• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Happened to me with GTA V drivers, had to downgrade (still not home so I didn't test the new drivers)

Are you on Kepler too? Could that have something to do with low Kepler performance?

maxwell here with a 970. GTA drivers worked fine for me while not so well for others apparently. I've tried a few games GTAV, Shadow of Mordor, DA:I on 352.86 and everything ran very well minus a few flickering here and there but nothing drastic before this random freeze happened.

GTA 5 drivers were damn near perfect for me but I'll wait till this game unlocks before deciding if I want to revert back or not.

realcZk

Guess Windows 10 doesn't get Game Ready Drivers?

Well, I'll see what happens, then...

I read on the comments section of the nVidia post that the W10 driver already has a TW3 profile in it, not sure if that means it's the same thing or not so we'll see.

Kezen

Banned
maxwell here with a 970. GTA drivers worked fine for me while not so well for others apparently. I've tried a few games GTAV, Shadow of Mordor, DA:I on 352.86 and everything ran very well minus a few flickering here and there but nothing drastic before this random freeze happened.

GTA 5 drivers were damn near perfect for me but I'll wait till this game unlocks before deciding if I want to revert back or not.

Do you have hardware acceleration enabled in your browser ? Try disabling that if that's the case.

Spazznid

I read on the comments section of the nVidia post that the W10 driver already has a TW3 profile in it, not sure if that means it's the same thing or not so we'll see.

I read that as well, but the fact that the Game Ready Drivers are .86 and Windows 10 Drivers are .84, I am worried.

abczyx

Neo Member
Still rocking a GTX 460. It managed GTA V incredibly well so hopefully I can get at least decent performance from native 1080p at low settings.

Edit: I guess I should clarify that I'm being very optimistic here!

Kezen

Banned
I've had hardware acceleration disabled in Flash for the longest time now, after a string of crashes.

Same here, had regular crashes when browsing two years ago. Disabled hardware acceleration and never had issues ever since.

Nvidia drivers are far from perfect but it's been a long time they crashed on me.

Gbraga

feelin better with the 2gig 680 than I thought

now its batman what im truly worried about

I know, right? This card is still a little beast.

Every 3 months I think "man, I need to upgrade, no way my PC will run *insert game here* decently", and then it does.

It seems I'll only upgrade when I feel like getting better performance or visuals, no game will actually "force me" to do it this year. Didn't think it would "last" this long, but here we are.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
After seeing the difference between low and high im actually just considering begging gaben for a refund.

The game's low looks like most other game's high.

What??

You gonna ask for a refund because the game looks good even on low or you are speaking of performance?

Corpekata

Banned
not sure about anyone else but I've already had the new game ready drivers crash once while surfing the web which is unheard of for me, hopefully it won't screw with me come game time.

Yeah I've had it happen, twice on a 970. It'll spam it like 3 or 4 times per failure.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What??

You gonna ask for a refund because the game looks good even on low or you are speaking of performance?

I'm thinking about asking for a refund because I don't think I'll be able to get more than 20fps steady.

I was hoping low would look stripped the fuck down so I could at least entertain the possibility of eeking out a stable 30 all the time but when it looks more demanding than most games on high it has me worried.

Halabane

Sees 6970 in the red.

Cries self to sleep

Okay what happens if you have two of those 6970s in crossfire? Will that now work or is depend upon how this is all implemented? So far I have never had any issues...guess this may be the start...just weird to end up on the no go list from usually being able to play at high or ultra.

Still rocking a GTX 460. It managed GTA V incredibly well so hopefully I can get at least decent performance from native 1080p at low settings.

GTA V ran on the PS3 and 360, it was designed with those ancient consoles in mind and scales remarkably well. This game was designed to run solely on current-generation consoles and high-end PCs. While you might still be able to run it at some sort of low setting and sub-1080p configuration, I wouldn't get my hopes up for a pleasant experience at 1080p.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'm in the same mindset. I will even go as low as 720p (blasphemy, I know) to get that high FPS and high settings.
Well, I think 720p is a way too extreme. I can't force myself to play games in this resolution for better FPS and settings, it's just not worth it in my opinion.

In terms of settings all I care about is texture quality and dynamic lighting which I will set up to Ultra, the rest of the setting will be set on high, some will be turned off like motion blur, NVIDIA stuff etc.

Savitar

I haven't seen any crashing of any sort with the drivers I downloaded last night.

Everything working good on my end.

I did do a clean install if that makes a difference.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
I'm thinking about asking for a refund because I don't think I'll be able to get more than 20fps steady.

I was hoping low would look stripped the fuck down so I could at least entertain the possibility of eeking out a stable 30 all the time but when it looks more demanding than most games on high it has me worried.

Ow, that makes sense.

But i think we need to wait for the game release and more benchmarks.

And maybe you can mess with the .ini to strip more settings from the low profile.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Ow, that makes sense.

But i think we need to wait for the game release and more benchmarks.

And maybe you can mess with the .ini to strip more settings from the low profile.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for, don't really care too much about how the game looks I just wanna play it at a steady FPS.

I'm hoping that the optimization will be super solid with enough tweaks, much like it was for the witcher 2.

realcZk

Damn,

anyone getting "Release in 12 Hours" on Galaxy?

But then it shows ready to play in 2:30 hours in the store.

The time in Galaxy Client is based off your system clock and timezone which can be incorrect. The unlock time on GOG.com is the correct time.

So I recognize that mobile GPUs are sort of crap, but I commute internationally on a weekly basis for work, so sort of limited in that respect. Will I be able to get 1080 30FPS on Low/Medium with the following:

i7-4810MQ 2.8ghz(turbo boost to 3.8 single, 3.4 four core)
GTX 870M 6GB
16GB Ram

I am getting ambiguous signals as I have heard that the GTX 870M is somewhere between the desktop GTX 660, but based on the GTX 760?

UnrealEck

btw pro-tip.
If you're about to buy the game on GoG and don't own W1 or 2, buy those first and you get a discount on W3. You'll save a bit of money and you'll have the first two games too.

So how much RAM does this game eat up when maxed?

I've seen it use over 7GB.
That doesn't mean you need 7GB.

Static Jak

btw pro-tip.
If you're about to buy the game on GoG and don't own W1 or 2, buy those first and you get a discount on W3. You'll save a bit of money and you'll have the first two games too.

I've seen it use over 7GB.
That doesn't mean you need 7GB.
Wow, I'm still on 8GB.

Do you have hardware acceleration enabled in your browser ? Try disabling that if that's the case.

I use google chrome beta and found this in the chrome gpu log with acceleration on.

[4124:2732:0518/130048:ERROR:gpu_video_decode_accelerator.cc(269)] : NOT IMPLEMENTEDHW video decode acceleration not available.

maybe this is what happened, I'll try disabling it.

SaiyanRaoh

Any real reports on how a i5 2500k @ 4.4 and 960gtx runs the game? I am preparing to running without the hair and maybe some decreased foliage.

kinggroin

Banned
PhenomIIx4 4ghz
Gtx 670 2GB
4GB DDR2

Hoping for low settings. High textures. Light shafts and bloom on. SSAO and Hair Works on.

1080p 30fps

I will report back with my inevitable failure.

Mashing

Looks like I'm finally going to be forced to upgrade my 580. My i7 looks too be good to go though as well as memory (which I want to upgrade anyway).

Matty8787

Geforce Experience tells me all on/ultra with hairworks on for Witcher 3, dunno how reliable that is.

Rocking SLI 970's and i5 2500k @ 4.3ghz if that helps.

Top Bottom