive).

Helznicht

so..first i was not using gog galaxy..then i decided to use it to download the patch.
it canceled the icon on the desktop and now every time i start the game i have to pass thrugh gog galaxy..any way to go back to the drm free version?

you should be able to create a new short-cut to the .exe. Its located in:

GOG Games/Witcher 3/bin/x64/witcher.exe

More GPU driver crashes in my aforementioned and now spoilered mission post. I tried varying over clocks and it caused crashing to occur as did my standard out-the-box clocks on an MSI 970.

Perhaps it is an issue with this particular area/mission because I had put around 6 error-free hours in prior to this (using patch 1.03).

Helznicht

Posted late last night but has anyone tried SweetFX SMAA? If so, how does it compare to nvidia FXAA?

I like SMAA a bit better, performance hit is similar, seems to look better. But since I use some aggressive DSR smoothinig (50%) its really hard to tell the difference. so YMMV.

datamage

Works fine for me. I use the touchpad for saving Shadowplay videos.

*shrug* Even my default settings won't work-- I use the right side of the touchpad to take screenshots. Do you have the Steam version or GOG? I have the GOG version of the game and added it to Steam. (Every other game I've done this with, allows screenshots to be taken through the Steam client.)

Cannon Goose said:
I tried to make a profile but the game just seems to ignore any change I make, touchpad or regular buttons. I would love to have the map and quicksaving on the touchpad or PS button.

Same here. I tried adding a couple swipe gestures to open up the map and such, but it ignores it. I'll do some more tinkering tonight.

Finally got to play about with it. Not been convinced I was going to get it running on my laptop after seeing how it doesn't exactly run great on consoles.

For those interested I'm running a laptop with an i7, 8 gig ram and gtx 765m.

So first step is start it at absolute lowest settings at 1360 x 768.

Standing on the balcony at very start of the game it was fluxuating between 26 and 40 fps.

Did whole training area and got similar results. Started story and first time fighting the goul things it was going at less than 30. About 26. Felt terrible playing at that.

Thought it was odd though because low still looks very good visually.

All I can say is thank god for ini files. Changed a bunch of stuff in there for things like grass detail etc and that got me from 25 fps to 45. After playing about with settings I have it at a locked 30 but still get the odd dip now and then (unlocked it goes from about 27-55). I have been able to up a few things with practically zero effect on frame rate (textues, depth of field, motion blur, AA etc). Its still looking pretty damn good so if I can tweak a touch more I think I'm good. Oddly, turning on depth of field ran a couple of frames better.

Gonna play a bit with shadow settings and see if I can get an extra 5 fps for these areas that push the system to far.

Its like they havnt really made low settings actually low.

I'm suuuper early in the game, like an hour of gameplay in. So I haven't even really seen anything.

On my rig; 4670k @4.6, 24gb ram, and 780ti, I have everything at ultra save for hair which is off. I hover at upper 40s and lower 50s fps at 1080p while in the world. In a room I'm practically locked at 60. I can't stand the frame skipping when I'm outside though so I've been playing at locked 30, which is very smooth for me. When I get home tonight I'm gonna see what settings I can play with to get me up to 60fps.

I have also yet to download the new drivers for this game so we'll see if that improves things or makes them worse. I'm getting super bummed about the way Nvidia is treating Kepler.

I'm suuuper early in the game, like an hour of gameplay in. So I haven't even really seen anything.

On my rig; 4670k @4.6, 24gb ram, and 780ti, I have everything at ultra save for hair which is off. I hover at upper 40s and lower 50s fps at 1080p while in the world. In a room I'm practically locked at 60. I can't stand the frame skipping when I'm outside though so I've been playing at locked 30, which is very smooth for me. When I get home tonight I'm gonna see what settings I can play with to get me up to 60fps.

I have also yet to download the new drivers for this game so we'll see if that improves things or makes them worse. I'm getting super bummed about the way Nvidia is treating Kepler.

If you turn shadows and foliage distance to high that will help a lot. The visual impact is minimal but you will gain a lot of frames.

If you turn shadows and foliage distance to high that will help a lot. The visual impact is minimal but you will gain a lot of frames.

Yeah those are usually my first go-tos to turn down in games. I just didn't feel like playing with settings last night. I was more concentrated on actually playing haha. I've also got a bunch of those post processing settings on. Except for chromatic aberration. Fuck chromatic aberration.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Can anyone help, I constantly have 70 to 80 fps, game never dips below 60. Running on Sli 980s with a 144hz gsync monitor, yet the game doesn't feel smooth... It's like the animations are jerky or there is micro stutter or.... Something... Anyone else feel this way?

I have an old video driver. Would updating to one of the latest give me any performance gains? I have a 780 and want to use hairworks but I'm getting a ~20 fps drop when I use it. I've got my settings on high and haven't really tweaked anything else other than turning the shadows down. Any way to have hairworks on without the 20 fps loss?

Also, I've read some of you guys are getting constant crashes. I haven't had one crash so I am hesitant to upgrade if it will cause issues. I'm also playing the GOG version.

Just play with hairworks off or enjoy 30fps and less, and that is when you turn down foliage and shadows.

I have a card similar to yours and I can't get stable 60fps even with low settings, whereas a gtx 970 gets 60fps with everything on ultra except for hairworks; you can find a comparable in Nvidia forums.

I am surprised that there is no Gaf topic about Kepler issues, no response from officials (Nshitia and CDconsoleproject), and no coverage from the media regarding the Kepler cards issues.

We have to make this issue public; there are people who payed 1000$ for enthusiast cards a year ago and they are getting entry entry-mid level card performance.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I just started the game and playing on GOG Galaxy and everytime I get to the cutscene of that winged birdlike creature eating a horse, my game crashes. Anyone else have this problem?

My specs:

i5 4670k
8GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7800

Serick

Married Member
You can have ultra shadows too, and it'd still be 60 locked. But my 980 does have a medium overclock. Even ultra foliage distance would keep you above 50-55, but you get that judder then.

Yeah I've never fallen below 50 with everything maxed but I literally can't see the difference between high and ultra shadows and would rather play without the judder, it was giving me a headache.

Deadstar

Just play with hairworks off or enjoy 30fps and less, and that is when you turn down foliage and shadows.

I have a card similar to yours and I can't get stable 60fps even with low settings, whereas a gtx 970 gets 60fps with everything on ultra except for hairworks; you can find a comparable in Nvidia forums.

I am surprised that there is no Gaf topic about Kepler issues, no response from officials (Nshitia and CDconsoleproject), and no coverage from the media regarding the Kepler cards issues.

We have to make this issue public; there are people who payed 1000$ for enthusiast cards a year ago and they are getting entry entry-mid level card performance.

With hairworks off I get close to 60 almost always. I'm playing on high like I said with a few things turned down.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Bit the bullet and dropped shadows to medium to stop the 60 - 55fps dips, I stayed in a spot that caused the drop and just changed settings one by one and shadows did the trick.

CHC

Bit the bullet and dropped shadows to medium to stop the 60 - 55fps dips, I stayed in a spot that caused the drop and just changed settings one by one and shadows did the trick.

Makes almost zero difference whatsoever.

So, does anyone know if there is a mod or ini tweak to adjust the distance at which names show up over people's heads? I don't mind seeing them, but it's a bit distracting when you're like 10+ yards away.

With hairworks off I get close to 60 almost always. I'm playing on high like I said with a few things turned down.

Yeah I set shadows and foliage to high and I get 48-58 fps in open areas, and 40-48fps in villages. Even with that setup, going to low settings didn't give me a huge performance boost (5-12fps at best), hence why I am pissed.

Bl@de

People need to take early performance with a grain of salt. I have a min FPS of 39 in that area but later on I encountered areas where it goes down to 33. 770 on high + HBAO+. But I haven't found any sub 30 area yet,

PS. Still no crashes or bugs after 17h. Great work CDPR.

Bl@de

So they recommend the 770 but it can't run 60fps for shit according to benchmarks.. What the hell is that?

It's mostly around 50fps so the recommendation is okay. Big drops mostly occur in foggy forest villages where you just talk with people.

parabolee

*shrug* Even my default settings won't work-- I use the right side of the touchpad to take screenshots. Do you have the Steam version or GOG? I have the GOG version of the game and added it to Steam. (Every other game I've done this with, allows screenshots to be taken through the Steam client.)

Same here. I tried adding a couple swipe gestures to open up the map and such, but it ignores it. I'll do some more tinkering tonight.

I have the GOG version. Also just realised that I am not using the old DS4Windows but the newer InputMapper as it is noe called.

I also use the PS button to take screenshots, both work perfectly. But I am using FRAPS for screenshots. Have not added the game to Steam as I like the new GOG launcher.

BashNasty

Cool thanks, I'll definitely give it a shot later today, from the comments it seems like the same symptoms are being experienced by others.

Really strange that you're experiencing stutter on a G-sync monitor. I'm playing on a G-sync monitor at 1440p with a 970. I'm typically running around 50fps and everything feels perfectly smooth, no stutter or lag whatsoever.

Top Bottom