• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Jtrizzy

Hairworks enabled?

Seems like overclocking my gpu's was the culprit, haven't crashed since I went back to the default clocks in afterburner. If I turn hairworks off it never drops below 60, with hairworks I get some drops to 55 and more stuttering. SLI 970/2600k @4.4

Really wish you could turn it off for Geralt and leave it on for the monsters.

Flandy

i7 2600k @ 3.4 Ghz (3.8 Turboboost)
7950 3GB

1080p30
Vsync
Everything on High
Texture Quality and Detail Level on Ultra
SSAO
No hairworks

What a beautiful friggin' game, the graphics are out of this world. Once I disabled hairworks, I got solid 60 fps. Everything else at Ultra. 1440p, 2600k@4.5, 16GB RAM, Titan X.

E8Ogltu.jpg

PTvigUn.png

Kalm

4790k @ 4.4 GHz
780 Ti x2 SLI @ ~1072 MHz
8 GB DDR3
SSD
1080p Plasma
---
Goal was 100% locked 60fps at all times.

I tried multiple configs in both 1080p/1440p and settled on:

- 1440p
- HairWorks: Off
- Foilage Distance: High
- CA, Blur and Sharpening: Off
- Everything else at On or Ultra.
- Vsync and 60fps cap are forced at driver level.

No fps drops so far with a decent amount of room to spare -- I'm usually around 70% GPU usage with an occasional spike up to ~90% now and then. Can't really enable anything else without losing the locked 60 so I might look at the .ini stuff tomorrow.

Downgraded or not, this is a very nice looking game. Their temporal AA solution is surprisingly good.

I've had three "crashes" so far but they all happened after I changed the resolution while in-game. They weren't CTDs, the video just froze on the menu screen and I had to restart to get it back.

The cutscenes are a mess though. They're either pre-recorded and locked at a bizarre 26fps like the opening cinematic, or in-game and yet still stuttery as all hell despite the steady 60fps. Actual gameplay is smooth and fluid so the transitions are really jarring.

Vee_One

Do the new nVidia drivers make much of a performance difference? I tried it for 15 minutes this morning and was a little underwhelmed. Didn't tweak too much though, had most settings on high. Hair works was set to Geralt only. GTX770.

Cels

Win 8.1
i5 4690k 4.5ghz
8gb RAM
R9 280X on 15.4 beta drivers

55-60fps*
1920x1080, fullscreen
All settings on High except shadows (Medium), AA off, Hairworks off, vsync off

*except for the cutscenes which run at 26-28.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm locking to 38 fps (with RTSS) to play at 1440p with a 780ti so I'm using a controller.

Hairworks:
Off.

Shadows and foliage distance to high.
Blur and CA off.

Nvidia vsync and af, in-game aa.

These settings give 60 fps at 1080, fine for mouse and kb, guess I just prefer a controller with 3rd person and a cleaner image.

Titan X
4.5ghz 3570k
16gb ram
Ssd
Win 8.1
28" 4k gsync

Everything at max settings, with hairworks and aa off, and I get between 35-50fps. Gsync makes it bearable.

Yasae

Banned
4790k @ 4.4 GHz
780 Ti x2 SLI @ ~1072 MHz
8 GB DDR3
SSD
1080p Plasma
---
Goal was 100% locked 60fps at all times.

I tried multiple configs in both 1080p/1440p and settled on:

- 1440p
- HairWorks: Off
- Foilage Distance: High
- CA, Blur and Sharpening: Off
- Everything else at On or Ultra.
- Vsync and 60fps cap are forced at driver level.

No fps drops so far with a decent amount of room to spare -- I'm usually around 70% GPU usage with an occasional spike up to ~90% now and then. Can't really enable anything else without losing the locked 60 so I might look at the .ini stuff tomorrow.

Downgraded or not, this is a very nice looking game. Their temporal AA solution is surprisingly good.

I've had three "crashes" so far but they all happened after I changed the resolution while in-game. They weren't CTDs, the video just froze on the menu screen and I had to restart to get it back.

The cutscenes are a mess though. They're either pre-recorded and locked at a bizarre 26fps like the opening cinematic, or in-game and yet still stuttery as all hell despite the steady 60fps. Actual gameplay is smooth and fluid so the transitions are really jarring.
Yeah they stutter bad. Thought it might've just been me. My one CTD has also been exactly that (I had to alt tab and sign out of my Windows profile as I couldn't get the task manager to display - the game wouldn't allow anything else to be shown).

Buburibon

Anyone else getting framepacing issues with this game? FRAPS marks 30fps but I still get the stutters on a 280X.

I'm experiencing 17ms frame times at 59fps with both driver and in-game vsync. I'd say it's bearable during gameplay, but pre-rendered movies capped at 28fps are a judder fest. I'm thinking using an HDMI cable --> A/V receiver --> TV might be part of the problem.

3930k @ 4.8Ghz
Titan X
16GB RAM

I've locked the game to 30fps, and it stays at 30 and never drops at all.
Ultra
no Hairworks

Would probably average about 35-40fps if I didn't lock it, but I hate the framerate fluctuations.

GavinUK86

Is anyone finding it really stuttery when locking it to 30fps? My OSD is telling me it's a solid 30 with perfect frame pacing but it feels off. Using the in game 30 lock and Vsync.

Gaz_RB

Is anyone finding it really stuttery when locking it to 30fps? My OSD is telling me it's a solid 30 with perfect frame pacing but it feels off. Using the in game 30 lock and Vsync.
Had the same problem, it's super micro though. When I'm riding my horse and watching the scenery, I can see it jumping just slightly

Drazgul

Hairworks, even just on Geralt, really kills the performance. Totally not worth to have it on unless you're rocking a really high-end GPU.

Cronee

AMD FX 8350 OC'do at 4.2Ghz
Stock GTX 760 2GB
16 GB 1600 ram

Running at 1080 with medium presets, both post processing and graphics, and getting 40-45 fps with drops into the low 30s when there's a lot of vegetation. Could possibly get a smoother fps with some settings tweaks or an OC to the 760 but it runs well enough for now.

Quoting myself for a few updated notes.

Gave my 760 a +50/+150 OC and picked up quite a few frames. Went from low 30's to low 40's when around a lot of vegetation. The vsync option in game doesn't appear to be working as I still get large fluctuations between 52 fps and 40 fps. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, shouldn't the fps lock to 30 with vsync on? Not that I necessarily want to lock it down to 30, I haven't experience any tearing yet.

The OC is solid from prior testings but I like to leave it stock until I need a little more oomph. I could push it further but that'd require more stability testing that I wont have time for until the weekend.

Arkage

Banned
New to computer gaming...I bought this recently:

Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ Processor (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.5GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970M with 3GB GDDR5

8GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz

I'm getting about 35 fps playing on medium at 1080p...I feel like based on everyone elses posts I should be getting a lot better performance. Something I'm missing?

I have a 780M @1080p with a mix of low/medium/high settings (no hair obv) and I'd bet I'm getting close to 60. I used the Nvidia experience thing to set stuff up until tweak guides come out. But yea, seems like you should be getting better FPS with just medium settings.

GavinUK86

Had the same problem, it's super micro though. When I'm riding my horse and watching the scenery, I can see it jumping just slightly
I've got it all the time. Have to try locking it via the nvidia control panel tomorrow, see if it's any better. I don't get the stuttering when it's unlocked and hovering around 40 but playing at that frame rate is just uncomfortable anyway.

Hagi

Game runs like a dream on my 280X and i5 2500k at 1080p. Decided to cap it at 30 and go with medium preset but textures to high, game is absolutely gorgeous. Might do some tweaking here and there but for now I'm more than happy with the performance.

Salsa

back from seeing Mad Max. Ran the game before but GAF was down

2 gig 680, i5 2500k at 4.4ghz

yeah............ kinda disappointed, not the optimization, but what my rig can do with the game I guess

can basically never reach 60, and no matter the settings it's a battle between 40-50, mosty at 40s, sometimes at 52s

I know it's not terrible but I was hoping to be able to tone down something and have constant 60, not the case so far.

also, SUPER disappointed at the graphical settings. What the fuck? let me fiddle, don't just give me ON and OFF and no real antialiasing options, damn.

Played just enough to see how well it runs!

With everything maxed out I get 100-120 fps on 1440p and about 40-50 on 4K. I'll see if I'll keep HairWorks on.

But goddamn...this game is a looker on 4K.

4790K @ 4.7GHz
Samsung Evo SSD
24GB RAM
GTX TITAN X SLI

Back to Witcher 1 :)

Skyzard

Banned
dude that AA is trash, of course there's jaggies

it's FXAA basically

If you can downsample and lock the framerate it will help. According to andy's guide it adds temporal aa ontop of fxaa so it's worth it. Grass moving in the wind at standstill was an example.

SliChillax

3930k @ 4.8Ghz
Titan X
16GB RAM

I've locked the game to 30fps, and it stays at 30 and never drops at all.
Ultra
no Hairworks

Would probably average about 35-40fps if I didn't lock it, but I hate the framerate fluctuations.

You have a Titan X, do yourself a favour and get a Gsync monitor, your gpu is begging for it.

Blackage

You guys prefer controller or keyboard/mouse for the game?

I used Keyboard and Mouse for Witcher 2, but for some reason alot of stuff can't be changed in Witcher 3. =/

So I just went with the controller, obviously the game was tailored more for a controller this time around.

Salsa

main thing still is not being able to reach constant 60fps no matter the settings, not bother by the AA stuff as much

Im loving this game so far. Looks and runs amazing on my rig. 1080p, almost locked 60, everything maxed. See you in 300 hours.

I7 950 @ 4GHz
6GB RAM
GTX 980 reference card
SSD

sgs2008

Not unexpected but maxed out on 1440p titan x sli with chromatic aberration off, mostly 70 fps and above, had one random dip to 30 during the tutorial when the wild hunt appeared but been good since then.

Top Bottom