• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but it got overlooked. People who have been suffering from crashes, are your gpus overcocked? Like past the factory overclocks?

I was having constant crashes for me so I had to crank my 770 back to factory settings and haven't had a single crash since.

swiftpolar

Neo Member
Are you using DPI scaling? If so, right click the Witcher3 exe and disable scaling for the game under compatibility.

Tried that and to no avail. Really weird. I guess the only way is to set my display resolution down before playing the game.

Don't think its my monitor either, other games seems to work fine filling up the whole screen despite a different resolution.

EDIT: Even setting my desktop resolution down doesn't work. Really weird...

Zakalwe

Banned
You were on point with your post until this bullshit sentence. This is the performance thread for comparisons and tweaking help not for making these petty garbage statements.

It was a throwaway statement dude, no need to pick up on it at all.

All personality types here, let's ignore the little clashes and focus on getting pedantic about PC hardware and video settings in that way that gets us all excited.

Grechy34

Yeah, I'm not expecting much -- hoping it'll perform slightly better than the PS4.

You might be pleasantly surprised that the i3 model actually runs the game fairly well with 8GB of ram on medium settings. So if you can stick another 4GB of ram in the basic model then you'll have a fine experience. The game was running between 30-40FPS (and higher with HBAO off etc)

For anyone else with the Alienware Alpha lower spec model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LBRw29HYNc

glaurung

Probably not a fault of the performance, but I did encounter two bugs during my first 30m of playing.
  1. Vesemir's horse's tail appeared midair and disconnected from the horse. It did disappear rather quickly though.
  2. A bunch of Drowners on a shore had distinct path-finding issues. They stumbled around on a small patch of land, unable to leave it. I spammed Igni at them and that was that.

Zakalwe

Banned
is there a way to cap the game at 30fps? i'd rather play at a solid 30fps than 60fps with dips to 40/50fps.
In game options for locking at 30, 60, and Unlimited. You can also tweak the .ini file to limit it to whatever you want.

Although some have reported stutter this way. Some have counter reported it being fine as long a you go fullscreen not borderless.

Others have reported using external tools to limit gives a much smoother experience, too.

Regardless, you have options to try.

In game options for locking at 30, 60, and Unlimited. You can also tweak the .ini file to limit it to whatever you want.

Although some have reported stutter this way. Some have counter reported it being fine as long a you go fullscreen not borderless.

Others have reported using external tools to limit gives a much smoother experience, too.

Regardless, you have options to try.

great! thank you

Darkman M

Running on a 2600k@ 4.3 and 970gtx at 1080p ultra everything maxed with hairworks 40-45 fps average, no crashes or any issue to speak of as of yet.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Geforce GTX 970
i7-3770K @ 3.5Ghz
32GB Ram

Constant 60 FPS with everything on high and Hairworks off. 1080P.
V-Sync off and Borderless Window gave the best results. It feel really stuttery though, but Rivatuner say's the framerate isn't dipping. Sure feels like it goes down to 30, and often. Especially when turning the camera. :/

Qassim

I have the game running very well (60-70fps, nice low and consistent frametimes) with everything on max, 1080p, with hairworks off. It's a shame you can't have hairworks on just for the monsters/animals and not for Geralt.

It looks okay on Geralt but I think the default hair looks better, doesn't glitch out as much, but I generally do think it fits better on the monsters/animals.

Vuze

Yeah, I think I'll turn Hairworks off. It permanently glitches through Geralts ears for me, pretty annoying lol. I'd also really dig a setting just for the monsters...

Darkman M

I have the game running very well (60-70fps, nice low and consistent frametimes) with everything on max, 1080p, with hairworks off. It's a shame you can't have hairworks on just for the monsters/animals and not for Geralt.

It looks okay on Geralt but I think the default hair looks better, doesn't glitch out as much, but I generally do think it fits better on the monsters/animals.

Yeah it looks great on the wolves I have encountered so far.

tauke

Turn off/dial back your OC and try again. Many have reported success this way.

And this is half the fun of day 1 PC gaming. We're pioneers, brother!

I already posted earlier that I already revert back to stock speed and the game still CTD without any error message after the New Game intro video lol.

Again, I sound like a broken radio but I'm really the odd anomaly in this world to suffer this problem. :(

Static Jak

I can't wait to use hairworks...in about 2 years from now with a new build.

It looks great but damn it butchers your framerate.

For all of those who are suffering from freezes,I think the solution posted on the steam forums might work for you as well because it did for me.

Turn your frame rate cap to unlimited instead of 30 or 60. Played for 3 hours straight, no freezing or locking.

Doesn't help if you're getting driver related-crashes as this is meant for the freezing.

I can't wait to use hairworks...in about 2 years from now with a new build.

It looks great but damn it butchers your framerate.

I'll be able to run hairworks when the crossfire profile is ready...

It's already an incredible game though. So incredible. I'm only in the opening area and am constantly in awe of what I'm seeing. Nighttime looks amazing.

I don't understand why a game of this caliber doesn't have any option to limit the framerate to 48/72fps (multiples of 144).

I mean we never see it, basically, but it's such a basic thing to include. Limiting to 30/60fps on 144Hz screen is stuttering hell.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why a game of this caliber doesn't have any option to limit the framerate to 48/72fps (multiples of 144).

I mean we never see it, basically, but it's such a basic thing to include. Limiting to 30/60fps on 144Hz screen is stuttering hell.

You can manually set the frame limit in the user.settings config file.

Exoda

Neo Member
Hey gaf, this is a follow up to what I mentioned before about my issue with horizontal panning stutter when using a 360 pad (it is not present when using the mouse).

https://youtu.be/40i92-eKA0w (first I use gamepad then switch to mouse)

Things I have tried so far: v-sync on and off, frame-cap both in-game and external at 60fps and none at all, windowed and fullscreen, I have even tried it on a brand new windows 10 partition. I have also tried a program called JoyToKey to emulate the mouse on the gamepad. All to no effect, is no one else experiencing this / any ideas?

Specs are: 4790k 4.6ghz / gtx 970 / 16gb 1866mhz / 250gb crucial SSD / Win 8.1

gizio

i7-4790k @ 4 GHz
MSI 970 G1 GTX
16 GB DDR3

1080p Gsync Monitor on the way

Should I get a second 970 for everything @ max? Do SLI setups and Gsync work together?

Qassim

i7-4790k @ 4 GHz
MSI 970 G1 GTX
16 GB DDR3

1080p Gsync Monitor on the way

Should I get a second 970 for everything @ max? Do SLI setups and Gsync work together?

They do, but if you use DSR you won't be able to use G-Sync + DSR + SLI all together (yet, they say it's in development). SLI + G-Sync is otherwise a good match, I'm on two 780s and a 1080p G-Sync monitor and have pretty much nothing but good experiences with them.

SoundLad

Had a quick run of this last night - got as far as the tavern and just explored some of the area outside that first village.

1080p
i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz
Gigabyte GTX 780ti OC
8GB RAM

mix of high/ultra while leaving hairworks off gives 60+ fps at all times for me it seems.
hairworks enabled is a major performance hog - game runs at ~30-50 fps

actually, with hairworks disabled I'm able to play at 2103x1183 DSR resolution at a seemingly smooth ~60 fps as well.
I would guess that in busier scenes it could come down lower but didn't experience this in my brief time in the game world.

Hairworks looks really cool but as much as I'd like to have it enabled, having a higher framerate makes the game look and feel much better so the trade off isn't worth it.
If you have a GTX 780 ti you will be fine playing this.

gizio

They do, but if you use DSR you won't be able to use G-Sync + DSR + SLI altogether (yet, they say it's in development). SLI + G-Sync is otherwise a good match, I'm on two 780s and a 1080p G-Sync monitor and have pretty much nothing but good experiences with them.

thx for the reply, much appreciated.
Ok time to put hands on my wallet, again ...

Foxix Von

Did... I... just break something? So, I've been fiddling around in the game for shits and giggles just to see how it runs on my PC. I've got 2 290xs in crossfire and have been having some trouble with it.

For some reason the game flickers like crazy on my monitor via DVI. However that doesn't seem to be the case using HDMI out to my TV. Using big picture mode to automatically make my TV my primary display gets rid of almost all my issues. I decided to adjust some stuff in the crossfire profile settings and figured I'd try setting it to AFR friendly. Now on my main monitor it looks like this pile of garbage:
8cdmAJM.jpg

Displaying out to my monitor though, ends up looking fine? I must be sleepy and losing my mind because as far as I can tell performance for me seems about the same between 2560x1440 and 3200x1800. I get a fairly consistent 30fps with everything on ultra except for hairworks at 4k? According to CCC the second GPU isn't even active... what in the hell?

viveks86

For those interested, following are the INI settings I used. There were so many variables I tweaked that I don't fully remember what I did.

Please do not hold me responsible if this crashes your system or breaks up your marriage. I followed Andy's guidelines for half of it. The rest, well, I was just a monkey with a spanner. I wanted to document everything the way Andy did so well, but I had no time or sleep. Just run the original user settings file against a text compare tool and you will see what I've changed (if you are so inclined). Good luck and let me know how it goes.

The only issue I've noticed is that some cutscenes that I remember having strong depth of field do not show it anymore. Have no idea why. Other than that I haven't really noticed any pop-in or streaming issues that accompany an open world game. I've got way too many screenshots that I need to organize, so for now, please bear with me for reposting the ones I posted earlier.

Also, this is still a work in progress. Shadows tend to be over exaggerated if the conditions are too bright. It still looks great, but some areas can get completed drowned in shadows. Will try to fix that. But I want to play the game as well, so we'll see!

My configuration:

Inter 5930k hexacore OC @4.4 Ghz
Titan X 2xSLI OC @+200/+400
16 GB DDR4 3000Mhz Ram
1 TB Samsung Evo SSD
Asus x99-A motherboard
Seasonic 1200W Platinum PSU
Corsair 500R case
Corsair AF120 Fans
H105 Water cooling
Logitech wireless KB
Logitech G930 headset
Windows 8.1

Resolution: 1440p. 4K60 ultra was too much for my rig with hairworks. It was possible without, but I had no headroom for these tweaks. And I don't have a gsync monitor, so 60fps vsync or bust. If CDPR can optimize even by 10%, I should be able to bump it up to 1620p.

FPS w/ ultra w/o tweaks: 90-105
FPS w/ ultra + tweaks: 70-90

[Gameplay/EntityPool]
SpawnedLimit=150
[Hidden]
HasSetup=true
uiVerticalFrameScale=1
uiHorizontalFrameScale=1
[Localization]
SpeechLanguage=EN
TextLanguage=EN
Subtitles=false
[Viewport]
VSync=false
Resolution="2560x1440"
FullScreenMode=2
VSyncThreshold=0
OutputMonitor=-1
[Hud]
Minimap2Module=false
MessageModule=false
OnelinersModule=false
ItemInfoModule=false
HudSize=0
QuestsModule=false
BuffsModule=false
ConsoleModule=false
WolfMedalion=false
CompanionModule=false
ControlsFeedbackModule=false
[Budget]
cvMaxAllowedLightsShadowTime=1
cvMaxAllowedApexDestroTickedTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedGrass=30000
cvMaxAllowedDecalsDynamic=10
cvMaxAllowedDynMeshes=104857600
cvMaxAllowedChunksSkinnedTime=2.5
cvMaxAllowedTrianglesSkinned=100000
cvMaxAllowedDecalsSSTime=0.1
cvMaxAllowedLightsShadow=5
TerrainTileMipDataBudget=300
cvMaxAllowedApexTicked=60
cvMaxAllowedActiveEnvProbesTime=0.1
cvMaxAllowedStatTextures=314572800
cvMaxAllowedSpeedTree=5000
cvMaxAllowedLightsNonShadowsTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedSpeedTreeTime=2.2
cvMaxAllowedChunksStatic=1500
cvMaxAllowedTrianglesStatic=700000
cvMaxAllowedHiresChunks=25
cvMaxAllowedDecalsDynamicTime=0.5
cvMaxAllowedLightsNonShadows=40
cvMaxAllowedChunksStaticTime=1.5
cvMaxAllowedChunksSkinned=400
cvMaxAllowedApexDestroTicked=20
cvMaxAllowedStatMeshes=229715200
TerrainTileMinTimeout=2
cvMaxAllowedHiresChunksTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedApexTickedTime=0.5
cvMaxAllowedCharTextures=209715200
cvMaxAllowedParticlesCountTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedParticlesCount=1000
cvMaxAllowedGrassTime=1.5
TerrainTileTimeout=10
OcclusionQueryAdditionalMemory=5
TerrainTileLoadingTimeout=5
cvMaxAllowedDecalsSS=200
[Audio]
SoundVolume=90
MusicVolume=90
Subtitles=true
[LoadingScreen/TCR]
ShowProgress=true
[Game]
DoNotPauseWhileStopped=false
[PostProcess]
AllowChromaticAberration=false
MotionBlurPositionTreshold=0.05
MotionBlurRotationTreshold=1
SSAOSolution=2
[Input]
PadVibrationEnabled=true
KeyboardCooldownSpeed=0.1
InvertCameraXOnMouse=false
InvertCameraYOnMouse=false
CameraAutoRotX=true
InvertCameraX=false
UIMouseSensitivity=1.05
CameraAutoRotY=true
RightStickCameraSensitivity=1.29592
InvertCameraY=true
RightStickAimSensitivity=1.29592
MouseSensitivity=1.15
[Gameplay]
Difficulty=3
[LevelOfDetail]
SwarmHideDistance=200
DecalsHideDistance=80
DimmerHideDistance=60
DynamicDecalsHideDistance=20
StripeHideDistance=60
[General]
ConfigVersion=1
[LoadingScreen/Editor]
Disabled=false
[LoadingOverlay/TCR]
FadeOutCooldownExtraTime=1
FadeInSpinnerTime=1
NoninteractiveSpinnerTime=3
FadeOutSpinnerTime=1
NoninteractiveEndCooldown=1
[Visuals]
InventoryBgColorScaleB=0.036
InventoryFixedLuminance=0.25
InventoryBgColorScaleG=0.034
MovieFramerate=30
GammaValue=1.02
InventoryBgColorScaleR=0.02
[Rendering]
GrassDensity=3000
DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff=40
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimit=10
GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=64
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=50
CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=1
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=3
TextureStreamingDistanceLimit=200000
TextureMemoryBudget=2400
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=1.5
MeshLODDistanceScale=2
ScaleformTextureUnstreamDelay=2.5
DecalsChance=2
TerrainReadAheadDistance=400
HairWorksLevel=2
TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThreshold=1.2
MaxTerrainShadowAtlasCount=4
TextureInFlightCountBudget=12
TerrainErrorMetricMultiplier=4
CascadeShadowmapSize=3072
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=1
MeshRenderingDistanceScale=2
CascadeShadowQuality=4
HairWorksAALevel=4
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=4
[Input/Gestures]
EnableSwipe=true
EnablePan=true
EnableGestures=true
EnablePinch=true
[LoadingScreen]
FadeInTime=3
SkipShowWithAnyKey=true
GameRevealTime=3
SkipHideDelay=3
SkipInputDelay=0.25
FadeOutTime=1.5
SkipAutoshow=false
[Engine]
LimitFPS=0
[Rendering/SpeedTree]
GrassGenerationEfficiency=0.001
GrassDistanceScale=2.4
FoliageDistanceScale=4
FoliageShadowDistanceScale=54
GrassRingSize=16777216
[Save]
ShowCompatWarning=false
[Kinect]
Kinect=true
[Foliage]
MaxVisibilityDepth=24

Sample screens:

witcher32015-05-1821-39-32-9054539.png

witcher32015-05-1821-20-54-75.png

witcher32015-05-1820-26-23-35.png

witcher32015-05-1820-41-52-44.png

witcher32015-05-1820-25-48-27.png

witcher32015-05-1820-24-41-21.png

witcher32015-05-1819-51-48-42.png

witcher32015-05-1819-23-29-36.png

witcher32015-05-1822-01-21-4134b78.png

You can manually set the frame limit in the user.settings config file.

I have VSync set to "1/3 refresh rate" in Nvidia Inspector, but thanks anyway!

I'm just curious why it isn't a thing yet. Shouldn't even be fixed values, why not offer an option to put in what value you want?

LogN

Well.. I have an i7-4770k, 16gb DDR3 RAM and a GTX980..

So, with the game at 1080p and full Ultra settings and all post-processing turned on, I get approximately 52-60fps with Hairworks on.

As soon as I turn Hairworks off, boom right to 85fps. Despite how good it looks, I think I'll leave it off for sake of the framerate, as I'm using a 144hz monitor, the dips below 60 are very noticeable sadly.

MisterM

How are frametimes when frame limiting to 30fps using the in-game settings? Specifically for AMD cards?

I've had great trouble in the past trying to maintain a "smooth" 30fps with frame limiting. I'm not sure if something like Nvidia's Adaptive Half Refresh exists for AMD users which apparently makes 30fps on the PC feel Console Smooth™

What the fuck... The price for the Witcher 3 on Steam here in Australia leading up to release was $84 with a 10% discount if you pre-purchased and a further 5% off if you owned one of the previous games. I grudgingly pre-purchased it for $71.39 USD with the discounts and then waited for release.

Now that the game is out the listed price is $59.99 USD! And that's without any discounts! Why the fuck would that even happen? Does Australia need to get screwed at every turn when it comes to games? Goddamn it!

Kaze2212

For those interested, following are the INI settings I used. There were so many variables I tweaked that I don't fully remember what I did.

Please do not hold me responsible if this crashes your system or breaks up your marriage. I followed Andy's guidelines for half of it. The rest, well, I was just a monkey with a spanner. I wanted to document everything the way Andy did so well, but I had no time or sleep. Just run the original user settings file against a text compare tool and you will see what I've changed (if you are so inclined). Good luck and let me know how it goes.

The only issue I've noticed is that some cutscenes that I remember having strong depth of field do not show it anymore. Have no idea why. Other than that I haven't really noticed any pop-in or streaming issues that accompany an open world game. I've got way too many screenshots that I need to organize, so for now, please bear with me for reposting the ones I posted earlier.

Also, this is still a work in progress. Shadows tend to be over exaggerated if the conditions are too bright. It still looks great, but some areas can get completed drowned in shadows. Will try to fix that. But I want to play the game as well, so we'll see!

My configuration:

Inter 5930k hexacore OC @4.4 Ghz
Titan X 2xSLI OC @+200/+400
16 GB DDR4 3000Mhz Ram
1 TB Samsung Evo SSD
Asus x99-A motherboard
Seasonic 1200W Platinum PSU
Corsair 500R case
Corsair AF120 Fans
H105 Water cooling
Logitech wireless KB
Logitech G930 headset
Windows 8.1

Resolution: 1440p. 4K60 ultra was too much for my rig with hairworks. It was possible without, but I had no headroom for these tweaks. And I don't have a gsync monitor, so 60fps vsync or bust. If CDPR can optimize even by 10%, I should be able to bump it up to 1620p.

FPS w/ ultra w/o tweaks: 90-105
FPS w/ ultra + tweaks: 70-90

Sample screens:

SCREENS

You da man. Can't wait to see my configuration die with these settings!

Zakalwe

Banned
I already posted earlier that I already revert back to stock speed and the game still CTD without any error message after the New Game intro video lol.

Again, I sound like a broken radio but I'm really the odd anomaly in this world to suffer this problem. :(

Tried rolling back drivers? Some have said this helped with the issue.

It sucks being the one the crashes seem to be picking on, I've been there. :(

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Hey gaf, this is a follow up to what I mentioned before about my issue with horizontal panning stutter when using a 360 pad (it is not present when using the mouse).

https://youtu.be/40i92-eKA0w (first I use gamepad then switch to mouse)

Things I have tried so far: v-sync on and off, frame-cap both in-game and external at 60fps and none at all, windowed and fullscreen, I have even tried it on a brand new windows 10 partition. I have also tried a program called JoyToKey to emulate the mouse on the gamepad. All to no effect, is no one else experiencing this / any ideas?

Specs are: 4790k 4.6ghz / gtx 970 / 16gb 1866mhz / 250gb crucial SSD / Win 8.1
Thanks for sharing this, now i've figured out what my problem is. I'm having the exact same issue. Steady framerate, but when using the right stick on the gamepad it get's really stuttery. :(

Joey Ravn

Banned
I had this same issue.

Go to [game install directory]\bin\x64 and rename the file Galaxy.dll to Galaxy.dll.bak. You'll get an error message saying that the file is missing when you attempt to launch the game, but after dismissing it the game will start.

Edit: Alternatively, download, install and have GoG Galaxy running when you attempt to launch the game. It seems they've inadvertently tied even the non-Galaxy version to Galaxy.

Ah, thanks. That did the trick. So much for the "DRM free revolution"... I think my experience with GOG will be limited to old games from now on.

Zakalwe

Banned
Do we know what are the the best settings to play on ultra & 60 fps using a 970?

You're probably not going to get ultra across the board on a single 970 unless you go sub 1080.

Looks like a mix of high/ultra with hairworks off at 1080p for 60fps with that GPU. Foliage quality to high for sure, the rest you'll have to tweak.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I'm surprised that so many here are so quick in turning off Hair Works.
Doesnt it look so much better on?
I turned Foilage Distance down to High, with everything else on Ultra and Hairworks On for 50-60fps.

GTX 980
I7 4790 (no k)
16GB RAM

tauke

Tried rolling back drivers? Some have said this helped with the issue.

It sucks being the one the crashes seem to be picking on, I've been there. :(

Rollback to GTA V Game Ready driver and still doesn't work. Only thing I can do is to wait for the download to finish in 16 more hours lol.

I'll occupied myself with other stuff for the time being and hopefully there is a hotfix in the next few days that can remedy the random CTD that others facing too like accessing the inventory.

Top Bottom