• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Static Jak

Geforce Experience is weird sometimes.

For my 970, it's telling me to keep Textures on High while Water Quality should be on Ultra. And to use HBAO+.

I would think Textures would have a higher priority then those two.

realcZk

Windows 10 get a new driver for this or will we have to back peddle to this release.

There is speculation that the Windows 10 driver that came out 5/15 already contains some of TW3 changes. It ships with a TW3 profile, in the least. I've done some searching but haven't found any official confirmation that it is up to par with the GameReady driver though.

For my 970, it's telling me to keep Textures on High while Water Quality should be on Ultra. And to use HBAO+.

The High and Ultra textures are actually the same res. The difference between the two settings is that Ultra lets you load more textures at one time.

Static Jak

It's mostly giving me recommendations for High settings.

While recommending Detail Level, Terrain Quality and Water Quality at Ultra with HBAO+ on top of that.

Tells me to turn off Depth of Field, both cutscene and gameplay version.

And Hairworks off, which is a no-brainer.

I have an i5-2500 with 8GB Ram and an MSI 970.

Piggus

My rig: i7 3820 (stock) + radeon 7870 (stock).

Maybe it's time to upgrade. R9 280X, maybe?

You won't see a huge difference with the 280X, which is basically a re-branded 7970. Honestly I wouldn't recommend anything other than the GTX 970. It's a fantastic card.

BBboy20

You won't see a huge difference with the 280X, which is basically a re-branded 7970. Honestly I wouldn't recommend anything other than the GTX 970. It's a fantastic card.
It's funny that the benchmarks will most likely be the case but I still wait for them anyways before deciding which card to get.

Pro

So I can set the Resolution to 1440p and have better IQ on 1080p ? Nice !

It's in essence the same as adding some form of super sampling to the game at a 1080p resolution. So you could leave it at 1080p and turn on the super sampling as well. There will be plenty of options for IQ.

Korezo

That thing never works for me, it always wants me to enable everything and play every game at max. Is geforce experience settings for 60fps? That thing only good for explaning graphic options in games.

Static Jak

That thing never works for me, it always wants me to enable everything and play every game at max. Is geforce experience settings for 60fps? That thing only good for explaning graphic options in games.
I use it as a starting point and 9 times out of 10 I'll have majority of settings tweaked differently within the first hour.

It's no surprise they'd recommend their own HBAO+ before even textures.

Soi-Fong

So, can I expect that uber settings @ 1080p with gameworks on will run on my 780 Ti OC and 2600k @ 4.2 without dropping below 30 fps? I'm planning on just capping at 30 fps.

Soo I guess 1080p, Ultra with hairworks, 30 fps locked on a 970 is a no no?

I'd be surprised if you couldn't sustain a locked 30FPS with everything maxed on your 970.

EDIT - These performance threads are always hilarious the day before a game comes out. So much speculation. I will fully admit right now that I have no fucking clue how anything is going to perform. It's all speculation, of course, at this point. Still makes for entertaining discussion!

Corpsepyre

Banned
Yeah, but i'm worried with my CPU. I think it's better save a little bit more of money and make a full upgrade, you know.

Absolutely nothing wrong with your CPU. An i7 is MORE than enough for games. People use i5's for the most part. It's a big misconception that one has to spend 283289301 on a CPU. Get a better GPU, paired with that CPU, and you'll be set. Sure, you can upgrade later.

UnrealEck

It's mostly giving me recommendations for High settings.

While recommending Detail Level, Terrain Quality and Water Quality at Ultra with HBAO+ on top of that.

Tells me to turn off Depth of Field, both cutscene and gameplay version.

And Hairworks off, which is a no-brainer.

I have an i5-2500 with 8GB Ram and an MSI 970.

I've found GeForce Experience's reccomendations usually set things a bit lower than what I can choose myself and still get better quality and aim for around 60 FPS.

You'll want to enable bloom btw. It's a big part of the game's lighting.

How is 960 in real world conditions, better than console?

Yes.

Static Jak

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing a massive difference between with ultra, high or even medium shadows. I can see differences, just nothing mind blowing for the performance differences.

_S4MUR4I_

Absolutely nothing wrong with your CPU. An i7 is MORE than enough for games. People use i5's for the most part. It's a big misconception that one has to spend 283289301 on a CPU. Get a better GPU, paired with that CPU, and you'll be set. Sure, you can upgrade later.

Yeah, you're right. But even considering W10 and DX12? Those new DDR4 memory modules? Broadwell?

Static Jak

I've found GeForce Experience's reccomendations usually set things a bit lower than what I can choose myself and still get better quality and aim for around 60 FPS.

You'll want to enable bloom btw. It's a big part of the game's lighting.

Yes.
Is 3s Bloom better than Witcher 2s Bloom? Because that was downright awful.

How is 960 in real world conditions, better than console?

It blows the PS4 and Xbox One out of the water. As much people push for the GTX 970, the GTX 960 is still a solid card for its price. If you look at the benchmarks for Project Cars and Witcher 3, it actual performs just as good as a GTX 770 or in Project Cars case, better than a 290!

Corpsepyre

Banned
Yeah, you're right. But even considering W10 and DX12? Those new DDR4 memory modules? Broadwell?

If you're looking at gaming solely, then there's no visible tangible difference between DDR3/DDR4 and 3rd/4th Gen processors and the new 5000 series ones.

What resolution do you game on, by the way? That could matter.

paolo11

I also have 980GTX SLI with I7 4790k. I can run ultra settings 1080p with hairworks at 60fps locked, right?

( I got a gaming laptop and this).

Top Bottom