• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Seanspeed

Banned
Anyone else feel this game is too dark? At night it's especially annoying. I'd rather only play during daytime.
It's too dark to play in bright conditions. It's perfect for low light conditions, though. In fact, I'm trying to find a SweetFX/Reshade config that gives me a less 'blue' night(darker, blacker), while not sucking away too much color during the day and not making it awful looking indoors. Haven't found this magic combo yet...

I tried 4K locked at 30 on my GTX 970 SLI setup and it looks glorious,however I reverted back to 1440P as I'm afraid it will drop below 30 in some sections with heavy effects and such.(I''m very far into Velen area)

Sijil

Nvidia says they're working on drivers to improve performance for the 600 and 700 series.

Wait, they said that specifically? Or just looking into it? Are they admitting that Kepler is suffering performance issues and are going to fix it?

CHC

Yeah shadows really make almost no difference between settings. The shadows in this game are amazingly soft and smooth looking.

Gbraga

Anyone else feel this game is too dark? At night it's especially annoying. I'd rather only play during daytime.

Not at all. The game actually makes caves and indoor environments in general darker when you have your torch on, kinda like Dark Souls II, to give you the impression you need it, you can see everything all the time (at least outside, maybe there will be some pitch black sections that need the torch later on)

Check your gamma settings, or try to use borderless mode just to see if there's any difference. If borderless is still to dark, then it could be your monitor/TV's settings.

any setting that doesn't make the game look worse, or hardly makes a difference but boosts fps?

Shadows on medium still look really good.

Grechy34

AC Unity and the Order were the 2 best looking games of current gen until this came out. Jaw droppingingly stunning.

Tested the game on the Alienware Alpha i7 model. Medium settings, foliage density and distance set to low. Was at the 35-40 frame mark and the game still looked great - so very playable on a system like this.

Seanspeed

Banned
you sure?

The screens of ps4 and pc comparision says otherwise. From that digital foundary thread
Shadow quality on consoles isn't bad. It's the pure lack of shadows, which this setting doesn't seem to affect as much. I think it's just affecting the resolution of the shadows, but could be wrong. Give it a try. I didn't see much of a difference, though it might have just been the area I was in. I left it on Medium, not really because it seemed obviously better to me, but because I could afford to, so why not?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
might try the shadow setting. Currently have it on high

foliage distance is already on high and hairworks is off

Medium was a noticeable performance boost, pushed me to 60fps locked and I don't notice a group graphical difference.

Gbraga

Woohoo! I mean, the game was working fine on my 770 but hey the more performance the better.

Yep! Very satisfied with my performance too, but I'll take it.

Unless by "making it perform as well as Maxwell" they mean giving us crashes too
aPg9e4u.png

Praise be, I've been restraining myself to continue the game after White Orchard because the frame drops and fuzzy downscaled graphics on my 780 were starting to sap my enjoyment.

Still, I don't really buy that this comes as a surprise to Nvidia - I mean, their own GeForce Experience app suggests scaling the graphics way way down on systems that play E3-modded Watch Dogs and full fidelity GTA V... surely that should have made their engineers wonder what was going on before the outcry of Kepler-owners?

irishcow

Hey all I just wanted to post my experience:

i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5ghz
R9 290 overclocked to 1060/1400
8gb ram

1080p, all settings ultra except foliage distance to high and shadows to high

It runs 60fps pretty much 98% of the time. Impressed with the performance but the graphics aren't as realistic as I was expecting. Great game so far though!

Not at all. The game actually makes caves and indoor environments in general darker when you have your torch on, kinda like Dark Souls II, to give you the impression you need it, you can see everything all the time (at least outside, maybe there will be some pitch black sections that need the torch later on)

Check your gamma settings, or try to use borderless mode just to see if there's any difference. If borderless is still to dark, then it could be your monitor/TV's settings.

I honestly forgot I had a torch.

I think my gamma slider page worked fine when I first booted it up, which was in borderless windowed, and looked broken when I checked it last night in fullscreen. I'd have to test it again. I have other video problems when I run in borderless windowed though, so how could I get fullscreen to work as properly? Or is it maybe something they need to patch?

Zeth

Shit I just realized I never installed the latest nvidia drivers that came out around launch.

Think I'll get any performance increase on my 970?

Thought I'd load an early save (v1.02). All I get is a blank loading screen and some sound (similar to Xbox One bug). Not good of CDPR to fuck that kind of thing up.

SinSilla

Guys, why is it that when i use a DSR resolution in witcher 3 it doesn't actually downsample, it rather expands the image beyond my displays border? How to fix this?

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Anyone found a solution to the hitching / judder when moving the camera with the mouse? Setting pre rendered frames to 1 didn't work. This is on a Sli 980 set up with fps > 70 at all times with a 144hz gsync monitor.

So what are the areas people have found so far that hit performance the most.

My settings to play on my gtx 765m at 30 locked drop below that in 3 places so far.

The well where you fight the noonwraith. Only facing a certain direction it will drop to 28-29

The small shanty town before the bridge to the area with novigrade. Drops to about 25-26

And novigrade its self. Varies between 25-30.

Any areas that have worse drops I should expect?

Hopefully nvidea patch for keplar helps if it ever arrives.

Errrr so something really weird is happening. Yesterday I was getting around 60 fps, everything maxed without hairworks on 2 x GTX 780s (with i5 2500k at 4.2 GHZ).

Loaded it up today and im getting around 25 fps. Even turning stuff down im only getting around 40 fps.

I've tried turning everything to low and that only gets me around 60fps.

Wtf?

buffelo

Neo Member
Errrr so something really weird is happening. Yesterday I was getting around 60 fps, everything maxed without hairworks on 2 x GTX 780s (with i5 2500k at 4.2 GHZ).

Loaded it up today and im getting around 25 fps. Even turning stuff down im only getting around 40 fps.

Wtf?

Have you tried looking to see if it switched you from fullscreen to borderless window mode or vice versa?

Seanspeed

Banned

Wtf?
Check and see if both cards are working?

What kind of peformance should I be looking at on these specs:

i7 3770k
GTX 970 ( which haven't bought yet)
16ram

With and without hairworks running on ultra.

mintylurb

Game crashed hard after playing it for a few hours, black screen but with sound.
I presume it's related to my card constantly staying near 80c so decided to use msi afterburner to adjust my 980's fan curve
so it stays around 70c under load. Since then haven't experienced any crash..yet.

It's too dark to play in bright conditions. It's perfect for low light conditions, though. In fact, I'm trying to find a SweetFX/Reshade config that gives me a less 'blue' night(darker, blacker), while not sucking away too much color during the day and not making it awful looking indoors. Haven't found this magic combo yet...

Mess around with HDR, curves and lift-gamma-gain. There is also another post-processing injector called GEMFX, which also has sweetFX built in it. The problem with it is that it has no SMAA and you might not be able to use SweetFX (just for SMAA) with it because both share the D3D9.dll or Dxgi.dll files.

I think you might be able to use GEMFX in DX11; it has great control of ambient light and darkness in interiors/shadows. I got great results with it in Dark Souls1, but people might find its ambient light excessive or annoying, especially that it affects HUD elements and main menu title.

knerl

Anyone found a solution to the hitching / judder when moving the camera with the mouse? Setting pre rendered frames to 1 didn't work. This is on a Sli 980 set up with fps > 70 at all times with a 144hz gsync monitor.

Using borderless window mode? Use fullscreen if so. I know for me it stutters from time to time while using borderless. Switching to fullscreen mode fixes it. Alt-tabbing out and back in makes the game switch modes. After it's done that it can be a pain to get the game to get the fullscreen setting to stick. Experiment with vsync from the graphics driver w or w/o tripple buffering. Lastly. If none of that works check your DPC latency with a program called latency mon to determine if a driver is acting up causing the stuttering.

Yeul

I just did that (Power Management Mode > Prefer Maximum Settings, specifically for the game) and checked the core clock and memory clock while in-game

The memory clock is at 3005, but the GPU clcok is at 540 - I'm assuming that's the problem here? I turned UberSampling back on and got 28 PFS and nasty dips in the third chapter, this is definitely not the performance I had before this happened

I'm not sure what to do now.. any tips?

Edit: Fixed! Thanks for the help!

It seems I had to reset my PC after applying the settings for it to work. Do you guys recommend to apply it globally or just for the game?

Also, I've googled and it seems this is a fairly common problem with the 970 and even earlier Nvidia cards... google even completes the sentence for 970 540 mhz lol
I've even found one guy who described exactly what happened to me - playing The Witcher 2 and alt tabbing, then getting the performance drop

I'm glad it worked!! I just set it to global and it still downclocks itself when I'm idling so it's not like it's running at high voltage/high clocks all the time, just when there's load on it (at least that's what my MSI Afterburner shows). EDIT: Though I just did some research and people have encountered problems when setting it to global so I guess I'm just going to set it back to "prefer maximum performance" for just the game since I don't want to run into anything strange.

What kind of peformance should I be looking at on these specs:

i7 3770k
GTX 970 ( which haven't bought yet)
16ram

With and without hairworks running on ultra.

I've got the same specs with half the RAM and the i7 @ 4.2 and I've been playing it maxed out 1080p 60 fps with no hairworks, with some barely noticeable dips.

I messed around lowering the AA level for Hairworks and it lowers the FPS dip significantly, though I still don't think its worth it.

So what are the areas people have found so far that hit performance the most.

My settings to play on my gtx 765m at 30 locked drop below that in 3 places so far.

The well where you fight the noonwraith. Only facing a certain direction it will drop to 28-29

The small shanty town before the bridge to the area with novigrade. Drops to about 25-26

And novigrade its self. Varies between 25-30.

Any areas that have worse drops I should expect?

Hopefully nvidea patch for keplar helps if it ever arrives.

What is your resolution?

Seanspeed

Banned
Mess around with HDR, curves and lift-gamma-gain. There is also another post-processing injector called GEMFX, which also has sweetFX built in it. The problem with it is that it has no SMAA and you might not be able to use SweetFX (just for SMAA) with it because both share the D3D9.dll or Dxgi.dll files.

I think you might be able to use GEMFX in DX11; it has great control of ambient light and darkness in interiors/shadows. I got great results with it in Dark Souls1, but people might find its ambient light excessive or annoying, especially that it affects HUD elements and main menu title.
Appreciate it, but I'm not a big 'tweaker' myself. I like to leave that to people who know what they're doing. :)

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Using borderless window mode? Use fullscreen if so. I know for me it stutters from time to time while using borderless. Switching to fullscreen mode fixes it. Alt-tabbing out and back in makes the game switch modes. After it's done that it can be a pain to get the game to get the fullscreen setting to stick. Experiment with vsync from the graphics driver w or w/o tripple buffering. Lastly. If none of that works check your DPC latency with a program called latency mon to determine if a driver is acting up causing the stuttering.

Thanks for your input, I always play in full screen, Sli doesn't work in borderless window mode.

I've got the same specs with half the RAM and the i7 @ 4.2 and I've been playing it maxed out 1080p 60 fps with no hairworks, with some barely noticeable dips.

I messed around lowering the AA level for Hairworks and it lowers the FPS dip significantly, though I still don't think its worth it.

Ok thanks. Has the latest patch 1.03 made any difference?

Top Bottom