• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Is there a GAF overclocking guide? I'm rocking an i5 4690k and a 970, FWIW. I've never OC'ed something before and don't want to break anything.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Stock FX6300 is in the green :D. Medium-High settings here I come! Can probably reach High-Ultra if I OC the CPU a bit? :).
Any word of which settings are CPU intensive? R9 280x peforms better than the 285 in the end, as expected, ready for ultra at 1080p whereas they recommend medium-high for the 285. CPU gonna bottleneck me a tad before I OC though.

Edit: Wait, is the Gamestar.de stuff bunk? Still, shouldn't expect the 6300 to perform that bad if the game isn't *that* CPU intensive and has good core scaling. Any members of the FX6300 club report back to me if you're playing this as soon as it unlocks!

Wagram

I'll probably max out everything and play at a locked 30fps on my 980. I really couldn't care less about 60fps as long as my experience at 30 is completely solid.

MisterM

Thanks everyone, hard to believe I'll be playing in about 3 1/2 hours.

I'll have to find something to keep the kids out of my gaming room tonight..lol.

3 1/2 hours? Google tells me 7pm ET is 11pm GMT which is 2 1/2 hours from now (20:30).

Edit - never mind. The site says midnight London. :(

jbLP6ZK.jpg
Sees 6970 in the red.

Cries self to sleep

Afro

I'll probably max out everything and play at a locked 30fps on my 980. I really couldn't care less about 60fps as long as my experience at 30 is completely solid.

You think locked 30fps, 1080p, ultra + HairWorks is possible on a 980?

Peterthumpa

Ditto. Will try 2560x1440 with Ultra and Hairworks at 30 FPS with my 970.
I guess it should be doable.

viveks86

Looks like PS4 had a day 1 patch release today. So we were right in assuming that the previous one was a day 0 patch. I really hope PC gets one too.

Vitor711

Absolutely - people have said that it'll run at 40-50 FPS in the worst case scenario without hairworks. I'm sure that a locked 30 is doable for the vast majority of the game.

Wish locked 30fps on PC felt as buttery smooth as Horizon 2 on Xbone. I'd no longer worry about adjusting settings to maintain 60 and could max everything + HairWorks and maybe even go dsr w/ a 970. Not sure if it's a technical thing or if Turn 10 are simply motion blur wizards...or maybe it only looks right in racers?
Pretty sure it has to do with turn 10's excellent motion blur. Driveclub never feels as good as Horizon 2 despite both being 30fps.

Gbraga

People with high end PCs talking about 30fps should watch this before deciding for sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2mJaYQhaYc

Granted, this is old ultra, and Low is way lower than you'd need to run at 60fps, but it's still a decent way to put graphic settings vs framerate and decide which one makes a bigger impact for you, since their rig wasn't holding 60fps at Ultra.

Watch at 60fps, obviously.

I really should've started playing the first Witcher the day I ordered my new card, I'd probably be at least half way through the second game by now. Assuming I put the time in of course. Even better if I played through them when I bought them off Steam almost two years ago. Maybe I'll start W3 at the end of the month.

Nvidia needs to get its act together. There is no way a 960 can perform better than a 780ti unless they gave special treatment to Maxwell.

The game is a forward+ renderer and is probably using lots of compute. Nonetheless, it would be sad to see the 780Ti so thoroughly dethroned.

Vitor711

Looks pretty fair. My 980M with everything on High (no Hairworks) should be close to 60fps @ 1080p.

Uh, coming from someone with a 980m myself - there's no way that's happening.

The 970 in the graph isn't getting 60FPS at 1080 with Hairworks off, no way you're doing better than that.

Never dipping below 30FPS seems reasonable though.

Gbraga

Uh, coming from someone with a 980m myself - there's no way that's happening.

The 970 in the graph isn't getting 60FPS at 1080 with Hairworks off, no way you're doing better than that.

Never dipping below 30FPS seems reasonable though.

Well, he said high, not ultra :p

These are the only tweaks I plan on using:
Code:
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=4 (Visibility of close shadows)
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=4 (Visibility of far shadows)

GrassDistanceScale=3 (grass LOD distance)

Afro

Pretty sure it has to do with turn 10's excellent motion blur. Driveclub never feels as good as Horizon 2 despite both being 30fps.

Interesting, thanks. Wish Nvidia came up with some new "pseudo-60fps" motion blur technology for 30fps gaming that you could enable like DSR. On second thought it'd destroy their sales b/c 30fps would actually become tolerable. I can dream.

Dr Dogg

Every 10 mins or so I give the PRE-LOAD button on Steam a nudge hoping it will allocate but alas get the 'not released yet you impatient sod' dialog box. Oddly the unlock time on the store page is one hour earlier than the countdown on GOG so finger crossed.

Kinda neat chart and hopefully accurate.

I have not a single component on this chart, no CPU, no GPU, not even the amount of memory.

Thankfully the good kind of not included.

Buburibon

Nvidia needs to get its act together. There is no way a 960 can perform better than a 780ti unless they gave special treatment to Maxwell.

If I'm not mistaken, the performance guide mentions something about Maxwell being up to 3 times faster at tessellation than past generation GPUs, which may be a legitimate reason for the disparity between the two technologies in the benchmarks we're seeing.

Gbraga

Interesting, thanks. Wish Nvidia came up with some new "pseudo-60fps" motion blur technology for 30fps gaming that you could enable like DSR. On second thought it'd destroy their sales b/c 30fps would actually become tolerable. I can dream.

The feel of 60fps

not sure about anyone else but I've already had the new game ready drivers crash once while surfing the web which is unheard of for me, hopefully it won't screw with me come game time.

Thaedolus

Being able to turn off vsync can dramatically improve your FPS.

Only if you're being capped by vsync at some refresh rate below what your machine is capable of. If you're only putting out <50 FPS or something like that, disabling vsync won't help anything. Gsync does help smooth out stuttering from variable framerates, however.

If I'm not mistaken, the performance guide mentions something about Maxwell being up to 3 times faster at tessellation than past generation GPUs, which may be a legitimate reason for the disparity between the two technologies in the benchmarks we're seeing.

Not when a rebranded 7970 is close to a 780ti.

Gbraga

not sure about anyone else but I've already had the new game ready drivers crash once while surfing the web which is unheard of for me, hopefully it won't screw with me come game time.

Happened to me with GTA V drivers, had to downgrade (still not home so I didn't test the new drivers)

Are you on Kepler too? Could that have something to do with low Kepler performance?

Genio88

I'd say yes, that's what i'm gonna try, benchmark says a GTX 980 achieves 49fps avarage and 46fps minimum with everything on Ultra/1080p but HairWorks and HBAO+ turned off, now i don't think those 2 features cost 20fps on a GTX 980.
So i'm confident that i'll be able to run it with everything enabled at locked 30fps without any drop, and maybe my 980 won't be even used at 100% to achieve that frame rate.

Top Bottom