• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

For any of you guys having problems with Nvidia drivers 352/353 constantly crashing:

I fixed it by uninstalling MSI Afterburner and RTSS.

Not only has this seemed to stop my driver crashes but SLI has miraculously started working with Witcher 3
the day before my GTX980ti arrives yay :lol

I'm now overclocking using Nvidia Inspector instead.

hermeslyre

Neo Member
Has anyone else experienced issues since the nVidia updates yesterday that added support for the 980 Ti? I can't verify myself, but my wife tells me that she's had the game crash multiple times today, and we haven't had any issues like that since the 1.03 patch. Seeing as how I updated drivers last night, that seemed like the most likely suspect, but just curious if anyone else is having troubles with the new nVidia drivers.

Yeah, crashes are common with both yesterdays new driver and the driver release before that, the Witcher 3 game ready driver. 353.06 and 352.86.

You can try rolling back to either 350.12 or 347.88, respectably the 3rd and 4th last WHQL driver releases. Many people including myself seem to get stability only through these slightly older drivers. I don't notice any performance increase when testing the newer drivers, at least on my end, a 970.

Yeah, crashes are common with both yesterdays new driver and the driver release before that, the Witcher 3 game ready driver. 353.06 and 352.86.

You can try rolling back to either 350.12 or 347.88, respectably the 3rd and 4th last WHQL driver releases. Many people including myself seem to get stability only through these slightly older drivers. I don't notice any performance increase when testing the newer drivers, at least on my end, a 970.

I wasn't having any issues at all with 352 over about 40 hours of gameplay. I'll double check the settings when I get home.

hermeslyre

Neo Member
I wasn't having any issues at all with 352 over about 40 hours of gameplay. I'll double check the settings when I get home.

As the post right above my last comment suggests, it may be specific programs like afterburner causing issues with specific driver releases. In my case, running both 352 and 353 I get a rare display driver crash in game, but more frequently I get crashes when simply browsing the net through Chrome. Many others experience the same. I experience no crashes at all on 350.12.

Rolling back to the last stable release is usually a good idea when something like this happens.

Tendo

What is the best AA solution for a 970? The in game anti aliasing looks awful. All I want to run it at is 1080p at decent frames.

hermeslyre

Neo Member
A note of caution. Disabling TDR is fine when TDR is erroneously deciding that the driver has crashed. However, if the driver/GPU actually has crashed it can cause problems requiring a reboot (e.g. the game could still freeze, but instead of crashing to desktop it can produce a scenario where the frozen screen remains in focus and is impossible to escape from without powering down).

I still maintain that these driver crashes are being caused either by unstable overclocks or (more likely) by background software (EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner, etc). Precision X running in the background definitely causes them in some games on my system. If it's purely a driver problem it seems rather odd that only some people are getting them, while others with nearly identical hardware and software are not.

Good advice about disabling TDR. I actually posted just a couple comments below that post an update, in which Chrome would lock up the system in a crash due to TDR being disabled. It's happened once in game this morning as well. It's obviously not the solution I hoped it to be.

As for the display driver crashes many of us are experiencing, I've heard from many experiencing issues who aren't overclocked beyond the factory OCs on the card. I'm not going to blame stock OCs that have been stable for months, over placing blame on a set of recent display drivers, 352.86 & 353.06, of which the issues seems to contained to for many of us.

In my case, I'm pushing my OC pretty hard. I don't deny that I might not be 100% stable, despite 8-9 months of stability through every game I play and every set of drivers that have released in that period, as I always update. Whether or not I'm 100% stable, down to last decimal point isn't a bigger deal to me than the fact the the last two Nvidia driver releases have done something to system stability that manifests in frequent crashes, in game and using other software such as Chrome, where there were no issues before.

The idea that certain software might be allergic to the new driver releases might very well be the case. Chrome certainly is, on my end. Afterburner might be. But the solution in my mind is not to disable Afterburner, and thus disable my overclock and throw away a 15%-20 performance increase, it's to roll back to the last stable driver release for me, which happens to be 350.12, and let Nvidia fix their drivers in the mean time, assuming the issue is something unintended, and not a new feature of the driver.

b0bbyJ03

I don't know if this is all in my head but I feel like the new driver introduces stutter. Especially when moving the camera around. It feels really jerky on a 980. Anyone else feel this way?

Buildings still destroy fps even with the new 353.06 driver. Also, my messages are being hidden by Nvidia moderators for saying that the new driver did not improve the performance of my Kepler card significantly. I will get an AMD card; I don't care anymore.

Looks a tad better in screenshots, with a little bit better coverage, but the FXAA just looks better while actually playing in my opinion.

FXAA helps decreasing shimmering. I generally use SMAA unless there is heavy shimmering, vegetation or issues with injecting D3D9 or DXGI dlls. SMAA is sharper and has better coverage overall, but FXAA gets great results with lumasharpen and negative LOD bias

Salaadin

Good advice about disabling TDR. I actually posted just a couple comments below that post an update, in which Chrome would lock up the system in a crash due to TDR being disabled. It's happened once in game this morning as well. It's obviously not the solution I hoped it to be.

As for the display driver crashes many of us are experiencing, I've heard from many experiencing issues who aren't overclocked beyond the factory OCs on the card. I'm not going to blame stock OCs that have been stable for months, over placing blame on a set of recent display drivers, 352.86 & 353.06, of which the issues seems to contained to for many of us.

In my case, I'm pushing my OC pretty hard. I don't deny that I might not be 100% stable, despite 8-9 months of stability through every game I play and every set of drivers that have released in that period, as I always update. Whether or not I'm 100% stable, down to last decimal point isn't a bigger deal to me than the fact the the last two Nvidia driver releases have done something to system stability that manifests in frequent crashes, in game and using other software such as Chrome, where there were no issues before.

The idea that certain software might be allergic to the new driver releases might very well be the case. Chrome certainly is, on my end. Afterburner might be. But the solution in my mind is not to disable Afterburner, and thus disable my overclock and throw away a 15%-20 performance increase, it's to roll back to the last stable driver release for me, which happens to be 350.12, and let Nvidia fix their drivers in the mean time, assuming the issue is something unintended, and not a new feature of the driver.

If it isnt a driver problem, then why did the issue not exist for me and many others until the driver was installed? Something in it is broken

hermeslyre

Neo Member
If it isnt a driver problem, then why did the issue not exist for me and many others until the driver was installed? Something in it is broken

Agreed. However I have seen many people arguing they've been perfectly stable on the last two releases, or either or, which really helps lend credibility to the idea that the latest drivers are allergic to certain software configurations. Hopefully it's an easy and quick fix for Nvidia.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Im really pleased with how my rig performs. Have a 7950 wìth boost and a i3570k at 4.2 ghz. Running the game at 1920x1200 and have everything on high, hairworks off, and getting between 30- and 55 fps, although it hovers in the low 30s when in demanding areas. Decided to turn of v-sync and im not noticing any tearing. With the blur on, game feels smooth all the time. I "only" have ssao on though.. wonder if i should try out hbao+ and see if it keeps me above 30.

W Hudson

Starting to get really pissed with this game. Was having crash issues in 1.03, finally fixed that by turning V Sync off. Now with 1.04 I'm getting crashes every 10-15 minutes. I should add that these are crashes that are causing my PC to reset every time. I am on a quest right now in the rain, don't know if that's the cause of it. I've got a 780 running at stock settings, if that helps.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Starting to get really pissed with this game. Was having crash issues in 1.03, finally fixed that by turning V Sync off. Now with 1.04 I'm getting crashes every 10-15 minutes. I should add that these are crashes that are causing my PC to reset every time. I am on a quest right now in the rain, don't know if that's the cause of it. I've got a 780 running at stock settings, if that helps.

Have you oc'd your cpu? I have mine oc'd and it worked great with other games, but The Witcher 3 kept crashing on me for unknown reasons, both 1.03 and 1.04, mostly throwing me back to desktop but sometimes giving be a bsod. Got the tip to try to lower the clock or up the voltage, which i did, and now it hasnt crashed for like 15 hours of play time.

hermeslyre

Neo Member

You may be able to fix this by rolling back to an older driver version, 350.12 or 347.xx, It's helped a lot of us. That's assuming it's a normalish GPU display driver crash, you say it's causing a restart, which is not what I experience getting dispaly driver crashes with the new Nvidia drivers.

If that works, then it's a tradeoff. The new 353.06 driver that came out yesterday is supposed to give a nice performance boost with your 780.

mintyice

The game actually runs a bit better for me now with the new driver. EVGA GTX 760 SC 2gb here. Turned on reshader and some sweetfx now and it's looking great.

GeneralDirtyAffenpinscher.gif

Gold Member
Was having some serious stability issues this evening using the new NVIDIA driver. Tried pretty much everything I could think of including down clocking my GPU. Finally got it stable by installing the latest MSI Afterburner (4.1.1) and following a guide on turning off the NVIDIA Streamer Service for Sheild.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/28332/article/witcher-3-crash-fix-guide-for-nvidia-gpus/

Well I'm hoping that's what it was, but it was stable for 5 hours of play this evening using my usual overclock. Worth a try for you guys who are crashing a lot still (I was every 5 minutes or so, really annoying). If nothing else it will rule it out ;-)

Edit: Once stable I was getting ~5FPS increase with the new driver on a 980 btw.

The major compromise being 30fps, which I don't mind too much in a non-action heavy game like this, I'm pretty happy with the visuals on my 670.

Only thing i don't have on high/ultra is grass density and draw distance.

Panda Rin

7950, running a mixture of medium/high settings. No AO, and shadows on low...getting good performance around 55-60fps.

Was getting worse performance before, because I was running the game on borderless window mode..after switching to full-screen, the stuttering went away and it gave me a pretty significant FPS boost (5-10 fps)

Have anyone here tried this "mod" yet?
AMD Performance DLL
Basically, it's just putting 4 DLL files in the Witcher 3 folder. Reports said it increases 5-10 fps.

Gonna give this a shot now and see...benchmarking during the day at Hierarch square should be good enough, yes?

edit: yeah it's not doing anything for me.

AMD Performance DLL
Basically, it's just putting 4 DLL files in the Witcher 3 folder. Reports said it increases 5-10 fps.

Oh, this is neat. I'm running the Windows 10 1023 driver (modded for Windows 8) and was wondering whether I should move up to the newer one. I'll try this and see what happens to my FPS. Edit: No change in performance from 1023 (47fps in this one bit of Novigrad). Either it doesn't work, or 1036 is pretty much the same as 1023, at least on a 270X.

AMD Performance DLL

that's not how it works, those DLL files are for getting the app profiles into the W10 driver, you won't get any overhead improvements using 15.x drivers.

edit: and the W10 1036+ drivers already have those profiles anyway so is kinda pointless.

Tankshell

There are several different shadow LOD settings in the user.settings file you can tweak, but I'm not sure which one affects this particular issue. I'll have to poke around in there after work and see which one is the one you should tweak. Keep in mind there will probably be a performance impact in getting the shadows to draw farther away, so YMMV.

Cool thanks. I actually went into the ini file and fiddled with some of the shadow distance variables, think I have managed to extend them quite a lot now without hurting my performance. Much better. Hurrah!

Now if only there were a way to fix the broken shadows in interiors I would be a happy man!

Does GOG Galaxy mess with the game files...?

The reason I ask is that I downloaded Galaxy last night and now my game is back at version 1.02. I have set the software to not download updates so I have no idea how a game I was playing last night (1.04) has now gone back to 1.02. I have made no alterations to the game / files.

Edit:

Running the patches says it is already patched.

Thank **** I kept the installation files that is all I can say.

Edit 2: And Galaxy thinks the game hasn't even been released yet. It states "waiting for release" and the play button is greyed out. I think I will uninstall the bloody lot of it.

Does GOG Galaxy mess with the game files...?

The reason I ask is that I downloaded Galaxy last night and now my game is back at version 1.02. I have set the software to not download updates so I have no idea how a game I was playing last night (1.04) has now gone back to 1.02. I have made no alterations to the game / files.

Edit:

Running the patches says it is already patched.

Thank **** I kept the installation files that is all I can say.

Edit 2: And Galaxy thinks the game hasn't even been released yet. It states "waiting for release" and the play button is greyed out. I think I will uninstall the bloody lot of it.

Not quite sure what you're saying but GOG Galaxy will tell you haven't played the game yet and other weird shit unless you connect at all times. I doubt you've been rolled back to 1.02, just that gog galaxy hasn't got the info and it's a bare bones new client that needs much work.

Not quite sure what you're saying but GOG Galaxy will tell you haven't played the game yet and other weird shit unless you connect at all times. I doubt you've been rolled back to 1.02, just that gog galaxy hasn't got the info and it's a bare bones new client that needs much work.

The game was saying I was at 1.02 (bottom left when in game) and I couldn't load my save as it was saved in a newer version. Thankfully I had all the setup files so I just uninstalled the game. I have no idea what happened as it was fine last night. The only difference was GOG Galaxy being installed.

Zakalwe

Banned
To try the new drivers or not...

Not had a crash for ages, I'm currently using the GTAV set.

What is everyone else doing?

Blitzhex

Wow, I'm baffled.
My gpu was sagging at the end so i put this souvenir under it to prop it up. It only touches the corner of the shroud and is quite small.
I launch Witcher 3 after that and suddenly my card is running at 88c and the fans are getting maxed at 100% instead of 69-73c at 50% fanspeed.
WTF.

Edit: Ok figured it out, there was some sweet spot to gpu height. If I prop up the sagging part 1mm too high the temperatures increase by like 20c. Lowered the souvenir by literally 1mm and I'm back to 68c. Doesn't make any sense.

Kamina

Golden Boy
To try the new drivers or not...

Not had a crash for ages, I'm currently using the GTAV set.

What is everyone else doing?
Rolling back just as I am writing this, never had crashes before but since 353.06 i'm getting a crash every 15 minutes...

negru08

Neo Member
So has anyone found out why if I overclock my gpu the game crashes during gwent or inventory but doesnt if I turn off my overclock? Funny thing is though even when I dont use any OC profile my graphic card is already factory overclocked and it has no issues with that OC.

Before people go saying its not stable I have had this OC for numerous games that hit harder and look better and no crash. Its a stable OC. But just for shits and giggles I tried with just a measly 5 to the core and it still crashes.

Has anyone else experienced issues since the nVidia updates yesterday that added support for the 980 Ti? I can't verify myself, but my wife tells me that she's had the game crash multiple times today, and we haven't had any issues like that since the 1.03 patch. Seeing as how I updated drivers last night, that seemed like the most likely suspect, but just curious if anyone else is having troubles with the new nVidia drivers.

ran fine for me with new drivers. GTX 980

Kamina

Golden Boy
So has anyone found out why if I overclock my gpu the game crashes during gwent or inventory but doesnt if I turn off my overclock? Funny thing is though even when I dont use any OC profile my graphic card is already factory overclocked and it has no issues with that OC.

Before people go saying its not stable I have had this OC for numerous games that hit harder and look better and no crash. Its a stable OC. But just for shits and giggles I tried with just a measly 5 to the core and it still crashes.
I'm OCing mt GTX980 too and didn't have any crashes before 353.06

tuxfool

Banned
that's not how it works, those DLL files are for getting the app profiles into the W10 driver, you won't get any overhead improvements using 15.x drivers.

edit: and the W10 1036+ drivers already have those profiles anyway so is kinda pointless.

It should be noted that the Windows 10 drivers offer lower overheads in dx11 multithreaded environments. They may functionally have the same profiles as the 15.5 drivers for the witcher but also offer lower CPU overheads for those that are more limited CPU wise.

So i'm experiencing terrible stutter even though I'm using gsync and a overclocked titan X. I think it's time to upgrade my CPU (i5-3570k @ 3.8ghz) as it appears to throttle my GPU performance; in MSI afterburner, the CPU is clearly hitting its peak. Which CPU is a good upgrade at this point? i7-4790K or i7-5820K?

negru08

Neo Member
I'm OCing mt GTX980 too and didn't have any crashes before 353.06

Hmm I have had crashes since release. What is your OC set to? I have tried going back 12 previous drivers. That didnt help. I have tied changing some settings in nvidia control panel. Didnt work .

Kade

I've been getting some really bad lockups lately that render my PC inoperable until I force restart it from the computer's case. Same issue I posted during launch week, in fact, and it happened across three different drivers. Whatever sound, song or dialogue that started would play out until it is supposed to end but after that, it's just silence. Anyone have the same issue and/or know how to fix it? Only happen with this game.

Top Bottom