• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

tauke

I got the GOG version. I installed it. Download the "Day-one patch" and the two DLCs. Try to start the game... it doesn't even boot up before it crashes. FML.

Welp, I guess I'll be finishing TW2 before even trying to see how TW3 runs on my system.

I'm done tweaking the game for nearly 2 hours now without even a chance to even see the ingame graphics lol.

Already uninstalled it. I'll wait until future patches or if there is a future Enhanced Edition. I never seen a game that CTD on me every single time regardless of the settings.

I'd love to help, but this is not a problem that i've seen yet nor heard of a workaround for. I also have the GOG version.

I already uninstalled it. I still have other games to play like Batman Arkham Origins which runs maxed at near 60fps with the Physx on without a single crash.

I'm just baffled why The Witcher 3 keep CTD after the intro video. Totally at loss here and complete waste of my time.

viveks86

Are you finding that the tweaked inis are making a noticebale difference ?

Yup. Big time. Especially shadows and foliage. I'm not sure if draw distance has improved, but haven't come across an area yet that screamed "hey I should be able to see that in more detail".

Running this on an Alienware Alpha and I'm happy with the 1080p 30fps performance on mostly high settings with detail set to ultra.

Downloaded the geforce game ready drivers based on the 860m chipset and that seemed to help a bit as I was previously getting similar performance results, but at the lower resolution of 900p.

At first I was crashing every 5 minutes, then I set my maximum prerendered frames to 1 in nvidia CP and now I'm able to play for an hour or so before it crashes. Pretty sure it's a driver crash since the screen goes black and I have to hard reset my computer.

Hawk269

SLI Titan X, yes. But even I couldn't handle 4k at 60 without insane drops. Stepped down to 1440p70+ and maxed the hell out of every setting and INI tweak. Will post details soon.

I am on 2 Titan X and am pretty rock solid 60fps. I do have Hairworks off and due to being at 4k, I have the Anti Aliasing Setting to off. I think the bloom is way overdone, so I have that off as well.

What does Sharpening do? I have it off and when I turn it on, I don't notice much. Also turning off CA makes it look much better to me.

Vee_One

Running this on an Alienware Alpha and I'm happy with the 1080p 30fps performance on mostly high settings with detail set to ultra.

Downloaded the geforce game ready drivers based on the 860m chipset and that seemed to help a bit as I was previously getting similar performance results, but at the lower resolution of 900p.

Which Alpha do you have?

daninthemix

Anyone figure out how to change the FPS for cutscenes like the opening movie? Tried changing the MovieFramerate in visuals.ini to 60.0 but that didn't do anything.

Changing that and Ubersampling to false does help for in-engine cutscenes, but some cutscenes are FMV movies running at a low frame-rate, or rather a frame rate that doesn't look good at 60Hz v-sync.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Yup. Big time. Especially shadows and foliage. I'm not sure if draw distance has improved, but haven't come across an area yet that screamed "hey I should be able to see that in more detail".

Draw distance is all linked to Umbra, and there's no way to change it.

i7 2600 at 4.0 and 970 running at 60 fps with everything on ultra besides foliage and hairworks off.

the only problem I'm noticing is slight stuttering but no fps drop while that happens. Is this the norm for most people?

Played about 6 hours so far with everything turned on and it's been a locked 30 no problem on my 970.

30 feels perfectly fine in this game oddly. My usual test is spin the camera around and it feels as responsive as 60. The sluggishness of the camera at 30 is what tends to turn me off. Must be the motion blur or something.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
On a 260x with a FX 6300 both overclocked with everything at max except hairworks I'm getting between 32-35 fps, so you can run it on a low end system, I locked it at 30, I have the feeling I'll have to turn down some setting once I get out of white orchard thought.

How much did you OC your 6300? :). I'm on a 280x so GPU wise I should be fine, but I'm genuinely impressed by your results on the CPU side of things. Permanent OC to the Turboclock speed or did you go to 4.5 and beyond?

Played about 6 hours so far with everything turned on and it's been a locked 30 no problem on my 970.

30 feels perfectly fine in this game oddly. My usual test is spin the camera around and it feels as responsive as 60. The sluggishness of the camera at 30 is what tends to turn me off. Must be the motion blur or something.

Crysis 1 is much the same way, gotta be the motion blur there too :p. 30 FPS feels super smooth in that game compared to a lot of newer games at 30. Glad to hear 30 sounds smooth here too, I'm aiming for locked 30 with the graphics cranked up as high as they can go on my rig

I'm doing the same with my 970. It is really smooth and responsive at 30.

Condom

Does the game feel janky to anyone else? I play with mixed settings from medium to ultra and get a pretty consistent 30-40 fps.

When capping to 30 it looks like the V-sync or something is causing it, lack of triple buffering maybe? Running in SLI btw.

RandomError

Neo Member
I got the GOG version. I installed it. Download the "Day-one patch" and the two DLCs. Try to start the game... it doesn't even boot up before it crashes. FML.

Welp, I guess I'll be finishing TW2 before even trying to see how TW3 runs on my system.

I had this same issue.

Go to [game install directory]\bin\x64 and rename the file Galaxy.dll to Galaxy.dll.bak. You'll get an error message saying that the file is missing when you attempt to launch the game, but after dismissing it the game will start.

Edit: Alternatively, download, install and have GoG Galaxy running when you attempt to launch the game. It seems they've inadvertently tied even the non-Galaxy version to Galaxy.

i5 3570k (stock, no overclocking), Geforce GTX 770, 16gb RAM, SSD, Windows 8.1

I get ~40 - 60fps depending on intensity of scene. I might have had occasional drops to 30-something fps but I do not notice drops like that TBH so I can't be sure. I have a weird mix of ultra-settings, high settings and low settings. Shadows low, no hair physics, low grass density, high foliage visibility range, SSAO. I turned off depth of field, chromatic aberration. Everything else is at ultra/max/enabled if I remember right.

I used the Nvidia tweaking guide to maximise game looks while trying to maintain 30+ fps at all times. The game looks absolutely stunning and works better than I dared to hope.

No crashes at all.

ss_lemonade

Guys what about the crash? Is the game still crashing or you somehow solved that problem? Unfortunayely i won't be able to play the game until thia night(i'm in europe)
Game seems to be sensitive to overclocks. I just dropped back to stock for now (cpu, 3570k was at 4.6) to stop it from crashing. Will have to tinker with my oc settings tomorrow

Static Jak

Just turned on my PC and start GOG Galaxy to update the game. The update only reaches, maybe, 14% before it fails and starts re-downloading over and over. Any fix for this?

Does the game feel janky to anyone else? I play with mixed settings from medium to ultra and get a pretty consistent 30-40 fps.

When capping to 30 it looks like the V-sync or something is causing it, lack of triple buffering maybe? Running in SLI btw.

I'm not running in sli just a single 970 but this is exactly what it feels like for me also even with 60 fps

Dries

GAF, could I get a locked 30 fps at 1440p with Ultra settings and HairWorks on my 2500K @ 4.4Ghz, OC'ed 980 and 8 GB RAM?

BatNIC

Neo Member
GAF, could I get a locked 30 fps at 1440p with Ultra settings and HairWorks on my 2500K @ 4.4Ghz, OC'ed 980 and 8 GB RAM?

I have a similar setup and get a locked 30fps at 1440p with ultra(except foliage distance and shadows) and hairworks.

Tweaked the game a bit more. Seems my i5 2500k and 970 (none onf them OC) can run the game with consistent 60FPS with most things to Ultra and some to High (and f*ck hairworks) in 1080p. But even though fraps shows me the 60FPS, I can't help to shake the feeling that there is some minor stuttering.

daninthemix

Tweaked the game a bit more. Seems my i5 2500k and 970 (none onf them OC) can run the game with consistent 60FPS with most things to Ultra and some to High (and f*ck hairworks) in 1080p. But even though fraps shows me the 60FPS, I can't help to shake the feeling that there is some minor stuttering.

Ditto here - 2500k + 970, 1080p, 60fps with most things on ultra. My feeling is that on-foot movement is smooth, but riding the horse isn't. Not sure if this is to do with world streaming or what.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've had the game freeze at least five times while trying to browse my own inventory. I have to safety save any time I want to look at or equip something.

Just a quick performance sit-rep.

CPU: 2500K @ 4.6 Ghz
RAM: 16gb DDR3
GPU: 6970 2GB OCed to 1005mhz Core (Reference is 880 Mhz). Comparable if not a hair faster than a reference 7870.
HDD: WD Caviar Black

Settings:
-1080P
-Hairworks Off
-Display Mode: Borderless Window (Does this even matter in terms of performance?)
-# of BG Characters: Ultra
-Shadows: Medium
-Terrain Quality: Medium
-Water Quality: High
-Grass Density: Low
-Texture Quality: High (No Visual DIfference between Higha and Extra according to the GeForce Guide)
-Foliage Visibility Range: Medium (Apparently one of the most demanding settings besides Hairworks and HBAO+)
Detail Level: Medium

-Motion Blur: Off
-Blur: Off
-AA: Off
-Bloom: On
-Sharpening: Off
-Ambient Occlusion: SSAO
-Chromatic Abberation: Off
-Vignetting: On
-Lightshafts: On

Performance: I can usually maintain a locked 30 fps 85% of the time. During in-game cut-scenes is when my fps can dip to around 25. I assume higher quality assets are used during cut-scenes.

Other than that, it's Very Playable and I'm actually quite shocked at the performance. I have no doubt the AMD patch that comes out later this week plus whatever CDPR optimizes for their next patch should improve performance at least marginally.

Vitor711

Laptop Performance:

GPU: 980m
CPU: i7-4810MQ
RAM: 8GB

Running at 1080, with hairworks on - Foliage and Shadows on High and not Ultra, everything else maxed out.

Running at a locked 30FPS - only ever dips in the cutscenes.

Looking forward to finally having it installed on my 980 desktop and seeing if I can't double that with a mild OC.

hlhbk

Specs:

Intel 4790k
Nvidia Gtx 980
16 gb RAM
Gsync
144hz monitor
Running game maxed minus hairworks at 1080p.

I gotta say other than hairworks I am shocked how well optimized the game is. I have everything maxed and I the frame rate never had dropped below 58 fps. It fluctuates between 63 and 90 fps but with gsync you never notice it. I am 5 hours in and have seen 0 crashes.

Also this is a far better game technically then what I experienced on the same system on the Witcher 2. I experienced graphic glitches and massive pop in with everything maxed on tw2.

Bravo CD Project!

Matty8787

So I will be wanting to run this at ultra on 1080p with sli 970's and an i5 2500k BUT I want to have hairworks on! What can I drop to ensure my FPS stays above 50ish? Shadows, foliage visibility?

From reading through this it seems as though some run it fine and others have problems.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I have one, and I'm using it. It's just that whenever I go to take a screenshot the message appears...was wondering if there's a specific HUD setting or something.

Oh. You're playing with the controller and just using the keyboard to take snapshots? Yeah sorry, I don't know if you can turn the message of.

Mifec

I've had the game freeze at least five times while trying to browse my own inventory. I have to safety save any time I want to look at or equip something.

Go back to 350.12 and it won't crash anymore , I've reverted to them and not a single crash since.

Kaze2212

Specs:

Intel 4790k
Nvidia Gtx 980
16 gb RAM
Gsync
144hz monitor
Running game maxed minus hairworks at 1080p.

I gotta say other than hairworks I am shocked how well optimized the game is. I have everything maxed and I the frame rate never had dropped below 58 fps. It fluctuates between 63 and 90 fps but with gsync you never notice it. I am 5 hours in and have seen 0 crashes.

Also this is a far better game technically then what I experienced on the same system on the Witcher 2. I experienced graphic glitches and massive pop in with everything maxed on tw2.

Bravo CD Project!

Awesome running the same configuration. I'll have to see how hairworks looks in motion to decide if I like it so much to give up the 60fps. (I will probably do :( )

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Go back to 350.12 and it won't crash anymore , I've reverted to them and not a single crash since.

Will give it a shot now.

Inventory is outright broken. Equipping new items or looking at swords has probably 70% chance of crashing my game. Very disappointing.

Ditto here - 2500k + 970, 1080p, 60fps with most things on ultra. My feeling is that on-foot movement is smooth, but riding the horse isn't. Not sure if this is to do with world streaming or what.

I get when I run also. It's not much, but I can't shake the feeling. Considering I have 8GB Ram, 4GB Vram and run the game on my SSD, I guess it's just the way things are with the game?

The performance is really really good otherwise though.

Brakus

Banned
So what's the deal with AA then? Can't really see it mentioned, I'll be using a 980, I'm guessing peops are running it at low sampling with ultra?

Schlomo

Oh boy, apparently most people are suffering crashes. For me, the picture froze twice in the same cutscene (coat-of-arms discussion in the tavern) while sound continued normally.

Zimbardo

tried the game out on my older pc (i5 760 @ 3.8ghz + 8gig ram + gtx680 4gig).

have it locked to 30fps (1080p) ...using all ultra settings except for shadows (high) and the foliage visibility range (high). hairworks is off.

post processing i have it set to the high preset ...everything on, but using SSAO instead of HBAO+.

been hanging out around a village near the start. killing wolves and doin the odd quest here and there.

i'll stick with those settings for now anyway ...unless things get much worse somewhere else in the game.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Question - does the game have PS4 icons on PC when DS4 is plugged in?

Nope. Doesn't seem to have native support either. I have to turn on ds4windows to use my DS4, and the only option for button prompts are 360.

It should be easy for someone to put out a mod for the superior button prompts, though.

Mifec

Will give it a shot now.

Inventory is outright broken. Equipping new items or looking at swords has probably 70% chance of crashing my game. Very disappointing.

It didn't crash that often for me but like the fifth time the driver stopped working I just said fuck it and reverted. No crash in 4 hours.

glaurung

OK I played the game a bit last night on my GTX 970.

Weirdly enough, with everything cranked to eleven, I encountered almost identical performance at 2560x1440 and 1920x1080. Obviously I prefer the higher pixel count, since it looks spectacular. But there were strange hiccups here and there and using the Witcher Vision dragged FPS down quite a bit.

I think I need to tweak the settings a bit. But I don't want to lose HairWorks, that shit is banging.

Oh boy, apparently most people are suffering crashes. For me, the picture froze twice in the same cutscene (coat-of-arms discussion in the tavern) while sound continued normally.

They are? Played it for 2-3h without any signs of their crashes, but that might just be. My only problem so far have been all the bugs in GOG Galaxy.

Top Bottom