• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Has anyone gotten the game to lock at a smooth 30 fps?

Even when using Rivatuner to cap it, the game feels incredibly jittery. Dark Souls runs with its built-in fps cap but feels incredibly smooth by comparison even at 30 fps. I did a frame time test to compare them and it's pretty clear something is wrong

gUkAXJ9.png

daninthemix

Even when using Rivatuner to cap it, the game feels incredibly jittery. Dark Souls runs with its built-in fps cap but feels incredibly smooth by comparison even at 30 fps. I did a frame time test to compare them and it's pretty clear something is wrong

I use Nvidia Inspector and half-refresh v-sync (in-game limiter turned off). Motion blur enabled. Is certainly tolerable for me. I can't promise on a bible that I'm getting exactly 30 frames at exactly 33.33ms each, but it feels reasonably smooth.

I've noticed the exact same thing, and weirdly enough I even used Dark Souls when I was trying to judge smoothness.

How are you capturing and presenting your frametime data, by the way?

What are you using to measure frame times and the graph?

The recent patches have completely screwed up the performance of my 970. I used to get permanent 60, which would go down to around 50 in big cities, big battles or certain places in the wild. Now i get an almost permanent stuttering and very irregular fps, from 35-60

Majukun

The recent patches have completely screwed up the performance of my 970. I used to get permanent 60, which would go down to around 50 in big cities, big battles or certain places in the wild. Now i get an almost permanent stuttering and very irregular fps, from 35-60

yeah,didnt try measuring it with fraps but i'm noticing a lot more stuttering..but i don't know if it's the new nvidia drivers or the patch

Is any one running this game on a single 2GB GTX 670 and able to get near or hit 60fps @ 1080? I have one in my secondary PC and no matter what settings I change I cannot hit 60fps or close to it. I am running drivers 353.06 on patch 1.05.

In fact changing any setting has a negligible framerate increase/decrease. I top out at 40fps with everything on high & ultra (except hairworks). Of course I don't expect to be getitng 60fps with these settings but if I drop the settings to low/medium, remove HBAO+, light shafts etc I gain around 4-8fps at most. It seems utterly bizarre that such variations in settings is having little effect on the framerate. My processor is a I5-4440 and 8GB RAM @ 1600MHz.

tioslash

I´m using RivaTuner to cap it, Vsync in-game off, Borderless Window Mode, Unlimited Frame Rate in-game.

RivaTuner OSD shows me a perfect 33.3ms at all times, but the game feels VERY jittery most of the time.

ru55lee

Neo Member
Is any one running this game on a single 2GB GTX 670 and able to get near or hit 60fps @ 1080? I have one in my secondary PC and no matter what settings I change I cannot hit 60fps or close to it. I am running drivers 353.06 on patch 1.05.

In fact changing any setting has a negligible framerate increase/decrease. I top out at 40fps with everything on high & ultra (except hairworks). Of course I don't expect to be getitng 60fps with these settings but if I drop the settings to low/medium, remove HBAO+, light shafts etc I gain around 4-8fps at most. It seems utterly bizarre that such variations in settings is having little effect on the framerate. My processor is a I5-4440 and 8GB RAM @ 1600MHz.

I have 2 4GB 670 in sli and I just barely get 60fps with a mixture of high/ultra settings. The game is very demanding on my gpu's

Reading the comments on the mod's page and looks like if you kept the beard the fps hit will still be high. I tested it without the hair and beard with 4xAA hairworks and got around 60 fps riding around with Roach and the griffin's head outside of Novigrad. (3570K + 970)

Too bad the other trophies doesn't have hairworks :/

Not finding wolves or fiends atm but I'd guess it'll still drop somewhat when fighting 5 wolves or something.

Hopefully CD PR will put this in on the options menu in the future.

I've just tested it out myself as well. The mod is indeed working.
Hairworks off
aqDmxrh.jpg

Hairworks on w/o mod
6Tmn6X5.jpg

Hairworks on with mod
h5SKoDI.jpg
However, it seems that the beard is not getting the hairworks effect as well. Is there any way to disable hairworks on hair while enabling it on the beard? So, hairworks on everything (including beard) except Geralt's hair.

Qassim

I've just tested it out myself as well. The mod is indeed working.

However, it seems that the beard is not getting the hairworks effect as well. Is there any way to disable hairworks on hair while enabling it on the beard? So, hairworks on everything (including beard) except Geralt's hair.

yeah, there is a separate download on the mod page (on nexusmods) which only removes hair, doesn't touch the beard.

I've noticed the exact same thing, and weirdly enough I even used Dark Souls when I was trying to judge smoothness.

How are you capturing and presenting your frametime data, by the way?

I did a frame time benchmark with FRAPS over a minute of gameplay for each and opened the .csv data with FRAFS.

I've tried a few different methods for locking framerate but none achieve that perfect smoothness. If I can run the game at 40+ fps constantly, shouldn't I be able to lock it at 30 and have it be perfectly smooth? Haha, I'm at least a little relieved to know it isn't just me experiencing this.

Does it feel this way on consoles? Anyone tried it on PS4?

Pro

Very pleasantly surprised last night. Picked up a second 7970 on Amazon for $160. Turned on Crossfire and followed the AMD Witcher 3 Optimization guide and I'm now getting 60FPS on Ultra settings (only Hair Works, DOF, and Motion Blur turned off). Dips to low 50s in heavily forested areas. It will even run at 45FPS with Hair Works turned on. Didn't think I'd get that big of an increase since it was running at 30-35FPS with a single 7970 and a couple other options turned off. It's a whole new game now at 60FPS. Only mad I didn't do it sooner. Had already put in 80 hours before this.

uncapped

I am running this on an r9 280x on my i3 4160 system.. I have hairworks off, shadows on medium, and foliage on medium, a slight over clock over stock, all else on ultra, 1080p, game runs nearly solid 60 for me. dips here and there, but for the most part, especially during quests or contracts it maintains a solid 60.

That conversation-scene lighting mod still isn't out? Talking about the one from the original creator.
He posted a new video the other day, but it quickly got hit with a copyright take down, which seemed to be due to the music he used in the video.

In the comment section of the video before that, he said something about being done with it for now. Guess that means he's given up on it for now...

edit: quoted wrong person lol

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
He posted a new video the other day, but it quickly got hit with a copyright take down, which seemed to be due to the music he used in the video.

In the comment section of the video before that, he said something about being done with it for now. Guess that means he's given up on it for now...

Well that sucks. Was looking forward to this greatly.

jett

D-Member

The game simply stutters whenever you reach a new area.

yeah, there is a separate download on the mod page (on nexusmods) which only removes hair, doesn't touch the beard.

Ah, right.
It seems I ignored it haha. Thlanks, I'll try it later.

I refuse to play this game before more patches and probably another Nvidia driver. I'm doing full Ultra at 30FPS right now on an OC'd 970.

Hardcore mod is amazing but I think even CD is going to patch the mess of balance they have going here.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/m...age=1&sort=DESC&pid=0&thread_id=2927449&pUp=1

Give the hardcore mod some love! It's changing to our interests all the time.

That's so hardcore lol.
I might give it a try on my 2nd playthrough, or if the NG+ were not too challenging.

didamangi

I refuse to play this game before more patches and probably another Nvidia driver. I'm doing full Ultra at 30FPS right now on an OC'd 970.

Hardcore mod is amazing but I think even CD is going to patch the mess of balance they have going here.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/m...age=1&sort=DESC&pid=0&thread_id=2927449&pUp=1

1080p? You can get 50-60 fps easily just by dropping foliage distance and shadows to high, assuming hairworks is already off.

I'm getting aggressive pop-in during cutscenes. Geralt's beard often isn't there when it cuts to him, and then pops in a second later. I've got a 970 and the game handles pop in pretty well in the open world, but in cutscenes it's a fucking nightmare.

Yeah, ever since patch 1.04? the hair/beard pop-in is annoying. At least there's a fix for npc pop-in a few pages back, no one knows a fix for the hair/beard pop-in yet though.

Lunar15

I'm getting aggressive pop-in during cutscenes. Geralt's beard often isn't there when it cuts to him, and then pops in a second later. I've got a 970 and the game handles pop in pretty well in the open world, but in cutscenes it's a fucking nightmare.

JRW

I dont know what Dark Souls is doing different but it's the smoothest 30fps I've experienced on PC to the point I had to verify fps with Fraps. I wish all PC games handled 30fps the same way, although luckily we run most at 60fps. (Witcher 3 is better suited for 30fps on my Evga 670 FTW).

Dries

Aaaw man, it'll probably pop up in the future some time though....

Also, I'm pretty sure, but just asking to be ultra-sure: I can't apply DSR with Borderless Window, right? DSR only works with full-screen.

Aaaw man, it'll probably pop up in the future some time though....

Also, I'm pretty sure, but just asking to be ultra-sure: I can't apply DSR with Borderless Window, right? DSR only works with full-screen.

That's correct, unless you change your desktop resolution to you preferred DSR res and then launch the game in borderless mode (but beware, this uses more VRAM than just using DSR in fullscreen mode).

Pleasantly surprised at performance.

i5 4590k @ 4.4ghz, R9 270X, Windows 8.1

At 2560x1440 with most things on high/ultra I can get a solid 30FPS, game looks stunning.

V-sync and 30FPS cap in game seems fine to me in terms of smoothness.

Running 15.20.1038 Windows 10 drivers.

Tis really bootiful like

hoserx

Pleasantly surprised at performance.

i5 4590k @ 4.4ghz, R9 270X, Windows 8.1

At 2560x1440 with most things on high/ultra I can get a solid 30FPS, game looks stunning.

V-sync and 30FPS cap in game seems fine to me in terms of smoothness.

Running 15.20.1038 Windows 10 drivers.

Tis really bootiful like
http://i.imgur.com/Zpo5Ttw.jpg

Great pic. I haven't gotten to that area yet, (I don't think) but I am looking forward to it.

Grechy34

I am running this on an r9 280x on my i3 4160 system.. I have hairworks off, shadows on medium, and foliage on medium, a slight over clock over stock, all else on ultra, 1080p, game runs nearly solid 60 for me. dips here and there, but for the most part, especially during quests or contracts it maintains a solid 60.

Interesting the impact that foliage and shadows have. When I turn those down from Ultra to High I get a huge response on frames and the impact to the in game look isn't huge.

Dunno if this is the best place to ask, but is it better for me to get this on PS4 or PC? These are my specs:

i5 4590 @ 3.3ghz, 750 Ti 2GB, 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1

I'd only be looking to play it at 30fps anyway so would I get better visuals/performance from 1080/30 on PC?

Dunno if this is the best place to ask, but is it better for me to get this on PS4 or PC? These are my specs:

I'd only be looking to play it at 30fps anyway so would I get better visuals/performance from 1080/30 on PC?
Go for the PC. Especially if you're locking it at 30fps. Better IQ, more options to customize your IQ/general settings and IIRC 750 Ti is "good enough" for 1080p/30fps with no issues.

Digital Foundry did an i3 4130 GTX 750 ti/PS4 performance analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGf4SVWEw2g

Your CPU is more capable with 2 additional cores, but I imagine the GPU will be the bottleneck in most cases. Based on the analysis, it appears that you should expect similar performance at similar settings. Overclocking the 750 ti a bit will smooth out some dips.

Personally, in that situation, I'd always go PC for mod support, tweaking options, backwards compatibility down the road and the fact if you upgrade your hardware, your game improves with it, but obviously, I'm sure you have your own platform preferences.

daninthemix

Done some more testing and it seems that half-refresh v-sync alone is enough to get a smooth, even 30fps. No need for frame-limiters and whatnot.

In-game settings: v-sync off, frame limit off, full-screen

Also, it feels better with motion blur off (and the other blur option off - what does that do exactly?).

Done some more testing and it seems that half-refresh v-sync alone is enough to get a smooth, even 30fps. No need for frame-limiters and whatnot.

In-game settings: v-sync off, frame limit off, full-screen

Also, it feels better with motion blur off (and the other blur option off - what does that do exactly?).

I'll have to try that because the earlier recommendation of borderless + Rivatuner's FPS cap isn't cutting it.

uncapped

Interesting the impact that foliage and shadows have. When I turn those down from Ultra to High I get a huge response on frames and the impact to the in game look isn't huge.

Yeah.. At first I thought maybe I could get away with ultra foliage and shadows, then ultra shadows and medium foliage..even though shadows aren't such a massive hit, I do find that medium is the most stable setting..

Nice to see this is getting fleshed out a bit more. The 1.0 build just seemed horribly masochistic and not fun. Still not sure 1.7 is what I'm looking for in terms of difficulty- he admits that it's really designed to for jack of all trades/balanced and not for specific sign/combat/alchemy builds.

daninthemix

I'll have to try that because the earlier recommendation of borderless + Rivatuner's FPS cap isn't cutting it.

I would caveat that, in my opinion, Witcher 3 will never feel entirely smooth at any frame-rate, simply because the animation isn't particularly smooth when running with either Geralt or Roach. You may be getting a 'perfect' 30 or 60 frames, but it simply doesn't look as smooth as that would imply due to the hitchy animation.

Dries

I would caveat that, in my opinion, Witcher 3 will never feel entirely smooth at any frame-rate, simply because the animation isn't particularly smooth when running with either Geralt or Roach. You may be getting a 'perfect' 30 or 60 frames, but it simply doesn't look as smooth as that would imply due to the hitchy animation.

The truth. You'll never get rid of the animation loop/hitch while walking on horseback. I've just accepted it and just play the fucking game. This issue and when entering new areas is where the game start to stutter for me. I'm playing at a G-synced 40 fps

Digital Foundry did an i3 4130 GTX 750 ti/PS4 performance analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGf4SVWEw2g

Your CPU is more capable with 2 additional cores, but I imagine the GPU will be the bottleneck in most cases. Based on the analysis, it appears that you should expect similar performance at similar settings. Overclocking the 750 ti a bit will smooth out some dips.

Personally, in that situation, I'd always go PC for mod support, tweaking options, backwards compatibility down the road and the fact if you upgrade your hardware, your game improves with it, but obviously, I'm sure you have your own platform preferences.

No problems.
Take a look at this also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqzd2uiTIlA

and the whole Digital Foundry Witcher 3 article.

edit: beaten like a drowner. :D
Awesome, thanks :) yeah I think I will go for it on PC when I get round to it. Working through 2 atm :)

Top Bottom