• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

GHG

I don't know if anybody else has been keeping up with this, but as of 7 hours ago this guy has finally gotten the cutscene lighting mod working and is testing a release. Hype.

Looks fantastic. Thanks for posting, will check it out when it releases.

I don't think there is a big performance difference because there doesn't seem to be a big difference in graphical effects.

I think it is way more inconsistent and there are many shots where I prefer the vanilla version. Many shots have overly high contrasts where every shadow looks like complete darkness. Normal lights seem to barely give any light to their surrounding.

But then I loathe many of the SweetFX changes too where people do the same things. Somehow associating a desaturated and higher contrast look with more realistic and upgrades.

That particular modded screenshot reminds me of what the world looks like after swimming in a heavy chlorinated pool for a long period of time.

There are likely scenarios where the cutscene lighting works out better and scenes where the vanilla light holds up better.

I'll take Vanilla.

I think the mod looks awful.

Also, these 1.05 problems means I'll stick to 1.04 for a while. Loading times seem to be longer in 1.04 than in 1.03 too though. I also have entire buildings take a bit to load when I first start the game back up. It's pretty funny, but after 30 seconds or so the "glitches" stop happening. I figure it's just loading everything into memory still.

Perhaps the longer load times is to avoid the "loading in" being seen.

This is a silly mod. The lighting is tweaked during conversations to make faces look better in specific angles during close-ups.

Jesus guys... It's just a mod, not an assault on the existence of your hobby. If you don't like the look of it, don't install it. Mods aren't for everyone but no need to be so damn negative about it all. You can still enjoy the game as it is.

Jesus guys... It's just a mod, not an assault on the existence of your hobby. If you don't like the look of it, don't install it. Mods aren't for everyone but no need to be so damn negative about it all. You can still enjoy the game as it is.

I wasn't trying to suggest anything like that. I was just saying what I thought of that one screenshot. I think that particular example looks hazy and blown out. Other areas look fine with the mod based on the video. Didn't mean to be excessively negative.

blado

I swear this crashing is so random. I play for 2 hours yesterday with no issues whatsoever. Today I play and 3 minutes in I get a driver crash. Don't think I can rollback either since I have a 980 ti.

Google it, a modest OC is very simple.

Download MSI Afterburner and Kombustor.

First attempt leave the voltage alone, set the Power Limit to max, raise the Core Clock by 50, apply, run the Kombuster benchmark to test stability. If stable then up by 50 and test again.

Keep going until you it becomes unstable. Then dial back to a point you're happy with.

Then do the same wit Memory Clock. +100 at a time.

After both are set you can stress test for a few hours with Furmark.

Example guide.

Thanks a bunch, will try tomorrow.

Just know that TW3 is a cruel mistress with overclocks. Went through all the trouble on Unigine to overclock and ran a few other stress tests, then went back to square one while trying to use them in-game.

Once you get an oc you think is stable, go in game and run around the abandoned village then talk to some npc's and a battle or two. Mess around with the menus as well. If you can juggle all that without incident, you'll be in the clear.

Just know that TW3 is a cruel mistress with overclocks. Went through all the trouble on Unigine to overclock and ran a few other stress tests, then went back to square one while trying to use them in-game.

Once you get an oc you think is stable, go in game and run around the abandoned village then talk to some npc's and a battle or two. Mess around with the menus as well. If you can juggle all that without incident, you'll be in the clear.
Yep, basically if you ever thought you had a sturdy overclock on pretty much any game, TW3 will tell you you're wrong.

Looks fantastic. Thanks for posting, will check it out when it releases.
It's out now on the nexus.

Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference unless you do a direct comparison, but one thing that ALWAYS looks so much better is the character lighting. It looks extremely fake with the vanilla lighting, the characters are always so well lit it looks unnatural.

This is still a very early mod though, so there are some "issues". Grass rendering is a bit different, with AO showing up much more around the pieces of grass, and in some conditions the AO becomes extremely dark and is pretty ugly. Also, a storm rolled in while I was playing and the whole atmosphere looked much different than vanilla lighting. Also the bloom is very different compared to vanilla, sometimes being a bit too much.

Not sure if these things are even fixable, but I'm glad someone is even attempting this. It's already pretty damn good right now, and I imagine when the mod tools come out those will help make things even better.\

edit: Link to the mod

Could someone express the joy of running this game at 60fps? I'm stuck with the PS4 version and the framerate drops are driving me insane

It's sex.

I ordered PC parts and built my PC on impulse for this game, and I couldn't have picked a better game. It's seriously becoming one of my favorite games of all time. And it looks great at 1080/60/High-Ultra

It's sex.

I ordered PC parts and built my PC on impulse for this game, and I couldn't have picked a better game. It's seriously becoming one of my favorite games of all time. And it looks great at 1080/60/High-Ultra
Thanks for your input my friend! The game on PS4 looks beautiful but man the framerate dropping below 30fps is urging me to build a Gaming pc as soon as possible

Here is a comparison of the lighting mod during a light rain storm. I should also note I haven't noticed any difference in performance with the mod.

Not exactly sure why the skies are so different, the pics were taken after a fresh start up of the game so it shouldn't be bugged out.

No Reshade or SweetFx.

Edit: After doing another fresh start up with the lighting mod enabled, the sky was different again, no clouds at all. So I did some more testing, fresh start up multiple times with the mod disabled, and yeah...the weather/lighting/sky seems to be slightly different every time the game loads, from the exact same save. Guess that's just how their dynamic weather stuff works.

Vanilla Lighting
Uco3cpW.jpg

Modded Lighting
0jFJMFa.jpg

Here is a comparison of the lighting mod during a light rain storm. I should also note I haven't noticed any difference in performance with the mod.

Not exactly sure why the skies are so different, the pics were taken after a fresh start up of the game so it shouldn't be bugged out.

No Reshade or SweetFx.

Edit: After doing another fresh start up with the lighting mod enabled, the sky was different again, no clouds at all. So I did some more testing, fresh start up multiple times with the mod disabled, and yeah...the weather/lighting/sky seems to be slightly different every time the game loads, from the exact same save. Guess that's just how their dynamic weather stuff works.

both of those shots look so dark o_O

Kiyoshi

Anyone know why sweetfx and RTSS may have stopped working for me since the 1.05 patch? I'm having to stick with the vanilla look and use the in-game v-sync at the moment because they're both no longer working. Not sure what to look for?

Anyone know why sweetfx and RTSS may have stopped working for me since the 1.05 patch? I'm having to stick with the vanilla look and use the in-game v-sync at the moment because they're both no longer working. Not sure what to look for?

Any other overlay programs running? or mods?
I'm running the game with sweetfx and rtss just fine in 1.05.

b0uncyfr0

No one else experiencing long loading times after 1.05? It takes me almost a minute and half now to load my save when i start it up. Ive tried removing my overclock, getting rid of .ini changes, disabling/enabling pagefile and checking my SSD for abnormalities. Still NOTHING!!

A minute and half is atrocious, especially when it was less than 15 seconds in 1.04. What in the actual f**k happened?

There's a thread on CDPR forums, but two pages only. It might be a very specific bug and so far i have no f**king clue.

RE4PRR

From what I've read on Reddit, the Cutscene Lighting Mod currently on Nexus is NOT the one from the videos posted by Essenthy Onigami, just by someone trying to steal his thunder.

He has a video up on Vimeo which is much better then youtube to show the comparisons between the vanilla and Modded lighting.

Whether there will be an actual difference to the versions though remains to be seen.

No nothing else. They're the only extras I'm using, otherwise it's just the standard GOG version of the game.

In that case, I've no idea then.

From what I've read on Reddit, the Cutscene Lighting Mod currently on Nexus is NOT the one from the videos posted by Essenthy Onigami, just by someone trying to steal his thunder.

He has a video up on Vimeo which is much better then youtube to show the comparisons between the vanilla and Modded lighting.

Whether there will be an actual difference to the versions though remains to be seen.

I suspected as much. The author on nexus is different with the one from youtube. I won't install it yet.
Anyway, there's another video on vimeo that explains the differences.

Wow...this seems completely true. Smh.

martino

i7 950@4ghz + 980ti
dsr1296@60fps everything max with hairwroks (down to 50 when lot of hairworks monster like wolves)
Down to constant 50 in swamp (even without bad meteo) this areas seems to need optimization

Tomodachi

Is there a way to make nights less fucking BRIGHT? I get there's always a full moon the size of Australia almost touching the planet but still, sometimes I can't even understand what time is it if I don't look at the ingame clock. Doesn't help that there's like 20 hours of light and 4 of dark in this world (yeah, Polish summer etc, I get that).
I miss Dragon's Dogma's terrifying nights :( It would be cool to be forced to use a torch or a cat potion even at night, not only in caves.

Gamma is already set correctly and I'm not using any reshader btw.

viveks86

Anyway, there's another video on vimeo that explains the differences.

These are far better comparisons than the ones done earlier. Now I'm actually excited to try it out. Interesting observations about IBL. I wonder why they were not able to get it working throughout, since the performance cost seems minimal according to the modder. May be it doesn't work very well during gameplay? Hmmm

fastmower

No one else experiencing long loading times after 1.05? It takes me almost a minute and half now to load my save when i start it up. Ive tried removing my overclock, getting rid of .ini changes, disabling/enabling pagefile and checking my SSD for abnormalities. Still NOTHING!!

A minute and half is atrocious, especially when it was less than 15 seconds in 1.04. What in the actual f**k happened?

There's a thread on CDPR forums, but two pages only. It might be a very specific bug and so far i have no f**king clue.

I have, since the latest patch. This is on an SSD too. Quite annoying.

Rwinterhalter

Neo Member
Does rain tank the framerate for everyone else? I've got a 970 on ultra except HW off, High foliage distance and shadows. It runs at a unshakable 60 with perfect frame pacing except when it rains, particularly in Novigrad. Then it jumps between 50 and 60 like a yo-yo.

I can't seem to find the setting that would help with the drop. Lowering shadows or switching of HBAO+ don't change it.

Tomodachi

Does rain tank the framerate for everyone else? I've got a 970 on ultra except HW off, High foliage distance and shadows. It runs at a unshakable 60 with perfect frame pacing except when it rains, particularly in Novigrad. Then it jumps between 50 and 60 like a yo-yo.

I can't seem to find the setting that would help with the drop. Lowering shadows or switching of HBAO+ don't change it.
Yeah, rain is a bitch, although in Novigrad I don't get below 60 with an OCed 970 and foliage and shadows at high, even when it rains. Outside of Novigrad it's a whole different story, especially if it's also dawn/sunset and there's a lot of trees in the distance or all around.

Tankshell

Yep. I'm also sad that the rain doesn't even have a little distortion/wet effect like it did in Witcher 2, the rain looked amazing in that game! Here it just looks like lots of little white lines. Also, the rain drops seem to totally disappear depending on which direction the camera is facing, anyone else get this? Meh.

Zakalwe

Banned
Could someone express the joy of running this game at 60fps? I'm stuck with the PS4 version and the framerate drops are driving me insane

It's glorious. It's the amount of detail that makes it look so great with the clarity of 60fps. It's one of the games that truly benefits from it visually.

People who are locking at 30 to increase visual effects are losing out imo.

Giving an opinion that it looks bad is valid dude, nothing wrong with it. They're not just being negative for the sake of it.

I think vanilla looks better too. Every Sweet FX mod and visual edit so far has sucked the life from the visuals imo.

No problem. Until you get into increasing voltage you don't have to worry, if you get suck at all feel free to PM me.

So don't get the lighting mod from Nexus, but wait for the one from the original creator. Check.

What?

The original person doesn't have a monopoly on this, if someone beat them to the punch that's no reason to boycott or shame them.

Faith

It's just another world.

I also tried to play it with 30fps locked & downsampling (3840x1620->2560x1080). The game looked better and sharper for sure, but it was way less fun that way.

Diablos

Okay, so I'm thinking this is the best place to ask:

I played Witcher 3 at my friend's place on his PS4 and was loving it. I was satisfied with the visual quality; what exactly does that translate to in PC settings? Has this been figured out yet?

I have a FX6300 and GTX 660. I wouldn't go above 1080p. If it matches or barely exceeds PS4 quality I'd be happy (even if locked at 30fps).

Thanks.

Dries

The best thing to do is calibrate your monitor and run the game in windowed fullscreen mode so you can actually use your own icc profile. This way you don't have to mess with in-game gamma settings which can get wonky at best.

I was wondering: how can you tell if a game is using the desktop color settings as the standard? When this is the case then even in Full Screen the game should be using the ICC profile from the desktop right?

I'm asking because I'm using a ICC profile and when I switch between Borderless Window and Full Screen mode, I don't see any difference at all. So I just assumed the game was applying my ICC profile whatever rendering mode I chose. I tried both TW3 and GTA V but never saw a difference.

The reason I want Full screen is because I want my G-sync. But I also want games to make use of my ICC profile, which I got from tftcentral btw.

I applied my ICC profile with help from this page: https://pcmonitors.info/articles/using-icc-profiles-in-windows/

They also talk a lot about ICC profiles and how games work with them.

RE4PRR

What?

The original person doesn't have a monopoly on this, if someone beat them to the punch that's no reason to boycott or shame them.

I think it's more to do with the fact that the other one released appears to be rush and doesn't affect everywhere, let alone it's quite buggy to run. Quite a few people are confusing the one released to the version that has been shown off in the videos and by that particular person, so they're judging it's effects on the wrong one.

But saying that they could be completely identical and both could be as buggy as the other. Have to wait until it's out before passing full judgement.

I played Witcher 3 at my friend's place on his PS4 and was loving it. I was satisfied with the visual quality; what exactly does that translate to in PC settings? Has this been figured out yet?

I have a FX6300 and GTX 660. I wouldn't go above 1080p. If it matches or barely exceeds PS4 quality I'd be happy (even if locked at 30fps).

Thanks.

THe game on PS4 is low, medium, and high settings, and perhaps with one very high setting in there (post processing value wise). It generally looks similar at close to medium distances.

A 660 would be a similar to PS4 experience from what we know about the games performance, in some areas it could even be noticably better (the card is on average better than a 750Ti which offers par performance (and better) with an overclock).

daninthemix

I've tried both, and I prefer locked 30 in this case. You never, ever think about frame-rate and can simply lose yourself in the world, whereas the periodic tearing and/or frame-drops I was getting at 60 takes me out of the game momentarily.

Of course I could solve all that by going G-sync, but that'll have to wait.

s_mirage

It depends on how sensitive you are to frame drops. I'd rather have locked 30 than stuttering between 50 and 60. The loss of framerate is jarring and this game also compounds the problem by stuttering excessively (or should I say lurching) when the framerate isn't locked.

Hmm, I suppose I could always set the monitor to 50Hz refresh and lock it to that.

The problem is, my card can't manage to hit 60 fps no matter what settings I use.
Even on all low, my PC can only achieve 50 fps. I'd rather set it to ultra and cap it at 30 fps.

tuxfool

Banned
These are far better comparisons than the ones done earlier. Now I'm actually excited to try it out. Interesting observations about IBL. I wonder why they were not able to get it working throughout, since the performance cost seems minimal according to the modder. May be it doesn't work very well during gameplay? Hmmm

I seem to recall somebody saying sometimes it breaks things. But it could just be the mod...

It's just another world.

I also tried to play it with 30fps locked & downsampling (3840x1620->2560x1080). The game looked better and sharper for sure, but it was way less fun that way.

I agree, I was doing the same for around 20 hours. Now running it at 60fps without DSR, hairworks and foliage on high and it's a much, much better experience.

Zakalwe

Banned
I think it's more to do with the fact that the other one released appears to be rush and doesn't affect everywhere, let alone it's quite buggy to run. Quite a few people are confusing the one released to the version that has been shown off in the videos and by that particular person, so they're judging it's effects on the wrong one.

But saying that they could be completely identical and both could be as buggy as the other. Have to wait until it's out before passing full judgement.

Exactly.

It does look like the other modder is putting more effort in, if their release is superior it will naturally overwrite the other without the need for shaming.

The problem is, my card can't manage to hit 60 fps no matter what settings I use.
Even on all low, my PC can only achieve 50 fps. I'd rather set it to ultra and cap it at 30 fps.

Well, obviously! :p

It depends on how sensitive you are to frame drops. I'd rather have locked 30 than stuttering between 50 and 60. The loss of framerate is jarring and this game also compounds the problem by stuttering excessively (or should I say lurching) when the framerate isn't locked.

Hmm, I suppose I could always set the monitor to 50Hz refresh and lock it to that.

Unfair comparisons. Of course locked rates are better.

30 locked with more visual effects, or 60 locked with less. The latter is better here imo simply because the amount of detail in this world benefits greatly from the clarity in motion.

Zakalwe

Banned

Thanks.

You'll be able to tweak visuals to score solid 30fps.

Not sure exactly how it will compare settings wise to ps4, but it won't be far off either way.

Will be a much smoother gameplay experience though. Plus mods!

ys45

Damn it, my computer started overheating yesterday night, had no problem until now (80h of game play)
Happened during end of act 1 there is a lot of scene and it crash when doing scene transition (loading to get to next scene) for example between
the snow balls fight between Geralt and Ciri
and the next scene .

I get a black screen and then my computer reboot and I get beeping noises and I have to unplug/replug computer so it can boot again .

According to my crash dump viewer, issue is with the file dxgkrnl.sys causing the crash .
So I want to monitor my CPU/GPU temp but I still cannot Alt-Tab in the game even after 1.05 .

Is this normal ?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm not overclocking

Does anyone know the setting in the renderings.ini file that will make the textures stream a lot further away from camera for the characters? I'm getting this annoying pop in of detailed textures when I'm in the city. It happens on the characters only. Or is this a bug?

Using a Titan X, so everyone else must be seeing it too.

Top Bottom