• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

owasog

How much heat can the MSI GTX970 generally withstand? Seems to be reaching around 75 celsius at times with TW3 (hovers around 50 to 70 usually). I wouldn't ask normally since it doesn't sound too high, but the fans are making quite a lot of noise.
The 970/980 reduce the boost clockspeed when they reach 80C, so I guess everything below that is fine.

Sakinavir

Neo Member
I tried the ini file edit but the movies still stutter like mad. The opening movie sits at 60fps and is a lot smoother but the in-game movies are stuttery and stuck at 28fps.

It is this sort of *@#! that bothers me about any generation of card I buy into. How long before the 900 series is 'abandoned'?

As always I found shadows to have a pretty big impact (5fps) from high to ultra so that has been cut down to high in my settings.

I am running with a GTX 970 @1516MHz / I5-3570k @4.3GHz / 8GB RAM / MX100 SSD / 1080p/60fps with the following:

Motion Blur = Off
Blur = On
Antialiasing = Off
Bloom = On
Sharpening = On
Ambient Occlusion = HBAO+
Chromatic Aberration = Off
Depth of Field = On
Vignetting = On
Light Shafts = On
Vsync = Off
Maximum Frames = Unlimited
Resolution = 1920x1080
Display mode = Fullscreen
Hairworks = Off :(
Background Characters = Ultra
Shadows = High
Terrain Quality = Ultra
Water = Ultra
Grass Density = High
Texture Quality = Ultra
Foliage Visibility = Ultra
Detail Level = Ultra

I have set a Witcher 3-specific profile in nVidia control panel with the following pertinent settings:

Anisotropic filtering = 16x
Antialiasing - FXAA = On
Antialiasing - Transparency = Off (I have a feeling it was causing some odd meshing issues on certain objects)
Maximum Pre-rendered frames = 1
Power Management = Prefer maximum performance
Texture Filtering - Negative LOD bias = Allow
Vertical Sync = Adaptive

nVidia Inspector
Texture Filtering - LOD Bias (DX) = -0.5000

I am not using any framerate capping software in conjunction with this game.

I've had a good old wander around White Orchard and my framerate is staying at 60fps with only occasional drops; no stutters or hitches. I anticipate some issues to arise as I progress (if areas are more detailed and demanding) but it is a good base to work from if this happens.

I am having constant 60fps on my gtx 970 and 4770k. Foliage is set on high and hairworks off. Everything else is maxed out.

mdsfx

G1 GTX 970 @ +100/150
i5 3570k @ 4.4
16GB ram

Turned on power settings to Max performance
Full screen
Everything ultra, but foliage distance on high
Hair settings off

Was running great at 55-60 FPS for over an hour then 2 crashes randomly. GPU never got above 62 degrees. Wtf

:(

Edit: this game is still totally worth the occasional crashes. So fucking good I can't stand it.

G1 GTX 970 @ +100/150
i5 3570k @ 4.4
16GB ram

Turned on power settings to Max performance
Full screen
Everything ultra, but foliage distance on high
Hair settings off

Was running great at 55-60 FPS for over an hour then 2 crashes randomly. GPU never got above 62 degrees. Wtf

:(

Remove OC is the first thing to do when crashes happen.

Not that I know of. I like AMD's ethics, I just wish their products were really competitive. Nvidia has me by the balls and I hate it.

This is really rather worrying. I am not someone that jumps onto a new card every generation; I felt I moved too quickly from my 670 to 970 but a good price deal was on offer plus a Ubisoft game code I was able to sale onto a Gaf member. I am okay to knock settings down but I am not happy if I am turning them down because of some artificial shenanigans.

After the 970 3.5GB VRAM debacle and the lack of empathy/sympathy/contrition from nVidia it does make me wonder if 'older' cards would be *ahem*
'sabotaged'
when a new generation is released.

Ilmyr

Okay, I don't know if anyone else posted already, but, this is really weird.

If I alt+tab on the main menu, the secondary GPU usage goes to the roof.

My settings are on ultra.

My rig is i7@3.5Ghz, 8GbRAM, 2xGTX970

Anyone else noticed this?

http://imgur.com/fbNpn8L

Bottom graphic is usage, top is temperature. When I'm on the main menu, everything is below 20%, when I'm alt+tab'd, 90%.

I have the exact same problem. But i did not do it on the main menu. I was ingame already.
And it seems Witcher 3 can overheat my system and i DON'T KNOW WHY!

My rig: all hardware just 5 weeks old.
- Intel i7 4790k (4Ghz) + Scythe Mugen 4 Cooler
- Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 (BIOS up to date)
- Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (BIOS up to date)
- 16 GB RAM
- Corsair Graphite 600T (2x 200m cooler + 1x 120mm cooler) Airflow should be fine(!)

Witcher 3 settings:
- 1080p fullscreen, Ultra preset
- Frame limiter to 60
- Hairworks OFF
- All postprocessing effects OFF, except Light shafts

--> Result: 55-60 fps <- i was happy with that!

But...

TEMPERATURE (taken by hwmonitor):
CPU: Idle ~24° C -> Max. 72° C
GPU: Idle ~27° C -> Max. 78° C

Both CPU and GPU are way too high imho.
I can also confirm a 99% GPU load while i was alt+tab'd.

I even got 2 BSOD (!) while i was alt+tab'd on the desktop and the game still running in the background. I did not analyze the crashdump files yet, so i cannot tell if its related to overheat. But so far i never had any bluescreens in other games yet.

Still don't know what the problem is... 60 fps, no stuttering, no frame drops, rare crashes-to-desktop... but i can't find a solution for the high temperature (which is way higher than its supposed to be) :(

GTA 5 @ Ultra settings (no MSAA) is running perfectly fine and the system does not seem to generate any noticeable heat. Its cool.

Would be grateful for any suggestions how to approach this problem.

Remove OC is the first thing to do when crashes happen.

I don't believe for one second this has anything to do with it. I've had crashes with and without the overclocks and even had a consistent 3 hour session with an overclock. I don't think anyone is going to find the magic bullet when it comes to preventing them, but I will say that the inventory menu seems to cause it more often.

How much of a boost?

5-10fps reportedly.

mdsfx

I have to be honest, I find the "hair" setting obsession hilarious. Of all the things to focus on. The fact that there is a specific setting for it cracks me up.

Fucking great, my gtx 970 has just died...getting crazy coloured blocks and missing textures all over the screen before it freezes.... :( tried other games, definitely the GPU :(

I'm pretty sure The Witcher 3 almost destroyed my 970 as well, getting my PC to crash many times and my computer stopped turning on after about 4 crashes. I was able to turn it on again after a while, and the first thing i did in the game was to disable Hairworks, activate the accelaration thing in Graphics, set everything to high and disabled many of the post processing effects. Also removed the frame cap (to unlimited). Runs 60 without any issues now.

I don't know who fucked up, CD Project or Nvidia, but one (or both) did a very bad job.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The only issue I've had is with grass and foliage occasionally popping in and out. And not the entire scene but nearby rendered foliage. I've maxed the game out and pushed the INI settings up so maybe lowering something might stop that. Otherwise running locked 30 with well beyond maxed out settings at 1440p.

owasog

Yet regardless, my point still stands. Kepler has been purposely crippled by Nvidia. Anyone who thinks Kepler is performing normally in comparison to the other cards is completely delusional, period. A 960 beating a 780? Makes sense, for sure. A Titan beating a 960 by only 2fps? Makes sense, for sure. A 780 Ti losing to an R9 290? Makes sense for sure.

And why is it that people rolling back to older drivers are getting significant performance improvements? Oh wait I guess that's normal too, isn't it?
It could be just how Witcher 3 is using the GPU. Look at this. Triangle Rate is good for Maxwell, Hawaii and Tonga. Not so good for the rest, including Kepler.

I'm pretty sure The Witcher 3 almost destroyed my 970 as well, getting my PC to crash many times and my computer stopped turning on after about 4 crashes. I was able to turn it on again after a while, and the first thing i did in the game was to disable Hairworks, activate the accelaration thing in Graphics, set everything to high and disabled many of the post processing effects. Also removed the frame cap (to unlimited). Runs 60 without any issues now.

I don't know who fucked up, CD Project or Nvidia, but one (or both) did a very bad job.

Damn. No problems here, not a single crash with 290x.

Time to end the myth that Nvidia is problem free gaming and drivers, and AMD is trash?

The funny this is that this is an "Nvidia" sponsored game (read- purposely reduce kepler performance, they perform fine in GTAV)

H4r4kiri

Damn. No problems here, not a single crash with 290x.

Time to end the myth that Nvidia is problem free gaming and drivers, and AMD is trash?

The funny this is that this is an "Nvidia" sponsored game (read- purposely reduce kepler performance, they perform fine in GTAV)

never crashed on my 290 either

kinggroin

Banned
So no one is going to tackle this nvidia driver crippling conspiracy? I'd make the thread myself, but I've run into one too many sensitive moderators that saw it fit to remove that privilege from me.

Bandito

Neo Member
So no one is going to tackle this nvidia driver crippling conspiracy? I'd make the thread myself, but I've run into one too many sensitive moderators that saw it fit to remove that privilege from me.

It needs to be done. Gaf has the power to at least get an official response to this. Its an absolute disgrace that nvidia can see fit to completely ignore a previous line of gpus.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I can leave hairworks on and keep 60 fps on my 970 thanks to that MSAA tweak. I turned it down to 2x. It doesn't look as nice, but it's worth it. Roach gets to keep his flowing mane, I get to play with a smooth framerate. All is well.

Deciding to go with 60 fps means I'm no longer playing at 1620p, so I'll have to turn on some AA through NCP. In-game settings just aren't enough.

I've crashed about 6 or 7 times in 4 hours of play. It's annoying for sure but not killing my enjoyment (yet).

I have a gtx 970 ssc from Evga, decent factory OC. Could be what's causing it but I really don't want to have to mess with putting it back to stock clocks. Ugh.

I also have a small OC on my 2500k of 4.0ghz, really doubt that's the issue.

My Gpu does reach high 70s in temp and the fans go nuts. It's probably the gpu OC...

kinggroin

Banned
It needs to be done. Gaf has the power to at least get an official response to this. Its an absolute disgrace that nvidia can see fit to completely ignore a previous line of gpus.

Agreed.

What purpose does a forum this size serve if not to be heard by as many as possible.

Where is Derp.

BPoole

If you want to PM me an OP to post I'll do it. I don't know the details about this, but I'm all for shitting on Nvidia's horrible business ethics

buffelo

Neo Member

Some people have gotten the attention of the mods over on the geforce forums. I'm going to wait a couple of days and see what transpires there.

Ace 8095

Im getting constant crashes on my factory OC 670. I've hard the card for three years and never had an issue like this before. My OC was very stable under testing and I've played many other demanding games without issue.

kinggroin

Banned
If you want to PM me an OP to post I'll do it. I don't know the details about this, but I'm all for shitting on Nvidia's horrible business ethics

Some people have gotten the attention of the mods over on the geforce forums. I'm going to wait a couple of days and see what transpires there.

I guess we play the waiting game.

As a Kepler user myself (670) I have a vested interest in what transpires.

GPU, CPU, or both?
Your system will be the most stable when running at stock. But remove one by one and check if it gets better.

I don't believe for one second this has anything to do with it. I've had crashes with and without the overclocks and even had a consistent 3 hour session with an overclock. I don't think anyone is going to find the magic bullet when it comes to preventing them, but I will say that the inventory menu seems to cause it more often.

I am not saying the game crashes solely because of the OC. But that is one of the main reasons for ANY game to crash if the system is not fully stable and surely it has something to do with it.

For this game specifically, seems like a lot of crashes are because of bugs. Removing OC will not eliminate them but will alleviate the situation when related.

The REDengine version of TW2 is famous for testing system stability. I bet this is no different.

I can leave hairworks on and keep 60 fps on my 970 thanks to that MSAA tweak. I turned it down to 2x. It doesn't look as nice, but it's worth it. Roach gets to keep his flowing mane, I get to play with a smooth framerate. All is well.

Deciding to go with 60 fps means I'm no longer playing at 1620p, so I'll have to turn on some AA through NCP. In-game settings just aren't enough.

What's the fps cost when you do the tweaked hairworks rather than the standard in-game menus one?
I have a 970 too and currently have my config set up to play at 55-60 with no hairworks so I'm wondering how much stuff I'm going to need to cut to fit it in.

Im getting constant crashes on my factory OC 670. I've hard the card for three years and never had an issue like this before. My OC was very stable under testing and I've played many other demanding games without issue.

Don't assume necessarily that it's the clock causing the crashes by any means - a plethora of people have had issues, and plenty with high clocks have had no issues (such as myself).
If your clock is stable literally everywhere else (and especially as it's factory OC), it's pretty unlikely that you're going to need to underclock to improve stability.

Tc91

What settings are you running? I can't maintain 60 with hairworks on even at 2x tweak. It sits at 50-55, reaches 60 sometimes but not consistently.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wait. You can bind the useless Guide Button on the 360 controller? It just opening some idiotic help window has always been super dumb

Grechy34

CPU: Intel® Core&#8482; i7 4790K
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB
Memory: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB (2x8GB)

I could turn everything to Ultra and run above 60 frames consistently. Turning hairworks on throws everything off though. Was getting dips into the low 40's with it on so I've decided to turn it off. I'm hoping they release a patch which will optimise the performance of hairworks as it's the only feature right now that is killing performance mostly. Otherwise game runs excellent. I don't mind playing games at lower frame rates but dips from 50 to 40 suddenly threw me off.

I will post my experience on the Alienware Alpha i7 over the weekend once I install it on that machine.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 4790K
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB
Memory: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB (2x8GB)

I could turn everything to Ultra and run above 60 frames consistently. Turning hairworks on throws everything off though. Was getting dips into the low 40's with it on so I've decided to turn it off. I'm hoping they release a patch which will optimise the performance of hairworks as it's the only feature right now that is killing performance mostly. Otherwise game runs excellent. I don't mind playing games at lower frame rates but dips from 50 to 40 suddenly threw me off.

I will post my experience on the Alienware Alpha i7 over the weekend once I install it on that machine.

There is an antialiasing option for hairworks in the ini files; check that out if it affects performance. There is another performance-saving option but it is for AMD users (decreasing tessellation).

spuckthew

So, what are "the best" settings to get the game at 1080p/30 on a stock clock i5 4690k/stock clock MSI 970/16GB RAM?

I'm hoping to get it extremely close to what the 980 can do at 60fps, including hairworks if possible.

If you want 30fps then just crank it all the way up. I've only played for about 40 minutes but I can manage a constant 30fps with almost everything Ultra (only foliage distance turned down to High and HairWorks OFF). Was getting 65-85% GPU usage, so even my ageing GTX680 has some headroom at these high settings.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Ok a couple of notes, I have an Nvidia SLI set up and all settings are maxed out:

- water effects are missing from the beginning scene, on console when Geralt moves his leg and takes out the animal out of the tub, there are water splashes that are completely absent from the PC version.

- the tweaks in the Nvidia guide with the two commands for shadow distance actually seem to lower the shadow quality overall, I tested this thoroughly yesterday and confirmed it with screenshots. I'll show the screenshots later today when I'm done with work.

Gbraga

I don't know, man, as a 680 user, I'm quite happy with the performance. Following SalsaShark's recommendation, I've also bumped terrain and detail to Ultra.

Now I have Terrain, Textures and Detail on Ultra, Shadows on medium, everything else on High and HBAO+, so far at a solid 30fps, with the possibility of having some framerate to spare ending that stream thing, so that more demanding scenes don't make me downgrade it even more (no idea of how it's running unlocked, if I already have some room or if it's too close to 30).

It's definitely better than I expected. A bit of a bummer that I can't get solid 60 even on Low, but mostly High/Ultra settings at 30 is really really good.

Are older games performing worse now? If they're not, the worst case scenario would be Nvidia focusing on Maxwell and not optimizing Kepler anymore, but that's hardly a conspiracy. It's not like the performance is worse than it would be on older drivers, is it?

Top Bottom