• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

MrTexor

Sounds like your driver might not be installed. Does the device manager read the card as a 970?

Either that or you have a really shitty power supply or maybe CPU bottlenecking it.
the device manager does read the card as a 970, my CPU is an i5 3330... I had a 670 before getting the 970 and I was getting better performance. I'm guessing the power supply is not supplying enough.

Your GPU may not be seated properly.

I'll double check that again

CHC

Is there any noticeable difference between ultra and high shadows, like higher shadow draw distance or shadow count on ultra?
It costs a few frames and the nvidia guide shows that shadows get a little bit clearer on ultra, but it's impossible for me to see the difference ingame, compared to high.

The lower settings have some SLIGHT shimmer / artifacting in spots, usually visible in cutscenes or up close (like under character's chins). Ultra-> high will save you like 3-5 FPS though, and the difference is miniscule.

I thnk this game has the best open-world shadow quality I've ever seen. Almost every other game I can think of on this scale has shit-ass blocky shadows that jitter along everything they touch, GTAV and Watch Dogs are prime offenders in that regard.

well, thats a first. Went to turn in a quest and it made my entire computer freeze. Could still hear game music, but the game minimized and I couldnt do anything.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Ugh, just had microstutters suddenly start happening :/ Hadn't noticed them at all before. I have tried both Durante's method, and what was working for me before which is Triple buffering + VSync in nVidia control panel, unlimited FPS in game and full screen.

2x980s, i5-4670K. Anyone else experiencing microstutters? It looks almost like a faint flash/hitch. Other demanding open world games such as GTA V are working fine.

Check my previous posts in this thread same issue with Sli 980s also.

buffelo

Neo Member
Well, after 20+ hours of gameplay I got my first inventory crash. I can't figure out what variables were different to bring it about. What a weird bug..

CHC

Man if this Kepler fix that Nvidia is talking about can bring the 780 to similar levels of performance as the 970.... I'll be a happy camper.

ss_lemonade

So I'm doing this well mission now (Devil by the Well contract) and holy crap is the well area destroying my 780. I have foliage, shadows and grass at high and I'm hitting < 40fps at 1920x1080. I even dropped to fricking 1280x800 and it still can't hold a constant 60fps. 1280x800, on a 780!

zeox

whoever talked about doing manual saves instead of quicksaving is a freaking hero. Haven't had a crash since I started to save manually. Would crash pretty much every hour before this

whoever talked about doing manual saves instead of quicksaving is a freaking hero. Haven't had a crash since I started to save manually. Would crash pretty much every hour before this

Whoa, really? That's.. really strange. Wouldn't expect quicksaving to be the problem, but maybe there's something that process that is bugged somehow I guess?

Will try this, thanks for the HU

Tohsaka

I'm debating just picking up the PS4 version because of how sick I am of the crashes. I've tried disabling the framerate lock and other things, but it still happens.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Ugh, just had microstutters suddenly start happening :/ Hadn't noticed them at all before. I have tried both Durante's method, and what was working for me before which is Triple buffering + VSync in nVidia control panel, unlimited FPS in game and full screen.

2x980s, i5-4670K. Anyone else experiencing microstutters? It looks almost like a faint flash/hitch. Other demanding open world games such as GTA V are working fine.
Did you try setting max pre-rendered frames to 1?

Only time I ever got stuttering with my 980 was after the last patch when the display was changed to windowed borderless. I changed back to fullscreen and it went away.

Deadstar

This recent AMD video says that 16x tesselation on hairworks looks the same as 64x tesselation. I'm on a gtx 780, is there a way to edit the hairworks settings down to 16x to test performance?

Here is a link for AMD users on how to do this, but is there something similar nvidia users can do using the nvidia control panel?

Drogean

Hey teammates

Hope somebody might like this reshade im putting together.

I've been trying to mimic the old screenshots

tjX0p3W.png

Album Here

Its based on this sweetFX here here

Download here

HELP!
So, I got a 970 GTX about a month ago. I hadn't played any games sicne I got it. I tried to play witcher but I cant seem to get anything more than about 15 fps. I tried BF4 and I have the same problem. Seems like the fans are always off even tho it appears that the GPU is at 100%. I have no idea what to do now :'(

Few things to check
Check to make sure it seated in the PCIe slot correctly.
Make sure the PCIe power cables are plugged in to the card.
Install the correct drivers? Google Display Driver Uninstaller, run it, install fresh drivers
Any other dirvers having issues? Check your device manager to see if you have anything labeled "unknown device".

Red Comet

So I've began to notice a stutter tonight in some areas when walking forward. It's weird because the stutter seems to occur in exact intervals and only when moving forward.

However, this stutter only occurs when Foliage Visibility Range is set to Ultra. If I knock this setting down to High, the stutter disappears completely. I also gain about 5 frames per second or so when I knock this down to High, but I would gladly give those frames up to play with this setting at Ultra. Hope this is something that they would fix in a patch.

i5, GTX780 here...how ultra can i go and still maintain 60 FPS?

Also, is there a new Nvidia driver for this game I should update to? The last one I did was for Wolfenstein Old Blood

MisterM

My 970 should arrive today and I shall be retiring my 7870XT. Excitement!

So my choices are, either keep my settings at high, 1080p and aim for 60 or bump them up and stay at 30. Is 60fps a pipedream for a 970 or is it easily doable?

with settings all at ultra and high (texture quality is ultra), why is this castle missing textures at this distance? GTX 980, latest drivers.

zwwb.jpg

yami4ct

So my choices are, either keep my settings at high, 1080p and aim for 60 or bump them up and stay at 30. Is 60fps a pipedream for a 970 or is it easily doable?

I'm running a 970 at 1080 and near ultra everything and getting 60 near 100% off the time. I even am able to turn on Hairworks. Hairworks gives me a noticeable hit once you go indoors, but after an initial hit I still average mid-50s even then. Only things I turned down where foliage distance to high, shadow quality down a notch and a couple other nearly unnoticeable settings. If you turn off Hairworks, you should be able to hit 60 consistently all the time no issue. I just leave it on since I'm a sucker for hair tech. It makes Gerald's beard in particular look amazing in closeups, so that's worth the performance hit for me. YMMV, of course.

Kiyoshi

You're going to be very happy! I'm running at 60fps with a mixture of high and ultra settings.

yami4ct

Did 1.03 fix the 28fps pre rendered cutscenes for everyone ? Mine still stutter and has framerate issues.

I haven't hit any pre-rendered in game stuff since 1.03, but the load screen cutscenes are still hitchy as hell for me. Could it have something to do with loading behind the scenes or some sort?

curlycare

I wonder if there's any way to reduce the tessellation factor on nvidia GPUs through registry editing. Would be nice if there was a setting for it in control panel.

daninthemix

The number of games I've heard "set power to Prefer Maximum Performance" is making me want to just set it and forget it globally.

Any downsides to this? Will the GPU still downclock when idle on the desktop?

Did 1.03 fix the 28fps pre rendered cutscenes for everyone ? Mine still stutter and has framerate issues.

Is this the issue where the cut scene runs fine for a second, then "lags" really badly then goes smooth then lags, over and over at the same interval (~1 second) all the way thru? Just started the game and that was unbearable.

MisterM

I'm running a 970 at 1080 and near ultra everything and getting 60 near 100% off the time. I even am able to turn on Hairworks. Hairworks gives me a noticeable hit once you go indoors, but after an initial hit I still average mid-50s even then. Only things I turned down where foliage distance to high, shadow quality down a notch and a couple other nearly unnoticeable settings. If you turn off Hairworks, you should be able to hit 60 consistently all the time no issue. I just leave it on since I'm a sucker for hair tech. It makes Gerald's beard in particular look amazing in closeups, so that's worth the performance hit for me. YMMV, of course.

You're going to be very happy! I'm running at 60fps with a mixture of high and ultra settings.

Thanks both. It should be here in an hour, gotta love DPD delivery with live tracking.

I'd really like Hairworks on so I'll see if I can get acceptable performance with it on otherwise a solid 60 without sounds good.

yami4ct

Thanks both. It should be here in an hour, gotta love DPD delivery with live tracking.

I'd really like Hairworks on so I'll see if I can get acceptable performance with it on otherwise a solid 60 without sounds good.

It sucks that Hairworks is such a resource hog because it looks so good in dialogue closeups. The big hit I notice using it on a 970 is like a half second dip to sub-30 when I first enter a building and it switches from the "world" model of Geralt to the more detailed interior model. After that, performance is near perfect for me. I am using the overclocked EVGA SSC model, though, so other cards may get a slightly bigger hit.

MisterM

It sucks that Hairworks is such a resource hog because it looks so good in dialogue closeups. The big hit I notice using it on a 970 is like a half second dip to sub-30 when I first enter a building and it switches from the "world" model of Geralt to the more detailed interior model. After that, performance is near perfect for me. I am using the overclocked EVGA SSC model, though, so other cards may get a slightly bigger hit.

I'm getting the EVGA SC ACX 2.0 so just a regular superclock. Not a super super :D

Are you using the HairworksAA ini edit?

yami4ct

I'm getting the EVGA SC ACX 2.0 so just a regular superclock. Not a super super :D

Are you using the HairworksAA ini edit?

I haven't touched the ini stuff. A bit much for me, but I might give it a look. I've only tweaked a few menu settings to get a stable frame rate.

samar11

Witcher 3 doesn't really push my 4690k at all. I get maybe just over 50% load on all cores during the most intensive moments.

Really? WTF lol. I keep reading and hearing people say that an open world game is more cpu heavy. Doesn't bother me but ok :/

Grumbul

It will be very interesting to see what Nvidia come up with in relation to Kepler performance.

As much as PC gaming offers so many options to me I have to confess it is getting rarer and rarer for me to ever get to play a game on release week.

Top Bottom