• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Denzar

Constant 60FPS on my rig.

GTX970
10 GB RAM
i7 3990 @ 3.4 GHz

Everything on Ultra except shadows on high and I turned off Vignette, sharpening and Chromatic Abberation 'cause fuck that. Game looks crisp as hell and runs like a dream. Never expected these results.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Getting like 13 FPS in this game for some reason and awful lip syncing. Meet the requirements with an Intel Core i5-4690K, GTX 770 and 16GB Memory. Running through GOG Galaxy. Have the latest Nvidia driver: 353.30. Scoured the net and followed this setup for my settings:

Post Processing
Motion Blur: Off
Blur: Off
AA: Off
Bloom: On
Sharpening: Low
AO: None
Depth of Field: Off
Chromatic Aberration: Off
Vignette: Off
Light Shafts: On

Video Settings
Vsync: Off
Maximum Frames Per Second: Unlimited
Resolution: 1366x768
Display Mode: Borderless Window
Hairworks: Off
Number of background characters: Low
Shadows: Medium
Terrain quality: Low
Water quality: Medium
Grass: Medium
Textures: High
Foliage range: Low
Detail level: Low
Hardware Cursor: On

Been working on this for a few hours and have only been able to reach the first bar through all my testing and retesting of my settings and I still can't find the issue.
EDIT: No real change switching to the 353.06 driver either
Go full screen over Borderless.

I had a 770 4GB and an i5 4440 (before I upgraded to an i7 4790 and a 970 since the 770 decided to take an error 43 vacation once I added in the i7) and I was getting 27-30fps at 1080p with most settings on high and ultra

Van Owen

Banned
Constant 60FPS on my rig.

GTX970
10 GB RAM
i7 3990 @ 3.4 GHz

Everything on Ultra except shadows on high and I turned off Vignette, sharpening and Chromatic Abberation 'cause fuck that. Game looks crisp as hell and runs like a dream. Never expected these results.

Put foliage down to High and you'll have a pretty much locked 60fps on a 970.

Go full screen over Borderless.

I had a 770 4GB and an i5 4440 (before I upgraded to an i7 4790 and a 970 since the 770 decided to take an error 43 vacation once I added in the i7) and I was getting 27-30fps at 1080p with most settings on high and ultra

I hear people say this, but I get a much smoother performance with windowed borderless. Not only that, but I can keep my custom color profile. Maybe I could eek out a few more fps with fullscreen, but the judder is real.

I still run a 770. There's no way I'd try and run everything in ultra and high, but there are only a couple settings where that even makes sense, or at least there are diminishing returns in doing so. I get at least 45fps in the most demanding areas and 55-60 in others with the settings I use. I considered upgrading my GPU, but it's not really going to give me a picture/performance that looks $400 better.

Sickbean

Is it just me or does this game spin GPU fans like crazy?

I'm on a 970, and seriously considering 30fps cap just to keep the noise down. Only game where this is a issue.

Lime

I'm soon going to finally play this game (been holding out to wait for all the DLCs). What are the essential configurations and mods that I need? I'm on a 980 and a i7 4790k, so I'm open towards anything.

I'm soon going to finally play this game (been holding out to wait for all the DLCs). What are the essential configurations and mods that I need? I'm on a 980 and a i7 4790k, so I'm open towards anything.

You don't really need any mods. You might wanna wait for patch 1.07 though. It optimizes the inventory system and adds a stash.

TheBear

Just started this, and the resolution is off. Set at 1080p, the screen is zoomed in. When I drop it to 720p it fits but still doesn't look right. Is this a known issue? I have a 1080p screen obviously

Seanspeed

Banned
Just started this, and the resolution is off. Set at 1080p, the screen is zoomed in. When I drop it to 720p it fits but still doesn't look right. Is this a known issue? I have a 1080p screen obviously
The game does like to switch to Borderless Windowed inexplicably, but if you have it at 1080p on a 1080p display and its zoomed in, that's kinda weird.

Still, make sure its set to Fullscreen.

Sh1ner

There's a mod that turns hairworks on everything but Geralt if you don't like Geralt's hairworks.
It also takes less fps than with all hairworks on without the mod.

Name of this mod please? I been hoping there was one as hairworks looks terrible on Geralt from the front. Edit: I found it.

hoserx

I'm on a 970, and seriously considering 30fps cap just to keep the noise down. Only game where this is a issue.

The game is demanding on your gpu...fans spin up because the work creates heat. If other games aren't causing the issue, it's because they aren't demanding games. If you want to avoid noise, play games that are easy on the gpu.....(but why buy a 970 if that's the case?)

Sickbean

The game is demanding on your gpu...fans spin up because the work creates heat. If other games aren't causing the issue, it's because they aren't demanding games. If you want to avoid noise, play games that are easy on the gpu.....(but why buy a 970 if that's the case?)

GTAV, Project Cars, Far Cry 4, Assassins Creed Unity are all demanding games and none of them cause the fans to spin up to jet levels.

Parsnip

I don't know what happened, but my performance has tanked. Was previously getting solid 30 with the same settings at novigrad, but now I'm hovering just above 20. And I'm getting a lot more texture streaming issues than before. Only change I can think of is that I installed Win10 10162 build. I hope it's that, because if it's not then I have no idea what could be causing it.

ynot both

88629-Jim-Carrey-laughing-gif-Liar-L-Gtdr.gif

GTAV, Project Cars, Far Cry 4, Assassins Creed Unity are all demanding games and none of them cause the fans to spin up to jet levels.

It's possible that you're more CPU bound in those games, which would help keep your GPU usage down a bit compared to the Witcher 3. The card is getting hotter so it's apparent that the Witcher 3 is more demanding on your GPU with your system.

robo

@feijoax @witchergame This DLC became available prematurely via XBL - wasn't ready. We advise against using it until it releases officially.

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/617995616170471426

The developer for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has been giving out free DLC bits since launch, mostly consisting of small outfits and short quests, but free nontheless. This week no DLC is scheduled to arrive due to a rather large quality of life patch, but on Xbox One and PS4, something may have leaked a little early for some folks.

That leak is Ciri's alternate outfit, which, according to the devs themselves, you should delete from your console -- as it may cause issues with the core game. Fair enough, I'm sure most of you can wait for a costume!

http://www.destructoid.com/did-you-download-the-ciri-costume-dlc-for-witcher-3-delete-it-295513.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Seems the new ciri outfit is bugged

I'd get the 9999 weight mod. I hate inventory management.

I guess this would count as a performance thing..

does anyone else have ridiculously low volume when the animted cutscenes are playing? Opening loading cutscene and the like are at least 50% of regular gameplay volume. it's maddening

Sickbean

It's possible that you're more CPU bound in those games, which would help keep your GPU usage down a bit compared to the Witcher 3. The card is getting hotter so it's apparent that the Witcher 3 is more demanding on your GPU with your system.

Yeah could be.

Could also be significant that I played all those (other than PCars) in cold weather!

LilJoka

With my locked 60fps setting in GTA V i can hit about 64c on my 970.
With my close to locked 60fps in Witcher 3 i get 70-72c. This is with hair works. If i turned hairworks off with my current setting i run about 70-85% usage and would run about 65c.

The reason is that witcher is much more optimised, it can run very close to 99% GPU usage all the time, whereas for GTA V 60fps settings, you have to turn down settings that cause it to drop at certian point in the game. That means the GPU is working around 70-99% usage giving overall lower temps.

If i run 4K in GTA V with my settings kept the same, i can hit 70c too. So its not that Witcher is more demanding, its that Witcher is more consistent allowing you to crank settings up more on average.

Van Owen

Banned
I guess this would count as a performance thing..

does anyone else have ridiculously low volume when the animted cutscenes are playing? Opening loading cutscene and the like are at least 50% of regular gameplay volume. it's maddening

Yeah, those and the prerendered cutscenes have low volume and some have hard coded subs, but there aren't many of them.

LilJoka

This is what im running on a GTX 970 1545/3900Mhz and i7 3770 4.2Ghz
1920x1080
Hairworks On
Background characters High
Shadows Medium
Terrain Ultra
Water High
Grass High
Textures Ultra
Foliage range High
Detail Ultra

Motion blur On
AA Off
Bloom On
Sharpening Off
Ambien Occlusion HBAO+
Depth of Field On
Chromatic Aberration Off
Vignetting Off
Light shafts On

In my User.settings i changed
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=2
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=2
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=2.5
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=2.5

and added
[Streaming/Textures]
UseMipRefiner=true

Its pretty solid 60fps, only sometimes there is a small stutter in Novigrad between 60 and 57fps, and when bringing the camera super close to Geralt the fps drop to 45.

Sickbean

With my locked 60fps setting in GTA V i can hit about 64c on my 970.
With my close to locked 60fps in Witcher 3 i get 70-72c. This is with hair works. If i turned hairworks off with my current setting i run about 70-85% usage and would run about 65c.

The reason is that witcher is much more optimised, it can run very close to 99% GPU usage all the time, whereas for GTA V 60fps settings, you have to turn down settings that cause it to drop at certian point in the game. That means the GPU is working around 70-99% usage giving overall lower temps.

If i run 4K in GTA V with my settings kept the same, i can hit 70c too. So its not that Witcher is more demanding, its that Witcher is more consistent allowing you to crank settings up more on average.

Makes sense.

Watercooling here I come!!! :D

Has anybody toggled their CPU hyperthreading at all? I've never turned it off, but read in the Nvidia forums that it helps. I'm about to try it for shits and giggles.

Just bought a used 670 for 80€ and it overclocks really well(1280mhz/3703mhz). Together with my stock i5-4670k I'm getting 40-50fps(occasionally higher, rarely lower.) on mostly High/Ultra settings:

1920x1080
Hairworks Off
Background characters High
Shadows High
Terrain Ultra
Water High
Grass Medium
Textures Ultra
Foliage range High
Detail Ultra

Motion blur On
AA On
Bloom On
Sharpening Off
Ambien Occlusion SSAO
Depth of Field On
Chromatic Aberration Off
Vignetting On
Light shafts On

Just in the beginning areas and haven't really experimented with the settings too much- HBAO+ lowers average framerate by about 4fps, maybe it's worth it?

Overall very happy with it.

Seanspeed

Banned

Works my GPU really hard, yea. The fans work hard because it heats the GPU like no other. Regularly hit up to 80C in TW3 with the card underclocked, whereas in most games I'm between 65-72c even after long play sessions with a factory overclock.

LordAmused

New patch is out. 2.2GB download. Will report performance soon.

EDIT: Apparently, it's not patch 1.07.

That's an update of our artpack (artbook, soundtrack, map, manual, wallpapers etc.). You can check them out by going to: Properties (from Library view)->Local files->Browse local files. Files are in main game folder.

Cheers
Łukasz Babiel, CD Projekt RED

Interfectum

New patch is out. 2.2GB download. Will report performance soon.

It's not the patch.

That's an update of our artpack (artbook, soundtrack, map, manual, wallpapers etc.). You can check them out by going to: Properties (from Library view)->Local files->Browse local files. Files are in main game folder.

Cheers
Łukasz Babiel, CD Projekt RED

Just bought a used 670 for 80€ and it overclocks really well(1280mhz/3703mhz). Together with my stock i5-4670k I'm getting 40-50fps(occasionally higher, rarely lower.) on mostly High/Ultra settings:

1920x1080
Hairworks Off
Background characters High Medium
Shadows High Medium
Terrain Ultra High
Water High
Grass Medium
Textures Ultra High
Foliage range High Medium
Detail Ultra High

Motion blur On
AA On Off
Bloom On
Sharpening Off
Ambien Occlusion SSAO HBAO+
Depth of Field On
Chromatic Aberration Off
Vignetting On Off
Light shafts On

Just in the beginning areas and haven't really experimented with the settings too much- HBAO+ lowers average framerate by about 4fps, maybe it's worth it?

Overall very happy with it.

Going to the Abandoned Village will be a good test to see how your settings will fare in the more demanding areas of the game. I'd reduce your shadows to medium and maybe switch to FXAA via NCP. Using the optimization guide, I'd maybe change a couple more of your settings as there is little to no visual difference between them, yet the cost is considerable. I know it's not sexy to see "medium" ticked on one of your settings, but believe me, the performance boost is worth it and you won't even know the difference unless you are pixel hunting. And finally, for shits and giggles, mess with your PhysX. Change it to CPU and then back to GPU and see if there is any improvement. My kepler sees well over a 10% increase when I leave it on CPU. Nice OC btw.

As for other settings, I've found using RTSS to cap framerate at 60fps and leaving fps unlimited in-game makes for smooth gameplay. Uncheck vsync and enable windowed borderless.

Or just, you know, forget everything I said because this game is awesome and you'll enjoy it regardless :)

heringer

Why would anyone prefer Hairworks over 60 FPS?

Sweet Jesus.

But it's not Hairworks vs 60 fps.

It's 30 fps + hairworks + everything on Ultra (including foliage) + 1440p vs 1080p + 60 fps + foliage on high and hairworks off.

I love 60 fps, but for Witcher 3 I didn't think it was crucial.

Van Owen

Banned
Does anyone get little circles of lights sometimes when playing? I have a OCed 970 that I turn way down for this games since it's OC sensitive and still get these little red blobs on the screen from time to time that aren't like normal GPU artifacting I've seen. My temp never goes above 80 degrees either.

KingV

I'm really hoping that the new patch addresses the crash to desktop. It's not super frequent... But inba 100+ hour game, it sure seems to happen a lot, even if its only every 2 hours or so.

Going to the Abandoned Village will be a good test to see how your settings will fare in the more demanding areas of the game. I'd reduce your shadows to medium and maybe switch to FXAA via NCP. Using the optimization guide, I'd maybe change a couple more of your settings as there is little to no visual difference between them, yet the cost is considerable. I know it's not sexy to see "medium" ticked on one of your settings, but believe me, the performance boost is worth it and you won't even know the difference unless you are pixel hunting. And finally, for shits and giggles, mess with your PhysX. Change it to CPU and then back to GPU and see if there is any improvement. My kepler sees well over a 10% increase when I leave it on CPU. Nice OC btw.

As for other settings, I've found using RTSS to cap framerate at 60fps and leaving fps unlimited in-game makes for smooth gameplay. Uncheck vsync and enable windowed borderless.

Or just, you know, forget everything I said because this game is awesome and you'll enjoy it regardless :)

Thanks, those are some substantial tips! I'll definitely give them a try. Not super diehard about the framerate, but I enjoy tinkering way more than I should :)
Unloading the gpu sounds good considering how hot it runs, really hard to keep it under 70c.

Has anybody toggled their CPU hyperthreading at all? I've never turned it off, but read in the Nvidia forums that it helps. I'm about to try it for shits and giggles.

If anybody is curious, I messed with hyperthreading and observed no change with our without it on my i7-930. Here is some more in-depth details/numbers.

tbd

Game won't start for me. I think it does this for a few days now.

Does anyone know what to do or has/had the same problem with a Steam game?

Does anyone get little circles of lights sometimes when playing? I have a OCed 970 that I turn way down for this games since it's OC sensitive and still get these little red blobs on the screen from time to time that aren't like normal GPU artifacting I've seen. My temp never goes above 80 degrees either.

That sounds like your core clock on your GPU is still too high. Have you benchmarked it with heaven 4.0?

I've got a Gigabyte G1 970 and with a 150+ core and 250+ memory OC I'm not having any issues.

Top Bottom