• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Game ready driver killed my Full RGB over HDMI
again

and removed the choice from the control panel
AGAIN

I'm downright fuckin pissed at all my games looking washed out because of this shit
but mostly I'm pissed because in all my years of gaming on PC this makes less sense than any other error I've ever had

again

AGAIN

I'm downright fuckin pissed at all my games looking washed out because of this shit
but mostly I'm pissed because in all my years of gaming on PC this makes less sense than any other error I've ever had

Does the utility that Durante created still work?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at these benchmarks I'm genuinely interested now to see what it will be like on my 670 lol.

Afro

again

Slightly off-topic, but is there an option to enable FULL color space via Displayport or is that unnecessary?

On-topic: WHERE IS MY 980ti!? Need that luscious Herbal Essence tier hair.

22wWHZw.jpg

kev26b

again

AGAIN

Check under the resolution options ;)

Toreal

again

AGAIN

I still have it under "change resolution", but it used to be under color settings right?

Shy

again

AGAIN

That's what i thought, but they moved the option to "change resolution" it's at the bottom of the screen.

EDIT: everyone posted the their helpful post at the same time. lol.

Looking at these benchmarks I'm genuinely interested now to see what it will be like on my 670 lol.

There seems like a ton of settings to tweak between config files and in game settings. I think people will be fine as long as they are willing to take the time to find a good balance.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Side question. My new gaming PC has a 4790k and a GTV 980. Would overclocking be a good idea? How does one do that?

My first gaming PC, so I'm figuring out the ins and outs.

ಠ_ಠ

well i'll be damned. I thought I looked there, too.

I was about to do another driver wipe. shit, thanks guys. you can point and make fun now

looking at the tweaking guide it seems foliage range has quite the effect on fps. 20 fps difference between low and high. ~10 fps between high and ultra. guess that will be the first thing i lower to high (970 and i52500k @ 4.4ghz here)

Side question. My new gaming PC has a 4790k and a GTV 980. Would overclocking be a good idea? How does one do that?

My first gaming PC, so I'm figuring out the ins and outs.

Your machine can certainly be overclocked. I'm a big proponent of at least investigating overclocking and the 4790K and the 980 both overclock very well. That being said of all the CPUs on the market, the 4790K is probably the least in need of overclocking simply because it has a 4.0 GHz base stock clock.

daninthemix

looking at the tweaking guide it seems foliage range has quite the effect on fps. 20 fps difference between low and high. ~10 fps between high and ultra. guess that will be the first thing i lower to high (970 and i52500k @ 4.4ghz here)

It's a shame, judging by the screenshots, that foliage also seems to have the greatest impact on image quality :(

Snap - I have the same system!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
There seems like a ton of settings to tweak between config files and in game settings. I think people will be fine as long as they are willing to take the time to find a good balance.

Oh aye I have no problems tweaking, it's all good :) I usually go for 60fps if I can but I think with W3 I'd have to turn down too many things for my card. Thinking of locked 30fps and maybe a mixture of medium and high settings if possible.

MaddenNFL64

The PC version is a mess with gameworks implemented.

They basically made 2 games, a stable console version for AMD's console APU's, and this cocked up Nvidia Gameworks version that shreds GTX 700 & all AMD cards.

WTF.

shandy706

Quick question guys.

I pre-ordered this on GOG. I downloaded all the parts, is there anything special I need to do outside of just installing all the parts tonight when I get home?

tuxfool

Banned
Quick question guys.

I pre-ordered this on GOG. I downloaded all the parts, is there anything special I need to do outside of just installing all the parts tonight when I get home?

You will need to download and install the missing part that will show up at launch. Just look for it on GOG, or install Galaxy (which should do that for you).

Do you think OCing my 4690k would provide any fps increases?

I know they've said it isn't very CPU intensive.

4690k here, I was just asking myself that. I'm not sure if I should oc it already, since I'm still runing the stock cooler from intel.

It does overclock itself automatically to 3.9ghz with the boost though. Maybe I can get it to 4.2 with the stock cooler.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
untitledzpuwb.png

(1080p, Everything on Ultra, ingame AA)

The lines with blue background which say "Hairworks an" are with Hairworks enabled. The grey ones are without Hairworks

(note that their benchmark scene only has Geralt and his Horse and no other enemies/chars with Fur/hair)

Looks pretty fair. My 980M with everything on High (no Hairworks) should be close to 60fps @ 1080p.

shandy706

You will need to download and install the missing part that will show up at launch. Just look for it on GOG, or install Galaxy (which should do that for you).

Alright, can I go ahead and install what I do have....or do I wait for this to show up...download it.....then install everything?

Thanks for the help!

Wag

Yeah, fair point. Just new to all this stuff as I did my first PC build only recently. Might try taking it to 4.2

You shouldn't have much problem overclocking. Just fool around with the timings, worst that can happen is that you'll lock up and you'll have to do lower them down or do a firmware reset on the motherboard.

Go to the building a new PC thread for more help.

4690k here, I was just asking myself that. I'm not sure if I should oc it already, since I'm still runing the stock cooler from intel.

It does overclock itself automatically to 3.9ghz with the boost though. Maybe I can get it to 4.2 with the stock cooler.

I have the cooler master 212 so I Thi k 4.2 should be no problem for me.

You shouldn't have much problem overclocking. Just fool around with the timings, worst that can happen is that you'll lock up and you'll have to do lower them down or do a firmware reset on the motherboard.

Go to the building a new PC thread for more help.

Thanks, will do.

hlhbk

I have:

Intel 4790K
GTX 980
16 GB RAM

To be honest basing it off the performance in the benchmarks I am pretty depressed I can't get a solid 60 FPS with everything maxed with this build. I wonder since I have gsync and I can turn off vsync if that will get me above 60 FPS?

Afro

I'm honestly mostly concerned about non-FPS related stutter. G-sync ~45fps isn't too bad w/o hitching from asset loading or what have you. Open world games scare my PC. Although I've read the game isn't as CPU intensive as GTA V.

UnrealEck

To be honest basing it off the performance in the benchmarks I am pretty depressed I can't get a solid 60 FPS with everything maxed with this build. I wonder since I have gsync and I can turn off vsync if that will get me above 60 FPS?

GSync won't give you better framerates.
Just turn something down a touch if you want better framerates. You're still going to be getting really high graphical quality with that machine.

Simzyy

Bah I can't install the NVIDIA driver as I have the Windows 10 driver and when I install the Witcher 3 one it screws my resolution up.

Well after skimming all this and seeing that gtx 660 vid I'm fairly hopefully my laptop (gtx765m) will do 1360x768 medium - high settings at 40-60 fps.

Can't find out till Friday as I'm away but will be interesting to see.

tuxfool

Banned
Alright, can I go ahead and install what I do have....or do I wait for this to show up...download it.....then install everything?

Thanks for the help!

You can install what you have now but I don't know how this extra bit will be installed. I'm sure there will be instructions when it shows up.

Edit: ^ Nice!

hlhbk

GSync won't give you better framerates.
Just turn something down a touch if you want better framerates. You're still going to be getting really high graphical quality with that machine.

Being able to turn off vsync can dramatically improve your FPS.

Afro

Wish locked 30fps on PC felt as buttery smooth as Horizon 2 on Xbone. I'd no longer worry about adjusting settings to maintain 60 and could max everything + HairWorks and maybe even go dsr w/ a 970. Not sure if it's a technical thing or if Turn 10 are simply motion blur wizards...or maybe it only looks right in racers?

Top Bottom